Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Pre order to get the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They gave Aeris an Animal Mouth

I mean of course they did but still

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

cock hero flux posted:

the first two mods that come out for this game are going to be tifa having larger breasts and playing as crossdressed cloud for the entire game

No larger breasts for Cross Dressing Cloud?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Replace Every Character With Barret Mod

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HD DAD posted:

Replace Every Character With Barret Mod

Shi'

That's a $%/!!/$=@ good idea

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If anyone here still hasn't watched Tim Rogers going over FF7's translation then now's the time to get that started.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Overbite posted:

Pre order to get the demo

Title screen has a "Press options button to preorder" thingy in the corner

...Wait ... ...no ...

Square Enix, ultima troll posted:

Pre order the Square Enix Avengers game to get the demo

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 31, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the demos from ff world and ff15 had bonuses that carried over to the full games i would count on it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

the demos from ff world and ff15 had bonuses that carried over to the full games i would count on it

Yea that seems more likely. Bonuses for playing / completing the demo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y'all.

Square.

Avengers is no Tobal No. 1.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'll look forward to the last part.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aerith has an Aegith Reflector so she's the only character you should play as that's a pro tip.
:eng101:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Speedball this loving game into my veins immediately

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to point out that there's no reactor 4 in the new opening.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently, the Demo PKG was leaked, and someone was able to get it up and running on a dev version PS4.

If you want to watch a 30 min video in 360p it now goes up to 1080p, do it before it's pulled.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 1, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gideon Emery sounds as fine as ever if you ask me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mixed/positive opinions on the Demo:

Mixed:
* Some of the goofier designs have been... preserved? Which should be good but the 1st ray and monodrive look very strange in such high-definition without a concept art pass. The 1st ray even look lower-poly than the rest of the game. This is a super minor nitpick.
* I'm glad they stopped making sexless stories but I wish Jessie had more character than being, literally, just horny for Cloud in every single line of dialogue. It feels like they took the spunky aspects of Aeris and put into her.
* The plot twist in the end is interesting but kinda unnecessary. On one hand it makes sense that these idiots should not be able to do what they did, on the other hand it really undermines how bad it is what they did and how this is played later on.

Good:
* Cloud is an rear end in a top hat.
* Speaking of which: "You really hear that? Get help" <- That's a really good Cloud line holy loving poo poo. That's pure gold.
* I like how the goofy turrets are integrated into the terrain.
* The localization seems good. I wonder if it's better than the JP script.
* The music remix so far didn't distract me or make me think it's just the original with wrong instruments.
* The insane jumps they do on EU are for once treated as something out-of-the-ordinary.
* I want to hear more Gideon Emery.
* Combat looks fine. I don't like this genre and style and neither does my hosed up arm anymore, but I imagine those who do will have a field day. Seems like an outright better, cleaned up and more polished version of XV's.
* The explosion scene and camera angles from the PoV of a regular person are absolutely amazing and it was the first time I was impressed at the scenery, that was pretty good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I just want to point out that there's no reactor 4 in the new opening.

there is, though, it just looks somewhat exploded

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cock hero flux posted:

there is, though, it just looks somewhat exploded

I'm looking at where it should be but I can't find it.

It's a bad 404 joke. Look at the label.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 1, 2020

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I like how some enemies seem to require other tactics than in the original version. Those dodgy shock troopers for example.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One thing that is really disconcerting from time to time is how everyone in a Japanese game makes noises all the time. Everybody is gasping or sucking in their breath any time they do anything.

Jesie: *random breath* You and Tifa bangin'?
Cloud: *turns head exhales, thinking* Tifa and I...
Jessie: *more little gasps*

Everybody complained about the audio compression in the original FFXII but it was when Ashe or somebody was taking huge breaths that it stood out to me since it was so goddam loud.

I dunno how I feel about Barret singing the victory fanfare. It's a powerful meme I'm sure but it was either done by a spaz like Prompto or a smug prick like Ardyn. "I'M ALWAYS ANGRY!" Barret isn't a good fit.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 1, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish FF was as tame as that.

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing that is really disconcerting from time to time is how everyone in a Japanese game makes noises all the time. Everybody is gasping or sucking in their breath any time they do anything.

I think this is considerably worse in HD Square games than other JP games. And yes, it's aggravating. Dissidia NT is gasps and grunts: The movie.

FFXV starts
King: My son, I want to have one last talk to you, something perfectly natural.
*Everyone react defensively with their bodies.
-aahgh
-ughh
-agahaa
-ohhh

-eeh uurrtgh

Every scene in a modern FF game is a new retelling of Arnold falling on Conan the Barbarian.

Also people do gestures so exaggerated that even Akira Kurosawa would tell them to tune the overacting down a little.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 1, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

Jesie: *random breath* You and Tifa bangin'?
Cloud: *turns head exhales, thinking* Tifa and I...
Jessie: *more little gasps*
It's so ingrained into japanese culture, but of course without redoing all the animations, the english version would be weirder if they were silently emoting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko
EFB took me ages to find it so heres the other one I was thinking of

Elentor posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIANCyXGN5I

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't see why they pay voice actors all this money to make anime effort noises when they could just record my grandma trying to open a jar of pickles.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I read your post and my body reacts defensively, my shoulders stiffen and my arms move back

"Eooargh, Urrgh", I say.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elentor posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think this is considerably worse in HD Square games than other JP games. And yes, it's aggravating. Dissidia NT is gasps and grunts: The movie.

FFXV starts
King: My son, I want to have one last talk to you, something perfectly natural.
*Everyone react defensively with their bodies.
-aahgh
-ughh
-agahaa
-ohhh

-eeh uurrtgh

Every scene in a modern FF game is a new retelling of Arnold falling on Conan the Barbarian.

Also people do gestures so exaggerated that even Akira Kurosawa would tell them to tune the overacting down a little.

Is this an HD thing in general? I've been playing aggressively Japanese video games for a long time now but I don't remember this being a thing in, like, Metal Gear Solid 1-3 or Xenosaga.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this an HD thing in general? I've been playing aggressively Japanese video games for a long time now but I don't remember this being a thing in, like, Metal Gear Solid 1-3 or Xenosaga.

It wasn't. I have no idea when this trend started. FFX has a lot of gasps and overacting but it's nowhere close to the symphony of suffocating VAs that we have today.

The first instance that I can remember where grunts are overused to fill in is FF7:AC.

I imagine the scenario writing for these games has a "everyone gasps in surprise" quota that keeps getting higher every year.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
having only played the old ones I am so glad summons are no longer just a cutscene

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

It wasn't. I have no idea when this trend started. FFX has a lot of gasps and overacting but it's nowhere close to the symphony of suffocating VAs that we have today.

The first instance that I can remember where grunts are overused to fill in is FF7:AC.

I imagine the scenario writing for these games has a "everyone gasps in surprise" quota that keeps getting higher every year.

people naturally have body language and make noise but in a way that is subtle and was, at least in the early days, very difficult to convey properly though 3d models. Originally they just didn't bother, but once the models became good enough, like PS2 era, you started getting an uncanny valley effect where the complete absence of breathing and body language made everyone seem like weird robots. So they had to start doing it, but "move his eyebrow up 1mm and tell the voice actor to breathe into the mic 5% more strenuously" doesn't come across very well so they had to exaggerate everything. Now that's what everyone in the industry has experience with so even though we have now reached a level of technical proficiency that would allow us to do those subtle things we still have people react to someone saying something slightly surprising like mike tyson just punched them in the mouth, and everyone huffs and puffs like a fat boy with asthma every time they have to jog 3 feet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, me being the clueless person that I am, I wasn't sure about something but somebody independently saw the scene exactly the same way.

AVALANCHE'S bomb did little damage in this. It was Shinra causing their machines to go haywire that led to a much more dramatic explosion. So AVALANCHE are not murderous terrorists in this.

Fuckin' called it. Then again, so did a lot of people.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow, they made the story better.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, me being the clueless person that I am, I wasn't sure about something but somebody independently saw the scene exactly the same way.

AVALANCHE'S bomb did little damage in this. It was Shinra causing their machines to go haywire that led to a much more dramatic explosion. So AVALANCHE are not murderous terrorists in this.

Yeah, I just hope Barret never finds out, so he still gets to feel guilty about it. Or maybe it could change a scene much further down the line between Barret and Cait Sith

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wonder how many used/unused assets from FFXV show up in this game

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elentor posted:

Vanille's VA gave an interview where she described how loving weird it was to be asked to record a bunch of anime noises.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elentor posted:

My mixed/positive opinions on the Demo:

Mixed:
* Some of the goofier designs have been... preserved? Which should be good but the 1st ray and monodrive look very strange in such high-definition without a concept art pass. The 1st ray even look lower-poly than the rest of the game. This is a super minor nitpick.
* I'm glad they stopped making sexless stories but I wish Jessie had more character than being, literally, just horny for Cloud in every single line of dialogue. It feels like they took the spunky aspects of Aeris and put into her.
* The plot twist in the end is interesting but kinda unnecessary. On one hand it makes sense that these idiots should not be able to do what they did, on the other hand it really undermines how bad it is what they did and how this is played later on.

Good:
* Cloud is an rear end in a top hat.
* Speaking of which: "You really hear that? Get help" <- That's a really good Cloud line holy loving poo poo. That's pure gold.
* I like how the goofy turrets are integrated into the terrain.
* The localization seems good. I wonder if it's better than the JP script.
* The music remix so far didn't distract me or make me think it's just the original with wrong instruments.
* The insane jumps they do on EU are for once treated as something out-of-the-ordinary.
* I want to hear more Gideon Emery.
* Combat looks fine. I don't like this genre and style and neither does my hosed up arm anymore, but I imagine those who do will have a field day. Seems like an outright better, cleaned up and more polished version of XV's.
* The explosion scene and camera angles from the PoV of a regular person are absolutely amazing and it was the first time I was impressed at the scenery, that was pretty good.

In the final game, there's an option that should make it play more like the classic game, which might be better for you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean they're still TRYING to blow it up right? Presumably if their bomb failed they'd just come back with a bigger one until it worked. They're only technically not murderers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RatHat posted:

I mean they're still TRYING to blow it up right? Presumably if their bomb failed they'd just come back with a bigger one until it worked. They're only technically not murderers.

Recreating Chernobyl probably wasn't what they were aiming for. Make a big enough mess in the inner parts of delicate and complex machinery, and the only option becomes a costly full replacement.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RatHat posted:

Interestingly, that would be the reverse of canon:
Jessie: "Hey, look at the news... What a blast. Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me. Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere."

So Jessie found out how to build a bomb on the Internet and hosed it all up. The explosion at the next Reactor is apparently much weaker as somebody pointed out to me. Cait Sith even confirms that apparently only the first reactor killed innocent folks:

Cait Sith: Doncha worry none, Marlene's in a safe place. She's with Aerith's mama. Barret!! What was that scratching just now!? As long as Marlene is safe,
who cares what else happens, right? I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while now! When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think died?

So maybe it was all a really bad mistake.

But this is good! This is good writing. People like to give the Forest Owls and Rinoa poo poo for being wannabe freedom fighters. But this is what it looks like when desperate people try to take drastic action. They will make oopsies that get a lot of folks killed because they don't have a clue what they're doing but they need to do something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could have the cake and eat it too by having Heidegger ask Pres. Shinra if he wants the anti-bomb unit or whatever to disarm the bomb and Pres. Shinra went "no".