Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Katana_Warrior posted:

there are many basketball players who i simultaneously love, sympathize with, and don't want on my team

I will always hope for the best for Fultz, but as a player I will always hate his guts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I have no idea who the Raptors will pick tonight but I preemptively welcome the new long switchy defender with good character to our team, and will also begin to slot in anyone who falls out of the second round as playing fifteen minutes a game for us this upcoming season

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1329076763683483655?s=20

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Imagine that the Wolves had to trade the number 1 pick for a single player with no other compensation. What's the best they could do? Ignore salary cap for our purposes. Kemba Walker? Tobias Harris? CJ? Also feel free to ignore whether or not the trade partner actually wants the top pick.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i don’t like to put stock in interviews and player personality tests because it’s like reading tea leaves, but, uh, gently caress that’s maybe the worst interview/puff piece i’ve ever seen holy poo poo

i wouldn’t be surprised if this tanks his stock down to where the knicks could grab him

i will say that they should allow dunk celebrations though that would be tight

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also holy gently caress the draft is tonight what the gently caress

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

also holy gently caress the draft is tonight what the gently caress

Not soon enough

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

a new study bible! posted:

Imagine that the Wolves had to trade the number 1 pick for a single player with no other compensation. What's the best they could do? Ignore salary cap for our purposes. Kemba Walker? Tobias Harris? CJ? Also feel free to ignore whether or not the trade partner actually wants the top pick.

I don't think I'd trade Kemba for one, but the other two are probably about where the line is.

This would be a good pick

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

we can't risk another justin patton, wolves will draft wiseman and trade him for a danny ainge style asset horde

https://twitter.com/mcdnba/status/1329063992766074880?s=12

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

a new study bible! posted:

I mean, value wise? Assuming the wolves can trade for any contract but they still have to pay it, the #1 is still valuable. I'd say it'd be like the #4 or so in a "normal" draft. Tobias is probably closer to neutral in value (though he's probably worth more to the Sixers). Maybe CJ McCollum, he seems more valuable as an asset but I guess it depends on how you think he'll age into his contract. Same with Kemba. Those guys might be reaches if you think they'll do well into their contracts.

Aaron Gordon maybe? Or maybe a John Collins/Harell type of young guy who is probably not going to be a star but very solid for a while. The latter is a tougher sell as any team that wants a pick also wants those kind of guys.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
okay if okongwu drops to 21 I'll allow it, daryelton

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Katana_Warrior posted:

we can't risk another justin patton, wolves will draft wiseman and trade him for a danny ainge style asset horde

https://twitter.com/mcdnba/status/1329063992766074880?s=12

Somehow the Wolves managed to fail even in the year they finally move up in the draft

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/1tzTommy/status/1329046656625602560

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone know if the draft actually starts at 7:00 ET or if that's a fake time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morestuff posted:

espn says 7:30 so wherever you're getting 7 from is probably just when coverage starts. I assume the draft will start at 8 est

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Actual draft is at 8 eastern

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Making me pick between AEW and the draft...no bueno

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Making me pick between AEW and the draft...no bueno

Just turn on notifications from Woj and check the NBA fashion thread afterward and you're getting 99% of what's worth seeing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Watch the wrestling but read the draft thread, you don't need that dorkus Adam Silver announcing picks that already leaked five minutes earlier or Billups comping RJ Hampton to Dwayne Wade or whatever insane poo poo he comes up with this year

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MourningView posted:

Watch the wrestling but read the draft thread, you don't need that dorkus Adam Silver announcing picks that already leaked five minutes earlier or Billups comping RJ Hampton to Dwayne Wade or whatever insane poo poo he comes up with this year

Part of the fun of the draft is the insane hyperbole!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1329104782347423747?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol gently caress whoever reported that as a nebulous "foot injury" to get him to drop

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

Lol gently caress whoever reported that as a nebulous "foot injury" to get him to drop

so scummy

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I know the bam comps are stupid, but could Okongwu play in the vein of a baby Taj Gibson? I think the wolves should take Lamelo #1, and then wait to see where he lands and try to see if they could trade lamelo for him and like a well protected first or something

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Katana_Warrior posted:

I know the bam comps are stupid, but could Okongwu play in the vein of a baby Taj Gibson? I think the wolves should take Lamelo #1, and then wait to see where he lands and try to see if they could trade lamelo for him and like a well protected first or something

I think they should just take him #1 and apparently the Athletic writer for the Wolves agrees with me

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

I think his ceiling on both ends is higher but something like that, sure

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up, okongwu is the best player available in this draft on both ends, he's just limited offensively (but extremely loving efficient ala capela/gobert/chandler)

this draft has been 8 months of teams overthinking it and it sucks

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they should just take him #1 and apparently the Athletic writer for the Wolves agrees with me

Declan MacManus posted:

straight up, okongwu is the best player available in this draft on both ends, he's just limited offensively (but extremely loving efficient ala capela/gobert/chandler)

this draft has been 8 months of teams overthinking it and it sucks

gently caress it, let's take him. our offence is fine

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I really don't want Edwards if those're his real feelings. Gonna wind up with Wiggins 2.0 and we've had enough of all that.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1329052634234417153

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deni avdija (horn hit) rico!
Deni avdija (horn hit) suave

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
fwiw I think not liking to watch basketball as a fan is a more normal basketball player opinion than you'd probably think.

Updated preferences for the Utah Jazzmen:

At 27:
Bane
Terry
Riller

Joe
Flynn
Tillman
Maledon
Winston

Jalen Smith

At 38:
Joe
Tillman
Winston
Mason Jones

Tyler Bey
Tre Jones
Tillie
Hinton
Reed
Dotson

Skyler Mays
Jalen Harris

Sam Merrill
CJ Elleby
Azubuike
Reggie Perry

Meanwhile the ESPN mock has them taking Jaden McDaniels and Daniel Oturu, two of my least favorite guys who could get drafted in that range. I should be the easiest person to please when it comes to the draft, I develop positive feelings for like 30 guys every year. And yet!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

morestuff posted:

Just turn on notifications from Woj and check the NBA fashion thread afterward and you're getting 99% of what's worth seeing

Memories https://twitter.com/FSKPart3/status/613818362456637440

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
All is forgiven, give me Edwards

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Fenelon/status/1329141497854365701

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I really think LaMelo will be an Anthony Bennett-sized bust. I haven't seen anything that makes him look like he'll be a rotation player in the NBA. I've seen people saying Australian basketball is fine, but I sincerely doubt it's a higher level than upper echelon college ball in the US. At least Lonzo played at UCLA so you knew he could do something other than fling garbage with that super busted stroke of his, and even then Lonzo is really not that productive on the court. I think LaMelo will be a couple of rungs worse than he is (i.e. fringe roster spot occupier at best) and the fact that he's getting looked at as a #1 pick because of manufactured hype is weird.

:lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The NBL is definitely better than the Pac-12 and way more physical

And he averaged 17/6/7 how was he not productive? He wasn't a very efficient scorer but the rebounding and passing are super impressive for someone his age playing in a pro league and there's plenty of reason to be optimistic on the scoring.

The people who hype LaMelo the most are people who have actually watched him, the hate is mostly people who have watched like two clips on Twitter and are reacting to his last name. There is no reason for, like, the Stepien guys or Sam Vecenie to manufacture hype for him. If you want to complain about someone getting manufactured hype based on nothing this cycle it's Wiseman

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 18, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MourningView posted:

The NBL is definitely better than the Pac-12 and way more physical

And he averaged 17/6/7 how was he not productive? He wasn't a very efficient scorer but the rebounding and passing are super impressive for someone his age playing in a pro league and there's plenty of reason to be optimistic on the scoring.

The people who hype on LaMelo the most are people who have actually watched him, the hate is mostly people who have watched like two clips on Twitter and are reacting to his last name.

I'm saying Lonzo isn't really productive. I also think he was drafted based on hype. He does less with more minutes than anyone I've ever seen, and also has a gross looking jumper just like his brother LaMelo.

The season starts in like a month, so luckily there won't be a lot of time between this disagreement and watching him play. I haven't watched a bunch of NBL games, it's true. I think I've seen enough over the years though to form an opinion about LaMelo's overall terribleness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
how many lamelo games have you watched?

He doesn't play anything like Lonzo did in college aside from having a funny jumper and being a tall guy who is good at passing. He is much more willing to shoot and world's better as a ball handler. Lonzo's biggest issue offensively is that he can't dribble, LaMelo is one of the best ball handlers his size in the world