Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crisis Core is the only good part of the FFVII EU.

Well that and Cait Sith's accent and Barret's inexplicable fishnet shirt in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

Crisis Core is the only good part of the FFVII EU.

Well that and Cait Sith's accent and Barret's inexplicable fishnet shirt in the movie.

Tifa and Loz or w/e his name is, their fight in the church was p rad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chair Salvo

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Crisis Core is good in general, especially Angeal's dad energy, but especially for the scene where Hojo tells Gackt's character that he's read Loveless and it was trash.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cardinale posted:

Crisis Core is good in general, especially Angeal's dad energy, but especially for the scene where Hojo tells Gackt's character that he's read Loveless and it was trash.

Yeah Angeal lowkey owns, and I am glad he was basically recreated as Gladio in XV tbqh

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
My anxiety coupled with being old and cranky about missing stuff has me using a guide and I'm unashamed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The game seems to crib A LOT from Advent Children.

(All game spoilers including ending)

- Motorcycle combat with Roche was very much like AC
- The entire Cloud headache/flashbacks visual cue was straight from AC (which in turn was a cue from the original but how it looks in the modern game, even the noise, was from AC)
- Rude unlimited glasses
- Reno’s church fight was a mirror of the Tifa fight in the church. Reno himself was a super fast/agile lightning/stun weapon enemy for god’s sake!
- The entire Sephiroth fight at the end on the ruins of Midgar had the same look as AC what with Sephiroth throwing buildings at you and everything breaking around you
- The number / reunion dudes being manifestations of Jenova/Sephiroth and “becoming” him while alluded in the original is like the core aspect of how Sephiroth shows up in AC.

Anyways, not a complain per se but some of those were very noticeable while playing.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

GoGoGadget posted:

You can't get that materia until the chapter right before going to Shinra HQ, as far as I know

You can while doing side quests in chapter 8

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Rude's unlimited sunglasses were hilarious.

Like, when Reno thought Rude died in the helicopter crash I cracked up when he was relieved as soon as he found the sunglasses.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Rude's unlimited sunglasses were hilarious.

Like, when Reno thought Rude died in the helicopter crash I cracked up when he was relieved as soon as he found the sunglasses.

didn't the relief come from him putting his hand on Reno's shoulder?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm level 19.5 in chapter 8 at about 13.5hr in, and still using the buster sword, albeit decked out. the only other weapon i have for cloud is the one sword from the weapons dude in tifa's sector, which isn't that great. does that sound about right? in any case, i feel like i'm either moving way too fast or way too slow for some reason.

also, how in the hell are you supposed to properly beat reno? i basically just dodged and rolled, especially trying to miss that paralyzing orb, took hits that slowly built up my limit meter, downing like 40 potions to give me enough time, which then allowed me to use 2 limits which broke him.

i'm pretty sure that's not the real way to do it, but i could not land a single square attack against him, and magic didn't seem to be doing that much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For those who have finished, how long is the last chapter of the game after the last point of no return?

Man I have some thoooughts already. Mostly about some atmosphere and scenes I wish we'd gotten to see, 'cause the detour in chapter 17 instead was kinda boring in comparison lmfao. Curious to see how this ends tho I've had a pretty big idea for a while what the dementors are actually for.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

abelwingnut posted:

so i'm level 19.5 in chapter 8 at about 13.5hr in, and still using the buster sword, albeit decked out. the only other weapon i have for cloud is the one sword from the weapons dude in tifa's sector, which isn't that great. does that sound about right? in any case, i feel like i'm either moving way too fast or way too slow for some reason.

also, how in the hell are you supposed to properly beat reno? i basically just dodged and rolled, especially trying to miss that paralyzing orb, took hits that slowly built up my limit meter, downing like 40 potions to give me enough time, which then allowed me to use 2 limits which broke him.

i'm pretty sure that's not the real way to do it, but i could not land a single square attack against him, and magic didn't seem to be doing that much.

Punisher mode counters make Reno a joke.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bland posted:

Punisher mode counters make Reno a joke.

This is the way for every. single. duel. Even (Last Fight spoiler)Sephiroth, you need to "abuse" the enemy's "aggro" on your controlled character to make him melee into Cloud's counters. Idk if it's possible with Tifa + parry or whatever, but that's how I did it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Having just finished this fight, I can't stop laughing at this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

esperterra posted:

Yeah Angeal lowkey owns, and I am glad he was basically recreated as Gladio in XV tbqh

Except that Gladio is straight (or maybe bi), and we all can tell Angeal would be anything but.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ApplesandOranges posted:

Except that Gladio is straight, and we all can tell Angeal would be anything but.

Angeal and Genesis is 100% canon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wanna know why they made Blizzard and Aero spells such a pain to actually land, especially when it seems like a disproportionate number of enemies weak to those elements are highly mobile and/or airborne. It's extremely rude, is what it is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Harrow posted:

I really wanna know why they made Blizzard and Aero spells such a pain to actually land, especially when it seems like a disproportionate number of enemies weak to those elements are highly mobile and/or airborne. It's extremely rude, is what it is.

It's pretty backwards isn't it? And typically the slowest enemies in the game (robots) are weak against the only magic type that lands instantly and can't miss.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

aced the tonberry fight on my first try. he got barret but i staggered him right after and just unloaded with tifa and cloud and he died pretty easily. i just spammed all the moves that build up stagger as soon as i got the atb for them.

Toasterferret
Feb 20, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

aced the tonberry fight on my first try. he got barret but i staggered him right after and just unloaded with tifa and cloud and he died pretty easily. i just spammed all the moves that build up stagger as soon as i got the atb for them.

Tonberry killed the poo poo out of me on my first try. I had Barret equipped with the scissor claws and tried to pile on him for a stagger and he just stabbed everyone to death in like 10 seconds flat.

A lesson well learned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the fat chocobo fight to get the summon materia is loving great. Opens with that fat bastard winging a booze bottle at you just like an abusive parent

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dackel posted:

This is the way for every. single. duel. Even (Last Fight spoiler)Sephiroth, you need to "abuse" the enemy's "aggro" on your controlled character to make him melee into Cloud's counters. Idk if it's possible with Tifa + parry or whatever, but that's how I did it.

That isn't really true, Rude for example is all about dodging, as most of his attacks can't be countered OR blocked

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Should I play the original first?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You don't need to. There's some scenes that are designed to screw with players that have played the original, but they still make sense out of context.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Kingfish posted:

Not required but with the remaster available on modern consoles and PC, it comes with cheats you can turn on to just get through the story fast.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Should you? If you want. It will contextualize the Remake differently. It is by no means required. Though, perhaps selfishly, I am very interested in someone's opinion of the Remake who doesn't have a fierce nostalgia of the original.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My first playthrough of FFVII was abandoned during that loving Junon march level.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I love this game's aesthetic sense so much. The juxtaposition of fantasty sci-fi dystopia with this feeling of hopefulness/sentimentality is really wonderful. Like the warm rendition of the main theme they play in the slums, or when you're going around the rooftops with Aerith--there's something really unique and distinctly Final Fantasy about them. I'm sure a large part of the effect is nostalgia for me, since I played FF7 when I was 13 and only remember little pockets of the game. But it captures a sense of magic that I don't see often. It really makes me want to go back and play FF8 and FF9.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My first playthrough of FFVII was abandoned during that loving Junon march level.

This one got set up the bomb.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Kingfish posted:

I'd play it after Remake. It's very dated from graphics to quality of life features that all games have now. And the combat is just serviceable. I'd play it if you really want to find out what happens after FFVIIR without waiting years. The story beats are still good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just watch Advent Children.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

You can get Cloud's 3rd weapon in chapter 8 from one of the sidequests. His 4th is in 9 just for sale at a weapons shop.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

stev posted:

Just watch Advent Children.

But Advent Children has nothing to do with this game...?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's one thing that I especially like about this game is that all the weapons are not incremental, but instead fill different niches. So you can use any and all of them at pretty much any time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFVII has a metric poo poo-ton of missable stuff like one-time dungeons, materia, side-quests, weapons, and boss-fights that can be easily lost if you don't pixel hunt. You can miss Barrett's ultimate weapon because it only spawns if he's in the party during a short window of time.

I am grateful that nowadays most RPGs heavily signpost points-of-no-return or let you backtrack through a chapter select.

I wish Sephiroth killed Vincent instead. Man, he sucks.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 14, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadget posted:

But Advent Children has nothing to do with this game...?

It was just general advice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can straight up miss 2 party members in FF7.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can someone explain the elemental materia to me? It's supposed to add the element of the linked materia to your weapon but it didn't seem to be working for me. For reference my materia was lightning -> Elemental -> fire.

Nm, my friend just let me know that you have to have little bars between the materia slot for it to work.

Also want to chime in as someone who hates missable stuff. Just learned that I missed out on the chocobo summon, that's lame.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game seems to crib A LOT from Advent Children.

(All game spoilers including ending)

- The entire Sephiroth fight at the end on the ruins of Midgar had the same look as AC what with Sephiroth throwing buildings at you and everything breaking around you

Anyways, not a complain per se but some of those were very noticeable while playing.

This one was especially obvious but what was interesting was the way they undermined AC, starting with Aerith showing up to destroy the building Sephiroth was about to launch at Cloud. Actually her line there in response to Cloud calling him tough was one of my favourite loves in the game, just like "Screw him!" was perfect.

I've been thinking about the dementors and I think people who call them the players who want the same game are wrong - they're whispers and memories, and the game being made under the weight of those memories wasn't one they could make. I don't know where they'll go, but I think it will be interesting. My guess is the next game will be more like a "normal" game, without those fated ones hanging around, but rather with you and the characters uncertain about what might happen. Big plot beats will probably still be the same but who knows what they can change?

Sephiroth is the big enigma for me this time around. I think we're seeing there are two versions of him again - the one we see for most of the game and that we fight with the whispers which is a product of Jenova cells trying to gently caress with Cloud and with their plan and the one we meet at the edge of creation who is more looking the real deal and has a different feel to him. What does he want and will he be evil, or more like Sephiroth pre-Nibelheim? I kind of hope he is because that would make me interested. If he's like the one we saw at the start, talking about killing Cloud's mom in such a stupid way I'll be very disappointed.

The only change I'm actually disappointed in is not following a trail of blood up to a dead Shin-Ra. That was one of the most atmospheric scenes I can remember - gently caress, just have Jenova show up there for a fight anyway after we find him.

Otherwise, the game is amazing and full of love for the original. The few things I worried about all paid off well. And having seen Aerith at the end I'm happy they even got her characterisation pretty much bang on.

So uh.

Any info on part two?