Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lessail posted:

That sounds a lot like what you do in rpgs

At least other MMORPGs mix things up in the quests and/or have areas to explore while doing them. FFXIV does not. It is literally the same three quests over and over with different text in bland environments. In fact, the environments get worse after ARR because of flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

I am very excited for Tim Rogers's eventual hour-long video review of this. Dude's a massive FF7 fan and has a series where he plays through the original game in Japanese and sorta re-translates it and talks about differences and themes and stuff. He's also the kind of guy who is very much on board for Grand Artistic Choices so I can't wait to see what he has to say.

https://twitter.com/108/status/1247195072891883520?s=20

I'm looking forward to the Tim review equally as much as I'm looking forward to playing it :cheerdoge:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So many reviews I am seeing are calling the game "padded" and "bloated"

I wonder what these people want. Do they want it to be a 10-hour long game so they can call it too short?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

BabyRyoga posted:

I wonder what these people want. Do they want it to be a 10-hour long game so they can call it too short?

Eh, for the moment (first 15 hours), every slum you visit (the same ones as in the original) has about 6 short side quests. Only 2 of those were a bit interesting, the rest fetch quests in town or just monster killing, but no cool story. You don't have to do them, but they do give you some rewards.
The main story expansion has been pretty interesting, concerning both story and locations. Some elements of the main story worry me a bit, but we'll see how it goes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BabyRyoga posted:

If a game is 35 hours but the main story is 10 hours long, and the rest of the game is repetitive "kill 5 pigs" side quests (not proper side quests like in Witcher 3), then it's padded.

That doesn't mean the game is bad. It just didn't need to be three or more loving games.

e: People who say it's unrealistic to do all of FFVII well in one game have really low standards. Dirt low.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's more that they added a lot of things like navigational puzzles that slow things down and take a lot of time. The padding the reviews talk about isn't the side quests--it's that some parts of the original game that were previously quick trips now have more fighting, walking, and puzzles/minigames added in that make them take longer.

SkillUp, in his review, said he figures the game's about 30ish hours long without side quests. He did all but one side quest and finished in about 35 hours.

stev posted:

e: People who say it's unrealistic to do all of FFVII well in one game have really low standards. Dirt low.

I think you could, but I think there'd be a lot of cuts and it'd still be a really long game (just by virtue of voiced cinematic cutscenes taking a lot longer to play out than the original game's unvoiced text boxes). That might be for the better, depending on who you ask, but for example I doubt there'd be room for much exploration or any type of "okay now you can freely explore for a while before your next objective" stuff if they did it in a single game. It'd be a lot like FFX or FFXIII, I guess, and I think that would piss off a lot of the same people who don't like that it's multiple games now.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 6, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about the combat, somebody has probably asked already.

Played the demo, the thing where your party member's ATB bar goes up really really slow unless you switch to them and spam attack for a bit. So you can't have them heal you or whatnot usually unless you switch to them and mash attack for five seconds or so. And also in general this suggests it's balanced around switching between characters a lot, like every 30 seconds. Since you'd always want the bar to go up faster.

Is that how it seems? Also, do you get any AI tuning menu options, like have them heal more or heal you automatically etc?

And one other question, you should be dodge rolling all the time like the Witcher? Not that that's a bad thing, just checking.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

And one other question, you should be dodge rolling all the time like the Witcher? Not that that's a bad thing, just checking.

I can answer this one from just the demo:

The dodge roll doesn't have any i-frames, so it's just a mobility tool. Use it to move out of the way faster than your normal movement, but you can't dodge through attacks with it. My guess is blocking will be more important for reducing damage than dodge-rolling.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harrow posted:

I can answer this one from just the demo:

The dodge roll doesn't have any i-frames, so it's just a mobility tool. Use it to move out of the way faster than your normal movement, but you can't dodge through attacks with it. My guess is blocking will be more important for reducing damage than dodge-rolling.

Interesting, thanks. So I wonder if several gun guys are shooting at you, rolling around isn't the answer? Not less likely to get hit or anything? From the demo it seemed like it might help, but it just feels like the thing to do based on other games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Interesting, thanks. So I wonder if several gun guys are shooting at you, rolling around isn't the answer? Not less likely to get hit or anything? From the demo it seemed like it might help, but it just feels like the thing to do based on other games.

Not too sure--it's possible it reduces their accuracy/makes fewer bullets hit you?

My general tactic was to kill ranged enemies first because they tended to be more fragile, and try to block big attacks I couldn't dodge (like the missile barrage from the Scorpion Sentinel boss in the demo). Blocking reduces damage by a lot so I think using it regularly will be important to avoid getting nuked down.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It's definitely *possible* to do a full remake in a single streamlined + highly polished package, but not by Square Enix, barring some insanely drastic changes in how they approach development.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think the challenge for the developers is to punch up the rest of the game after Midgar more than anything else. There's some great locales and moments in the rest of the game but everyone remembers Midgar well, the rest, bits and pieces. At least for me. This is all without me having played the game yet of course so who knows.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
If you're being aimed at by a bunch of gun guys definitely block, the damage they do is miniscule(at least in the demo), and blocking damage increases your atb bar.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I wonder how they'll handle in a realistic manner the scene where Dyne just repeatedly unloads his gun into Barret's chest and Barret barely flinches.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

I wonder how they'll handle in a realistic manner the scene where Dyne just repeatedly unloads his gun into Barret's chest and Barret barely flinches.
Or the scene post temple of the ancients with Aeris and Cloud.

That one is gonna have to change or it's gonna be real uncomfortable with realistic graphics

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadget posted:

Wasn’t he just shooting at Barrett’s feet or am I misremembering something about the junkyard scene?

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That one is gonna have to change or it's gonna be real uncomfortable with realistic graphics

Or the temple closing with Cait Smith still inside, that’ll be funny to see in HDR

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

new kind of cat posted:

Wasn’t he just shooting at Barrett’s feet or am I misremembering something about the junkyard scene?

Yeah I thought he was unloading around Barret's feet

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah he's just shooting around his feet.

Also I'm pretty curious to see how many games they break this into and where they end them. I'm guessing they aren't gonna want to go higher than 3 games, and I guess the next logical climax story-wise is the end of the Cetra temple, but that would make for a drastically longer game. If they're gonna be doing sidequests and stuff throughout it's hard to imagine how they break things up in a way that makes sense length and plot-wise without feeling like a completely different game from the Midgar section.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still sorta thinking we'll see three parts, with part 1 being Midgar (obviously), part 2 being basically the rest of disc one (possibly with some of the travel cut out--no idea how they'll handle the overworld map or how you get from place to place), and part 3 being roughly analogous to discs two and three.

At least that's what makes sense to me from a story pacing perspective. It's also maybe possible to have four parts but there'd need to be a new climax in there somewhere to make for another good break. Maybe a part could end with (original game spoiler, not remake spoiler) Tifa pulling Cloud out of the Lifestream?

Related question: are we spoiler tagging things from the original game in here, just in case we have people who haven't played it before? I did it there just to be safe but I dunno what we expect people to know already.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

Elvis_Maximus posted:

All he does in the original is push her away and punch the ground. His fists don't even touch her.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

All he does in the original is push her away and punch the ground. His fists don't even touch her.

we just did this argument a few months ago and it was very funny so let's please have it again

Cloud beat the poo poo out of her

e: what was it before? oh yeah, that guy said he was punching her feet lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Golden Saucer will be its own episode and it will actually be a Yakuza game where Majima cosplays as Cloud.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

stev posted:

Ehh, I think they could've done it well in two, but I think the demo nails the first reactor mission and it takes way longer than the original game because it's teaching you the (new, better, more interesting) combat system, the cutscenes are more cinematic/dynamic/animated when people are just talking which is a good and necessary change for the new art style, and stuff like the Guard Scorpion takes longer because - again - the combat system is better and more balanced and you can't just blow through everything in a couple actions.

Doing it to proper fidelity like they're doing things means the game needs more room to breathe than the original. But I agree it doesn't need to be what it will most likely become, which is a laborious 5-10 year cycle of sequel installments, DLC, and some amount of new busywork content and bloat that adds very little narratively or mechanically.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I don't get is the number of people saying it would necessarily be a boring, pointless game if they don't try to mix things up a lot narratively or thematically. I think that's crazy; you can keep all that stuff the same/intact, polish it up a bit, and focus on making the actual gameplay the thing that's new and engaging. Like I'm sure it'll have new boss fights, but if it didn't and every one of them were as different from the original as the Guard Scorpion, it's not like the game wouldn't be a new game or have a ton of new content even if the plot proceeds exactly the same.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

we just did this argument a few months ago and it was very funny so let's please have it again

Cloud beat the poo poo out of her

e: what was it before? oh yeah, that guy said he was punching her feet lmao

:rolleyes:

It's really obvious you're trying to needle me into a meltdown lol grow up.

Go watch a video of it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It sounds like the filler sidequests don't really add anything to the game, but assuming you just don't do them then the pacing can still be quite good. I can accept it being episodic if it really is an uncompromising vision of what the original game could ideally have been. Midgar in the original was quite limited, and supposedly the remake takes you up onto the plate which you...never actually visited in the original, which I distinctly remember being disappointed by.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's really obvious you're trying to needle me into a meltdown lol grow up

elephant ambush, living proof that the haughtiest ones are always the dumbest

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh boy this again

How dumb are you

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Actually, if you look closely, you'll see that Cloud doesn't even have hands, and therefore could not have punched her.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sapozhnik posted:

It sounds like the filler sidequests don't really add anything to the game, but assuming you just don't do them then the pacing can still be quite good. I can accept it being episodic if it really is an uncompromising vision of what the original game could ideally have been. Midgar in the original was quite limited, and supposedly the remake takes you up onto the plate which you...never actually visited in the original, which I distinctly remember being disappointed by.

The sidequests are pretty meh but there are really not that many of them, so far they've been a pretty low percentage of the game. Plus you can totally just ignore them if you want.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't think they're gonna do Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aeris in the remake but that's absolutely what's happening in that scene

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

GoGoGadget posted:

At least other MMORPGs mix things up in the quests and/or have areas to explore while doing them. FFXIV does not. It is literally the same three quests over and over with different text in bland environments. In fact, the environments get worse after ARR because of flying.

So you're telling me that you didn't refund Atlas within 2- hours of purchasing it AND you think FFXIV is a bad game?

Very interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh boy this again

How dumb are you

Don't bother they've tried this very thing in the FF megathread, among other dumber arguments and takes.

Got the game preloading now, demo is insanely good and what FFXV's combat should have been. here's hoping they don't just abandon this good and interesting version of ATB like they have every other interesting evolution of it (LR, X-2).

Also Remake Jessie should replace Tifa in the full game, IMO. Imagine her and Aerith just clowning on fools.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BabyRyoga posted:

If you have 10 hours of game padded to 35 hours then people notice. The stretch between the first and second reactors, which is all I can currently comment on, is full of backstory and cutscenes for characters that don't matter. They're just there to make a bigger gap between story beats and we know this because we already know what's going to happen. It was hilarious that one of the jokingly hyperbolic predictions the thread had for padding sort of played out.

Game is still good and worth grabbing when it's available to you without leaving your house.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think they're gonna do Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aeris in the remake but that's absolutely what's happening in that scene

I think they keep it. It's the perfect illustration of just how hosed up Cloud is by that point.

Being horribly uncomfortable is the point of that scene.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's really obvious you're trying to needle me into a meltdown lol grow up.

Go watch a video of it.

oh no, are you the same guy? I actually didn't realize, I thought you just also had a weird opinion

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I think they keep it. It's the perfect illustration of just how hosed up Cloud is by that point.

Being horribly uncomfortable is the point of that scene.

There’s a pretty significant separation between that kind of scene performed by LEGO people and hd realistic character renders in 4K. Photorealistic cloud beating the poo poo out of photorealistic aerith sorta crosses a line the original didn’t.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean if you take the sound effects at face value aeris would be in a coma. it's going to require some translation one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Whatever happened on the original the remake will not have Cloud repeatedly punching her lol. He'll probably shove her and scream/trash around/punch de ground or whatever