Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.bufcreamery.com/how/

I've taken to eating this cheese because, I confess, I'm sort of into eating bison stuff and this was "buffalo mozzarella, from real buffaloes!" So I was like, cool.

As someone who has been pedantic about this, it's shameful for me to admit, I thought they meant bison. But they didn't, they meant buffalo-buffalo. Water buffalo. What the hell? I thought I was supporting some weird American initiative to milk the bison we also raise for meat or whatever, but instead it turns out these are from Colombian water buffalo and I didn't even loving think they used them for hoofstock there. Is this normal?

I'm sort of having a moment here because, huh?? Why have I been eating water buffalo cheese from Colombia? It's pretty tasty but I have a completely different impression now of whatever the gently caress I've been eating this entire time :psyduck:

I assure you, no one decided to get Pick from SomethingAwful to advertise weird cheese for them. I'm literally inviting someone from Colombia, or who knows wtf is going on, to come explain this to me. Do people actually use them there or was this the result of some sort of weird initiative that went awry and they were like, oh god, what do we do with all this water buffalo milk?

Has anyone had bison mozzarella? Is it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pick posted:

I've taken to eating this cheese because, I confess, I'm sort of into eating bison stuff and this was "buffalo mozzarella, from real buffaloes!" So I was like, cool.

As someone who has been pedantic about this, it's shameful for me to admit, I thought they meant bison. But they didn't, they meant buffalo-buffalo. Water buffalo. What the hell? I thought I was supporting some weird American initiative to milk the bison we also raise for meat or whatever, but instead it turns out these are from Colombian water buffalo and I didn't even loving think they used them for hoofstock there. Is this normal?

I'm sort of having a moment here because, huh?? Why have I been eating water buffalo cheese from Colombia? It's pretty tasty but I have a completely different impression now of whatever the gently caress I've been eating this entire time :psyduck:

I assure you, no one decided to get Pick from SomethingAwful to advertise weird cheese for them. I'm literally inviting someone from Colombia, or who knows wtf is going on, to come explain this to me. Do people actually use them there or was this the result of some sort of weird initiative that went awry and they were like, oh god, what do we do with all this water buffalo milk?

It is definitely better, but I've only had the "authentic" buffalo mozzarella from Italy while I was overseas. Dunno about Colombia though

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Buffalo died out over a century ago. it's not buffalo cheese you are eating, pick... Proceed with care.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They grow rice there. The two track each other pretty well.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

holy poo poo buffalo cheese comes from buffalo?? someone call steven hawking to come explain this to me because my mind is melting!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It is definitely better, but I've only had the "authentic" buffalo mozzarella from Italy while I was overseas. Dunno about Colombia though

It definitely tastes different, whatever animal it is, it's certainly not cow, sheep, or goat which are the cheeses that I most easily recognize.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Groovin on some funky cheez. :rznv:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

holy poo poo buffalo cheese comes from buffalo?? someone call steven hawking to come explain this to me because my mind is melting!!!!!

And that's not the only thing that's a-melting! Mamma mia!!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Buffalo got exported all around to make cheese, theres some famous italian cheeses from water buffalo ranches in italy.

Edit: They also get exported around as draft animals, which apparently happened in Columbia's case in the 40's and I guess that cheese company went "Well Italy is doing it so why can't we"

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 27, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

It definitely tastes different, whatever animal it is, it's certainly not cow, sheep, or goat which are the cheeses that I most easily recognize.

Do water buffalo eat like swamp sludge and freshwater plants, that would probably do it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

COLOMBIANAL

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
we have a huge problem with feral water buffalo in the far north of australia, they got spread everywhere as draught animals for areas too swampy for cow but they're not actually great draught animals so ended up just running wild all over the drat world and trampling our precious wetlands

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Oh wow Australia took an animal and then made a big problem out of it, shocking

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
can I get Buffalo Blue Cheese for my Buffalo Wings?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

American bison aren’t mammals, phylogenetically they’re most closely related to sea turtles.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pick posted:

It’s probably because of cheaper labor costs. Enjoy your Colombian slave cheese op.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

Buffalo got exported all around to make cheese, theres some famous italian cheeses from water buffalo ranches in italy.

Edit: They also get exported around as draft animals, which apparently happened in Columbia's case in the 40's and I guess that cheese company went "Well Italy is doing it so why can't we"

poo poo, I looked into it and it turns out I'm a rube and water buffalo cheese is the proper way for this type of cheese to be made :doh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
shamed af right now

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

fauna posted:

we have a huge problem with feral water buffalo in the far north of australia, they got spread everywhere as draught animals for areas too swampy for cow but they're not actually great draught animals so ended up just running wild all over the drat world and trampling our precious wetlands

They are literally the most popular draft animal in the world. The reasons why they are everywhere is because they got exported everywhere and then either escaped or got abandoned and went feral.

But yes, turns out large herds of swamp cows wreck poo poo up. I think Australia has perpetual open season on them.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 27, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i love cheese of all types its great

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

i love cheese of all types its great

That's cool

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i especially like the stuff with stuff growin in and/or on the cheese

they stink much like i do

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

i especially like the stuff with stuff growin in and/or on the cheese

they stink much like i do

I'm gonna have to agree with this post, on both counts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

They are literally the most popular draft animal in the world. The reasons why they are everywhere is because they got exported everywhere and then either escaped or got abandoned and went feral.

But yes, turns out large herds of swamp cows wreck poo poo up. I think Australia has perpetual open season on them.

Yeah a pest designation tends to bear with that, there's a number of species like that by locality in the usa also. You can shoot nutria any time for example.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
and pick said to three olives "those times when there was only one thread was when i carried you"

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
iTT buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I had one of those cache valley cheese and beef sticks. Where's my medal?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The American bison or simply bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo or simply buffalo

What the gently caress is this? Did they try to change identities to escape the slaughter or what?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo cheese buffalo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Icochet posted:

The American bison or simply bison (Bison bison), also commonly known as the American buffalo or simply buffalo

What the gently caress is this? Did they try to change identities to escape the slaughter or what?

It's cause morans. Europe used to have wizent and bison and buffalo and aurochs but nobody remembered exactly what they looked like so the names got all mixed up

Same as moose and elk, nobody in the old country knows poo poo about this stuff

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"Hi i'm Bison Bison Bison but call be Buff. Wanna try my cheese?*"

-someone about to get thrown out of the dinner party

*cheese actually made by cousin from south america

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's cause morans. Europe used to have wizent and bison and buffalo and aurochs but nobody remembered exactly what they looked like so the names got all mixed up

Same as moose and elk, nobody in the old country knows poo poo about this stuff

An elk crossed with a moose would be called a melk or an eloose

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pick aren't you some sort of bioscientist person

This isn't a good look Becky

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

I'm literally inviting someone from Colombia

buenos dias Pick

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

they also have hippos in colombia because of the drugs, try milking one of those for its delicious cheese

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pastry of the Year posted:

buenos dias Pick

I used to work with a dude named Juan Valdez(the name of the dude in this closet for you younger peeps), and every time he'd get paged over the intercom we'd all yell, "Where's our coffee, Juan?!"

He eventually talked the office staff into changing his name to J.C Valdez, which sounded cooler, but we just started yelling, "Where's our coffee, Jesus?!"

I've since changed jobs, but from what I hear they're still giving him endless poo poo about his name even though that commercial has been off the air for years.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i hadn't taken you for a cheese philistine pick

you're really ruining your bougie white liberal reputation itt

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Telsa Cola posted:

Sounds like they should import some American settlers to solve that problem. They’ve already brutally killed the natives and a couple big time mass shootings in Australia so I don’t think there should be any negative side effects

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

It’s probably because of cheaper labor costs. Enjoy your Colombian slave cheese op.

Any time you buy a product from Colombia that isn't cocaine you put some money into a non-cartel farmer's pocket so that he can pay the cartel tax and not get beheaded or whatever they do now. Legit exports also provide cover for cocaine exports, which drives down the price of cocaine. It's a win win no matter how you look at it :unsmith:

Also this video will teach you about buffalo mozzarella if you just want to know why or how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0TcF-pe3As

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Kenji from serious eats says that's the best Buffalo mozzarella outside of Italy. His wife is Colombian and they travel there a lot.