Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

So when I unlocked the fight with Leviathan at the start of Chapter 13, he straight one shot me through blocks from full health with his big AoE hit all attack (Tidal Wave?). I am in chapter 14 now, which I assume is when you're really supposed to fighting him based on that Chapter 13 experience. Is there a recommended set of weapons, gear, or materia to fight him, beyond having lightning and healing materia, of course?

Use the Barrier materia's Manaward to survive his Tidal Wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

So when I unlocked the fight with Leviathan at the start of Chapter 13, he straight one shot me through blocks from full health with his big AoE hit all attack (Tidal Wave?). I am in chapter 14 now, which I assume is when you're really supposed to fighting him based on that Chapter 13 experience. Is there a recommended set of weapons, gear, or materia to fight him, beyond having lightning and healing materia, of course?
Magnified barrier materia is what you need

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

postmodifier posted:

If you just want the summon materia, there is no shame in temporarily lowering the difficulty to Easy in order to chump him. Link lightning+elemental to both Cloud and Barret's weapons, use a spell to pressure him and then unload focused thrust/shot to pretty much immediately stagger him. Switch to Tifa and dump a few triangle chains to boost the stagger damage % and then go to town. He dies in about two cycles of that and you don't even have to heal once.

Wait, am I supposed to have two Elemental materia? I only found one while adventuring with Aerith.

I am pretty certain I missed some things in my first, blind run.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish all Materia of a type would level up in unison, or there was some way to upgrade them so the ones I haven't used previously weren't worthless. The weapons do this so I don't get why Materia doesn't.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

veni veni veni posted:

I wish all Materia of a type would level up in unison, or there was some way to upgrade them so the ones I haven't used previously weren't worthless. The weapons do this so I don't get why Materia doesn't.

Same. Materia level up wicked slow. I think it took ten chapters to max one materia I had since the start of the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Once you get the AP up materia and hit ng+ they level up crazy fast at least

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Everything will level up really fast on hard. TBH I don't think you're intended to have access to multiple copies of firaga or whatever at the end of the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

new kind of cat posted:

In the og game it’s funny when everyone talks up Cloud as being this bad rear end ex-Soldier when his Fight command isn’t appreciably stronger than the rest of the team at the start.

In the Remake I really understood why Cloud is considered an impressive fighter.

At least until Tifa shows up lol

Once I learned you can switch your battle leader it's pretty much always been Tifa if I have the option. Crank her Speed stat up as high as it goes and that girl just puts in so much work.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

If I cast level 2 cure on the ghoul boss in the train graveyard it will do insane amounts of damage. Something like 2-3x damage of anything except limit breaks.

Did I just discover something cool or is this common knowledge? It seems incredibly OP.

E: I think it might actually be a purposeful mechanic. I dunno, but Aerith definitely topped the damage meters for that one. I was wondering why I could suddenly do that to enemies.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 23, 2020

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Woofer posted:

If I cast level 2 cure on the ghoul boss in the train graveyard it will do insane amounts of damage. Something like 2-3x damage of anything except limit breaks.

Did I just discover something cool or is this common knowledge? It seems incredibly OP.

E: I think it might actually be a purposeful mechanic. I dunno, but Aerith definitely topped the damage meters for that one. I was wondering why I could suddenly do that to enemies.

i'm glad youre enjoying your first final fantasy game OP

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s a staple of FF games. In some games a Phoenix down will straight up kill an undead.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

sharrrk posted:

i'm glad youre enjoying your first final fantasy game OP

15 was my first real FF experience and if this was a thing in 15 then I managed to go the whole story without finding out.

I played 7 when I was 10 and have fond memories but I’ll be damned if I really knew what I was doing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWYQYVTu22A

The other "sick tactics" moment was fighting enemies with Reflect, and bypassing it by casting reflect on yourself then casting the damage spell on yourself

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

You know I was thinking about the statement one of the devs made that they watched a bunch of footage of people playing the original game during development and I wonder if most people gave cover and counterattack to Cloud.

It would explain the existence of punisher mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a necessity for beating one of the toughest bosses of FFX!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Woofer posted:

15 was my first real FF experience and if this was a thing in 15 then I managed to go the whole story without finding out.

I played 7 when I was 10 and have fond memories but I’ll be damned if I really knew what I was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArYfqwyyJU

Don't worry, I never thought of this when I was a kid, either and I was older than you when I first beat FFVII.

If there is one area FFVIIR can improve it's Red XIII's subplot. Everything about it sucked, even the boss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does a Phoenix Down work on the Ghoul boss in 7R?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does a Phoenix Down work on the Ghoul boss in 7R?

It does not, though I believe it does work on the mobs.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Nope I tried, definitely a letdown.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always love when you can Phoenix Down an undead boss and insta-kill them, like that one zombie boss on the train in FF8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Was just thinking about how there's Assess data for "proportional damage," are there any materia/items that actually do Gravity damage

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was just thinking about how there's Assess data for "proportional damage," are there any materia/items that actually do Gravity damage

orb of gravity. never used one though

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s a staple of FF games. In some games a Phoenix down will straight up kill an undead.

Not enjoying the grind in FFXII? Then go find that one ghoul in the desert that is inexplicably placed right at the start of the game and can be killed with a single phoenix down, and gives so much experience that Vaan immediately jumps from level 1 to 5! And can be farmed several times a minute with a minor glitch!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not enjoying the grind in FFXII? Then go find that one ghoul in the desert that is inexplicably placed right at the start of the game and can be killed with a single phoenix down, and gives so much experience that Vaan immediately jumps from level 1 to 5! And can be farmed several times a minute with a minor glitch!

Not to mention that it also has a drop chance to get you a staff that will last you until you start getting the super weapons because +fire damage is incredibly useful in FFXII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell, anything that boosts elemental damage in FFXII is usable right straight through the postgame, as long as we're talking about the Zodiac versions. Black magic is super strong in the Zodiac versions thanks to the removed damage cap and so boosted elemental damage is way better for a black mage than any other stat a weapon could give you. In fact the Flame Staff might well be the best one if you double up Black Mage/Red Mage because you can boost Ardor by 50% :black101:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 23, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

There's also a boss who flips the script and does the same thing to you by casting zombie-all and then life-all to one-shot (well, two-shot i guess) your entire party. If you don't specifically prepare for that, he does the one-two punch before you can even get a turn in, then you have to watch a long cutscene before trying him again.

I ragequit the game twice on that boss before finally cheating to get past it. Later, I met Yunalesca

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not enjoying the grind in FFXII?

FFXII had the best grind ever with the slimes. You could literally automate the process, put a rubber band on the control, and max out your game overnight.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

new kind of cat posted:

drat getting chills thinking about seeing the City of the Ancients rendered in full coral glory with a trippy as gently caress skybox

yeah this might be one of the parts i'm looking forward to most, so i hope they don't mess it up somehow. the new version of the music better be just as eerie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's also a boss who flips the script and does the same thing to you by casting zombie-all and then life-all to one-shot (well, two-shot i guess) your entire party. If you don't specifically prepare for that, he does the one-two punch before you can even get a turn in, then you have to watch a long cutscene before trying him again.

I liked the FF14 raid boss that would cast Megadeath on the whole raid so you had to zombify yourself to survive

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This pullup minigame kinda sucks :/

It was fun until the final stage, but not being able to make a single mistake is too much, especially when you can get punished for going *too* fast but your opponent is moving at the speed of light.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This pullup minigame kinda sucks :/

It was fun until the final stage, but not being able to make a single mistake is too much, especially when you can get punished for going *too* fast but your opponent is moving at the speed of light.

The only way I beat it was by going slow, but consistent (not making a mistake is way more important than going fast) and being a little bit lucky. The RNG of Jules is the biggest downer, I think I managed barely with 43-42, which was the lowest I ever saw Jules go in pullups

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno why I never realized it until now that Rufus is basically just David Bowie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't there a boss in Cosmo Canyon in the original that it worked on too?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes, the boss at the end of the Cosmo Canyon dungeon can be one shot with a Phoenix down. One of the few things from that game that absolutely lodged itself in my brain all these years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked being able to dodge moves and poo poo I hope they lean into that and make it more active. The one on one fights were some of the best in the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Invalid Validation posted:

Yes, the boss at the end of the Cosmo Canyon dungeon can be one shot with a Phoenix down. One of the few things from that game that absolutely lodged itself in my brain all these years.

Because it's like learning One Weird Trick, that boss is really hard otherwise

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

In the back end of this now and I've got a couple quick questions about Hard Mode:

Do I need to do the chapters in the "correct" order or can I just select whichever one I'm in the mood for at the moment, clear it, and have it count?

And is there any point in doing sidequests or am I free to just blitz through the story?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fought Leviathan and died. :( I'm right at the start of Chapter 14, so I might go do some quests before I try again. Really not crazy about the design of this fight. I really, really dislike the fights that make the enemy unhittable for long periods of time. Hell House was the worst, but this one was really annoying too -- I got him to like 75% and he took to the sky basically forever, so Cloud and Tifa do nothing while I run around as Barrett trying to dodge tornadoes from a terrible camera angle. I wouldn't mind so much if it was like, an interesting mechanical challenge you have to do while he's unhittable, but it's literally just mindless running for the next few minutes while you slowly plink him down and my Chocobo and Moogle friends waste their time. Felt like he had a little too much health, too, considering how little damage I was able to do during the staggers. I dunno if he gets invincibility at certain health breakpoints but I had two limit breaks lined up for the second stagger and it didn't move his health bar much at all. Then I died because I was getting frustrated and didn't heal and shield in time for his big Tidal Wave. :(

Really not feeling this game in some spots. I like a lot of it, and when it's good it's really good, but certain enemies have just felt incredibly frustrating to fight in a really artificial way. Like they offer you the battle system and you learn how it works, and it's FUN when you do it right, and then some enemies just toss it all out the window for some lame gimmick that's more tedious than anything else.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 23, 2020

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

In the back end of this now and I've got a couple quick questions about Hard Mode:

Do I need to do the chapters in the "correct" order or can I just select whichever one I'm in the mood for at the moment, clear it, and have it count?

And is there any point in doing sidequests or am I free to just blitz through the story?

You can do them however you want. Either from the beginning or jumping around. Important thing to note is that anything besides choices you make for missions/plot are automatically saved. So if you just want to jump back and get an item and then skip to another chapter you'll still have that item. Choices that affect stuff in the future like picking Tifa's dress or what sidequests you do aren't saved until you complete the actual chapter.

And besides sidequests affecting other stuff you're also getting manuscripts for SP for beating bosses on Hard mode as well as completing sidequests. So if you don't care about that you can just blitz the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you are going for a specific dress or Ch. 14 conversation, you need to finish the chapter to lock in any choices you made in there.