Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finally getting around to finishing the game and Barrett's whining as he's forced to climb 59 flights of stairs is goddamn hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Monaghan posted:

Finally getting around to finishing the game and Barrett's whining as he's forced to climb 59 flights of stairs is goddamn hilarious.

I liked that he and Cloud could bellyache about it together, while Tifa's voice just got further away.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The lift was absolutely amazing as well. Every floor, I thought "heh, it'd be funny if [BLANK] happened", and sure enough it did. Both routes are perfect.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kirios posted:

Is this game a safe 60 dollar purchase? I still have a hard time wrapping my head around just the Midgar story being 60 bucks.

This is a heavily padded game, and even if they removed all the padding, it would still be a 60 dollar purchase.

This game is long, detailed, the amount of stuff in it is incredible.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nailed it, I know. Summoning meteor.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elentor posted:

This is a heavily padded game, and even if they removed all the padding, it would still be a 60 dollar purchase.

This game is long, detailed, the amount of stuff in it is incredible.

And then you play New Game+ and it's better still.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Ya climbing the stairs was worth it just for the banter,

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Brunom1 posted:

I look forward to the FF7 version of Mean Girls.

Stop trying to make reunion happen. It's not going to happen!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

And then you play New Game+ and it's better still.

I might do a second playthrough instead of chapter select/hard modes. My first one was very rushed and I really wanted to play this game casually over a year or two or three.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I would replay it on hard mode (and indeed am), you'll get a lot more out of it that way, I think.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is it really necessary to run Hard mode with fully upgraded materia & SP?

I've poked around on some trophy guides and the one I saw indicated as much. It recommended playing chapter select on normal to clean up trophies and then do some grinding before doing a Hard playthrough.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I found the transition from Normal Mode ch. 18 to Hard Mode ch. 1 to be very smooth. I did not stop to do any materia or achievement grinding, but my normal mode playthrough was pretty thorough. So you can pretty much just continue on without a hitch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Some of the boss fights in this game are super gimmicky and annoying. The Rufus fight is pretty easy except the game does very little to communicate the exact way you need to approach the fight.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
maybe the reason it doesn't do that is because it's fairly obvious

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You'll only really need mastered materia for the final VR fight.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I found the transition from Normal Mode ch. 18 to Hard Mode ch. 1 to be very smooth. I did not stop to do any materia or achievement grinding, but my normal mode playthrough was pretty thorough. So you can pretty much just continue on without a hitch.

I think I ended Ch 18 at ~37-38, so a reasonably thorough playthrough. I did all the sidequests I found in my log and poked around in every chapter.

Maybe I'll give hard mode a shot, then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

maybe the reason it doesn't do that is because it's fairly obvious

Maybe for you! The only things I figured out was that he wasn't a car I could just whale on freely without expecting retaliation and 'Hmm, well there's two enemies here and they have a line connecting them. I should hit them with Triple Slash because that just ziplines me at any enemies nearby'

I probably should've figured out that Braver would immediately take him out but he recovered from stagger so quickly I was never prepared.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe for you! The only things I figured out was that he wasn't a car I could just whale on freely without expecting retaliation and 'Hmm, well there's two enemies here and they have a line connecting them. I should hit them with Triple Slash because that just ziplines me at any enemies nearby'

I probably should've figured out that Braver would immediately take him out but he recovered from stagger so quickly I was never prepared.

if you Scan him it says he's vulnerable to Sleep

hitting him with Braver during his reload animation is possible and a pretty fun way to approach the fight, but you can also just dodge his stuff until he's reloading and then cast Sleep on him

Braver still staggers him immediately if you hit him with it while he's asleep

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the Rufus fight is really easy. Yes he briefly kick your rear end at the start, but if you just take a step back and assess the situation (no pun intended), then it becomes really obvious what you're supposed to do

Like the whole point of the fight is to make you go "whoa that's not working" and adapt

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or you can be unfathomably dumb like me and just spam Fires for 10 minutes at max range.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
For me, he always seemed so far away that braver would never have hit him and reloading takes like 1 second. Of course, I had the last laugh knowing this was almost the last fight so I was free to use all my elixirs etc

I did not feel so smart several boss battles later

I will be interested in how it works when I get there on hard mode though

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played FF7R the same way I played the original, auto-attacking with everyone and spamming cura with Aeris.

Pretty sure I'm the current WR holder for the any% no mechanics category.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

When you assess rufus all it tells you is to make use of a "certain attack" when he is vulnerable

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can you skip the 2nd bike scene on Hard mode like the first one? Just curious since I'm not there yet.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Can you skip the 2nd bike scene on Hard mode like the first one? Just curious since I'm not there yet.

Yup, no biking necessary on hard mode.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

fridge corn posted:

When you assess rufus all it tells you is to make use of a "certain attack" when he is vulnerable

Yeah and the only attack you're guaranteed to have access to as Cloud is Braver (and the Focused attack)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You might not even hypothetically have the first Focus attack if you switched off of it immediately.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I figured out I should use braver first time

I never figured out to use it right as he reloads. That was a very long fight. I think I used counterstance a lot which at least looked stylish

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

if you Scan him it says he's vulnerable to Sleep

hitting him with Braver during his reload animation is possible and a pretty fun way to approach the fight, but you can also just dodge his stuff until he's reloading and then cast Sleep on him

Braver still staggers him immediately if you hit him with it while he's asleep

I totally missed that he was vulnerable to sleep. That would've helped a lot, dang.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Pretty sure Cloud starts with both Braver and Focused Thrust 100% learned. Also, it's not necessarily safe to assume that the "certain ability" is one that Cloud 100% must have, nor would newer players assume it has to be a weapon skill and not, say, a materia spell/ability.

Just sayin', people always going on about how obvious Rufus' gimmick is aren't being totally fair. Especially when Rufus keeps far away from you and Braver has such a short range.

And you're often starved for ATB gauge during the Rufus fight, and he's still resistant to Sleep, so you may have to cast it several times for it to stick, and if it does, you may end up with no ATB bar left to capitalize on it, and you can't start hitting him without waking him up after doing piddly damage.

I mean, he's definitely manageable, but it's pretty obvious how people might not immediately know how to handle him.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 19, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Yup, no biking necessary on hard mode.

Can you skip it on normal cuz gently caress is it tedious

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I found Rufus's second phase a lot more manageable than the first, and I got there by somehow getting a window to hit the dog where I just kept whaling on it with all my might in a blind panic without being hit by Rufus.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
barkstar was easily defeated by the counter skill but it took me longer than i'd like to admit to figure out how to hit rufus himself

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally started my hard mode run and wow, it quickly showed how bad I really am at this game. Normal, you can almost button mash your way through. Lack of item access makes it so much harder and yet so much more satisfying when you take out a tough enemy. The Scorpion killed me a few times before I was able to skate by with Barret dead and Cloud under 2k HP (and Cloud's mocking of Barret the entire time was fantastic).

Now I'm in the middle of sidequesting in chapter 3, and I have to ask - can I just sell all these worthless items then? Since I can't use them, might as well get some gil that will be completely useless once I buy all the materia I want, right?

Good game, remains good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah sell whatever items you can't use if you want.

In my experience though, I ended up with more money than I needed even without selling items.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 26, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

Finally started my hard mode run and wow, it quickly showed how bad I really am at this game. Normal, you can almost button mash your way through. Lack of item access makes it so much harder and yet so much more satisfying when you take out a tough enemy. The Scorpion killed me a few times before I was able to skate by with Barret dead and Cloud under 2k HP (and Cloud's mocking of Barret the entire time was fantastic).

Now I'm in the middle of sidequesting in chapter 3, and I have to ask - can I just sell all these worthless items then? Since I can't use them, might as well get some gil that will be completely useless once I buy all the materia I want, right?

Good game, remains good.

Ya I haven't played on hard yet but plan to, I am on last chapter but I felt like a lot of boss belts I lucked out and didn't figure out their patterns/weakness properly but still got them. Gonna be enjoyable in hard to get my poo poo shoved in.

Btw what is the difference betwee Mythril Blade and Twin Stinger?

Also this games combat is so deep even without accounting for materia, like if you hold square in punisher mode you can get a berserker buff. Doesn't say that anywhere but I saw it on a video.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah the first time I fought Rufus I thought “certain skill” was referring to counterstance, which is the ability you get from cloud’s last sword that drops in the Drum, so that fight took a looooong time due to how AP starved you are on account of getting no auto attack refund. There’s literally nothing to indicate that Braver is the magic bullet there compared to the several other skills Cloud is likely to have available by then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Braver's windup felt so slow in that fight I immediately wrote it off as being the skill I needed to use. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah Braver didn't work for me for whatever reason so I wrote it off too and settled on another skill that seemed to work well enough, I forget which.