Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bleck posted:

the voices in FFVIIR are so good because they're actual actors instead of half-rear end randos pulled from the weird cult that's completely monopolized English dubs of Japanese media in North America

Aerith is one of the best in it and she was primarily known for being a Twitch streamer before landing the role

(Her playthrough of FF7R is great, just watch the archive and skip the hours of thanking subs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FFVII Reduce
FFVII Reuse
FFVII Recycle

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Elentor posted:

I would not be surprised if FF7R2 is gonna be called FF7 Rebuild instead of FF7 Remake Part 2
FF7 Reimagine
FF7 Divergence

I will be very mad if it's called FF7 Memento.

Presumably FF7 Reunion has to be in there somewhere

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Considering what happens at north craters first visit I would guess that Reunion is next.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BrightWing posted:

Considering what happens at north craters first visit I would guess that Reunion is next.

Lol that you think we're getting anyway close to the northern crater in the next game

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

God I just realised the distinct possibility that the next game is just gonna be up until like the fuckin cargo ship to Costa del Sol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

God I just realised the distinct possibility that the next game is just gonna be up until like the fuckin cargo ship to Costa del Sol

Eh, I'd say Nibelheim would be a better stopping point.

Open with the flashback sequence, then end with the :wtc: when you get there and everything is just peachy please stop asking questions.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FF7 Reunion

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like once you get into the open world, there's a bit more leeway there to take things a bit quicker. Midgar despite being short is pretty dense with character introductions and worldbuilding and pretty much no place you go to after aside from the Golden Saucer and Wutai is quite as big.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BisbyWorl posted:

Eh, I'd say Nibelheim would be a better stopping point.

Open with the flashback sequence, then end with the :wtc: when you get there and everything is just peachy please stop asking questions.

The natural stopping point is probably the northern crater, if they plan for three games. Lowest point of the story emotionally, you get to spend more time with Aerith and then immediately experience the loss of her and have to cope with that during the game.

If you go with, say, Aerith dying, the pacing for next game would be incredibly hosed up and you lose the immediate emotional impact of dealing with her death in game. If you stopped at the Temple of the Ancients you'd have no actual playtime as her before she's dead in the game she dies in.

Of course, this assumes she dies, which is no longer a given! If she lives, after the Temple of the Ancients would be a good, but depressing, stopping point.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'd definitely open up part 2 immediately with the flashback sequence with Cloud and Sephiroth as a guest character. Gameplay wise it's a logical starting point since you might not be used to the battle system at this point.

Rest, no idea.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Strobe posted:

FF7 Relearn

2Final 2Fantasy 2VII

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Given that there were four moments that the game opened up for sidequsts with varying amounts of plot moving the story along in between, if the next game follows a similar structure (which isn't at all guaranteed given how different Midgar is from the rest of the game) that may serve as a rough estimation of how much the game will cover length wise.

Under that metric though, it becomes very apparent how much the game covers in between Kalm and either Nibelheim, Temple of the Ancients, or Northern Crater depending on where you think the next game might end and limiting yourself to picking just four spots for sidequests is really hard.

Like Junon, Costa Del Sol, and Gold Saucer are all prime candidates to have all of them made larger, but then that leaves only one location spread across Kalm, Chocobo Farm, Corel, Corel Prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon to have sidequests.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Nomura explicitly talked about in interviews that the discussion is between "more content in each game, but longer times between releases" and "Less, but shorter release dates" So really it depends on how much you wanna wait between games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Aerith's death would be a good stopping point, as it's a solid emotional climax. But it does really depend on how much they expand the world after Midgar. They pretty much had to with part one to keep everything within Midgar, but if they do the same going forward then they're committing to about 500 hours of play time over ten full size games, so something has to give there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Onmi posted:

Nomura explicitly talked about in interviews that the discussion is between "more content in each game, but longer times between releases" and "Less, but shorter release dates" So really it depends on how much you wanna wait between games.

Personally I'd prefer smaller episodic sized games after this one

A new episode every year would be neat

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I am just eager to see how they scale power levels between releases. FF7R did a good job but all your materia is maxed once you've gone through hard mode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

Like Junon, Costa Del Sol, and Gold Saucer are all prime candidates to have all of them made larger, but then that leaves only one location spread across Kalm, Chocobo Farm, Corel, Corel Prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon to have sidequests.

Wutai and Corel Prison seem like good places for sidequests.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

f#a# posted:

I am just eager to see how they scale power levels between releases. FF7R did a good job but all your materia is maxed once you've gone through hard mode.

Yuffie steals all your materia.

Except she does it at the start every sequel lol.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I just discovered that the new song "Hollow" in this game just takes the music directly from the old folk song The Wayfaring Stranger. The Johnny Cash version came on and I was like, "wait, I know this song."

As for how to split the game(s) up, I feel like they should really be driven by the plot more than considerations like "faster but smaller, or slower but bigger". For a game to "feel" like a satisfying game, it still needs the typical story structure of acts, with rising action and a logical climax. The climax of Remake already felt a bit forced its scope even when it was a pretty logical climax point, so if they have to keep artificially shoehorning in rising action and climaxes into a bunch of shorter games, it's going to hurt the overall narrative and story structure.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

Wutai and Corel Prison seem like good places for sidequests.

Speaking of Wutai, I wonder if they're gonna streamline it and include it in the main story. The fact that Wutai got some mentions in part 1 might be in preparation for this.
I almost want it to stay a thing that you can get yourself into whenever you want rather than a forced story thing, like don't make something too streamlined for part 2 and give the player some freedom to mirror the original.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yuffie is 100% going to be a mandatory character so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to NOT do Wutai.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I thought it was really cool how Remake paid homage to getting different outcomes during the Wall Market section while still making it story related so I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle Wutai.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really hope Yuffie fell for the Shinra propaganda and honestly thinks the party is working with Wutai.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Do you think we'll have the entirety of the main cast (including Vincent and Yuffie) assembled by the end of part 2?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
FF7R2 ends with a Cloud migraine vision of Sephiroth saying that 8 seconds line again.

FF7R3 starts with the actual event and it goes differently based on a sidequest you did halfway through 2

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Do you think we'll have the entirety of the main cast (including Vincent and Yuffie) assembled by the end of part 2?

Without question, unless they chunk this game into a ridiculous amount of parts. I'm of the opinion that part 2 will end with the reveal of Meteor in the sky. I think that'd be an amazing cliffhanger, even moreso than Aerith dying.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think part 2 has three potential ending spots. Nibelheim to narratively match the opening flashback, Aerith's death for obvious reasons, or the reveal of meteor after failing at the northern crater. Personally, I think there's just too much game to include in terms of set pieces and world expansion to go much further than Nibelheim but it'd be amazing if they did manage to pull all the way to the end of disc 1.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Final Fantasy VII 2: You can (not) Junction

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It has just occurred to me that the arc of FF7R is Cloud's journey from edgelord to himbo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cavelcade posted:

The natural stopping point is probably the northern crater, if they plan for three games. Lowest point of the story emotionally, you get to spend more time with Aerith and then immediately experience the loss of her and have to cope with that during the game.

If you go with, say, Aerith dying, the pacing for next game would be incredibly hosed up and you lose the immediate emotional impact of dealing with her death in game. If you stopped at the Temple of the Ancients you'd have no actual playtime as her before she's dead in the game she dies in.

Of course, this assumes she dies, which is no longer a given! If she lives, after the Temple of the Ancients would be a good, but depressing, stopping point.

:hmmyes:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

There is absolutely no way they stay optional in this version. I would appreciate the commitment if they did though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want snowboarding with competitive ladder and seasons and it's gonna be the newest e-sports it's gonna be great guys.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I want to see if they take another crack at that wildly awful Fort Condor minigame or just axe it completely lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would laugh my rear end off if the devs just decided to make Vincent 100% skippable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WaltherFeng posted:

I'd definitely open up part 2 immediately with the flashback sequence with Cloud and Sephiroth as a guest character. Gameplay wise it's a logical starting point since you might not be used to the battle system at this point.

Rest, no idea.

Yeah. I agree with this. Tutorial Sephiroth is too good a concept to not execute.

The other option is to KH2 it and have the first 5 or so hours playing as Zack.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I want to see if they take another crack at that wildly awful Fort Condor minigame or just axe it completely lol

Fort Condor will probably be the part where they decide to explore the idea of a wider AVALANCHE organization.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually never thought of that but yeah there's basically no story or context to Fort Condor in the original huh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You have to cast X-Zone in a specific spot to get to Fort Condit now. That's how it's a secret base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Rework Fort Condor into a small-scale MGSV/Peace Walker style Mother Base management system that's going on in the background of the rest of the game with combat deployment missions you can launch anytime and they might be onto something IMO