Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
as others have pointed out helldump was later, I thought after 07, because I don't remember it being a thing before I had this account
we just talked about it a bit ago in the SA drama sagas thread. It was very much a creature of earlier internet when everyone was dumb enough to use the same usernames for everything, and totally ate itself, now some of the folks that got people banned would just get shrugged off as internet weirdos and the folks doing the mocking would be banned for being creepier and less mentally sound than the weirdos.

It was cool when it also had the garbage day rule, since in general people could only get banned if they came and posted in helldump. So you could just ignore it, or sometimes if there weren't any decent callouts people who did lovely jobs of trying to call someone out would eat the weekly ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Isaac posted:

Before helldump goons were innocent and earnest in their posting. All the goons making fun of goons was kept to FYAD. Helldump opened and gave the goons who weren’t funny or clever the opportunity to create their own goonlulz, and of course they made it weird and pathetic. From then on the bitter self hating goon became the norm and the discourse on the site never recovered.

goon-self hatred was there from the start, posters just pretended other people were goons and they were different

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The_Continental posted:

I'm mildly entertained that it was called a "toxic place" and then several years later we end up with the chans and their completely off the rails behavior

the chans came before helldump (well original 2chan and 4chan) but yeah most of the lovely internet can be traced to SA rejects or folks who don't fit here anymore because they never grew out of 'ironic' shittiness and edgelord stuff

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Burt Sexual posted:

Same, dude had some serious mental health issues.

But was also a manipulator and pretty hosed up and cruel while great at painting himself the victim and being on the internet and SA especially was not good for his health. Hopefully he got the help he needed and didn't just go to some other forum to be their pity pity project

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Docahedron posted:

God drat we live in a world where Pick makes excellent posts

The gently caress is happening

pick has always made good posts like the one her av is from or the star trek stuff
she's also taken her gimmick too far sometimes or other goons get way into derailing every thread to be about pickposting
in conclusion pick is a land of contrasts

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the rationale was that GIJDB was his posting buddy, therefore there's very fine people on both sides of attempted rape

nah puppy galaxy I think hit the nail on the head, it's an 'offsite drama thing' combined with how incredibly likely it was fake, and even if real it's like one of those 'this really isn't the place or way to deal with that trauma' the same way posting suicide threads in e/n used to get you probes or bans. But yeah it doesn't look good in a modern light.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 30, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

purple death ray posted:

A very good poster was banned in e/n like a month ago after they admitted to a suicide attempt, so

Was it one of those they posted a thread about an active attempt or suicidal ideation things that actually violates the spirit of the rule? Or some dumb 'ah ha they mentioned a past suicide attempt in their post so time to ban!'
I think nearly everyone who hasn't just lurked eventually eats a probe or ban from mod with an agenda convienently finding a way to read something as a violation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Burt Sexual posted:

Wth is this poo poo. You openly state you know nothing about the ban, then just use it to poo poo on the collective mods. I’d step back from this type of posting.

I think 'no one who has ever been a mod has ever made a mistake, been arbitrary, or played favorites' is a weird stance to take Burt.
I meant that more as a 'so it's not a big deal' than 'SA is the absolute worst and I pray for its pending demise'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
the stairs question is getting weirder