Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The answer to any question about why people do X when it's bad for them is people don't care. They're not misinformed. They're not delusional. They just don't care.

The ironic part is one thing people do truly "care" about is appearing that they do in fact care. Only appearing to care though, because actual care would require effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Tips for buying a smart speaker: 1) annihilate one’s sense of self 2) understand all human interactions as purely transactional 3) keep an eye out for Black Friday deals

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The answer to any question about why people do X when it's bad for them is people don't care. They're not misinformed. They're not delusional. They just don't care.

More to the point, they haven't given any thought to it. People simply don't think about these issues when they buy an Alexa.

Kazak fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 30, 2019

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
:chord: the speakers are smart; the owners, however,

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

Your phone and devices are spying on you, but not through audio recording. You know how much storage space and bandwidth it would take to be constantly uploading and storing audio? You can monitor upload data from your phone, and it's pretty quick and easy to see that it is not uploading even remotely enough date to contain live audio recording.

They just record things like location data, search results and webpages visited. Still dystopian as gently caress and a huge problem. But no, they're not recording and listening to everything you say. Yet.

Ok. Explain this. I have an iPhone and an Echo Dot. I have no pets so I have not been searching for anything pet-related. My cousin calls me, and in the course of our conversation, we talk about the problems he is having house training his new puppy and that he got some indoor grass pee area or something for inside the house. Later that day, my mom called me and I told her about it. Short conversation. Now I’m being bombarded with ads on Facebook for indoor grass pee areas for dogs from Amazon.

Calypso fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 30, 2019

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
people who are in your social circle searched for those things and thus you might also find these products useful and/or consider giving them as gifts. delete facebook

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

eh, this was a bit much. never mind.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd tell you people worrying about robotic overlords to maybe just ask your Alexa to read Chicken Little to you. :smuggo:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Alexa, please dehumanize me in preparation for the robot revolution.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

OMFG FURRY posted:

people who are in your social circle searched for those things and thus you might also find these products useful and/or consider giving them as gifts. delete facebook

even then Facebook will keep a profile on you and track you from your friends’ info and you’ll still get spooky ads lol

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Because, according to the one my dad uses, sometimes instead of simply looking up an actors name on my phone I need to spend ten minutes shouting across the room at a computer that doesn’t understand my accent irritating the gently caress out of everyone around me.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Google was recently dumping free Nest Minis onto everyone
I got one of them because "ay free poo poo!" but haven't even opened the box it came in since what the gently caress is this thing even for?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Google was recently dumping free Nest Minis onto everyone
I got one of them because "ay free poo poo!" but haven't even opened the box it came in since what the gently caress is this thing even for?

To make money off you

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Tonight I was cooking and realized we were running low on oregano so I just said "Hey Google, tell Walmart to add Oregano" and now some person will drive to Walmart and pick it up for me and deliver it to my door this weekend.

The future is real.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Three Olives posted:

Tonight I was cooking and realized we were running low on oregano so I just said "Hey Google, tell Walmart to add Oregano" and now some person will drive to Walmart and pick it up for me and deliver it to my door this weekend.

I can’t imagine being willing to admit this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My parents have a nest thermostat. It has pretty much perfectly figured out their schedule, and the basic thermal characteristics of their house, to automatically reduce the heat around bedtime and turn it back up in time for them to wake up in a warm house. They're retired, but it does know they go to church on Sundays and turns it down then as well. If you're up/home when it doesn't expect you it'll fix itself when it detects you walking past and update the schedule as needed. Thermostats have been able to do this for ages but I don't think anyone has ever actually programmed one, and it genuinely saves a lot of money and energy. It's amazing aside from the whole part where a schedule of when you're not home is constantly maintained in the cloud somewhere, and that Google is presumably selling this information to unknown parties.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 31, 2019

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Personally, I find it super convenient when I go to search for something I was just talking about the perfect search phrase pops up after I type one letter.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Idk, I have a seven day multiple timeframe one that doesn’t require a subscription, and the savings would likely be minuscule as our schedule doesn’t change. I mean I blow money on poo poo too, but it’s not saving the planet having a nest. Honeywell has sold these for years w a low volt connector w no internet.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Idk, I have a seven day multiple timeframe one that doesn’t require a subscription, and the savings would likely be minuscule as our schedule doesn’t change. I mean I blow money on poo poo too, but it’s not saving the planet having a nest. Honeywell has sold these for years w a low volt connector w no internet.

It's not huge, but it does add up and if every thermostat did it automatically without the privacy features it would amount to big energy savings. Not that it'll be paying off the retail price in a hurry.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

poverty goat posted:

It's not huge, but it does add up and if every thermostat did it automatically without the privacy features it would amount to big energy savings. Not that it'll be paying off the retail price in a hurry.

Most people can’t remeber their email passwords. Much less a nest one as well. *has a nest camera system reppin the olds

IoT is complete garbage unless in edge use cases. (Mine)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Most power companies have rebate programs for buying a smart thermostat like a Nest, so it's probably worthwhile if you're interested.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I test a lot of iot / smart devices at work and they hardly seem worth putting in your home. For the convenience of being able to yell at a small box to unlock your doors they do a ton of dumb, insecure poo poo. I also don't trust companies to not brick your poo poo to get you to upgrade.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Most power companies have rebate programs for buying a smart thermostat like a Nest, so it's probably worthwhile if you're interested.

Just checked mine. 50% off purchase price not including installation tax etc. good for younger folks I guess.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I can’t imagine being willing to admit this.

Buying groceries is a traumatizing experience that we accept because we don't know there are better choices you can make.

$100 a year and someone brings them to me, I will not apologize for advocating for people to try and live a better life.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Tips for buying a smart speaker: 1) annihilate one’s sense of self 2) understand all human interactions as purely transactional 3) keep an eye out for Black Friday deals

Actually I just make my own , it's a Linux thing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I know a guy who argues that he has nothing to hide, so there’s no reason to care about smart device surveillance, be it by the government or a corporation.

Sort of correct? Except the dude is also a closeted alcoholic with health issues and you can bet your rear end his insurance company is keeping tabs on where his pictures are taken (bars, always bars).

God knows what algorithms banks have for determining mortgages and loans now that they can get access to social media and iot devices.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Three Olives posted:

Buying groceries is a traumatizing experience that we accept because we don't know there are better choices you can make.

$100 a year and someone brings them to me, I will not apologize for advocating for people to try and live a better life.

lol you truly are wretched

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Fruits of the sea posted:

I know a guy who argues that he has nothing to hide, so there’s no reason to care about smart device surveillance, be it by the government or a corporation.

Sort of correct? Except the dude is also a closeted alcoholic with health issues and you can bet your rear end his insurance company is keeping tabs on where his pictures are taken (bars, always bars).

God knows what algorithms banks have for determining mortgages and loans now that they can get access to social media and iot devices.

In all fairness you probably could conceivably imagine some fictional utopia where this happens and isn't abused to gently caress, but anyone who convinces themselves it's going to work that way in the real world is probably also a libertarian.

This turned into a (different) rant really fast but I'll post it anyway; I think a lot of people probably fall into the trap of thinking that surviving into adulthood in a first world country means that country is doing everything right, in a sense, and more importantly YOU did everything right. Not a conscious idea, I'm sure, but from speaking with boomers (e: and this all applies to everyone, of course, but it's usually more pronounced in boomers) I get the feeling that they measure success much like Trump does. Do you, personally, FEEL successful in any way? If yes, then you ARE successful and that success is all attributable to everything you did before arriving at this point in time, and, vice versa, everything you did was true and good and should be emulated in order to succeed. But because of this equivalence, anyone doing things differently is arbitrarily straying from the tested and true path that YOU KNOW works, because you lived it. Thus, the Other becomes naive and misguided at best, and directly opposed to your way of life at worst.

Oh and can I also get a large coke and fries?

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 31, 2019

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Three olives is the best troll there ever was :worship:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If I have to look at a grocery clerk in the face again I'll die. I'll jiust loving die.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
proof that automation is CREATING jobs, yes!! thank you three olives, job creator, nic!e!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zmtsE22dU

I can't loving wait.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

realbez posted:

On a related topic don’t send your DNA to those ancestry websites

Too late, we should all just be DNA'd at birth now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Literally every relative one generation up and higher decided to get themselves DNAd so I'm hosed anyways

Smart speakers still stupid as gently caress