Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«255 »
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

That moment of self-loathing when you realize that the final enemy of the chapter, the one you played the whole chapter to get to since you hadn't assessed it yet, that you killed that enemy and forgot to assess it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004
stay out of yospos, bithc

anakha posted:

That moment of self-loathing when you realize that the final enemy of the chapter, the one you played the whole chapter to get to since you hadn't assessed it yet, that you killed that enemy and forgot to assess it.

Same, but the secret boss in the hard mode shinra VR after dying a million times to the boss before it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I got killed by that thing the first time. It's an easy boss but it can also completely gently caress you if it kills someone and then gets someone else in a grab. One more cheap stun and you lose

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004
stay out of yospos, bithc

DeathChicken posted:

I got killed by that thing the first time. It's an easy boss but it can also completely gently caress you if it kills someone and then gets someone else in a grab. One more cheap stun and you lose

The boss before it was way harder for me. Just a pain in the neck to finish off without getting smashed seeing as I didnt have any levelled hp up materia to tank the ultimate attack.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I'm not quite at that fight yet, but the simulation fights are quite satisfying, even when I've lost the Hard mode fights, it's usually been near the end and didn't feel cheap. Replaying them and linking elemental materia in armour does feel a bit cheap though. Negating thunder in the solo fights makes it a breeze, and thunder spells are also very deadly to some of the opponents at the same time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really, really, really do not want to finish this game I had gotten to Chapter 14 and started some sidequests... I was very disappointed in how far I had to go in the quest of mastering all the Magic Materia; if I'd known I had to do that I certainly would have insisted on always keeping Raise equipped... I also didn't use assess nearly as much as I should have, even though I used it a fair bit and always kept it equipped I'd often just forget to use it for at least half of the battles I was in.

This always happens when I find an RPG (or any game, really) that I seriously and sincerely enjoy playing. I just don't want it to end. Like, I know that Hard Mode exists and you can replay all the chapters in any order you want after finishing the last chapter, but it's more like I don't want to find out how it all ends and have the experience be officially and completely over. And with this game, I was playing like an idiot and missed tons of stuff the first time I played up through Chapter 8, and then in my current playthrough I only really started to get a handle on everything by the time I did get to Chapter 14, and then I had another list of things I wish I had done differently. Gonna try and resist the urge to restart again because there is Hard Mode but... I really don't want to enter Shinra HQ and know that it's the beginning of the end...

Probably gonna be at least 18 months before we even get word of a release date for the next game, and at the pace they're going I expect that the Nibelheim flashback sequence will be extended into a full 40-hour game!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I really don't think you're expected to complete the "master all magic materia" quest on your first playthrough. There's a reason that after you beat the game, you get triple AP from all fights (you don't even have to select hard mode) and double XP.

I get not wanting to have the story end, but I encourage you to not burn out before getting to Hard Mode. Hard Mode is very fun, and the fights end up feeling quite different than they did in Normal. By the same token, I would not advise grinding all the materia out and leveling up a ton in Normal, because Hard Mode seems designed to pick up right where Normal mode ended, difficulty-wise, so you'll spoil some of the fun and challenge if you overlevel.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I really don't think you're expected to complete the "master all magic materia" quest on your first playthrough. There's a reason that after you beat the game, you get triple AP from all fights (you don't even have to select hard mode) and double XP.

I get not wanting to have the story end, but I encourage you to not burn out before getting to Hard Mode. Hard Mode is very fun, and the fights end up feeling quite different than they did in Normal. By the same token, I would not advise grinding all the materia out and leveling up a ton in Normal, because Hard Mode seems designed to pick up right where Normal mode ended, difficulty-wise, so you'll spoil some of the fun and challenge if you overlevel.

Ahh.. I was thinking all of those goddamn reasearch missions from Chadley, it was like incumbent upon us to finish them by the end of the Normal Playthrough becayse there'd be a new set of them in Hard Mode, or something. Good to know that's not the case!

But still, it's more the compulsion that I really don't want the first enjoyable gaming experience I've had at least since I played Breath of the Wild 3+ years ago to be over. With endgame stuff liken Hard Mode, I usually can only get into it so much.. Ah well, I'm just gonna go for it...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

lEt'S mOsEy

If it helps you've still got about 4-6 hours of game left if you haven't started the ascent to Shinra HQ yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy I'm really looking forward to seeing how they redo the Limit Breaks in the next games.

«255 »