Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Wonder if the Pels will look at him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

Pels would be a good spot too, someone with an older established PG that he can develop behind for a year or two is probably the best case and they need as many shooters around Zion as they can get. Lonzo can also share the playmaking duties a bit which helps.

Yeah, and the Pels are really lacking another dangerous off the dribble shooter. Right now, they just have Ingram for that and he doesn't really take those kinds of shots from 3. Having any player who can do it and do it well would be fantastic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

DeimosRising posted:

Not that this isn’t generally the case, but e.g. Jimmy Butler was a 22 year old senior who might have improved more from game 1 to peak than any current NBA player but Giannis. Not to mention of course everyone drafted before the mid 90s, but obviously that’s a whole different environment

Siakam was drafted when 22, as well, and also belongs in this discussion.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
He has more projectability as a shooter because he's actually willing to shoot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

hifi posted:

lonzo took 5.4 3's a game. I dunno

Those are the only shots he takes. He doesn't even attempt to drive to the basket. I hate it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

Nesmith being universially regarded as a possible lottery pick while Bane might be a second rounder is really weird to me. I think Bane is the clear best shooter in the draft. He could actually dribble in college, and he's also a much better passer and defender. I guess he's older and not quite as big but doesn't seem like enough of a difference to matter.

Would this be similar to the Hield vs Murray situation in their draft?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

Oh man a gigantic weird Ben Rubin article, I miss those since he got hired by an NBA team. I would not endorse drafting Jarron Cumberland, personally, but teams have done weirder things with second round picks.

I am not going to pretend I am amazing at this but I am confident I'm much better than Sam Smith

https://twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/1300780450684612609?s=19

A Pels blogger I follow said that Toppin is a six-months younger, but worse, version of Jason Collins. I haven't watched hardly any of either player so I can't say how right or wrong that is. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Yeah, I meant John Collins. My bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

no one ever says that poo poo about guys who are super right hand dominant people make a way bigger deal out of it with lefties because it looks weird

Tbf, it would also affect what side of the floor certain plays or actions could be run on to fit others' comfort spots. I could see that being a bigger deal with left handed players in a league dominated by right handed players.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

the problem is that none of the teams picking in the lower reaches of the lottery (except maybe the kings? or the spurs?) are at the point where they’re interested in developing a top piece to contend and have the resources to actually trade up

i guess the celtics might like wiseman as an upgrade at center but ainge doesn’t really ever trade up (and it would make more sense for them to just trade up to 9 or something or just let precious achiuwa fall to them if they’re convinced they can contend)

The Pels would probably want to trade up for someone like Killian Hayes, tbh. An off-the-dribble scorer that can do other things.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

6'3" IT would be an All NBA candidate, way beyond 6th man.

6'3 IT would basically be playoff Jamaal Murray.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

i think cole anthony will actually be really good; he can shoot off the dribble and runs the pick and roll really well and has a lot of the same qualities that people liked about coby white who i think will also be really good in about two years

I wouldn't hate it if the Pels drafted him, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I don't remember if I posted this before, but this guy has done an extensive write up on Killian Hayes and his other stuff may be worth reading, too: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=24373441&fan_landing=true

Hayes writeup: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4pWh6JnouEkE_cwfZRpNV40ncR-DHouWCWJuU6cQ70/edit

It's 42 pages, so... definitely clear some time if you really want to read it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s gone that’s how i know it was spicy

It was this, apparently:

https://twitter.com/DaRealBootum/status/1316799703283949568?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I miss Cheick. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I thought Kennard was the PG on Lonzo's UCLA team?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

tanglewood1420 posted:

Assets have different values to different teams.

Obviously the Lakers pick plus salary flotsam isn't getting an all-star, but I don't think anyone reasonably expects Oladipo to be one next season anyway.

Yeah, but the Pels are asking for something much better for Jrue than what you had floated out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Can the Pelicans just switch Balls?

I would very much like this to happen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

Lonzo shot pretty bad from 3 in the bubble and I'd like some numbers nerd to show if he had a higher deviation in per game shooting than average because I swear he's either shooting 5/8 and having every talk about how it's improved or 0/5 and everyone getting collective amnesia

It's the games where he takes step-backs or off-the-dribble 3s that cause the 0/5. The makes are very reliable when he is spot-up C&S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

What are his C&S numbers pre Pelicans? I heard a lot about Lonzo's improved shot and how much better it was after they worked on it but if he's still limited to C&S only it seems more refinement and repetition based improvements.

Which isn't bad I'm just wondering if the staff just threw in the towel early on the idea of him ever being more than he is.

🤷‍♂️

I think the staff is more concerned about getting him to attack defenses going towards the basket than about him shooting better than 15-20% on step-back 3s.