Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's that time of year where we talk about the worst anime of 2019

code:
Ace Attorney Season 2
A Certain Magical Index III
A Certain Scientific Accelerator
Actors: Songs Connection
Africa Salaryman
AFTERLOST / Shometsu Toshi
After School Dice Club
Aikatsu Friends!
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel
Amazing Stranger
Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai! 3
Ao-chan Can't Study!
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Assassin’s Pride
Astra Lost in Space
Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
BAKUMATSU Crisis
Bananya and the Curious Bunch
BanG Dream! S2
BEM
Bermuda Triangle ~ Colorful Pastrale
Boogiepop Never Laughs
B-Project! * Zecchou Emotion
Bungo Stray Dogs Season 3
Captain Tsubasa (2018)
Cardfight!! Vanguard (2018)
Carole & Tuesday
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
Children of the Sea
Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy
Cinderella Girls Gekijou CLIMAX SEASON
Cinderella Nine
Circlet Princess
Cop Craft
Date A Live III
Demon Lord, Retry!
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Dimension High School
Domestic Girlfriend
Dororo
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Dr. Stone
ENDRO!
Ensemble Stars!
Fairy Gone
Fairy Tail: Final Series
Fire Force
Fruits Basket (2019) First Season
Future Card Buddyfight Ace
Girly Air Force
given
GRANBELM
Grimm's Notes The Animation
Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie?
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World / Choyoyu
Hinomaru Zumo
Hi Score Girl Season 2
Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu
Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo! Season 2 / Hey, Your Cat Ears Are Showing! Season 2
How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
Hugtto! Precure
Hulaing Babies
If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
Inazuma Eleven: The Seal of Orion
Isekai Cheat Magician
Isekai Quartet
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? S2 / Danmachi S2
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Joshi Kausei
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Kakegurui XX
Kandagawa Jet Girls
Karakuri Circus
Katana Maidens ~ Mini Toji
Kemono Friends 2
Kemono Michi: Rise Up
kemurikusa.
Kengan Ashura
KING OF PRISM - Shiny Seven Stars -
Kiratto Pri-chan
Kochoki
Kono Oto Tomare!
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Seiran / LoGH Remake Season 2
Levius
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Machikado Mazoku / The Demon Girl Next Door
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai
Manaria Friends
Meiji Tokyo Renka
Midnight Occult Civil Servants
Million Arthur 2
MIX
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet
Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
Mo Dao Zu Shi Season 2 / Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation Season 2
My Roommate is a Cat
Nakanohito Genome [Jikkyouchuu] 
Namuamidabutsu! -UTENA-
Nobunaga teacher's young bride
No Guns Life
Null & Peta
O Maidens In Your Savage Season
One-Punch Man Season 2
ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me?
Pastel Memories
Piano no Mori Season 2
Pokemon Sun & Moon
PROMARE
PSYCHO-PASS Season 3
Radiant
Rainy Cocoa sideG
Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl
Re:Stage! Dream Days
Real Girl Season 2
Ride Your Wave
Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan
Rising of Shield Hero
RobiHachi
Run With The Wind
Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou
Sarazanmai
Senryu Girl
Shin Chuuka Ichiban
Shonen Ashibe Go! Go! Goma-chan Season 3
Sounan des kua? / Are You Lost?
Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit / Tokunana
Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
STARMYU 3
Stars Align
Strike the Blood III
Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off!
Sword Art Online: Alicization
Symphogear XV
Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 2
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
The Helpful Fox Senko-san
The Magnificent KOTOBUKI
The Morose Mononokean Season 2
The Price of Smiles
The Promised Neverland
The Quintessential Quintuplets
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Try Knights
Tsurune
Ultramarine Magmel
Val x Love
Vinland Saga
VIRTUALSAN - LOOKING
W'z
Wasteful Days of HIgh School Girls
Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me
Welcome, Chitose
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN
Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!?
Wise Man's Grandchild
Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 7
Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World
Z/X: Code Reunion
Zoids Wild
As ever, the rules

Worst Anime 2019
1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted (weighted votes may be counted seperately)
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

To be clear, the reason for rule 1 is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

Most Avoided Anime 2019

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You now get three votes in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices
:siren:5.) For the sake of human decency and generally not being an rear end in a top hat, don't put that you avoided a bl show just because of it being bl. I will ask the mod to punish people who cant follow this rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Best anime thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The only show that I've seen enough of that I would consider bad would be Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS. A troubled pre-production and early directorial switch-up almost certainly left things behind the scenes shakey, which probably contributed to the constant recap episodes and the glacial pacing as far as the plot was concerned. The character writing for the main character Yusaku wasn't very interesting, and the side characters mostly existed to be beaten up by the rivals of the season before Yusaku dekt with them. It's gives ZeXaL a run for the weakest Yugioh series, and at least the plot and characters in ZeXaL I found to be a lot more engaging.

As for most avoided:

1Kemono Friends Season 2 the first season was an underdog story of a small studio developing a surprisingly engaging story with a lot of love and care put into it, for a franchise that for all intents and purposes was dead with the video-game it was supposed to be advertising shutting down before it even aired. And it was a good show! Unfortunately Kadokawa decided to fire all the staff involved and the end result was what seemed to me to be a soulless cash grab at gaining what profits they could still harvest from the #Brand. Also from the few spoilers I looked up it sounded like they took a steaming dump over the first season's story, which was even more reason to never check out this trash heap.

2.Cinderella Nine If you want to watch an anime of girls playing Baseball, Princess Nine has got you covered. Cinderella Nine was not very well directed, and looked awful most of the time.

3.Rising of Shield HeroExtremely problematic writing that, even if not intentional, really reads like an MRA/Incel's fantasy story, including our hero enslaving underage furry girls and the show going out of it's way to portray our hero doing this as a good thing. Ugh. And even outside of all that...it's just not a very interesting or well written story.

Julias fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 27, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Worst:

Arifureta. I wasn't expecting it to be good, but on top of being bad it was also hideous to look at.

Make My Abilities Average. Alright it's probably not that bad but I didn't watch that much this year, and as an adaption it is tremendously disappointing. Also why the gently caress did it invent a lesbian pedophile villain to center three episodes around.

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka. Again, I expected it to be edgy nonsense, but it didn't even have the decency to animate half of it's action scenes.

Most Avoided:

Shield Hero. I read enough of the manga to know I have no interest in putting myself through more of this poo poo.

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World. The title pretty much sums up why I feel my eyes sliding away from it.

Danmachi s2. I watched half of the first episode of season 1 and hated it, so I was never going to go near more of it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched Cinderalla Nine and it was not great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, I didn't watch three or more episodes of enough shows I hated to give a complete list, but I did see enough to have a "most disappointing" section of the list.

3) Astra Lost In Space.

Like last year, this spot goes to something that's more a disappointment than outright hatred, but unlike last year, it's not in any way a real "worst" candidate. It never aimed for the heights or came crashing down to the depths. It merely failed to be the show I wanted, despite a strong opening, an exciting premise, and pretty dang good foreshadowing for the twists. If I three episode rule'd more things, than it'd be replaced in a heartbeat, but the incredibly weak finale (an hour long special with no conflict whatsoever!) got it the nod. I'm not mad, Astra. I'm just disappointed.

2) No Guns Life.

No, wait. This is what disappointed feels like. How did this fail so much? You've got a cool setting, a dystopian cyberpunk city in the aftermath of a world war. You got a bunch of fun supporting characters ready to bounce off the hero and each other. And that hero is a man with a gun for a head! How it managed to weave so much gold into straw, I'll never know. But... it did. Instead of leaning into the premise with a case-of-the-week style format, it slogged through whole episodes just having people talk about what the case was going to be.

1) Boogiepop and Others.

Boogiepop was just one of those things I had vaguely heard of until this year. Like Lain and Kino, it was one of the ancients, an anime that you name-dropped to show that you were into stuff that needed a little thinking to appreciate, not just the stuff with some action. Which meant I was kind of pumped for this. Lain's a classic, and even though I know it's not held in as high regard, the new Kino's Journey was one of my favorites in 2017. Aoi Yuuki starring in another callback to that set sounded good to me.

And then I watched it, and it didn't sound good any more. I spent the first episodes confused. And not good "ending of Big O" confused. We're talking the "why should I care?" kind of confused. Between the mixed up non-linear narrative, the show's reluctance to explain things so that people can understand, and the bland character designs, nothing seemed worth the effort to follow. Reviews from people familiar with the novels reinforced my position, confirming that they were less confusingly structured and more interested in the inner lives of the cast.

I'm skipping over most avoided, both because I feel I can't fairly sort the bad from the terrible just on the descriptions, and because staring at a list of all the most unpleasant anime in a year doesn't strike me as the most fun use of my time, but I do have an honorable mention for my worst list, due to having only one episode watched.

Granbelm might not be the worst show of its season, but it sure knows how to make a bad first impression. First off, we get a girl with short pink hair who just wants to be helpful with secret magic potential paired with an aloof and mysterious black haired veteran as she's tossed into a world of magic, and gee, never seen that before. Then we get no idea who characters are as people before watching a smoothly animated but horribly choreographed mech fight with no idea as to the rules, the stakes, or what anyone's goals are.

I know that people rave about it, and I've seen shows with rough openings get good, but what I saw was bad enough to ensure I didn't go for a second episode, no matter how much I love giant robots and existential despair.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
whatever anime you, the reader, enjoyed

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm not normally patient enough to give shows three episodes so I just have two bad anime for my list:

One-Punch Man Season 2
Probably closer to average than bad but this was so disappointing after how much I enjoyed season 1 that it seemed worse than it actually was

Fire Force
I gradually lost interest in this as it went on and how Tamaki was treated ended up being the final straw. The OP was great though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really enjoyed Granbelm for most of its run, but the finale really soured me on it hard. Was expecting it to give its villain some sort of more nuanced motivation and it really didn't, and it felt like the moral of the story veered way, way, way too close to validating its lead's suicidal tendencies for my taste.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Worst:
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - watched the whole thing, waiting for something to provide even a little bit of a challenge for the main character. Nope, everything solved easily. So boring. I've also watched harem shows that had less mindless adoration of the main character by the other characters than this show.

A Certain Magical Index III - watched it all and I still have no idea what was going on. If a viewer has to have read the LN and/or manga beforehand to understand the show, just don't make the show. I only watched to the end in case having watched it helps when I watch A Certain Scientific Railgun T next year.

Demon Lord, Retry! - 3 episodes and out. Not even the animators seemingly cared about the show. So generic you could almost see the cookie-cutters just off-screen.

Avoided:
Kemono Friends 2 - that this twisted abomination was ever created is a stain upon all of humanity for the eternity of time

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cop Craft is the only thing I watched enough episodes of before dropping to qualify. I made it through 5 episodes. The premise was interesting but I really hated Tilarna's design and was very skeptical it wouldn't be creepy about her. It started out OK-ish but after hearing about the escalating skeeve in the back half I decided to quit before investing any more time on this one.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will give almost any isekai a chance

Demon Lord, Retry!
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Rising of Shield Hero

These are all extreme garbage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll probably make a more coherent list later, but:
  • I kinda wanted to like That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Alas, it bored me and I bailed on it after like... 5 episodes? I like easygoing series and all (I mean, Yuru Camp is still legit one of my fave things from last year), but I honestly felt like I was gonna get nothing out of it, so I bailed.
  • Kakegurui XX felt like it was gonna do right by me after the completely lackluster ending of S1 left me hesitant to continue the series. And season 2 appeared to correct course! I mean, it had more crazy Saori Hayami (and even some crazy Tomokazu Sugita thrown in for good measure!) noises! But nope. Same as two years ago: it pooped the bed towards the end. Again.
  • Isekai Quartet. I still like 3 out of the 4 series that were represented herein and just... got nothing out of it. :shrug:

Gag Choice:
Senryuu Shoujo: Not enough crazy Iwata noises! :mad:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im not really interested in anime that are just bad, cause theres millions in those. i find the ones that show promise but just fall flat way worse. some of my biggest disappointments this year:

carole & tuesday. easily watanabe's worst show. incredibly shallow and without anything of worth to say. i dropped it despite making the thread

Kanata no Astra: thought this had a great anime christopher nolan beginning, but it ended up being increasingly dumb until it culminated in the maddeningly stupid ending

No Guns Life: ep 1 promised to feature all that i liked in anime, the following eps threw all that away

Cop Craft: shoulda arrested whoever was responsible for the animation of this

edit: i realized yamato 2202 ended this year. awful followup that blatantly ignores and contradicts any set up plot threads from season 1 and infuses the series with totally different, awful theming. as expected from the japanese tom clancy

Davincie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 28, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Boogiepop and Others i think. a boring rote adaption

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Worst:
1. Danmachi s2 - Gotta start with the one I was most personally invested in that completely and utterly let me down. While s1 turned a rote premise and character archetypes into heartwarming fun with amazing animation highlights, this season was a total mess. The plotting felt rushed, the action was nowhere near up to par of s1, and every villain was some sort of awful pervert rapist. The latter also results in some extended musing on whore/madonna complex junk that is just so stupid, and the whole tone of the show gets bogged down in the darkness of these storylines to its overall detriment. Even grading on the curve of the Sword Oratoria spinoff, there balance of seriousness to comedy is truly at its lowest here in s2. After the abysmal movie and now this season I shan't be returning to the series.

2. B-Project! Zecchou * Emotion - A bit less personal investment here, but the original B-Project was a fun surprise among the various idol shows I had tried at the time, and its blend of humor and melodrama was just right to stick with me. Unfortunately the follow-up opens by bloating the cast, and it never quite hits the comedy highs of the previous season. They also kind of vaguely resolve an antagonistic relationship that was behind the main drama of s1, completely undercutting the delicious melodrama that had been a big part of the appeal. The series in general was never much of a looker but this season didn't raise the bar any either.

3. No Guns Life - I got tricked by this one having an awesome premiere/ep2 and OP/ED. Over the next few episodes the show veered away from Juuzo as protagonist, instead focusing on the painfully bland Tetsuro as he shonenly shonens up the place with dramatic battle speeches about autonomy or whatever bullshit. I came to the show expecting cyberpunk noir with occasional bouts of goofiness and did not feel like that was delivered on at all. Entirely possible that there are later arcs more in my wheelhouse but so long as Tetsuro is around and, on occasion, warping the show into a different (or perhaps the intended but previously hidden) genre it's not worth wading through.

Dishonorable mention to Promare because man did I let that get overhyped for me. Next time I won't wait for second-run screenings of a movie.

Avoided:
Isekai Quartet is the only vote I have for this. Of course I know all anime is just advertisements but this sort of Avengers-type poo poo just seems like the worst of it to me. Probably doesn't help that like half the shows they include are poo poo in their own right.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Usually I tend to avoid shows I don't like but I did finish 2 which I didn't like for different reasons

1) Cinderella Nine: I actually like the story but the animation was just so bad that the show just suffered as a result. Given a decent production this could have been a pleasant show but everything about it's visuals was just so very meh

2) Didn't I say make my Abilities Average: I like the light novel, it has a few small issues but it's a pretty fun and silly isekai series. The anime itself though add a bunch of awful anime original stuff (1st episode and Hunter school finale) and stuff it adapted it adapted in the worst way possible as if the shows creators just hated the source. I only kept watching just to see how much more it did the source.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Worst of 2019
1. Choyoyu: Reprehensible
2. Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki: Boring and pointless
3. Isekai Cheat Magician: Bad characters, boring

Dishonorable mention: Index 3: Gave up on everything that I vaguely liked about raildex - absurd superpowers and conflicts between same, with fascinating and complex interactions between them - in favor of a rushed and mechanical grind through major plotpoints. Almost impossible to understand what was happening on screen and why without additional information being provided by novel readers.

Watched one episode and turned off in disgust:
Rifle is Beautiful: Saccharine overdose.
Granbelm: A lot of people seemed to love this show. I was in no mood to watch a magical robot show when it was airing, so watched one episode and turned it off forever.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 29, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's easy. My worst anime of 2019 is the one you liked the most.

You know the one. Yeah, that one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Oh, that's easy. My worst anime of 2019 is the one you liked the most.

You know the one. Yeah, that one.

History will prove that Mars of Destruction was one of the most brilliant existential meditations on the human condition ever made. But I suppose it's not my fault if it's too deep for the common anime fan, content with the cheap thrills and surface level plots of your "Evangelion"s and your "Lain"s.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i didnt watch much anime from this year and i disliked even less of it but VIRTUALSAN - LOOKING was disappointing no matter how low you set those expectations. sad to see.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Wataten is on that list, is there really any question here

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Worst of the Year (That I Actually Tried Watching)

3. Cautious Hero
I went into this show with high expectations, the reason being is because I am that kind of player! I'm the guy who refuses to use potions in case I need them later, only to end the game with a million unused consumables. The guy who plays on the hardest difficulty from the get-go no matter how many times it forces me to restart. The guy who plans out his party's build well in advance even if it's completely unnecessary. I was totally on board with a show about an overpowered protagonist who ends up treating each fight as though it were the fight of his life by virtue of self-induced paranoia. What if the enemy has prepared traps!? What if the demon king has hidden abilities!? Is this truly his final form!? That could have been entertaining. Instead, what I got was the standard isekai protagonist with cheat abilities that let him win effortlessly, except instead this time his cheat ability is "having already thought about the exact means his enemy intends to deal with him". Episode 4 was the laziest, most poorly-written excuse for a fight I've seen in a long time and I dropped the show there.

2. Magical Senpai
Y'know, I was actually kind of enjoying this show. Sure, the gags basically came down to "Haha, look at this girl try to perform a magic trick and fail! Laugh at her! Laugh as she screws it up (and shows off her huge boobs and panties in the process)!" But at least some of those gags were genuinely well-delivered enough to elicit a chuckle. Then the little sister character shows up so she can sexually drool over her morbidly obese brother and compare breast sizes with the magician girl and so on and I NOPE'D out of there fast enough to give silver-age Superman spinning the Earth in the opposite direction a run for his money.

1. Magical Spec Ops Asuka
One day, we will get a grounded, realistic take on a magical girl war story that is compelling in its own right. Until then, we'll get knock-off Madoka clones that not only try their hardest to be derivative as possible while simultaneously missing the thematic point (impressive, really) delivered through poorly animated torture-porn aimed at fat, horny, 30-year-old men who delight in seeing a genre overwhelmingly aimed at young girls corrupted into grisly universes where everything that can go wrong does go wrong for no other reason than the author felt like it at that moment. I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed.

Most Avoided:

3. Why The Hell Are You Here, Teacher!?
Standard perv show censored to hell, defeating the (already-lowly) point.

2. W'z
Did you want a sequel to Handshakers, a show that was so disastrously animated that it gave me an actual headache when I tried to watch it? No? Well here you go anyways.

1. Kemono Friends 2
"So, you know that guy we hired to make an anime tie-in to a mobile game that was such a flop it got shut down before the anime even aired? You know, the guy whose passion and love for the project infused a poorly animated 3D cash-in with such charm that it became one of the biggest hits of 2017? The same guy who delivered more content to fans, for free, on his own time? Well, let's fire him for daring to bring happiness to the people of the world free of charge and keep interest in our dying franchise. Then, get this, when the plebeian consumerists get angry at us for our transparently-selfish decision, let's force the voice actors of the show to apologize for his dismissal even though they had nothing to do with it! And hey! Let's continue this franchise without him, giving it all of the charm of an alien parasite walking around in the skin-bodysuits of your dear friends. How hard can it be?"

Yea, when I avoid shows I usually do so because they are bad. Kemono Friends 2 was the rare case of avoiding a show out of principle.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 28, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sticky this thread, wark!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its Fairy Gone OP

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
shield hero for inflicting discourse on this poor forum

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Kemono Friends s2 spit on Kemono Friends s1 in a way that actually upset me. And I'm not talking about the production, even if that's the biggest thing anyone ever talks about. Making Kaban go FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH SERVAL, NOW KYURURU IS MY BEST FRIEND. Tiger dies after saving the day and nobody does anything. Domestic Dog's story ends just as tragically as the one in Futurama as far as I'm concerned.

What a worst, no good, most terrible anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Granbelm might not be the worst show of its season, but it sure knows how to make a bad first impression. First off, we get a girl with short pink hair who just wants to be helpful with secret magic potential paired with an aloof and mysterious black haired veteran as she's tossed into a world of magic, and gee, never seen that before.

imo this is important for setting the show up as what it is, a response to one of the most influential magical girl anime of all time

kannazuki no miko

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Definitely Cop Craft It just sort of melted in place. Went ~beyond jiggly~

DisDisDis posted:

whatever anime you, the reader, enjoyed

:argh:

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
Worst I watched

Circlet Princess
Badly designed, badly animated, boring as hell gacha game advertisement. Not even a twin-tailed anime girl voiced by Vegata could save it.

Kandagawa Jet Girls
This kinda feels like Keijo, without Keijo's balls to the wall audacity. Zero chemistry between the main characters, badly animated CGI race scenes, and just all round uninspired.

Pastel Memories
Another gacha game advertisement that was nothing but fanservice in every sense of the word. It had elements of an entertaining trainwreck, some sign it could be classed as "Crap, but made with heart", but underneath it all was just something incredibly cynical. It also had a cast that was waaay too large for the plot to support, presumably trying to get those seiyuu fan $$$'s. It had an amazing ED though, and a show with that sort of tone and sense of fun would be cool to see.

Dishonourable mentions

Isekai Quartet
It spent too much of its very short run time on explaining its premise, and didn't really make the best of putting the casts together. Saved by having enough fun moments to keep me watching.

How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
Fetish based humour + middle schoolers is a bad combination, and only avoided getting on the list because it still managed to make me laugh. Then feel bad about it.

Magical Sempai / Tejina Senpai
I'm fine with wacky fanservice hijinks, but there was something that felt more than a little mean-spirited about this show.

Most Avoided

Kemono Friends 2
After the firing of the team that made the first season so great, and so much dodgy stuff coming out about Kadokawa (Stolen work, exploiting minors, suspected casting couch stuff, and even links to the yakuza) I wasn't going to touch it with a barge pole, but it sounds like the sequel was specifically designed to poo poo on fans of the first season.

Hensuki
Before the anime was announced, the drama CD and light novel were being heavily pushed on a lot of seiyuu radio shows, and I'd already figured it was the worst kind of light novel otaku bait.

Shield Hero
Isekai played straight is an instant skip for me anyway, but what others had said about it turned me right off of it.

Greblin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Greblin posted:

Sword Art Online: Alicization
Why the hell is this series popular again?
It has a very summer-blockbuster-like execution and it also had that "Right time at the right place" thing going on in the early 2010's.

Like I feel that one of the most recent posts in the SAO thread put it pretty well...

Shaffness posted:

God damnit, Saturday was my favorite night of the week. I'd put my kid to bed and my wife would fall asleep, then I'd get blazed out of my mind and watch an old episode of the league and finish off with SAO. What the hell am I supposed to do until April.
That tells you almost everything you need to know about SAO.

Plus, while some of the things it does it kinda half-asses, it also presents some neat ideas.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
SAO had a very well executed first episode that tricked you into thinking it wouldn't be a meandering mess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shield Hero has bad politics and that's probably the most icky, egregious show this year.

Why Ate You Here Teacher is probably the horniest.

I can't think of anything else that was clearly gross or transgressive so good year all in all?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Plus, while some of the things it does it kinda half-asses, it also presents some neat ideas.

It sometimes hits some effective emotional beats and puts some actual thought into the implications of what's going on. You can call the setup of the original NerveGear trap contrived, but it at least gave consideration to the logistics for how a bunch of VRMMO players could be stuck in a game for an extended period of time without necessarily dying due to real-world issues (and IIRC acknowledged that some died because they weren't found before the grace period allowing for transport to hospitals expired) and why they might be "stuck." The recent bit about all the SAO survivors being on permanent police watchlists because some of them were murderers but the police had no way of knowing who was another example of "oh yeah, that would make sense" attention to detail that most shows would just ignore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sao has soem really good characters and some great ideas even if the execution can be hit or miss. fairy dance is a bad arc but the rest of it is mediocre at worst with moments of legitimate greatness. idk why people get so mad about it

and yeah i love all the details about the sao survivors. being on permanent police watch, monthly psych checkups, some public backlash against them, etc. they're all great details.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Greblin posted:

Isekai Quartet
It spent too much of its very short run time on explaining its premise, and didn't really make the best of putting the casts together. Saved by having enough fun moments to keep me watching.

The fewer shows that were included in Isekai Quartet, the better it would have been. They never really explored Re:Zero, and the Youjo Senki crew was mostly mob characters, largely characterized by their terror at that series's main character. Overlord vs. Konosuba would have been more than enough, with Kazuma empathizing with Ainz while Aqua tried to exorcise him.

Of course, it would have been better still if it had just been a new series of Konosuba, perhaps even as a "What if" arc if Kazuma and the team had been transported to modern-day Japan, but despite having enjoyed all of its component shows, the aggregate was just a mess.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
all the 3d animated netflix shows

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

The fewer shows that were included in Isekai Quartet, the better it would have been. They never really explored Re:Zero, and the Youjo Senki crew was mostly mob characters, largely characterized by their terror at that series's main character. Overlord vs. Konosuba would have been more than enough, with Kazuma empathizing with Ainz while Aqua tried to exorcise him.

Of course, it would have been better still if it had just been a new series of Konosuba, perhaps even as a "What if" arc if Kazuma and the team had been transported to modern-day Japan, but despite having enjoyed all of its component shows, the aggregate was just a mess.
otoh.....quartet

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Shield Hero has bad politics and that's probably the most icky, egregious show this year.

Why Ate You Here Teacher is probably the horniest.

I can't think of anything else that was clearly gross or transgressive so good year all in all?

You forgot Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Silver2195 posted:

You forgot Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me.

:barf:

I'm glad I didnt know about it until now.