Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Oh hey Max Comtois got his own commercial. It's really weird how the dialogue of that situation got twisted to "everyone hates Max because he missed a shootout goal" when actually everyone hated him because he was flopping all over the ice and generally playing like a spoiled selfish rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

No he was targeted with an absurd amount of Mad Online after Canada was eliminated. People were sending literal death threats to the hockey child because Canada lost in the quarters.

That penalty shot sure didn't help, but he was already in the doghouse from his antics in the rest of his tournament. I don't even really remember that penalty shot offhand but I sure remember him diving against Russia. I guess it'd be interesting to see the alternate universe where some else on the team (lets say Hayton) got that penalty shot and missed to see what sort of twitter venom came from that.

But like I said, it's a really weird rhetoric that got presented in that commercial, but I guess the end message is good and really fits the policies that hockey Canada is pushing.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Oh yeah definitely, the end result of that situation was hosed and I hope that this isn't coming off like it was anything but that. But then that's pretty much all I ever hear of from twitter so I guess there's probably a much better solution to the situation (don't go on twitter ever)

On a more relevant note, I bet Germany is going to get a permanent seat at the big boy hockey table really soon. It's becoming really obvious that they're embracing the game at a whole new level and given their resources I'll bet they start being a mainstay at all levels.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Good thing this is a preliminary round game that will probably mean nothing in the grand scheme of things cause boy howdy is this an embarrassing performance by team Canada so far.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Bahl has played pretty well in this tournament so far, but the rest of the defence for Canada absolutely honks. They look scared and lost out there and weren't much better against the Americans.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Pleads posted:

Yeah he was trying to create something every time he had the puck and now Canada is just doing lovely dump-ins/turnovers and the game is dead we're all in hell 2019 can't end soon enough.

Group will be very interesting with everybody tied in the standings.

I guess Canada is theoretically in the best spot, I think having Germany-Czech left is better than any of the other teams options. At this point it seems like the goal is top 2 in the pool to avoid Sweden and I'm assuming Finland.

Are the Slovaks any good? My initial thought is that there's a fair drop off between Sweden/Finland and Slovakia but I could be wrong.

Edit- My internet sleuthing of today's scores has led me to the conclusion that Finland is likely significantly better than Slovakia.

Shappa fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 28, 2019

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Test these russian teens for PEDs imo

100% on the gas.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Russia styled all over Canada and the Canadians response is to issue a public apology for "offending" Russia during the aftermath. Fantastic.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Congrats to team USA for claiming the “most embarrassing performance” title from team Canada. I don’t know how suspensions roll over to other leagues from this tournament but Wahlstrom needs to be on the shelf for a while.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

loving baffling that this wasn't an ejection, and Foote finishing a check on some idiot who tried going low to avoid contact and hitting him in the side is called a head shot.

Boarding not being strongly enforced is my biggest peeve about hockey reffing

Especially in this climate, it's quite amazing how hitting from behind is still tolerated and seems to fly under the radar. I guess it's because there hasn't been a "major" (as in, someone getting paralyzed) incident in the spotlight since safety was ramped up, but poo poo like this is much, much more dangerous than the "hits to the head" that have been grabbing headlines.

Like, yeah, concussions are terrible and all, but a hit like that taken in the wrong way and someone's never walking again. Thankfully it is enforced very strongly at the youth levels where players aren't as good at protecting themselves and are still learning how to deliver and take checks.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

Watching this god awful promo song leading into the gold medal game on TSN and I just recalled something. Does anyone else remember that terrible Pepsi cheer they came up with around 8 years ago? The Eh Oh Canada Go one? They basically spend the whole tournament pushing it on people like it was a good idea and it flopped really hard. This song reminds me of that, a lot.

Shappa fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 5, 2020

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

I can’t recall a single body check by a team canada player this game and the results of that are very apparent in the way this game is going.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

There’s the first. And look, Canada got a chance right after. Weird how that happens.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

If that’s not a goal this game is definitely fixed instead of it only probably being fixed.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

I can’t believe Canada won that game. Officiating, as usual in this tournament, was questionable at best and really had a hand in the result of this game. That said, what a meltdown by Russia and what a third period by this group.

What a tournament by Hayton too. No offense to Alexis but Hayton should probably be MVP. Very impressed by that kids ability and determination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

ilmucche posted:

The worst chant. I'm very happy it never caught on.

So the reffing was horrible in this tournament right? It's like the refs were picking up some of the commission of the guy who wrote the penalty song.

I think the reffing in this tournament is always dog poo poo because the refs they have don’t see this speed or intensity much before they get put on the spot. I don’t have the time or effort to follow this up but that’s always been my theory. That game today was an incredible pace, moreso than almost any other game in the tourney and certainly more than any other non world championship game, so it’s probably hard for them to keep up.