Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

When I reg'd my first account in like 2000 I posted in Helldump within 12 hours and was subsequently banned for breaking rules. Pretty sure my hyper-intelligent 13 year old mind just picked a forums poster at random and called them gay.

But what's the story there, what became of Helldump? From my understanding it was a place to basically build a case against one of your forum enemies and then flame and shame them into oblivion?

Why helldump closed? Maybe one of the older forum members can give us some history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Probably because it quickly turned into mentally ill creeps escalating stakes in stalking and doxing each other.

Some say it lives on elsewhere on the 'net...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It got dumped, OP.

It's in hell now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Ask not for whom the hell dumps

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It gazed back

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Probably because it quickly turned into mentally ill creeps escalating stakes in stalking and doxing each other.

Are there any cases that stand out? This makes total sense but also only fuels my intrigue.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The_Continental posted:

Are there any cases that stand out? This makes total sense but also only fuels my intrigue.

Idk I wasn't there :cheeky:

Isn't there a whole forum filled with banned goons who stalk people and date back to the early days of SA? That's without even counting all the lovely offsites.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I think it was a combination of factors - add to the above that Helldump was supposed to be for calling out awful posters, not just posters people personally had a beef with.

Near the end there were way too many personal grudges instead of body of work holy poo poo look at this loving guy posts.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The_Continental posted:

But what's the story there, what became of Helldump? From my understanding it was a place to basically build a case against one of your forum enemies and then flame and shame them into oblivion?

That's what it ended up as. At first, it functioned as a somewhat useful place to call out bad posters, creeps, and pedophiles.

Then, like most things goon related, people started taking it too far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Helldump didn't exist in 2000

Korthal
May 26, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > The Community > Helldump2K > I Discovered Shmorky's A Diaper Fur

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Helldump was more like 06 or 05.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't there a whole forum filled with banned goons who stalk people and date back to the early days of SA? That's without even counting all the lovely offsites.
do not circulate rumors, citizen

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I may have my dates wrong. I would've been starting uni in 05 and I don't recall having a registered account at the time but that may have been the case. I was also smoking weed roughly 15 times a day during those years.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Away all Goats posted:

It gazed back

this is probably the most honest answer, really.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe
I seem to remember Helldump starting off like 'look at this bad post this person made' but eventually ended up with people putting together loving multi-thousand word dossiers about every aspect of their forums enemies lives and it was incredibly weird and creepy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This is just going to end with me buying an archives upgrade, which is probably a horrible idea considering my recently unemployed status.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
heres some fun reading:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2919046

v2 bitch!!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Helldump ate itself in it's rage and anger.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

aaaah those were the days :corsair:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I seem to remember Helldump starting off like 'look at this bad post this person made' but eventually ended up with people putting together loving multi-thousand word dossiers about every aspect of their forums enemies lives and it was incredibly weird and creepy

Pretty much. There was some really funny poo poo but the internet detectives could get really fixated on a person. Helldump is gone now, but the same poo poo still happens occasionally, just not directed at goons so much. The OUYA and Star Citizen threads both had their weird obsessive phases, for example.

Good poo poo here. Images are broken, but the DVangel thread actualy did PI a lot of good. E: second page is where the good stuff starts.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 27, 2019

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Before helldump goons were innocent and earnest in their posting. All the goons making fun of goons was kept to FYAD. Helldump opened and gave the goons who werent funny or clever the opportunity to create their own goonlulz, and of course they made it weird and pathetic. From then on the bitter self hating goon became the norm and the discourse on the site never recovered.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
as others have pointed out helldump was later, I thought after 07, because I don't remember it being a thing before I had this account
we just talked about it a bit ago in the SA drama sagas thread. It was very much a creature of earlier internet when everyone was dumb enough to use the same usernames for everything, and totally ate itself, now some of the folks that got people banned would just get shrugged off as internet weirdos and the folks doing the mocking would be banned for being creepier and less mentally sound than the weirdos.

It was cool when it also had the garbage day rule, since in general people could only get banned if they came and posted in helldump. So you could just ignore it, or sometimes if there weren't any decent callouts people who did lovely jobs of trying to call someone out would eat the weekly ban.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Isaac posted:

Before helldump goons were innocent and earnest in their posting. All the goons making fun of goons was kept to FYAD. Helldump opened and gave the goons who werent funny or clever the opportunity to create their own goonlulz, and of course they made it weird and pathetic. From then on the bitter self hating goon became the norm and the discourse on the site never recovered.

goon-self hatred was there from the start, posters just pretended other people were goons and they were different

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

OK, Imagine you work at a fast food joint and you get the grungy jobs. On night the drain under the sink is plugged so you are tasked with cleaning it out. The restaurant has been open since the 80's so 40 years or so of food particles has gone down this drain. There's a yellowish green goo the consistency of wet play-doh everywhere. The metal grating is rotted away. The smell is pungent enough that you take shallow, careful breaths as you reach in and try to clean out the blockage.

That was helldump.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Helldump was too entertaining and was therefore locked and subsequently deleted.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think it started in 2005? Since this matters

I just remember being one of the first people to post a thread there, and I think it got zero replies, because it was just talking about how unfunny someone was purely for his "Star Wars stormtrooper making pelvic thrust gesture in parking lot with old cars" avatar.

As opposed to, like, trying to destroy someone else's life, for possibly legitimate reasons

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

for those who don't know: you may know jeb "mobute" lund from twitter or idk, news apparently?

but long ago... his dark alter ego.... insulted people on helldump.

https://gawker.com/5987590/let-me-introduce-myself-farewell-to-mobutu-sese-seko

Quotey fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 27, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Helldump went from "This mod built a stupid house" to "This stupid bitch disagreed with me in D&D so I hid in her bushes"

Basically they ran out of funny poo poo and just started stalking people who called them gay in 2002.

Would have been better as like a once a year for 2 weeks thing to out the pedos and make fun of idiot mods, and then close before it got to weird.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 27, 2019

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm mildly entertained that it was called a "toxic place" and then several years later we end up with the chans and their completely off the rails behavior

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The_Continental posted:

I'm mildly entertained that it was called a "toxic place" and then several years later we end up with the chans and their completely off the rails behavior

the chans came before helldump (well original 2chan and 4chan) but yeah most of the lovely internet can be traced to SA rejects or folks who don't fit here anymore because they never grew out of 'ironic' shittiness and edgelord stuff

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

The_Continental posted:

When I reg'd my first account in like 2000 I posted in Helldump within 12 hours and was subsequently banned for breaking rules. Pretty sure my hyper-intelligent 13 year old mind just picked a forums poster at random and called them gay.

Why helldump closed? Maybe one of the older forum members can give us some history.

It sucked poo poo and as it turns out goons calling other goons McLovin wasn't very funny

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

*stands up* Je suis J'Blund

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Some people recreated helldump in another subforum but they recently closed it because of too much dumping by insane, extremely online people

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

It is NOT OKAY to make fun of your fellow goons.

That's why we freed all the furries from their concentration camp and give our pedophiles mod powers.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Bananaquiter posted:

and give our pedophiles mod powers.

Reminder

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2828794&userid=27201

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

God bless and keep you

The best part is the images are broken so all I have is my imagination and posts to reconstruct why goons are bad

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remembered McCaine flirting with every gay goon who moved and pics of him naked and in bondage but I didnt remember the wanting to gently caress 12 year olds part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remembered McCaine flirting with every gay goon who moved and pics of him naked and in bondage but I didnt remember the wanting to gently caress 12 year olds part

Was he the one who commented the creepiest poo poo to every goonette with breasts larger than bee stings in the awful yearbook?