Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We hate each other. It's because of christianinanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

White people don't tend to like their families or friends and have mountains of inexplicable anxiety hth

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The real white man's burden.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
as a white american man living in a rural area, i would rather blast my balls off with a shotgun then ever use my actual voice

edit: this is why i dont have a cell phone. i have a land line, and let people leave messages on the answering machine, which I listen to and then write them a letter in reply using the good ole USPS like God intended

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2019

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hibbloes posted:

And the telepathic white racists heart racism field grew ten sizes that day

I assume that your phone autocompleted this without you noticing, but I went ahead and corrected it for you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

white privilege must be why nobody calls me

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
My white european ancestors were almost certainly barbary slaves taken by the ottoman empire (one of the longest lasting, expansive and colonial empires in history btw), so ya know it's okay if I'm a little insensitive to bleeding edge social attitudes wait this is about phones.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

sticksy posted:

Whites love to FaceTime in public places for no goddamn reason.

This is actually every race. Being inconsiderate of others in a public space is one thing that unites us all.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Saint Drogo posted:

white people are ahead of the curve realizing that phone calls loving suck. you're getting the worst parts of both texting and real conversation.

It's this. Phone calls still get the "gotta tell you something right now" type of use but otherwise the phone system is so retarded and hosed up that even telecom companies have given up on maintaining or upgrading their functionality lol

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Why on earth would I call someone on the phone like some kind of animal when I can just go and talk to them?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
it probably has something to do with the neanderthals that our white ancestors interbred with. the neanderthal famously hated talking on the phone

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Yakub forbade it.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real emergency number is 912.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

White people don't really talk on the phone very much, compared to other ethnicities. Are white people have poor interpersonal skills? Or do they just not have anything to talk about? Do they text more? Anyone else notice this?

Racists/bigots/Nazis will have a personal phone call with the mafarkin BANHAMMER, don't say I didn't warn you.

what i notice is posts from peers about how phone calls are just terrible, the worst, like a rude person ringing the doorbell and shouting at your house for attention... contrast with the elegant text message, like a butler delivering a note (sitting delicately upon a doilied plate) that someone has called and desires the privilege of one's attention, to be acknowledged at leisure and in deference to one's immediate pursuits.

no poo poo i seriously saw the butler analogy posted online

and yes, they were white, OP. white as all hell. almost as white as my fat pasty rear end

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what i notice is posts from peers about how phone calls are just terrible, the worst, like a rude person ringing the doorbell and shouting at your house for attention... contrast with the elegant text message, like a butler delivering a note (sitting delicately upon a doilied plate) that someone has called and desires the privilege of one's attention, to be acknowledged at leisure and in deference to one's immediate pursuits.

and yes, they were white, OP. white as all hell. almost as white as my fat pasty rear end

Texts are even worse because not only do you have to actively ignore them, you gotta come up with a new excuse every time for why you didn't ping them back later.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

This is definitely a thing, although I've heard the same (well, the same basic idea, without the butler poo poo) from black and Asian friends so I'm not sure it's a specifically white thing?

I wonder if there's more of a "don't be on the phone in public" stigma in white culture. When I do have lengthy phone conversations I will absolutely never do it outside. If someone calls me and I'm out, I either don't answer and text that I'll call them later, or if it's something practical I'll make it as focused and quick as I can.

The other thing that makes me use calls less is the sharp spike in junk calls (recordings, fake tax warnings, etc). I get about 5-10 a day, so combined with declining phone use for social purposes any given call has about a 1% chance of being real, and at this point if I'm not next to my phone I don't even look to see the number when it rings. Pretty sure that people who know me have figured out that you basically need to text first and let me know to expect a real call.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

We tend to use The Something Awful Forms when we need to talk about real important stuff.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's because we have nothing worth saying, OP

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We think that we can’t talk on the phone because the internet will disconnect if we do

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

White people don't really talk on the phone very much, compared to other ethnicities. Are white people have poor interpersonal skills? Or do they just not have anything to talk about? Do they text more? Anyone else notice this?

Racists/bigots/Nazis will have a personal phone call with the mafarkin BANHAMMER, don't say I didn't warn you.

Ban yourself for racism/bigotry OP, seeing as you’ve attributed behaviors to an entire group of people based upon anecdotal evidence from a few members of that group.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

White people

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

*audience laughs*

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hi i’d like to officially change my race from white to one of the cool ones, what do i need to do?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
IF FEMALE: creating and curating an immaculate social media footprint, texting friends about plans or previous night, or just avoiding eye contact

IF MALE: checking sports scores and/or professional related media, or just avoiding eye contact

IF HORNY; BOTH, checking social media for positive feedback

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m a white people

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I’ve seen this analogy and I’m mixed on it. On one hand I agree that a text/im/email is a considerate way to get in touch with someone without demanding immediate acknowledgement. On the other hand it does feel like it encourages everyone to be flaky/noncommittal and probably contributes to overall social anxiety cause we’re always putting things off for frankly dumb reasons and it really could have all been resolved right away with a short conversation in real time.

Ultimately what a lot of people feel is considerate to them is just being given the convenience of being inconsiderate to others.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

I see you've never met my mother, OP.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Salem Saberhagen posted:

Yakub forbade it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nobody talks on the phone this aint the 90s grandpa

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Im white and boy howdy do i love salads. Why we love salads so much??

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
I literally sent a text message re: salad yesterday

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

Im white and boy howdy do i love salads. Why we love salads so much??

idk but sweetgreen is the poo poo

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't long ago when there was a post on these very forums about a man who ran out of toilet paper and texted his wife in the other room to bring more. I don't think skin color was mentioned but, you know

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My indian coworkers seem to spend every minute they aren't working calling home. Like, 10 times a day, every day. What are you calling home for so much? Why do you need ten 30 minute calls to home every day? What could you possibly be talking about.

Even one of the indian doctors got in trouble for it, because he was constantly holding up surgeries while he was out in the hallway talking on the phone.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Saint Drogo posted:

white people are ahead of the curve realizing that phone calls loving suck. you're getting the worst parts of both texting and real conversation.

It's definitely this. When I'm having a long conversation, I like to see the person I'm talking to, as eye contact and body language make the conversation better and easier.

Also I found that people that talk on the phone everyday always talk about boring inane stuff, like what you'd see posted of Facebook. I know this because I'm a nosy POS that listens to conversations not meant for me

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It doesn't help either that despite how far we've come with mobile tech, the actual audio quality of a call is the worst it's ever been in the last 50 years.

This call is great! What's that? You're in the next building over? That must explain why it sounds like you're calling from Mars, with the airlock open.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Are Jews white still? I'm a little hazy on where I stand these days and I don't want to try and contribute until that's cleared up

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
That's some edgy poo poo, OP. Congrats on tapping a new vein of comedy gold.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pudding Space posted:

That's some edgy poo poo, OP. Congrats on tapping a new vein of comedy gold.

Now that's what I'm talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hivemind. Its cool to say that about white people right?