Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

obi is a very good athlete but Clarke is legitimately one of the best athletes in the history of basketball while also improving dramatically skill wise over the course of his college career so I dunno that it's really comparable. Like he had a 40 inch vert while also being one of the fastest guys at the combine and putting up a better lane agility time than John Wall.

I love Zion but I really wish we could have seen a world where he didn't exist just to see how much different the conversation around Clarke would have been last year.

i'm just relating him to clarke in terms of being a 22 year old prospect who improved from being a 21 year old nobody. i feel you on your last point though, the clarke and rui front line was pretty fun to watch. They were both so drat athletic and sucked so bad at shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I get what you mean, but Obi was really good as a freshman. He took on a bigger minutes and usage role this year while staying efficient which is really impressive but he was already pretty firmly on the draft radar as like a mid to late first round guy when the season started. I think his big leap was really during his prep school year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
poku can run fill the void nick collison left in bounce passing he's perfect

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

can we start calling him goku

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

rabidsquid posted:

can we start calling him goku

Gotta ern that breb

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about this Precious guy, MV

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

poku can run fill the void nick collison left in bounce passing he's perfect

This is an outrageous comparison you are not allowed to have him anymore

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me about this Precious guy, MV

Really strong 6'9" guy with good length and freaky athleticism who plays hard as hell but also has no idea what he is as a basketball player. He could be a useful player as a switchy small ball backup center who gets most of his points as a garbage man but he is very convinced that he's a wing and wants to try all sorts of ball handling and shooting stuff that he is not remotely capable of. He's fun but his best case scenario isn't necessarily a super valuable archetype and the downside is huge. He really needs to find the right coach and situation.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Too late I've already put in the pick welcome to okc pokullison

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
edit, wait I missed a post, nvm

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Everyone from Kevin O'Connor to the Hornets' lone beat writer is saying they're going to trade up for James Wiseman, which I'm choosing to believe is just more smoke

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno I think he'd probably be the Golden State pick if they can't trade it so makes sense if they really like him. I don't get it but I'm clearly not in sync with the NBA on him, everything seems to suggest he is a lock to go top 2

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm fine with him at three but they barely have anything to give up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

I'm fine with him at three but they barely have anything to give up

rozier?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, or Zeller or Bridges or 32 or some of their Martin/Martin/McDaniels developmental pieces. I don't think they're dumb enough to give up a future pick but they are always willing to surprise. I'd just much rather they spend those pieces to bring extra stuff in, not making a pretty obvious mistake

I guess I've spent most of this thread wishing for trades so in the end this is my fault

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The rumor in the ringer mock is 3 and an unprotected 2022 first to move up to 1 which would be a disastrously bad trade. I'm not super deep on 2022 guys but there are at least three I'm pretty sure I'd take over anyone in this class.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

The rumor in the ringer mock is 3 and an unprotected 2022 first to move up to 1 which would be a disastrously bad trade

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
James, the father of Jesus, WiseMan, as in Magi, number 3 pick into number 1, as in the trinity. You put that all together and you have a franchise saviour

This is what I texted to Mike Jordan, and he sent me a picture of a crab getting hosed by a chimpanzee

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cody Zeller and Bismarck Biyombo is only 13 feet 8 inches of poo poo, unacceptable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

The rumor in the ringer mock is 3 and an unprotected 2022 first to move up to 1 which would be a disastrously bad trade. I'm not super deep on 2022 guys but there are at least three I'm pretty sure I'd take over anyone in this class.

man the twolves and the dubs have no idea of what anyone in this draft is actually worth

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Cody Zeller and Bismarck Biyombo is only 13 feet 8 inches of poo poo, unacceptable.

They also had Willy Hernangomez

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

man the twolves and the dubs have no idea of what anyone in this draft is actually worth

the twolves have done a really good job of keeping their cards close to their chest. haven't heard a peep about their actual evaluations other than that one leak that said "who will we pick? wouldn't you like to know?"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://ripcityproject.com/2020/10/22/trail-blazers-2020-nba-draft-jay-scrubb/
I don't know if anyone's already posted this, but Jay Scrubb could be the first junior college player selected in the draft in 15 years.

Here's a screenshot of a word document about him from the fine stepien men

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/04/02/jay-scrubb-scouting-report/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMBt6d-HihA
Here's a long highlight video where you can learn he's better than other junior college players but not much else

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
No one is going to draft a guy named "Jay Scrubb"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
we were talking about scrubb like literally yesterday lol very disrespectful to not read the thread you are posting in imo please apologize

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

we were talking about scrubb like literally yesterday lol very disrespectful to not read the thread you are posting in imo please apologize

Haha I swear I read it, I check it all the time. I just have a terrible memory. My bad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

I think they really need more ball handling and shooting so they'd be a good spot for Cole Anthony, Kira Lewis, or Grant Riller, even though none of them really fit the Hammond mold. Cole and Kira especially would be great value there. Maybe Maxey if he slips too, he's a little closer to Hammond's type with a plus wingspan and good defense.

Desmond Bane kinda fits everywhere but he'd also bring shooting and wing depth. Same for Saddiq Bey. I personally think he's a solid tier below Bane but most mocks are the other way around.

Poku is a wild rear end swing for the fence but I think he'd be awesome value there and certainly fits their type. He has some superficial similarities to what Giannis was perceived as back when he was a prospect and Hammond took him.

Guys who I don't particularly like but who definitely fit their draft history and could go around there would be Jaden McDaniels and Precious Achiuwa. Maybe RJ Hampton too.

Cool thanks for this. I agree they work better with second combo guard next to Fultz, someone who can shoot and catch him on cuts. Poku is obviously attractive here because the team is on the 33 win treadmill so you may as well go for it. What’s up with Bane, he looks and sounds like a minor star from 1993

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

likely distracted by cj elleby’s hair

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

What’s up with Bane, he looks and sounds like a minor star from 1993

The tiny little mustaches he and Xavier Tillman have make them look like they should be guarding Jo Jo White, I'm a big fan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

The tiny little mustaches he and Xavier Tillman have make them look like they should be guarding Jo Jo White, I'm a big fan.

He’s even got that pre-drug testing turinabol looking physique. Hopefully he goes bald gracefully

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

This would own and then we can take okongwu without people freaking out about it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also believe my Mississippi State boys, Perry and Woodard, are gonna be good for 2nd rounders. Perry is not nearly as strong as Tillman as a short roll passer (X is maybe the best in the draft), but I can see Perry doing a lot of the same things. He is a little slow laterally. Woodard is just kind of a beast of man with some sneaky athleticism and a decent jumper.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Woodard is probably fine as a bench wing. Tall guy who tries on D and can kinda shoot can usually find a place a roster. Less convinced on Perry but I like him better than some of the centers that will go ahead of him like Stewart and Carey.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Wrong thread.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2020

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Wrong thread again.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 29, 2020

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Woodard is probably fine as a bench wing. Tall guy who tries on D and can kinda shoot can usually find a place a roster. Less convinced on Perry but I like him better than some of the centers that will go ahead of him like Stewart and Carey.

32% from 3 aint great, but he made great strides in that cat, upping ft% to 77% as well. I think ppl are underestimating him. I dont expect him to be an allstar, but if your 2nd rd pick sticks around for 9 or 10 years, its a success. I have foreseen this.

What site has some more advanced stats for ncaab? Free also.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What future flop are the Knicks drafting this year

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isaac Okoro or Lamelo Ball.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ButtWolf posted:

Isaac Okoro or Lamelo Ball.

lamelo isn’t falling to 8, someone will trade up for him

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats what i meant, okoro at 8 or lamelo at 2 prob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

32% from 3 aint great, but he made great strides in that cat, upping ft% to 77% as well. I think ppl are underestimating him. I dont expect him to be an allstar, but if your 2nd rd pick sticks around for 9 or 10 years, its a success. I have foreseen this.

What site has some more advanced stats for ncaab? Free also.

Sports reference has college stats, or Bart Torvick