Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Square has never just picked from the usual suspects of English dubbing. One of my first JRPGs was Xenosaga Episode 1 and while I didn't know it at the time, Kirk Thornton, Michael McConnohie, Crispin Freeman, Lia Sargent - these and so many others were in every dub ever at the time and some of them are still in every dub ever to this day, I think.

Compare with Final Fantasy X which had Bender and total unknowns like Yuna's VA. FFXII is the same apart from Ashe's VA they are all pretty rare to hear in dubs. FFXIII is the same and then again with FFXV.

They never used a cast like you would hear in other JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFXIII has Troy Baker and Laura Bailey in it, the same year as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which they were also both in.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cecil Harvey and Johnny are both voiced by Sasuke Uchiha

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

FFXIII has Troy Baker and Laura Bailey in it, the same year as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which they were also both in.

Bailey is a minor role in that game. It also has Mary Elizabeth McGlynn but, again, minor role. They give minor roles to the "usual dub VAs" quite often but rarely major ones. Like Quinton Flynn was a couple characters in FFX but nobody major.

Baker I'll give you. But like Hope and Sazh and Vanille and Fang are all pretty unknown. I don't know if Light's VA ever did dubbing, I mainly know her as Liara from ME.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

Cecil Harvey and Johnny are both voiced by Sasuke Uchiha

JP Auron is voiced by Itachi.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Bailey is a minor role in that game. It also has Mary Elizabeth McGlynn but, again, minor role. They give minor roles to the "usual dub VAs" quite often but rarely major ones. Like Quinton Flynn was a couple characters in FFX but nobody major.

Baker I'll give you. But like Hope and Sazh and Vanille and Fang are all pretty unknown. I don't know if Light's VA ever did dubbing, I mainly know her as Liara from ME.

Laura Bailey's Serah then went on the become the main character in XIII-2. :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Bleck posted:

the voices in FFVIIR are so good because they're actual actors instead of half-rear end randos pulled from the weird cult that's completely monopolized English dubs of Japanese media in North America

They hated him because he told the truth

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I beat FFVIIR on Hard Mode and the final boss was a panic induced adrenaline rush.

90 hours in total. Such a good game in every way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like "they're good because they're not some other people" is a bad way of saying why you like a thing

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not instantly associating a voice with another (or eight) IPs is a valid reason. :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hear Erica Lindbeck almost everywhere, her voice is very prolific.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ulio posted:

Is there any item with a link of 3 slots?

Do you mean like o=o=o ? There's nothing that links three in a row, but I think there are items that have 3 linked pairs, like o=o o=o o=o iirc.

If you want to link one materia to two other materia simultaneously, I believe you can? Sort of? Sometimes? Like for instance I think you could take a Fire materia and link it to MP Absorb, and then in another paired slot, you would take a Fire of equivalent level and link it to All, and then in practice you would be able to cast Fire spells on multiple enemies at once while absorbing MP from all of them as well. You can actually do some serious work with Aerith this way if you gear her specifically to one element, pick a weapon that reduces attack spell cost and/or increases attack spell damage, and cast from within her Arcane Ward. Doubled Thundaga on a mob of enemies for a net cost of like 2 MP.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Do you mean like o=o=o ? There's nothing that links three in a row, but I think there are items that have 3 linked pairs, like o=o o=o o=o iirc.

If you want to link one materia to two other materia simultaneously, I believe you can? Sort of? Sometimes? Like for instance I think you could take a Fire materia and link it to MP Absorb, and then in another paired slot, you would take a Fire of equivalent level and link it to All, and then in practice you would be able to cast Fire spells on multiple enemies at once while absorbing MP from all of them as well. You can actually do some serious work with Aerith this way if you gear her specifically to one element, pick a weapon that reduces attack spell cost and/or increases attack spell damage, and cast from within her Arcane Ward. Doubled Thundaga on a mob of enemies for a net cost of like 2 MP.

oh poo poo this is a game changer

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Literally, you'll do that and suddenly be playing FF8.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Literally, you'll do that and suddenly be playing FF8.

"...."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

... Whatever.

*challenges you to a card game*

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ya I guess that is the only. Like I wanted to magnify + elemental + fira but u have to do it with 2 different chains. I hope they add some late game item for a 3 pair.

Also so far on hard mode Abzu was the hardest, I just notice how few bosses in this game have aoe attacks.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Best girl Jessie did a thing about voice acting:

https://kotaku.com/how-erica-lindbeck-voice-of-final-fantasy-vii-remakes-1845002570

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Uhhh so I just beat the game for the first time and instead of choosing "chapter select" I clicked Title Screen because I wanted to take a break.

Now I can't get back to chapter select or pick New Game > Hard Mode.... looks like I'll have to spend another hour beating the final loving chapter? Please tell me there's a way around this.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DevCore posted:

Uhhh so I just beat the game for the first time and instead of choosing "chapter select" I clicked Title Screen because I wanted to take a break.

Now I can't get back to chapter select or pick New Game > Hard Mode.... looks like I'll have to spend another hour beating the final loving chapter? Please tell me there's a way around this.

Hard Mode isn't a new game thing; try loading your clear game save and it should give you the option.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Namnesor posted:

Hard Mode isn't a new game thing; try loading your clear game save and it should give you the option.

Tried that, puts me right outside the last sequence.
Guess I'll have to redo all that poo poo. Cool.
How in the hell did they miss that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Erica Lindbeck is a pro follow on twitter.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DevCore posted:

Tried that, puts me right outside the last sequence.
Guess I'll have to redo all that poo poo. Cool.
How in the hell did they miss that.

Just because it puts you outside the last sequence doesn't mean you don't have chapter select.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Onmi posted:

Just because it puts you outside the last sequence doesn't mean you don't have chapter select.

I checked in the system menu, no dice :\

And the last autosave was from before the last sequence.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Did... you not save when the game prompted you to?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Namnesor posted:

Did... you not save when the game prompted you to?

I thought I did, and then returned to the main menu.

I guess that didn't happen.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah you have to beat the last chapter again and save your game when it tells you to.

Then go to system menu at any point in the game and you can choose any chapter you want on any difficulty (You can even skip chapters on Hard mode if you want to grind specific things)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 12, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So that one guy calls Cloud a "Mako junkie."

Now I know full well from the original game taht Mako can gently caress you up but I never got the impression it was a drug. A junkie implies people recreationally fry their brains with Mako somehow in FFVIIR?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty sure he's just making fun of Cloud for loving himself up doing the SOLDIER modifications or what-have-you.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Human beings can and have gotten high on everything that gives off fumes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had the weirdest dream of a paid DLC that involved just re-adding all the Shinra HQ minigames.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
It's definitely part of the lore, both in-game and in the expanded universe - huffing mako gives you the experiences of the souls that make it up, like a super hosed up version of Kathryn Bigelow's esteemed 1995 film, Strange Days????

It makes you catatonic and sick as hell though, like Cloud after washing up in Mideel, or Jessie's dad in the remake, so just say NO to MAKO.

(THIS GUY ARE SICK)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress the Eligore fight was so tough on hard mode, I thought Hell House would be tougher and long but it's super quick actually if you know what to do even with the tonberries added

Eligore even if you know what to do he casts reflect on you so the only way to heal party is through chakra or pray which is 2 atb slot. Just the addition of reflect completely changes the dynamic of the fight. Best thing about hard mode is seeing the new abilities each boss has and I got the bladed staff for Aerith finally.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What are the odds of FF16 actually being the remake sequel

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're not going to not call it Final Fantasy VII

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

To fully tip their hand and show their contempt for the fans of the original FF7, they're going to name the next one Metal Gear Solid VI.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would not be surprised if FF7R2 is gonna be called FF7 Rebuild instead of FF7 Remake Part 2
FF7 Reimagine
FF7 Divergence

I will be very mad if it's called FF7 Memento.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope at some point in these remakes that Cloud uses a gun in Punisher Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Elentor posted:

I would not be surprised if FF7R2 is gonna be called FF7 Rebuild instead of FF7 Remake Part 2
FF7 Reimagine
FF7 Divergence

I will be very mad if it's called FF7 Memento.

FF7 Relearn