Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Oxxidation posted:

aerith in remake knows her own future/the plot of the original game, it’s a key element of the character

She knows her death will be remembered by everyone in the audience. But, first as tragedy then as farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The amount of stuff they are showing in this preview is nutso

edit:
me watching the preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 7, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I wish I had the willpower to not watch that state of play and I hope they stop showing stuff off now because I will continue to lack that willpower frankly. Game looks loving good though and I suspect there's fuckloads of cool poo poo they aren't showing of course.

Doesn't sound like the demo has any continuation into the actual game though or they'd probably have said that right?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did Aerith whip out some sunglasses in that first combo with Barret?

Edit: yes, she does lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Azubah posted:

Did Aerith whip out some sunglasses in that first combo with Barret?

Edit: yes, she does lol

lmao that owns.

And I just realized that I should unbookmark this thread to prevent more spoilage.

See you all in a couple months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I wish I had the willpower to not watch that state of play and I hope they stop showing stuff off now because I will continue to lack that willpower frankly. Game looks loving good though and I suspect there's fuckloads of cool poo poo they aren't showing of course.

Doesn't sound like the demo has any continuation into the actual game though or they'd probably have said that right?

It lets you skip the segment in the demo in the full game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

was that loving cissnei?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cock hero flux posted:

was that loving cissnei?

I think so!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New thread is up, just so you stragglers know

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053680

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I was going to try and hold out for the PC port but I think I am going to cave...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm betting this is how Zack seeing Cloud again will go. Roche will interrupt it to get his third rematch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EdMNYwhIBM&t=74s

Also the solution this game is building up towards is using Sleep on Sephiroth so he actually calms the hell down because he spent 6 days going crazy while reading all those research notes in the Nibelheim basement

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'm betting this is how Zack seeing Cloud again will go. Roche will interrupt it to get his third rematch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EdMNYwhIBM&t=74s

Also the solution this game is building up towards is using Sleep on Sephiroth so he actually calms the hell down because he spent 6 days going crazy while reading all those research notes in the Nibelheim basement

The solution is for him and Cloud to go on a date.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's your solution for everything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Building up relationship points by doing the grinding the motorbike minigame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

That's your solution for everything.

He's like a puppy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Roche date?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The solution is for him and Cloud to go on a date.

McTimmy posted:

Roche date?!

This scene again but it's Sephiroth and Roche

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I love what the demo does with Sephiroth's character pre-going crazypants. Just bantering up Mount Nibel with your weird friend who doesn't know how to socialize

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dunno if we’re tagging stuff from the demo but lol @ Aerith and Tifa calling Cloud an rear end in a top hat in unison if you say you went through Tifa’s stuff

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There is a rebirth thread now fyi.

(Probably silly to have two but sure)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So is anyone who watched the demo/trailer/preview video thing not going to buy the game now? There's always a bunch of griping over trailers spoiling everything so I wonder if it actually worked this time or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I don't think anything plotwise is what people are talking about, but there are moments in the trailer that would have been way more fun to see unspoiled.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Even just small things like seeing Red in a shinra uniform standing on his hind legs dancing I would have rather be surprised in game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey everyone, how good is your self restraint?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvAXJ0WqWU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RareAcumen posted:

N…not very good!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvAXJ0WqWU

I don't understand, do you mean from not playing the demo, or from not watching a video of someone talking about playing the demo? Why not just play the demo?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RC Cola posted:

I don't understand, do you mean from not playing the demo, or from not watching a video of someone talking about playing the demo? Why not just play the demo?

I played the demo and wish I hadn’t, it’s torture

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Finally playing the demo and laughed out loud at the line "I gotta get out of this one chocobo town!" never change SE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Voidburger and Chip asked an interesting question I've never thought about. "Why does nobody spoil the Cloud stuff like they do Aerith dying"? We all know the meme. It was fun to just shout about Aerith dying.

But it feels like the answer to the Cloud spoiler question is, at least to me, "because it's way too complicated." I mean, you can easily blurt out "Sephiroth kills Aerith!" What is one tiny sentence that sums up Cloud's poo poo? You can't. "Cloud isn't actually a SOLDIER!"? "Cloud was a Sephiroth clone!"? I dunno, those just feel like they are begging for explanations and don't pack the same, obvious punch that saying someone dies does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So Voidburger and Chip asked an interesting question I've never thought about. "Why does nobody spoil the Cloud stuff like they do Aerith dying"? We all know the meme. It was fun to just shout about Aerith dying.

But it feels like the answer to the Cloud spoiler question is, at least to me, "because it's way too complicated." I mean, you can easily blurt out "Sephiroth kills Aerith!" What is one tiny sentence that sums up Cloud's poo poo? You can't. "Cloud isn't actually a SOLDIER!"? "Cloud was a Sephiroth clone!"? I dunno, those just feel like they are begging for explanations and don't pack the same, obvious punch that saying someone dies does.

I think it's not hard to spoil ("Cloud was lying about his identity") and more that it lacks the punch because it's a part of the character's story rather than the end. Knowing it doesn't really change anything except you realize Cloud's poo poo earlier, whereas Aerith dying is sudden and shocking. Cloud being a hosed up little man with brain issues isn't a surprise, it is just the degree to which it is a surprise that is relevant.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's not hard to spoil ("Cloud was lying about his identity") and more that it lacks the punch because it's a part of the character's story rather than the end.

that wouldn't work because the game deliberately fakes the player out about what cloud's whole deal is beyond the fact that his story isn't right
"cloud was lying" makes the north crater version seem true but that one is actually even more wrong than the first one because in that version he wasn't there at all. Also it's debatable whether he even is lying since he seems to genuinely believe it at the time to the point of having a total meltdown when sephiroth gaslights him about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

that wouldn't work because the game deliberately fakes the player out about what cloud's whole deal is beyond the fact that his story isn't right
"cloud was lying" makes the north crater version seem true but that one is actually even more wrong than the first one because in that version he wasn't there at all. Also it's debatable whether he even is lying since he seems to genuinely believe it at the time to the point of having a total meltdown when sephiroth gaslights him about it

Right, the game fakes the player out, but he's having weird flashes as early as the first reactor. You know from early on something is weird with him and it gradually drops more and more details until it all goes to poo poo, but it isn't really sudden. Even the Nibelheim flashback ends with "and, uh, then somehow I didn't die" which is a big neon green 'wait what' icon. If you've played FF7 for any given amount of time you know something is weird with Cloud.

Without knowing it happens, "the female lead/love interest with the magic widget who is the last of her species gets loving ganked about a third through the game" is a sudden, shocking and unexpected spoiler. Even Rebirth's 'will she or won't she' thing is a different kind of spoiler because either she survives (and poo poo goes craaaaazy) or she dies again (and the tension of her potential survival leads to a shocking disappointment.) You know something is coming, you just don't know what.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the reason people don’t spoil it is because it’s really well executed and fans want people to experience that moment themselves (and also yeah its just a tad less dramatic than Aerith dying).

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Is there some sort of trick to learning Enemy Skills besides just having the materia equipped and getting hit with the attacks? I've been hit with both Self-Destruct and Bad Breath multiple times while the affected character has the materia equipped and never learned either. Getting back to the Malboro fight was enough of a pain in the rear end the first time around. Somehow I did manage to learn the other two; I don't know what I did differently.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
pretty sure that's all there is to it, just have to survive the attack and they should learn it so not sure what's going wrong there unless it's somehow missing that character?

e: for some reason assumed you were talking about the original game, in the remake there's a rng element added to learning those skills so you're just getting crappy luck

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Yeah, I think that was it. I tried the Legendary Monsters challenge a few more times and managed to get the missing ones. Guess it was just down to random chance.