Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The poster on the right makes me want to pretentiously recite passages about the Gift of the Goddess.

That said, more Barret parenting is nice.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jessie going "okay, that was pretty cool" and Cloud kinda giving a little smile has made me care about him more than literally the entirety of the original game

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

precision posted:

Jessie going "okay, that was pretty cool" and Cloud kinda giving a little smile has made me care about him more than literally the entirety of the original game

I thought they did a pretty good job of showing Cloud is a tryhard dork overall, with how little the demo actually shows.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I hope we get to see Barret having some dad moments with Marlene :kimchi:

precision posted:

I had such a hard time seeing what people liked about Cloud when I played the original game until I watched Tim Rogers' slow translation of FF7. After seeing what gets lost in translation he's much more interesting.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I just started a second playthrough and is it just me or are there a few subtle notes of One Winged Angel during the music when Aerith runs away from the mako pipe and drops some flowers?

Yes, the minor modulation there uses the exact same vocals as OWA. It was such a big piece of music in the original that I am pretty sure they are gonna promote it to a prevalent leitmotif in the full game's score.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I love that there are a bunch of different takes on the original battle themes. The one that plays during the punisher mode tutorial is really great and reminds me of the music from FFXIII. One of the gameplay videos released today also has a more rocking take on the boss theme.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

arisu posted:

Tempted to play the demo but I wanna go into the full game fresh so I think I'll just download it for the theme.

You have until May 11th or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job of showing Cloud is a tryhard dork overall, with how little the demo actually shows.

Yeah it's great. It's good to see it taking a bit of the tone of 15 where people are actually casual sometimes too

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

f#a# posted:

Yes, the minor modulation there uses the exact same vocals as OWA. It was such a big piece of music in the original that I am pretty sure they are gonna promote it to a prevalent leitmotif in the full game's score.

I think the hint there is that Sephiroth was trying to contact her somehow, just like he's messing with Cloud's head multiple times

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It's probably too long of a title, but in honor of the demo being out:

"FF7 remake: I ain’t going down fighting a god drat scorpion!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope there is way more Biggs, Wedge and Jessie in the main game. I'm hoping that bothering to get Gideon Emery and Badger means exactly that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I thought Barret's elevator speech was a bit much, but then I loved him calling Cloud Stamp

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The elevator speech didn't seem much more than what was originally there. I definitely read it from the original as him going on a rant.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought Barret's elevator speech was a bit much, but then I loved him calling Cloud Stamp

At the end when he points his finger dramatically and sounds like he's preaching about Jesus, it's pretty great. It's awkward at first though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The combat system was a lot of "uh, so I guess I'll just do whatever" until the shock troopers showed up at the end, then it kind of clicked what they're going for with a little more thoughtful combat. At the very least, having enemies who evade and who you need to use the counter stance to damage/stagger is more involved than literally anything you do in FFXV. Excited to see what they do with the full game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I was hoping the demo would make me like Barrett.

Nope. He’s still a dumb character, even after all these years. I’m bored of “tough rear end in a top hat” but at least he’s not a Mr. T stereotype as much.

Have you played all of FF7 before? Because Barret is like... the biggest softie of the group. He's hot headed but his entire character is not "tough rear end in a top hat".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also this is the very beginning of the game, where he was always the prickliest to this random dude his friend recommended help them who used to work for the company he's fighting against and who doesn't seem to give a poo poo so maybe it's understandable.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

dumbapples :allears:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That rocked. Anyone else thinking that boss battles are gonna be WAY harder in the remake if that was the first one?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's probably too long of a title, but in honor of the demo being out:

"FF7 remake: I ain’t going down fighting a god drat scorpion!"

FF7 Remake: Get Help

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vanrushal posted:

That's a Brazilian flag and ain't no one tellin me otherwise.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Elentor posted:

That's a Brazilian flag and ain't no one tellin me otherwise.

Fun fact: "Order and Progress" is also the Shinra slogan.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Vanrushal posted:

Clear Icicle hahaha holy poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF7 Remake: Get Help

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Demo is short but... I'm pretty hyped, pre-ordered :woop: (both ff7 and nioh 2)

They changed a pretty big thing from the original so I dunno how they'll deal with the environmental message.

Pretty sure I know what you're referring to. The fact AVALANCHE'S bomb didn't cause all the extra devastation but it was instead a framejob by Shinra, right?

Saw it when the demo was leaked. It substantially alters a lot of the game's meaning and also really changes Barret's character.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I can't believe that they managed to make Jessie thirstier for Cloud than she was in the original.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I really liked the environment work that went into the reactor as a location. Has a nice progression from "reception area" to "worker prep" to "maintenance storage" to "the actual facilities."

On the twist: I'm not too turned off by Shinra's escalation, even if it could have been handled in another manner. It certainly highlights how ragtag AVALANCHE is and how much more control the electric company has. I haven't looked at any spoilers so I'll have to remain curious on whether Jessie's off-hand mention of there being someone who gets her passcodes when no one else in "command" will talk to them is a Shinra agent/Turk since as I recall the original implied they lost people trying to get those codes (or at least in the localization).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just played through the Midgar part of the original FF7, and I really hope there is some content beyond that in the remake, or the game will be like 6 hours long. Somehow that part felt much longer two decades ago.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hogama posted:

On the twist: I'm not too turned off by Shinra's escalation, even if it could have been handled in another manner. It certainly highlights how ragtag AVALANCHE is and how much more control the electric company has. I haven't looked at any spoilers so I'll have to remain curious on whether Jessie's off-hand mention of there being someone who gets her passcodes when no one else in "command" will talk to them is a Shinra agent/Turk since as I recall the original implied they lost people trying to get those codes (or at least in the localization).

My guess is that The 'leak' was Heidegger, who kicked it up to Shinra and then concocted the plan to delegitimize Avalanche.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty sure I know what you're referring to. The fact AVALANCHE'S bomb didn't cause all the extra devastation but it was instead a framejob by Shinra, right?

Saw it when the demo was leaked. It substantially alters a lot of the game's meaning and also really changes Barret's character.

I saw people freaking out about this earlier, but I don't really think it makes a big difference?

AVALANCHE was still there to bomb the place. Its not like they were just trying to peacefully disable it and Shinra blew it and then blamed them. Barrett still 100% wanted that thing to explode, and it exploded.

The difference just makes Shinra look less incompetent, that a group of random people could break into the facility and plant a bomb and they wouldn't know seems a bit far-fetched. Having them be aware but totally okay with it because they decide they can use it as a political message seems a-ok to me.

This is gonna expand a lot of things. I don't see that as a retcon. If Barrett was like "if we flip these switches the reactor will become inoperable" then yeah, I'd see your point. But he's there to plant a bomb. It just happens the bomb wasn't enough.

Hogama posted:

I really liked the environment work that went into the reactor as a location. Has a nice progression from "reception area" to "worker prep" to "maintenance storage" to "the actual facilities."

Yeah I loved the expansion of the environment. Got some serious Chernobyl themes when you get to the final reactor cooling room.

But it also still captures the intent of the original, all the rooms and the transitions still felt realistic to the original design.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Finally got to play the demo and I'm not feeling the combat. Maybe it's because I've been playing a ton of Ys 8 but ff7r just feels mushy and unresponsive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like the new script calling the SOLDIER rank and file "operators," it's got that cyberpunk depersonalization vibe

overall the dialogue's going for the over-talkiness of FFXV but at least it sounds passably human, unlike anything in the kingdom hearts games

my win against guard scorpion was not a graceful one. had no idea how to avoid eating poo poo against its missile salvos, even guarding racked up the damage fast

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

my win against guard scorpion was not a graceful one. had no idea how to avoid eating poo poo against its missile salvos, even guarding racked up the damage fast

My win was entirely down to me chugging potions because I couldn't dodge its attacks for poo poo.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Does classic mode auto-dodge? I couldn't even tell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also that "guess you're a one-year old!" line was reeaaallll clumsy foreshadowing, SE

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Does classic mode auto-dodge? I couldn't even tell.

It auto guards, I think. The dodge roll you get from hitting the o button is kind of a trap because as far as I could tell it doesn't have iframes and most enemy attacks track way too well to dodge them unless you're already pretty far away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the default materia assignments make no sense either. LIGHTNING comes from CLOUDS. barret is HOT-BLOODED. get your poo poo together, people!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Also in a demo full of relatively great visual design Jessie's incredibly form-fitting chrome boob armor is just awful. I appreciate the overall fidelity to the original designs but it's real bad folks

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeap, that.

And... AVALANCHE was right, bow all the mako reactors, bring SHINRA down.

Zaphod42 posted:

AVALANCHE was still there to bomb the place. Its not like they were just trying to peacefully disable it and Shinra blew it and then blamed them. Barrett still 100% wanted that thing to explode, and it exploded.

The difference just makes Shinra look less incompetent, that a group of random people could break into the facility and plant a bomb and they wouldn't know seems a bit far-fetched. Having them be aware but totally okay with it because they decide they can use it as a political message seems a-ok to me.

This is gonna expand a lot of things. I don't see that as a retcon. If Barrett was like "if we flip these switches the reactor will become inoperable" then yeah, I'd see your point. But he's there to plant a bomb. It just happens the bomb wasn't enough.

You could argue that while he wanted it to explode from the explosion he created he didn't want it to completely obliterate everything around it.
And having AVALANCHE dealing with the consequences of their actions would be more interesting than eventually learning "oh, guess it wasn't our fault"

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also in a demo full of relatively great visual design Jessie's incredibly form-fitting chrome boob armor is just awful. I appreciate the overall fidelity to the original designs but it's real bad folks

Agree, the armor is terrible. Should've been some non-boob plate armor if they wanted to use somewhat the same design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't really like the change, but it's consistent with Shinra later letting an entire disc fall on a whole sector so :shrug: