Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just because basketball is dead or is this the most uninteresting class ever? Ball intrigues me even though I hate his dad. Wiseman and Edwards might be ok. After I don't really care about anyone.

And Okongwu looks to be solid but im still torn on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think 9-16 might end up being better overall than the first 8 guys. One of those kind of drafts. Like 1 or 2 of the top names turn out good/great, 5 or 6 good players in the late lottery.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

On the current ESPN mock there's a run of four straight picks starting at 39 that are guys I have ranked between 15-22 so, uh, one of us is very wrong (it's probably me)

Who are your guys? If its Tillman and Bane, same. Reed is the kind of guy I think will be a steal but jury still out for sure.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frustrated posted:

The Spurs desperately need a PF/SF who plays D and can shoot / run with the young guys. I'd trade the 11 and Aldridge in a heart beat if the Spurs could move up to get Obi Toppin. Saddiq Bey, Onyeka Okongwu, Patrick Williams, or Precious Achiuwa would all be decent fits as well.

The Spurs already have a billion guards, including White, Murray, Walker, and Johnson who all looked great in the bubble. Spurs need to dump Aldridge, go up tempo with DeRozan steadying the offense for one more year, then go all in on youth in 2021/2022 or at the trade deadline if they're out of the playoff race.

I feel like Toppin could fall to 11. Wouldn't surprise me much.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else here like Tyrell Terry? If he was 6'6" I would grab him in the late lottery, no question. I feel like low assist #s were due to teammates. Having weapons around him would help that. Seems competetive as well, a lil fire in him. Need to see more of that on D for sure, but I really, really like him @ 21 or 22.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I think he can be another Curry. Seth. But still thats a good pick at 16+ IMO.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Sekou gonna be more of a 3 or 4? I watched 0.5 Pistons games this year. Can he shoot at all? Stats look bad. I know nothing about him other than some tape from before the draft last year.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

I'm actually not sure what LaMelo's purpose to going is unless he is sure his measurements are good.

My theory: He wants to go #1. Toss up between him and the other 2 (possibly 3). I think just by showing up and reminding people what he is capable of might generate some sort of recency bias type of thing.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone explain the difference between Okoro and MKG / Stanley Johnson, the "best D in the class who can't shoot".

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong in thinking he is more or less 6'3" IT? Instant offense. Probably wont ever be a star, but hey 17 pts off the bench is valuable.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

6’3 isaiah thomas is a perennial all-star

To be clear, I meant more of "he'll produce similarly to not Celtics IT."

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Nanterre92/status/1317431931441733633?s=19

Victor Wembanyama showing off a smooth jumper but also making Rudy Gobert look like a normal sized and proportioned human by comparison lmao.

I don't think it's too early to declare him #2 in 2022. I don't like Holmgren as much as the lil french boy.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ive just been assuming double draft is a go.

Nganga (whom I love) and Cooper (whom I dont) are the only other two prospects Ive bothered to know anything about from 22/23.
Edit: i forgot to mention I saw a Precious Achiuwa draft comp to Antoine Walker. Thought yall might get a kick out of that. Whats the worst comp youve seen in this class?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 18, 2020

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be happy taking a real fluid version of Drummond @ 2 or 3 honestly. I know shooting is super important, but i think he has a good enough stroke to be deadly from 18 at least. Im pretty much sold on Wiseman, i think hes good enough to end up being solid on D. I think picking him is wise, man. Dont ban me for that

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone tell me what a KAT Toppin front court would be from a defensive perspective

4 blocks and 3 steals a game. But -45 pts allowed kinda thing. IMO, it might be worth it. If they resign Beasley and Culver and Okogie can actually shoot 3s, and they get some depth in frontcourt, They could have a top 5 offense.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im starting to think Hayes is #1 on my board. The more I watch, the more I feel like he is most solid, polished pg in the last 3 or 4 years. I mean, it feels like his right hand, lack of elite athleticism, and 3p% are the only thing holding him back. One is fixable, one doesnt matter much, and one should come w a few years. I think 4 or 5 teams will look back w regret.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 24, 2020

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey fools lets talk about Jay Scrubb. On one hand, JUCO competition. On the other, he was offered Louisville and they know whats up mostly. He looks really nice to me. Plus Devean George was D3 and did well. What team picking 40+ will gamble?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ben was a lesson to all NBA GMs that not every hooper who went through horrible adversity would become Jimmy Butler. I'm glad he's become a functional role player though, he's easy to root for.

New mocks all seem to have Deni Avdija in the top three or close, what do you think about him?

56%ft. Thats all i need to know. He has some game, but i cant look past this anymore. Guys like Roberson have soured me, as much as I love my boy. He could be a great piece, ala Draymond really.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that exactly. I can easily see its possible for him to be really really good, but unlikely.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also believe my Mississippi State boys, Perry and Woodard, are gonna be good for 2nd rounders. Perry is not nearly as strong as Tillman as a short roll passer (X is maybe the best in the draft), but I can see Perry doing a lot of the same things. He is a little slow laterally. Woodard is just kind of a beast of man with some sneaky athleticism and a decent jumper.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Woodard is probably fine as a bench wing. Tall guy who tries on D and can kinda shoot can usually find a place a roster. Less convinced on Perry but I like him better than some of the centers that will go ahead of him like Stewart and Carey.

32% from 3 aint great, but he made great strides in that cat, upping ft% to 77% as well. I think ppl are underestimating him. I dont expect him to be an allstar, but if your 2nd rd pick sticks around for 9 or 10 years, its a success. I have foreseen this.

What site has some more advanced stats for ncaab? Free also.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isaac Okoro or Lamelo Ball.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats what i meant, okoro at 8 or lamelo at 2 prob

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to mention 270lbs of space clearing meat.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kendrick Perkins says WAS needs a wing so they should take RJ over Onyeka. Boy howdy.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katana_Warrior posted:

I'm going to make my own prospect heuristic that measures people based on

Motor
Jumper
Hand size
Mamba Mentality
Gait (binary, either bad or good)

I guarantee itll be just as successful as the ESPN model

No joke, can we make a 10 cat SA Model? I will volunteer a lot of time to helping w spreadsheets. Some more ideas:

Hair theory
Name Game
FT% (not coming off this one)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Motor
Jumper (is it butter?)
Hand size
Mamba Mentality
Hair Name
FT%
AST/TOV
SoS or TS%
Ws/48

Good enough???

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Motor
Jumper (is it butter?)
Hand size
Mamba Mentality
Hair Name
FT%
AST/TOV
SoS or TS%
Ws/48

Someone please help me w data for Gait (1 for good,0 for bad)
Same w Mamba mentality, motor, and Hair Theory. I can handle the rest.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put in everything but motor, gait, mamba, np and hair. Missing about 33% of hand measurements. I got sort of an average for those based on their height, just to run it preliminarily(?). This model favors efficient point guards. Hayes is 1. Hali, Winston, Flynn, Pritchard, Jones high. Achiuwa at bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I legit hate him now. Thats some dumb poo poo.