Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
Anthony Edwards
Cole Anthony
James Wiseman
LaMelo Ball
Other
View Results
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I'd be so scared to have Anthony Edwards available if I was a GM. Biggest disparity between the ceiling and floor I can recall.

I don't think there's a world where he washes out of the league entirely but there's definitely one where he's pretty much Andrew Wiggins and that might be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i figure heíll probably be a good not great oj mayo-esque 4th option that can do a lot of stuff well but nothing spectacularly

kind of a bummer but what can you do

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends

Plaster Town Cop

Xavier Tillman is now a possible first rounder. That's really cool. He should be a solid multipositional defender and hopefully he'll find a role on offense other than screener

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends

Plaster Town Cop

Some stuff by John Hollinger about old shortneck

4. Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC
Okongwu was awesome as a freshman and the only reason I donít have him higher is that todayís game doesnít value bigs as much. He still might be undervalued here. Relative to his position heís arguably the best player in this draft, and in particular would seem to be an outstanding fit with the Golden State Warriors.

Letís get into the details. Since 2011-12, five major conference NCAA freshman have had a PER north of 30 and shot better than 70 percent from the line, an important indicator that they had enough skill to be something besides a Ď90s beast-ball 5 in the pros.

The first four were Anthony Davis, Cody Zeller, Karl-Anthony Towns and Deandre Ayton. Three of them were the first pick in the draft and the other one was picked third and has had a very solid pro career.

Okongwu is the fifth. Heís currently pegged in the mid-to-late lottery by most forecasts. Maybe thatís fair ó obviously, the fact that he shares a statistical similarity with a group of players does not automatically mean he will follow in their footsteps.

At the same time Ö in a draft this short on star potential, isnít at least a little interesting that Okongwuís statistical comps have been so wildly successful? Itís not like he was playing in a USC system that titled things in favor; watch the tape and at times youíll want to run on the court and beg their guards to get him the freaking ball. At other times he had to hold spacing so that USCís other bigs could get touches (!), even though Okongwu has an excellent post game and easily gets to jump hooks with either hand.

He put up monster stats anyway, leading the Pac-12 in PER and BPM and shooting 60.7 percent in conference play. His ability to score on the block should become more prominent at the pro level, especially against switches.

While Okongwuís ceiling probably profiles closer to that of Aytonís than Townsí or Davisí, that would still be a hell of an outcome with a meh lottery pick in a weak draft. As with a player heís frequently compared to ó Miamiís Bam Adebayo ó his height may be held against him at 6-9. Unlike Adebayo, however, Okongwu shows enough promise as a shooter that he may be able to play next to a true 5 as his skill level progresses. Heís already a better post scorer than Bam, but he doesnít have his ballhandling and passing skill.

Even if Okongwu doesnít become a stretch big, he could be a steal anywhere after the first few picks. Iím not a huge fan of drafting 5s, but Okongwu offers some positional flexibility as a 4/5 and, as noted above, he was freaking awesome this year. After the three guards at the top, Okongwuís value proposition is just too great to ignore.

https://theathletic.com/1808864/202...ling-to-bet-on/ from here, if you'd like me to post more, let me know

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 28, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends

Plaster Town Cop

If you need some audio draft content, Chad ford and John Bollinger have a podcast on the locked on network.

Are there other good draft focused podcasts? I have so many hours to drive

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you need some audio draft content, Chad ford and John Bollinger have a podcast on the locked on network.

Are there other good draft focused podcasts? I have so many hours to drive

Game Theory and Prep 2 Pro are both pretty solid. Game Theory isn't exclusively draft focused but a lot of the episodes are.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

Hey, you want a toothpick?

Is it just because basketball is dead or is this the most uninteresting class ever? Ball intrigues me even though I hate his dad. Wiseman and Edwards might be ok. After I don't really care about anyone.

And Okongwu looks to be solid but im still torn on him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wiseman seems like one of the most boring guys in the class to me but I admittedly view him a lot differently than it seems like most mainstream people or fans do.

I think it's kind of an interesting class in that it's very unsettled and there are a lot of boom or bust type guys at the top, it's just hard to keep talking about the same guys for so long. There's only really so much you can say and there really isn't going to be any real draft news for months.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ButtWolf posted:

Is it just because basketball is dead or is this the most uninteresting class ever? Ball intrigues me even though I hate his dad. Wiseman and Edwards might be ok. After I don't really care about anyone.

And Okongwu looks to be solid but im still torn on him.

It wasn't a great draft class, and we normally have March Madness to help reinforce opinions and generate hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

there are five quality starters with all star upside and then everything else is a big ole question mark and none of those questions are gonna be answered for a while

«5 »