Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The_Franz posted:

windows desktop is just bad now and getting worse. they've given up all pretenses of being anything but a bootloader for office and games

linux desktop is fine if you stick with red hat who make a supported product people actually use. if you want to go full on :spergin: with some custom hackjob poo poo you're on your own

You don't use a computer to use the os, you use it to do things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
linux is The One True Operating System (TOTOS) as given to us by our lord and savior st iGNUcious

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
for real though if you're doing backend work or you're into embedded systems, linux is where it's at - even with all of its bullshit

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
still amazes me that people don't find windows frustrating and obnoxious to use

linux is a fine daily driver, especially when i'm at home and my largest needs are 'can i stream something from shudder or hulu or whatever? i can? cool great' or 'can i play this game in steam? oh right of course i can'

giving someone a computer soon and you know they're getting that poo poo preinstalled with a lunix and steam to demonstrate that, yeah, you probably don't need a windows license for a whole lot of use cases

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nah, the operating system is a piece of poo poo.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kazinsal posted:

i3 users should just get a pdp-11 and a whack of vt100s. they'd get the same experience and wouldn't be able to post on the internet about how good using the X equivalent of gnu screen is

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
just lol if you use gnu screen over tmux

get with the times, gramps

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

i like both

one reason to use screen is to not get a stupid green bar at the bottom

and before anyone wheezes in, no, im not gonna janitor a config for such a thing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

psiox posted:

still amazes me that people don't find windows frustrating and obnoxious to use

idk, maybe some people like digging through vendor web sites for drivers, two control panels with settings buried 10 menus deep, every app having it's own bespoke update service, 1 gigabyte printer drivers that pop up huge fullscreen updates and litter the desktop with links to buy overpriced supplies and the inherent slowness that comes from oems filling default installs with 3 different security suite trials. then you have some vendors that use efi trickery to reinstall their bespoke crapware automatically even if you try to wipe things and start fresh

does windows even come with a real pdf viewer yet, not counting that useless metro poo poo they shipped with 8?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The_Franz posted:

idk, maybe some people like digging through vendor web sites for drivers, two control panels with settings buried 10 menus deep, every app having it's own bespoke update service, 1 gigabyte printer drivers that pop up huge fullscreen updates and litter the desktop with links to buy overpriced supplies and the inherent slowness that comes from oems filling default installs with 3 different security suite trials. then you have some vendors that use efi trickery to reinstall their bespoke crapware automatically even if you try to wipe things and start fresh

non of this ever happens unless you are the type of person who buys computers from supermarkets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neslepaks posted:

i like both

one reason to use screen is to not get a stupid green bar at the bottom

and before anyone wheezes in, no, im not gonna janitor a config for such a thing

if you're posting in yospos and refer to one line in a config file as "janitoring" you might have taken a wrong turn at albuquerque

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im trying to imagine the proficiency level of somebody that opens a terminal window and types things but absolutely will not make any modifications to whatever default configs yum jammed in their dotfiles

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

you might be bad at computers op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just because you can janitor a computer doesn’t mean you should

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i left a linux on the laptop that I gave to my sister

she put windows 7 on it at some point instead

linux has failed

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

im trying to imagine the proficiency level of somebody that opens a terminal window and types things but absolutely will not make any modifications to whatever default configs yum jammed in their dotfiles

screen and tmux are for running crap on rando computers. thats literally what theyre for. lol i u think im gonna keep a config on 600 systems

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neslepaks posted:

screen and tmux are for running crap on rando computers. thats literally what theyre for. lol i u think im gonna keep a config on 600 systems

what sort of garbage dumpster op do you work at that doesnt have home directory structures pushed via central management? yall just renting aws clusters and slapping the Amazon Linux button and telling people you're a "cloud" company?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

what sort of garbage dumpster op do you work at that doesnt have home directory structures pushed via central management? yall just renting aws clusters and slapping the Amazon Linux button and telling people you're a "cloud" company?

:ninja:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

yes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nerds love to enforce their preferences on everyone else, because it makes them feel "correct" and superior. this is why they demand that every aspect of a program's functionality be configurable and also refuse to ever configure anything

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

applies to so many companies

posting because i was gaming in windows and needed to reboot into linux but it is “getting windows ready” which will take who knows how long because gently caress you

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

carry on then posted:

nerds love to enforce their preferences on everyone else, because it makes them feel "correct" and superior. this is why they demand that every aspect of a program's functionality be configurable and also refuse to ever configure anything

i have to admit, i’m still rollin’ on a company vim config from a few years back because it is a good one and i’m lazy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

does windows even come with a real pdf viewer yet, not counting that useless metro poo poo they shipped with 8?

this should be first post

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

replicating /home, or worse using NFS, is a terrible idea. anything that makes ssh easier or more pleasant should be avoided

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
chef or whatever config management system will do it just fine. It's not a terrible idea at all.

i don't think masochist hot takes about how we should have to work harder when we do our jobs is valid tbh. that's validating the antiquated RMS/ESR 'techno-priesthood' model and is reactionary and anti-labor.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

linux is The One True Operating System (TOTOS) as given to us by our lord and savior st iGNUcious

that guy is an Epstein defender among other creepy things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

its bc he wants to gently caress kids hth op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
since IBM owns Linux now I can’t wait for them to rename it l/OS

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

rms is a sort of a creep, no doubting it - he's not an epstein defender at all though, that's 100% wrong and it's a hatchet job

what he said was that marvin minsky (a prof at MIT who hooked up with a couple of epstein's girls) probably didn't know they were coerced into being there

very different statement than defending epstein

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

matti
Mar 31, 2019

so just a plain sex weirdo instead of a mega sex weirdo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

matti posted:

so just a plain sex weirdo instead of a mega sex weirdo

yes

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
rms has some weird and bad opinions, also he's maybe a creep and probably not a good spokesperson for free software

but he also wrote the GPL and he wrote the original gcc, gdb, gnu make, gnu emacs, some of binutils, and some of coreutils. Linux as we know it wouldn't exist without him.

we should appreciate him as a deeply flawed man who forever changed what it means to be a software engineer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

rms is a sort of a creep, no doubting it - he's not an epstein defender at all though, that's 100% wrong and it's a hatchet job

what he said was that marvin minsky (a prof at MIT who hooked up with a couple of epstein's girls) probably didn't know they were coerced into being there

very different statement than defending epstein

:thunk:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

but he also wrote the GPL and he wrote the original gcc, gdb, gnu make, gnu emacs, some of binutils, and some of coreutils. Linux as we know it wouldn't exist without him.

this is not the endorsement of his legacy you seem to think it is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this thread is not about RMS

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

chef or whatever config management system will do it just fine. It's not a terrible idea at all.

i don't think masochist hot takes about how we should have to work harder when we do our jobs is valid tbh. that's validating the antiquated RMS/ESR 'techno-priesthood' model and is reactionary and anti-labor.

nah the point is to discourage relying on ssh. if you need to ssh somewhere then at least two things have gone wrong: the problem that’s causing you to use ssh, and the fact that you need ssh to debug or fix the problem. it’s also one more thing that can get hosed up and need fixing. so yeah ideally I can take the id of the Amazon-provided AMI, boot a bunch of instances from it, ship all the interesting metrics and events off the node, terminate the ones that misbehave, and investigate the next morning.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

this thread is not about RMS

i am enjoying watching poopernickel eating their whole foot. can they get up to the knee before realizing what they’re doing and logging off?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

psiox posted:

giving someone a computer soon and you know they're getting that poo poo preinstalled with a lunix and steam to demonstrate that, yeah, you probably don't need a windows license for a whole lot of use cases

nice, did you make this decision while wearing the black tee that says no i won't fix your computer or the one that says stand back.... it's time to try science

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

i use linux to run windows VMs :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'