Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
MSU keeps getting 5 star guys and I don't know why. They are who they are, but they never had the cachet or the zero interest no repay necessary loans from boosters that other colleges had. Emori Bates is probably just going straight to the NBA, but it certainly looks good for MSU in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bates was funny because even in his announcement he barely pretended that he was actually going to wind up at MSU. It was such an obvious backup plan for him, and I think he did it because he was annoyed most schools aren't even bothering to recruit him because they all assume he's going pro in some fashion, whether it's direct to the NBA, g-league, Australia or whatever.

And yeah I don't really know why top prospects sign there, even the guys where it works out like Bridges and JJJ wind up feeling like they are wasted. JJJ riding the pine in a NCAA tournament loss is one of the most baffling coaching moves in recent memory

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1290283223612719105?s=19

Think this is the last guy who I had in the first round range who was still undecided. Probably the best ball handler in college basketball and a really good off the dribble shooter. Should be in line to solidify himself as a first rounder with a big year next year, if we get a season, especially because Baylor is pretty loaded.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It feels like there's more borderline guys going back this year, which is weird given the uncertainty of the NCAA and the relative weakness of the draft. But that's probably because there's more borderline guys in general since there wasn't a tournament to sort out a lot of players, I suppose.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I've only had to remove like five guys from my top 60 so far because they went back, and it's mostly guys like Butler or Joe who I had a lot higher than most mainstream rankings. Butler is the only one to go back so far who I'm pretty certain would have been drafted and he was a consensus second rounder. If you have the athletic Sam Vecine, who does talk with NBA front offices and incorporate what they say into his Big Board, is doing a breakdown of all the deadline decisions. He hasn't done Butler yet but so far the highest rated guy for him who has decided to return was Ayo Dosunmu who he had at 54. Most of the others are guys like Luka Garza, who is definitely going to make a lot of money playing professional basketball at some point but it won't be in the NBA. https://theathletic.com/1966426/?amp#click=https://t.co/3S5VcSvy0h

The g-league probably not happening also throws a big wrench into things for guys who would be trying to get on a two way or something like that, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get a visa to go play in Europe from the US right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, that's a really good point, the uncertainty of backup options is probably a really big deal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not surprised Remy Martin, went back, he's fringe second rounder, but I fully expect him to go to an NBA team and get a lot of minutes for a team I see a lot and he'll only play good against the Lakers to continue to spite me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Updated now that I think all the decisions are in:

1. Killian Hayes
2. Onyeka Okongwu
3. LaMelo Ball

4. Devin Vassell
5. Aleksei Pokusevki
6. Cole Anthony
7. Anthony Edwards
8. Deni Avidija
9. Kira Lewis
10. Patrick Williams

11. Issac Okoro
12. Tyrese Maxey
13. Obi Toppin
14. Tyrese Haliburton
15. Tyrell Terry
16. Desmond Bane
17. Grant Riller

18. Aaron Nesmith
19. Theo Maledon
20. James Wiseman
21. Xavier Tillman
22. Leandro Bolmaro
23. RJ Hampton
24. Saddiq Bey
25. Josh Green

26. Tyler Bey
27. Killian Tillie
28. Tre Jones
29. Nate Hinton
30. Cassius Winston
31. Malichi Flynn
32. Paul Reed
33. Jalen Smith
34. Mason Jones
35. Devon Dotson

36. Zeke Nanji
37. Nico Mannion
38. Precious Achiuwa
39. Ty-Shon Alexander
40. Robert Woodard
41. Skylar Mays
42. Jahmi'us Ramsey
43. Jalen Harris
44. Immanuel Quickley
45. Jaden McDaniels

46. Myles Powell
47. Lamine Diane
48. Elijah Hughes
49. Abdoulaye N’Doye
50. Markus Howard
51. Peyton Pritchard
52. Cassius Stanley
53. Isaiah Stewart
54. Tevelin Queen
55. Sam Merrill
56. Kaleb Wesson
57. Saben Lee
58. Udoka Azubuike
59. Jordan Nwora
60. Daniel Oturu

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MourningView posted:

The g-league probably not happening also throws a big wrench into things for guys who would be trying to get on a two way or something like that, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get a visa to go play in Europe from the US right now.

Do 2nd tier basketball players count as

“Categories of Americans allowed into EU” posted:

highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What’re the knocks on Okoro?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

What’re the knocks on Okoro?

Can't shoot at all. I still like him that just potentially puts a big cap on his ceiling. If he turns into Jimmy Butler (a not unreasonable outcome to predict!) I'll feel really dumb.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 4, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I havent watched Killian Tille since last year, but it looks like he finally had a healthy season. Did his defense get any better this year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

I havent watched Killian Tille since last year, but it looks like he finally had a healthy season. Did his defense get any better this year?

No he missed a bunch of games. If I thought he was even remotely likely to be healthy I'd have him like top 10.

He's good on defense so I'm just going to assume whatever it was he did that made you think he was bad was actually Rui's fault.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

No he missed a bunch of games. If I thought he was even remotely likely to be healthy I'd have him like top 10.

He's good on defense so I'm just going to assume whatever it was he did that made you think he was bad was actually Rui's fault.

Likely, but I might also be misremembering or just racially profiling him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Can't shoot at all. I still like him that just potentially puts a big cap on his ceiling. If he turns into Jimmy Butler (a not unreasonable outcome to predict!) I'll feel really dumb.

i’m all in on okoro baby, rookie of the year sleeper pick of the draft

i also think halliburton is gonna be a steal at the end of the lottery if that’s where he goes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m all in on okoro baby, rookie of the year sleeper pick of the draft

i also think halliburton is gonna be a steal at the end of the lottery if that’s where he goes

I love Hali but he can't dribble at all so if someone drafts him to be their primary PG it will be bad. Like he couldn't even take Big 12 centers off the bounce. He needs to play with a big wing creator (or ideally multiple creators) and just act as a secondary ball mover and spot up guy.

He's weird because I feel like he was originally a Draft Twitter darling as like a late lotto, mid first round type guy but then mainstream sites got in on him late and went crazy with the hype. Like I've seen him top 5 and I think he's going to disappoint if that happens.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Here I wrote this about guys who I am higher or lower on than general consensus, using ESPNs board as a rough measure of consensus

Guys I like less than consensus:

Anthony Edwards: Low enough that it probably warrants explanation given that he's the most likely number 1 pick. I get the appeal and don't feel great about where I have him, I just can't get over my feeling that he's never going to be more than a guy who gets inefficient buckets in the Wiggins mold. He will score and probably shoot a decent percentage from 3 but shot selection, passing, and defensive effort are all really bad. 100% the guy most likely to make me look like a dummy in two years, but he just doesn't feel like a guy you can build a winner around, at least as the primary option.

Wiseman: a true center when that's less valuable than ever. I just don't really buy him as anything more than a play finisher/garbage man on offense and don't believe that he's a potential Gobert level defensive center like a lot of people do. Pretty bad feel on both ends, high center of gravity, slow laterally, and he has a long load time on his jump that limits his rim protection. A good bet to be a solid NBA player, a bad bet to be a star.

Obi Toppin: old, and really really really bad on defense. Really stiff hips and just didn't have the stock numbers you want for someone with his athleticism playing mostly bad competition. It's hard to hide an outright bad defensive big. Very good offensive player though.

Tyrese Haliburton: I hate this because I actually love him but his stock got kind of out of control. He's a very good basketball player in a bunch of ways but his lack of strength and handle are going to limit his ceiling. He can be a transition PG, but in the half court he's best as a linking piece playing off other creators where he can hit spot ups at a high rate, make smart cuts, and act as a ball mover. Think late career Jason Kidd, or maybe Lonzo. His shot is better than those guys but he's much skinnier and weaker, which probably limits his defensive value a little, even if he's a brilliant team defender. A very good second draft candidate for a smart team if someone drafts him with the idea that he can be a starting PG and then dumps him.

RJ Hampton: don't think he's a PG and just doesn't really seem to be truly good at anything yet. Iffy shooter, bad on defense right now because of poor feel and iffy change of direction skills, not a great passer, doesn't really get to the rim in the half court and create contact. Worth a first round pick but not as high as I usually see him.

Precious Achiuwa: totally fine as an energy small ball five off the bench but I wouldn't take one of those very high. Potentially great switchy defensive player and unreal athlete but a truly horrific offensive decision maker. He takes awful shots, rarely passes and just doesn't have much in the way of touch from anywhere. Needs to get with the right coach because if you let him pretend to be a wing like he wants to he could be out of the league fast. Extremely fun player though, he does some truly wild poo poo both positive and negative and is always going a million miles an hour.

Nico Mannion: bad length/athleticism, can't really get to the basket at all. Needs to be a great shooter to make up for his other limitations and is just a pretty good one. Better defender than he gets credit for but not actually very good. Might be okay as a secondary ball handler off the bench but I would not take him as high as he's probably going to go.

Jaden McDaniels: obvious potential as a big wing who can create for himself and a long rangy defender but not actually very good at anything yet and needs to add a ton of strength and explosiveness to hit the ceiling people seem to think he has. Is going to need a lot of G-league time and has a really high chance of flaming out of the league entirely.

Isaiah Stewart/Veron Carey/Daniel Oturu: slightly undersized centers who are completely awful on defense and get most of their points in the paint. Stewart and Carey also can't jump or move laterally at all.

Jahmi'us Ramsey: Just A Shooter on offense who shot sub-70% from the foul line. Can't really create a good look for himself or get to the rim. Truly awful defensive player despite playing in the best defensive system in the country

Guys I Like More Than Consensus:

Devin Vassell: A good basketball player, which remains somehow undervalued. Best team defender in the class, shot 40% from 3 over two years with some off the dribble flashes. Really good movement shooter with a high release point that will be hard to defend. An obvious plug and play 2 way wing at a time when that has never been more valuable. The platonic ideal of a 3 and D player with a chance to be more if he continues to develop his pull up game.

Poku: This is a wild swing for the fences, but if he hits he has a really good chance to be the best player in the class, and possibly by a lot. There are just not many 7 foot guys who have the movement skills he does, and he's the youngest guy in the entire class. He needs to add a ton of strength to be a functional NBA player, but his flashes of pull up shooting, handling and passing are basically unheard of for someone his height. Also a very promising weak side shot blocker and overall defender because of his length and instincts.

Cole Anthony: Really I just kinda stayed put on him while everyone else soured. He's old for his class and wasn't very good last year but the situation at UNC sucked and he got hurt. Pre-college production matters when you're projecting guys this young, and he's one of the best EYBL players of all time and an absolute monster off the dribble shooter. Very good pick and roll scorer, and while he's not an elite playmaker I think a better passer than he showed at UNC where the paint was always crowded and no one else could shoot. Looked much more athletic before the meniscus injury. Probably an ideal secondary creator playing off a bigger playmaking wing.

Patrick Williams: potential to be a switchable playmaking stretch 4. Strong as hell and one of the most explosive vertical athletes in the class. Great defensive feel. Shows signs of being a good shooter and passer; at lower levels especially he showed a lot of flashes as a playmaker and pull up shooter. Great cutter. Needs some polish and to work on his lateral agility but his potential is as high as almost anyone in the class and he fills a really valuable archetype.

Kira Lewis: one of the youngest guys in the class despite being a sophomore, literally was not old enough to enter the draft last year after playing a full college season. Will immediately be one of the fastest players in the league which gives him at least one elite NBA attribute and an advantage over most guys guarding him. Good live ball passer and shooter, tries on defense even if he's a little scrawny.

Desmond Bane: see previous post about guys the Raptors should target. Arguably the best shooter in the class and a guy who can hit spot up, off the dribble, or off movement threes at a high percentage. Smart passer and defender. Older and not a great athlete but has an obvious NBA role. Everyone needs wing sized guys who can shoot and not embarrass themselves on D.

Riller: see previous post again, a fairly good bet to be at least a quality bench scorer. Best slasher and finisher in the class and a good shooter and passer. Does kinda suck on D though.

Xavier Tillman: limited by his size, athleticism, and shooting but a basketball genius and one of the best players in the country the last two years who should be a rotation big at worst. Probably the best interior defender, screen setter, and short roll passer in the class. Also a good finisher with great touch around the basket, and he handles and passes well enough that he can even run the occasional pick and roll. Has occasionally showed flashes of possibly being a shooter but I wouldn't count on him being more than a decent low attempt spot up guy at the very most in that respect.

Killian Tillie: Possible this one shouldn't really count because I don't think the issue here is that mainstream people think he's bad, he's just a huge injury risk with a long history of ankle and knee problems. If he does stay healthy though, I think he's a top 10 talent. Really smart player and a perfect modern big, he can shoot, pass, and defend at a high level. This is one where if he does go undrafted I would kinda get it just because I assumed everyone's medical staff vetoed him, but a lot of short term upside as an immediate rotation big.

Nate Hinton: Another wing who seems like a solid bet to find a rotation spot somewhere. Doesn't create anything for himself but he's an excellent spot up shooter with great length who can defend multiple positions well. Also an incredible rebounder for his size, which isn't necessarily super important but it's a nice bonus

Isiah Joe: just a killer shooter. Didn't have a great percentage this year but I don't think that is indicative of his skill as a shooter. He shot really well from 3 as a freshman and had been a great free throw shooter both years, and he's absolutely fearless and takes an absurd number of attempts. He is among the best guys in this class at flying around a screen, catching and firing, and he takes a lot of wild off the dribble attempts from deep which he shouldn't do in the NBA, but being willing to shoot is usually a good sign for shooting projection. Also a pretty solid passer and a better defender than he probably should be given how skinny he is.

Mason Jones: bad athlete but a super productive and efficient three level scorer in a major conference. Gets to the rim at will, best player in the class at drawing fouls, and an absolutely insane finisher despite barely being able to dunk. Also a good step back shooter with range. He's a little like Riller in that he's probably best served as bench scorer but I would take a flier on someone with his production and skill level. If it turns out he's just not athletic enough to make it in the NBA then he's definitely going to be one of the best players in Europe almost immediately.

Malichi Flynn: Might be too small to hold down a starting spot but otherwise a pretty complete point guard. One of the best pick and roll players in the class and a very good shooter, finishes well at the rim when he gets there, and plays defense about as well as you possibly can at his size. Feels like a guy who should be able to at least run a second unit and if you have a big creator like the Lakers, Sixers, or Dallas could maybe even start and just work as an off ball shooter and extra ball handler in the halfcourt.

I tried to limit this to guys who were in the first round range on either my board or ESPNs, but if you want more detail on anyone else, or someone who I don't have ranked at all that you think I should, just ask I am very bored and like talking the draft.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 22, 2020

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Do you think Pokusevki could play next to a guy like Kristaps?

Assuming they keep the pick (which isn't a given), I just hope Dallas can find someone who's basically a better Finney-Smith.

I was (probably obviously) hoping for I. Joe at 31, but since he's going back, I'm not sure who I'd want there. Maybe a Paul Reed type, or just some sort of defensive tone-setter, which they really need at a non-center position.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe? I don't think that would be my ideal Poku fit but it'd be really good value at that point. Paul Reed wouldn't be bad but Tillman is even better and should fall somewhere in that range. Bane also seems like he's mostly in the early second range on mocks and would be awesome playing off Luka.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Isaiah_joe10/status/1295405831132008448?s=19

So the college deadline for declaring for the draft already passed but the NBA one is actually today, which means we might see some of this where guys who said they were coming back change their minds. Joe is the first one so far, but it's a weird year so I wouldn't be stunned with a couple more.

Joe is most likely a second rounder, if he gets drafted, but fwiw I'd have him like 23. Truly great shooter.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 17, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Isaiah_joe10/status/1295405831132008448?s=19

So the college deadline for declaring for the draft already passed but the NBA one is actually today, which means we might see some of this where guys who said they were coming back change their minds. Joe is the first one so far, but it's a weird year so I wouldn't be stunned with a couple more.

Joe is most likely a second rounder, if he gets drafted, but fwiw I'd have him like 23. Truly great shooter.

good for him, i imagine he's gonna end up like bradley beal where his college shooting numbers just look like a weird aberration in three years

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There has been a little chatter that the NBA may end up reopening/extending the window in light of conference closures but I guess they would have done that by now. There is some thought a lot of players may try short term Australian contracts or something to kill a year if the college season doesn't happen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

There has been a little chatter that the NBA may end up reopening/extending the window in light of conference closures but I guess they would have done that by now. There is some thought a lot of players may try short term Australian contracts or something to kill a year if the college season doesn't happen.

i imagine the nba would just do something like a hardship waiver and let players apply for a deadline exemption because their conference closed or they don’t feel safe or any number of reasons

that or a supplemental draft i guess?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So what's the deal with Aaron Nesmith? Does he have potential to become well rounded with D and ball handling or will he forever be just a shooter?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Shoutouts to ESPN for refusing to acknowledge Minnesota, who also have a 14% for the #1 pick. I will not forget this humiliation

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So what's the deal with Aaron Nesmith? Does he have potential to become well rounded with D and ball handling or will he forever be just a shooter?

I think he can eventually be okay on D but not anything special. Don't see the ball handling at all. Really good shooter but he's maybe a little bit overrated. I think ESPN has him going before Vassell which is nuts. I also think just purely as a shooter there's a good case that Bane is better, and he's definitely a better all around player.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 21, 2020

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lmao Steph’s hair.

let’s goooo

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh no Knicks

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

please please i hope the warriors get thte 4th pick please

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Grats to the Wolves for getting Andrew Wiggins again

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

congrats to anthony edwards and his upcoming 4 year career in the nba

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I know this is the most disappointing draft but somehow this lottery has made it even more disappointing

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Gonna flip it for Booker

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Gonna flip it for Booker

if portland and washington can make it to the 8/9 seed without playing any defense whatsoever, why can't we?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
So psyched that the specter of Jeff Green no longer haunts Memphis

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

So psyched that the specter of Jeff Green no longer haunts Memphis

Now I can root for the grizz again

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Anyone have a dvr. Evidently DLo said something to the effect of “it’s great to have this place for young guys to come in (slight pause) and for all-stars coming in”

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

Now I can root for the grizz again

Welcome back. We are much more exciting and fun now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Gonna flip it for Booker

wait is this a thing wolves fans actually think because I see it on Twitter too lol