Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just started looking for a text source to put together my watch list and wow, Nico's a top prospect? I like Nico a lot but I figured it would be the sort of thing where I was liking him because I cheer for the team, I didn't expect him to be a national prospect.

By the way if anyone has a simple text list of players it would be super helpful. Like preferably with Name, School, Year, Height although I can make everything work with just name and school.

E: I finally found something useable as I posted this. Simple enough that you can paste it into excel.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-draft-2020-prospect-rankings-big-board-top-players/1l8tpmxn7kicl1dvhc85g9royw

Any obvious missing names from that list that I should watch?

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I like Nico a lot. Obviously you wish he was a better athlete but he's a really good passer and shooter. If it turns out he isn't athletic enough to hold down point full I think he's at least going to be a smart ball mover and a guy who can run off screens for threes. I also like Green from Zona.

I don't love the order of that bord but I think it's fine as just a list of dudes. I think the only people I'd add for sure are Isiah Livers at Michigan and Tshiebwe at West Virginia. Maybe Trayce Jackson-Davis from Indiana and Caleb Wesson at OSU (Carton on OSU is also going to be really good but he's more if a two and done than a one and done probably).

It definitely could be

Cool, added them. Yeah at some point I'm going to resort that by . . . ESPN Plus order? Athletic mock? One of those I guess, RIP draft express.

I wish I did not have a job so I could watch like 80 dudes like I did a few years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wish we got to see LaMelo in college because Lonzo always looked great against that level of talent but in college for careful observers you could see which parts of it were a facade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ingram in general shot well the second half of every season so this wasn't a total surprise. He was told by a player he idolized to stop shooting who also happened to be his boss so that didn't help.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well I'm glad Reggie Perry balled out because otherwise drat Anthony Edwards pretty much wasted my time in my first game of his.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My DVR's harddrive died the weekend of the superbowl, I lost like 20 games )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I lost so much that I don't know if I can actually do it this year but at least the very little player watching, it doesn't feel like a draft full of guys who aren't going to be able to make NBA teams which is sometimes the vibe I get from some people's worries on the draft. The fact that most of the 19 class has had a more normal developmental cycle than the 2018 draft where so many players were ready to play right away makes me think that there will be minutes for this year's class to compete for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I had a bizarre pain dream tht Anthony Edwards was playing for the Pistons and they were wearing the horsehead jerseys he'd chosen number 7. He wore his hair very tight, and I believe after he made a shot he high fived Cassius Winston, who was wearing number 99. I've never had a dream about basketball that didn't involve me playing in 10th grade before. Is this a prophecy?

Nico mannion, he doesn't seem too bad

I like Nico but he is offensively very inconsistent, and Arizona's definitely lost to some bad teams because he's had the ball in his hand a lot but done nothing with it. Although I guess there isn't any prospect this season you can't put that tag on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd be so scared to have Anthony Edwards available if I was a GM. Biggest disparity between the ceiling and floor I can recall.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Well he's got my attention at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Remember when all the draft news was that Siakam was going to miss two years if he played at all? I half wonder if that was something that other teams threw out there to get a shot at him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not surprised Remy Martin, went back, he's fringe second rounder, but I fully expect him to go to an NBA team and get a lot of minutes for a team I see a lot and he'll only play good against the Lakers to continue to spite me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There has been a little chatter that the NBA may end up reopening/extending the window in light of conference closures but I guess they would have done that by now. There is some thought a lot of players may try short term Australian contracts or something to kill a year if the college season doesn't happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

On a related note I love seeing fans of teams that landed at the top of the lottery go "This draft sucks; we should trade our pick for something better!"

Lots of keen basketball minds on the internet. Only hope their GMs can be as savvy

There are a lot of guys in this draft who I think can contribute and even start, it's just missing any potential stars, and some of the worst picks might be at the top.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I half wonder if Aldridge gets bought out and joins the Clippers next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if the fact that at the very least there won’t be college basketball in much of the nation before January means more players will or will not reclassify for 2021.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have seen a lot of Nico, including in person and even when he has games with good numbers it often just feels like he isn’t there. The shot is really inconsistent. He is good on the drive but doesn’t seem trust it. He is a good passer though.

In a way he is Sean Miller’s masterpiece in turning a absolutely garbage defender into a decent one.

I dunno, I could see him fitting in to the right coach’s system and being a dude who has a long career or just washing out in the G league in two years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Katana_Warrior posted:

I figured it out

though cleveland might rather send out darius garland instead of kevin porter since they'd prbably be grabbing Ball here

Garland would be drafted ahead of Ball this year so I don’t know why you would do that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Garland would be a lot more impressive if he had been allowed to finish his season, he was starting to put numbers up and I was pleased with his progress. He isn't getting the bump most rookie starters get from having a whole half season of garbage time to just collect stats.

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/1303390106489847809?s=19

I can kind of see the Bazley thing I guess but MPJ and McDaniels are not similar players at all aside from being tall wings. The revisionism on MPJ is so dumb, no one thought he was a bad offensive player! The issue everyone had with him was defense, where he still sucks, and health. For some reason being healthy for one partial season has convinced people that having back surgery before he turned 20 will never cause any problems down the road.

The whole narrative about teams passing on him is bad. Denver was pretty much the only team in position to draft him and let him sit a year, they had a stacked roster already, and plenty of cap space, had another team drafted a guy who couldn't sit in a chair during his draft interviews that high they would have been taking a much bigger risk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Remy Martin would be a nice scoring punch off the bench ... . ... . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

If only Remy and Bassy Telfair had been on the same team at the same time

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm actually not sure what LaMelo's purpose to going is unless he is sure his measurements are good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's also a good way to improve terms with agents. Guys at that level need as many workouts as possible to showcase themselves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Katana_Warrior posted:

oh my god, i just started listening to this and the host keeps saying "you know" super fast and several times a sentence. luckily many years of listening to basketball podcasters with awful vocal ticks has trained me for this moment

This is another area where wrestling fans have an advantage by being trained by Dave Meltzer to ignore verbal ticks and sound quality issues, in fact I find such things to be inherently amusing now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

In any case the Hornets are going to have two top-three picks once they execute my masterstroke

Yeah, even the 2000 Worst-of-all-time doom draft had Michael Redd hiding in the second round

I like this trade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I did a mock of what I think I would do if I ran every team, not totally sure I got every team's needs right but was a fun exercise.

https://tradenba.com/mock-drafts/u_dSjjYOD

I'd be pretty excited if the Lakers picked Winston since I almost feel like you could stick him on the court now (in a normal season, although maybe not with a 2 week training camp).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Stolen from Reddit but more (or I guess less but different) people should see it: https://theplaygrounder.com/2020/10/26/predicting-three-point-shooting-2020-nbadraft/

E: I should say what it is and be less annoying: It's an attempt to predict what people will shot from three in the NBA via math.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If the Celtics called offering like the 13 and Theis I would probably consider it if I was the Warriors. They are in such a perilous situation that getting someone who will play now and someone who probably won't be a lot worse than #2 to develop, yeah I'd think about it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

How did Bill Simmons steal Rick's account?

Lol I looked at like 3 teams to find one in the middle of the draft that had a player who played minutes for them that they could spare who wasn't making max money, Celtics were the first one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

LaMelo Ball #1 pick :lol:

I'm so glad the Lakers have a meaningless pick this year

It's a draft where the Lakers can get a player with that pick and they probably should since this poo poo is going to get really expensive really fast and they don't have a pick next year. It's not life or death they get it right but it could make things a lot easier.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

If the Lakers can package that pick with some players into Oldapido, or even better Jrue, then they should do that. Drafting some rookie 28th who isn't going to be useful in the playoffs for two or three years isn't very useful considering LeBron's timeline.

And as for expense of the team going forward:

1. They are the Lakers, the luxury tax is meaningless to them
2. Currently their books for 2021-22 are Lebron's player option and Luol Deng's dead money, that's it. They are super clean cap wise moving forward at the moment.

I mean yeah if they can do that they should but I feel like Indiana or NO messed up if the best they can get is Kuzma and Danny Green and the #30 for one of their better players. And their books get pretty messy pretty fast if KCP and Dwight get their market value. Maybe they can talk them into taking one year deals but doesn't usually happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Katana_Warrior posted:

my sources are saying that tre jones is creeping into the lottery discussion

https://twitter.com/MGRADS/status/1326182512196902912

https://twitter.com/MGRADS/status/1326183246179098626

e: mgrad's timeline for the past 8 hours is pretty much claiming that every prospect is being underrated and i imagine he's going to just delete all the ones that don't pan out lol, love that guy

I have been a big fan of Tre being able to play in the NBA and advocated it in draft threads where I saw more than 4 guys. He is pretty much your prototypical “goes in the late 20s or 40s” type of dude where contenders or wannabe contenders draft guys who can probably play but are probably not stars but in a draft where the ceiling is nor super high for anyone I can see him going higher.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Combine numbers should already be taken with a big grain of salt but that's especially true with the way it's being done this year.

That's where basically everyone projects him though. I don't see where he's being underrated. He's fine but his defense got quite a bit worse as a sophomore and he has big questions as a shooter. I think he can be a totally solid backup but hard to see him ever starting for a good team, and there are ton of solid borderline starting PG types this year. I'd rather take Flynn or Winston who both also have some value off the ball because of their shooting (and really I think Flynn is just kinda better at everything)

Oh I don't really think he's underrated, I was more commenting on the tweet's suggestion he might go in the lottery.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3/status/1327778726294261761?s=19

Come read about my smart handsome dad Xavier Tillman, my bouncy son Onyeka, and some other scrub

This is a good read. I thought Onyeka was a player I had managed to watch before my DVR died but I guess not according to my notes, at least not last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Looking at my notes I didn't commit to thoughts on Anthony Edwards but my one game impression of him was "Great passing. Good defense. The fact that Mississippi State’s height bothered him is a red flag. Footwork is not good. " I also apparently really liked Reggie Perry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

And even then I think he was probably most famous for being The Non-Ball on those Chino Hills teams, despite being California's Mr. Basketball two years in a row

That is probably why the name is familiar, I debased myself by watching a Chino Hills game at some point in my life.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

you should watch more

Reggie Perry is pretty good.

Hahah definitely, I even told myself to in the notes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A definite weird thing of having the draft now is usually preseason college ball is under way by now and teams are getting ready to do their ill advised tournaments in foreign lands.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/1329178267061002250?s=19

if you want to root against this kid because stephen a smith talked about his dad too much or whatever be my guest but he is objectively fun as hell and you are wrong sorry

Yeah when people try to paint him as a bad kid it is really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think we should do a GDT just so these threads are still searchable easily.