Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Moola posted:

I was wondering why he was third class, which is the same rank as those faceless 3rd class operatives you fight later, but yeah its probably due to the team killing and general insanity

I wonder if there are any 1sts left in SOLDIER during the main story timeline?

You fight generic 1st Class SOLDIERs during the Midgar raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Moola posted:

I was wondering why he was third class, which is the same rank as those faceless 3rd class operatives you fight later, but yeah its probably due to the team killing and general insanity

I wonder if there are any 1sts left in SOLDIER during the main story timeline?

You fight them in Midgar in disk 2, but they're faceless goons with a good steal. I do wonder how the remake will treat them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

exquisite tea posted:

That's uh, not what I said.

I literally quoted what you said, which is what I said, unless I'm going crazy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We all know Roche was sipping the Mako juice in SOLDIER during the war, the question was if he was still on Shinra’s payroll or just being a general nuisance.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BisbyWorl posted:

You fight generic 1st Class SOLDIERs during the Midgar raid.

nah the enemy intel menu calls them 3-C SOLDIER Operators

e; oh you mean in the OG in disc 2?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moola posted:

nah the enemy intel menu calls them 3-C SOLDIER Operators

e; oh you mean in the OG in disc 2?

Pretty sure they mean:

https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/w_enemy.php?enemy=Soldier%3A+1st

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Remember that Third Class Soldiers are basically absurd solo fighters. They're worth a squad on their own, Second class are worth a platoon, and then First class, like Zack and Sephiroth were worth a regiment.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like Roche was probably in SOLDIER during the events of the game as a problematic but talented psycho who was regulated to guarding the plate tunnels, and then by the next time we see him in in 7.2 or whatever he'll probably have been fired or just gone AWOL due to being too horny for Cloud like the rest of Midgar.

Assuming anyone gets to leave the SOLDIER program alive after all the... "Gestures vaguely at Crisis Core"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sort of like playing Evil Genius and recruiting Red Ivan. It's good to keep him around in case you need lots of people blown up, but you have to relegate him to a broom closet until that time or else he'll destroy your base

And there's a reference only I will likely get

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Thanks to the Crisis Core retcon, Zack faces down an entire army blocking him from entering Midgar and whittles them down to only 3 dudes. And in the remake, he just mows down all of them.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose its possible that most of the army did survive and after confirming that Zack was as good as dead after a certain point they just left 3 guys to mop up. You do see a carrier helicopter leaving the scene.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 4, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DeathChicken posted:

Sort of like playing Evil Genius and recruiting Red Ivan. It's good to keep him around in case you need lots of people blown up, but you have to relegate him to a broom closet until that time or else he'll destroy your base

Jubei was bae, and Jubei plus Eli was OP.

Did you know Evil Genius 2 is coming out at the end of March?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

TheCenturion posted:

Did you know Evil Genius 2 is coming out at the end of March?

I played the poo poo out of that game as well and yeah, Red Ivan was a good red alert "oh poo poo, emergency, let him out of his closet" backup plan.

He's one of the playable main villains in the sequel, apparently he was canonically a henchman in the original where his boss succeeded and gave him his own country as a reward but now he's in the world domination game. He's also voiced by Brian Blessed now.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

Thanks to the Crisis Core retcon, Zack faces down an entire army blocking him from entering Midgar and whittles them down to only 3 dudes. And in the remake, he just mows down all of them.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose its possible that most of the army did survive and after confirming that Zack was as good as dead after a certain point they just left 3 guys to mop up. You do see a carrier helicopter leaving the scene.

I wanna hear the details about that day of the grunt trio's lives. Like the order to go get this weird 1st class coming into town, their perspective during the engagement, the debrief back at HQ where they explain they totally got him despite the rest of their company getting punched in the stomach for 99999 damage, the post retcon version where they said gently caress it and bailed in the transport chopper. Tell me about the Grunt Lyfe.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Help me flesh out this gimmick concept: Thanos Tifa. She has 6 materia slots in a maxed glove (I think? It's been a minute), and there are 6 Infinity Stones. What materia gets slotted to replicate those powers?

Time stone = Time materia, easy
Power stone = ???
Space stone = Barrier, maybe? Magnify?
Mind stone = Provoke? Subvert?
Soul stone = Revive? Prayer? Enemy Skill?
Reality stone = Another Barrier candidate? Enemy skill? Magnify?

It's dumb but my brain won't leave it alone.

Reality stone is red. A summon fits nicely.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Caidin posted:

I wanna hear the details about that day of the grunt trio's lives. Like the order to go get this weird 1st class coming into town, their perspective during the engagement, the debrief back at HQ where they explain they totally got him despite the rest of their company getting punched in the stomach for 99999 damage, the post retcon version where they said gently caress it and bailed in the transport chopper. Tell me about the Grunt Lyfe.

I mean, seeing as how good the remake is at fleshing out the background characters like Cloud's friend from the academy... you might actually get to see this lol

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I want to see more of Shinra Middle Manager

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cavelcade posted:

You fight them in Midgar in disk 2, but they're faceless goons with a good steal. I do wonder how the remake will treat them.

I get the impression that, after the mass-SOLDIER exodus during Crisis Core, the standards for who qualifies for 2nd/1st-class SOLDIERS was lowered significantly just to keep tiers populated.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The impression I kinda get is that Roche's level of weird eccentricity is a normal consequence of SOLDIER treatment and he's just particularly irritating about it. Even the 3-C SOLDIERs seem to be remarkably aggressive (though so do the shock troopers; must be amped up on combat drugs).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I want to see more of Shinra Middle Manager

:same:

I'm replaying on hard and just did the second train ride where you meet him again. Underrated character

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barret minigame where you DESTROY Shinra Middle Manager with facts and logic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jetrauben posted:

The impression I kinda get is that Roche's level of weird eccentricity is a normal consequence of SOLDIER treatment and he's just particularly irritating about it. Even the 3-C SOLDIERs seem to be remarkably aggressive (though so do the shock troopers; must be amped up on combat drugs).

I interpreted it as just how far the org. has fallen since its glory days, and now they have to put up even with that kind of poo poo because it's sort of the best they got to fit the 3-C bill.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I genuinely appreciated the attention that got paid to the more banal inner workings of Shinra, like how propagandized a lot of people were, but also how horrified they were at the dropped plate. The vast majority of them are just trying to get by working at the only game in town and are not genocidal psychopaths, which I feel was a little glossed over in the original. Arguing politics with the guy on the train and then watching his worldview crack when Avalanche behaved with humanity while Shinra endangered everyone on the train was a great moment.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reality stone is red. A summon fits nicely.

I don't know why I didn't think of that, good call

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The thing I liked was that the sector plate they dropped was the same one where you go to visit Jessie's parents, the one specifically described as being for Shinra employees. Loyal... lifers... and just as expendible as anyone else. Would have been quite neat for Heidegger or the prez to scoff that the pillar deserved to be abandoned for the indignity of suffering a full-on Avalanche HQ attack, but that's only my head-canon. Also, Roche was probably still on the plate as it fell and joyrode it all the way down.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Moola posted:

this is a weird question that probably nobody knows

but does anyone know if Square ever gave the submachine gun that the Shinra troopers use a name in universe? I can't find anything in the concept art

it's for a secret project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Does the Assess data for the enemy type say anything about their gun? If not, I would guess that your best bets would be tracking down hi-res textures from the game, but those might not exist until the PC release. Or maybe there is some kind of FF7R development and concept art book. That would almost certainly have the sort of world guide/design doc type stuff in it that would get into the Shinra troops' gear.

edit: for instance, the FF7R Ultimania has stuff like this picture, and if you could get someone to translate the Japanese, the descriptions next to all the guns might help you out

Nothing of the sort in the Material Ultimania, or at least there isn't a prop design section in the index and the enemies section just lists "machine gun" and "grenade" for Shinra security. Likewise, Rufus has big expanded section on his gun, but it's just listed as "Rufus Shinra's gun"; hell, not even the Proud Clod has milnerd exposition.

Actual model numbers in FF7 material seem to be mostly limited to transport, with the B1-α and B1-β helicopters, the Hardy-Daytona's VE4-Ge engine, the sA-27 and sA-37 kei car and truck on showcase at Shinra HQ (both powered by the 1S-Ge engine), and the PA-86. There might be something in the 2005 FF7 Ultimania Omega, since it's the source of a lot of these, but there probably isn't. If you want to make something up, you could probably do worse than assuming it was developed during or shortly after the Wutai War given that there's nothing like lots of shooting to spur research into new gun designs, take the letters in the other examples as likely descriptive (V-4 Engine, Small Automoble, Personal Automobile) and match it with MG-, and then slap in a two digit year somewhere around the 92-00 range of the war.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 4, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure someone at Square is engaged in fan communication, go send some tweets. They gave us info on how Cloud styles his hair like that for free. I'm sure 'Do the Shinra machine guns have a specific name of any kind?' Has probably been tossed around in the writer's room.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also tell me about FF7 REMAKE, I know Nomura isn't single-handedly making the game but I don't know who else is working on it because I'm bad at giving credit to people.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Caidin posted:

I would, unironically, LOVE it if the canon explanation for how Zack died originally is that he used Costly Punch too many times. Don't loving tell me they can't do it, Kingdom Hearts has a scene where the playerbase of a mobile game help you defeat a living tornado.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
A search of Zack's corpse revealed that he had 12 Elixirs, that he was "saving in case a harder fight was coming up."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He made the right choice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I needed those 12 elixers for the last boss

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

CharlestheHammer posted:

He made the right choice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea was that Zack, unlike most 1st Class SOLDIERS, was a human being and was vulnerable to being gradually worn down by overwhelming force. They threw enough at him that even if he fought near-perfect the occasional misstep would wear him down and Shinra has way way more disposable soldiers.

Zack's 'power level' is probably the hardest to lock down because he's a weird outlier. He is a dude who got to SOLDIER 1st class despite not being some hellish genetic monster and was shown to be more than capable of handling poo poo solo that even the FFVII team needed to work together on. He lost to Sephiroth but pretty much everyone did one-on-one until endgame/AC Cloud. He's somehow both one of the strongest dudes in the world and also on the bottom rung of strongest dudes in the world.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure someone at Square is engaged in fan communication, go send some tweets. They gave us info on how Cloud styles his hair like that for free. I'm sure 'Do the Shinra machine guns have a specific name of any kind?' Has probably been tossed around in the writer's room.

Who should I tweet at?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moola posted:

Who should I tweet at?

Don't come to me asking for solutions I only have ideas!

I guess this is a good one to start with at least, they're calling the account FF7 Remake so that must be the main one to talk to.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii

Someone somewhere had the idea of Yuffie stealing the materia and Wutai casting materia and uh-oh

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365685874151809025

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mandoric posted:

Nothing of the sort in the Material Ultimania, or at least there isn't a prop design section in the index and the enemies section just lists "machine gun" and "grenade" for Shinra security. Likewise, Rufus has big expanded section on his gun, but it's just listed as "Rufus Shinra's gun"; hell, not even the Proud Clod has milnerd exposition.

Actual model numbers in FF7 material seem to be mostly limited to transport, with the B1-α and B1-β helicopters, the Hardy-Daytona's VE4-Ge engine, the sA-27 and sA-37 kei car and truck on showcase at Shinra HQ (both powered by the 1S-Ge engine), and the PA-86. There might be something in the 2005 FF7 Ultimania Omega, since it's the source of a lot of these, but there probably isn't. If you want to make something up, you could probably do worse than assuming it was developed during or shortly after the Wutai War given that there's nothing like lots of shooting to spur research into new gun designs, take the letters in the other examples as likely descriptive (V-4 Engine, Small Automoble, Personal Automobile) and match it with MG-, and then slap in a two digit year somewhere around the 92-00 range of the war.

I was also thinking of MG-1997 (OG FF7 release date) as a reference to the Thompson Submachine that the Shirna SMG kinda looks like

RareAcumen posted:

Don't come to me asking for solutions I only have ideas!

I guess this is a good one to start with at least, they're calling the account FF7 Remake so that must be the main one to talk to.

I sended a tweeter

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder how the plate falling scene will play out during Yuffie's story? Considering we see Deepground stuff in the trailer, I wonder if she's going to be underground when the plate falls and the impact fucks up everything down there. I also wonder if her new Avalanche friends are also based in Sector 7?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just finished watching Max Doods Dirge of Cirge stream, and holy poo poo that game is even worse than I remember. And I remembered it being pretty bad to begin with

Can't say I'm looking forward to revisiting any of the deep ground crap with Yuffiemake

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it will be good now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WEISS THE IMMACULATE is basically gonna be a completely different character from in DoC so that might be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is how Nomura gets Yoko Taro to help him finish the next part of FF7 Remake.