Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I watched some of his stuff on that... what Lithuanian team his dad got him on then off of? I remember feeling bad for him, and also thinking he stinks.

Plus yes. I watched twitter videos like a pro scouter.

edit: I'll believe he's one of the best ballhandlers in the world when I see him do it in the NBA I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/McDNBA/status/1329145904599760896?s=20

lol this dude gonna claim the whole draft has foot injuries

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

i am a moron posted:

I watched some of his stuff on that... what Lithuanian team his dad got him on then off of? I remember feeling bad for him, and also thinking he stinks.

edit: I'll believe he's one of the best ballhandlers in the world when I see him do it in the NBA I guess.

He grew a lot and got a lot stronger in the meantime. He makes layups now and isn't terrified of contact.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So, weird question but how many picks will have likely been made by 10 pm? Most of the first round, ALL of the first round? (none of the first round?)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/McDNBA/status/1329145904599760896?s=20

lol this dude gonna claim the whole draft has foot injuries

Hopefully his foot is fine but Mid-late 20s is probably closer to where he should actually go anyway, people got kind of out of control on him for a bit.

i am a moron posted:

I mean if "he needs to prove it in the nba" is the standard then there are no prospects worthy of hype

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

karmicknight posted:

So, weird question but how many picks will have likely been made by 10 pm? Most of the first round, ALL of the first round? (none of the first round?)

First round gets five minutes a pick so probably like the first 20 picks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

karmicknight posted:

The draft will be done by 10pm est

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MourningView posted:

I mean if "he needs to prove it in the nba" is the standard then there are no prospects worthy of hype

Agreed.

Dejan Bimble posted:

He grew a lot and got a lot stronger in the meantime. He makes layups now and isn't terrified of contact.

I'll take everyone's word for it, none of my favorite teams are drafting high so LaMelo's goodness or badness isn't a hill I would die on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah his big growth spurt started while he was there or right after. And he was like what 16?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

imagine if lamelo was a white euro guy with those numbers and that tape lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

i am a moron posted:

0 people have called him one of the best ballhandlers in the world. But he's pretty far along, more than most 19 year old prospects and has definitely shown he has NBA skills.

If your point is "He's underwhelming as a #1 overall pick" then sure, but there's no one else that has a dramatically better case and it doesn't mean he's going to bust, not much he can do about the lack of better prospects.

In a "Normal" draft he's definitely the kind of guy that would go 3-6ish.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

imagine if lamelo was a white euro guy with those numbers and that tape lmao

he would be comped to Joe Ingles

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1329155445991251968?s=20

BREAAAAAAAKINGGGGG

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Lockback posted:

0 people have called him one of the best ballhandlers in the world. But he's pretty far along, more than most 19 year old prospects and has definitely shown he has NBA skills.

If your point is "He's underwhelming as a #1 overall pick" then sure, but there's no one else that has a dramatically better case and it doesn't mean he's going to bust, not much he can do about the lack of better prospects.

In a "Normal" draft he's definitely the kind of guy that would go 3-6ish.

Mourningview literally posted that, I wasn’t responding to something I made up in my head

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really dont get the purpose of these kinds of trades when you dont know if you're guy is still gonna be on the board

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I really dont get the purpose of these kinds of trades when you dont know if you're guy is still gonna be on the board

Milwaukee kind of just needs bodies at the moment

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I said he was for his size. I dunno how many 6'7" or taller guys out there handle better than he does but I think the number is closer to 0 than it is to 10.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Deni avdija (horn hit) rico!
Deni avdija (horn hit) suave

This is truly impressive

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

The wolves will be selecting

#1: Lamelo Ball
#16: Xavier Tillman
#33: Tre Jones

Or so my sources tell me

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

morestuff posted:

Milwaukee kind of just needs bodies at the moment

With Giannis signing a supermax and Jrue getting a big deal that team is very expensive, 2nd round picks are cheap as hell warm bodies that won't get you into cap issues.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

i am a moron posted:

He played in Lithuania almost 3 years and he was 16

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Yeah his big growth spurt started while he was there or right after. And he was like what 16?

Right. He went from sophmore to lithuania, then in his senior year the "JBL," and Australia in what would have been his freshman season in college. So it's been 2 years

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
is there anywhere to watch this? im in australia and the whole idea of a draft like this is hilarious to me

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lid posted:

is there anywhere to watch this? im in australia and the whole idea of a draft like this is hilarious to me

It's on ESPN here no idea about australia. It would not be hard to find a stream though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We'll have a GDT thread going for the draft, I'd recommend posting there while its going on. The actual draft is kinda boring after the first 10 picks or so but having a thread where people are curating tweets and poo poo thats happening behind the scenes makes it so much better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lid posted:

Check discord.gg/basketball in a couple hours

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/1329178267061002250?s=19

if you want to root against this kid because stephen a smith talked about his dad too much or whatever be my guest but he is objectively fun as hell and you are wrong sorry

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm excited for Ball to pair up with Graham as the league's best backcourt that averages 38.5% shooting from the floor

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

if you want to root against this kid because stephen a smith talked about his dad too much or whatever be my guest but he is objectively fun as hell and you are wrong sorry

Smart to start off the thread with a clip that shows people just how lovely Melo's team was too

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Everything I've heard and read from people I trust about basketball and the draft say Lamelo is the only player in this draft who has more than a negligible chance to become an All-NBA player. Sure, his floor is probably lower than your average no. 1 overall pick, but who else are you taking? James Wiseman who has the upside of 8th best center in the league? Antony Edwards whose upside is Victor Oladipo without the defense?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Yeah when people try to paint him as a bad kid it is really lame.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

LionYeti posted:

With Giannis signing a supermax and Jrue getting a big deal that team is very expensive, 2nd round picks are cheap as hell warm bodies that won't get you into cap issues.

Also because of the Bogdanovic sign and trade the Bucks are hard capped (like the Warriors were last season after the Dlo trade). They canot, for any reason at all, spend more than $138m this year on their roster. With the Bogdanovic deal, depending on what his contract is they may have around from $15m-18m to sign seven guys to fill out their roster. 2nd round rookies are cheaper than the vet minimum, so grabbing two or three of those would allow them to spend a little more than the minimum on some established players. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another trade to get another second rounder later on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also, its all the stuff people said about not wanting Lonzo and Lonzo's attitude has been perfectly fine. There's things to pick apart on their games (and they don't really play the same either) but there's this weird bar where they are getting ripped apart because their dad was annoying 4 years ago.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Rick posted:

Yeah when people try to paint him as a bad kid it is really lame.

I mean, I think he said the n-word on an episode of WWE Raw a few years ago. If that's not the sign of a bad kid, what is?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hell the WWE champion drops the gamer word

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a new study bible! posted:

I mean, I think he said the n-word on an episode of WWE Raw a few years ago. If that's not the sign of a bad kid, what is?

that was funny as hell though

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Oh yeah that segment rocked

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MourningView posted:

i'm fairly sure Skip Baliss is against him too which means he's the second coming of LeBron

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Nothing will stand between Presti and Poku tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is Leaguepass/nba tv streaming the draft this year?