Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1411183926127722497?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Do squats really work your core...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Midgar is definitely the most memorable location in FF7 visually, but in the same sense it's kind of limiting as everybody has a pretty clear image of what Midgar looks like in their minds. Now that the opening chapter is over I think Square is freer to take more artistic liberties with future locations and events because I don't think people are quite as attached to say, perfectly representing their mind's eye version of Kalm (although people inevitably will complain about everything).

I still remember Kalm's two levels and their weird-looking tall medieval walls

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Costa del Sol remains the biggest question mark for me when it comes to part two.

I know that's weird to say but everything up to Nibelheim (which is my guess for where part two will end) I can picture fitting into the remake's hub-setpiece chapter structure.

Costa del Sol in the original is one random road trip pit stop that has a lot of screens but is basically one big setup for the Hojo beach gag and then you move on.

Do they bother modeling all that for the Remake? Do they flesh it out with other stuff or make it an incidental thing in a cutscene, I certainly can't picture them doing the Hojo gag as-is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I do also wonder, now that they made Fort Condor into an in-world board game, what will the actual Fort Condor stuff be like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's difficult to see Remake 2 not making it past Rocket Town. Like even counting "30 hours for the first six hours" Midgar the pacing picks up a whole lot once they leave Midgar.

I am doubling down on my prediction that Remake Part 2 is going to end on Mount Nibel.

If they use the Nibelheim flashback as the tutorial (a completely missed opportunity if they don't), then ending on Mount Nibel will end the story where it began (it's like poetry, it rhymes)

Considering the new themes and arc of the remake, the Gongaga - Cosmo Canyon - Nibelheim leg of the journey would be filled with stuff for a climax: Cosmo Canyon answers key cosmology/world questions, Nibelheim is a critical personal breaking point for multiple characters and discloses huge chunks of backstory, and Gongaga might have an increased importance now.

Junon and Gold Saucer are going to be full hubs. Maybe Kalm will serve the role that Sector 7 did in Chapter 3? In any case, they are setting up Yuffie to play a bigger role in the next part, which would involve more screen time and possibly even including the Wutai arc in some form, which would bring it up to Remake Part 1 length I think.

Maybe they end up in Rocket Town as the denouement but I don't think they go past that. Cid will likely not be playable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The most obvious buildup and stopping place is going to be City of the Ancients. In the original game it is the climactic end of Disc 1 and in the remake it is where all the "things are changing" stuff is going to come to a head with whatever ends up happening with Aerith ends up happening. It is too good a stopping place because no matter what it ends on an appropriate "oh gently caress" cliffhanger. If anything I think they would trim down other places to make sure they can get there and then fill them out more during the We Gotta Stop Meteor trip.

I distrust thinking that "they need to get to the end of Disc 1 in the next part" holds any sway because the disc breaks are primarily governed by FMV space considerations and not narrative acts; remember that Disc 3 is literally one dungeon and the ending, so Disc 1 actually contains like 2/3 of the story.

I also don't think that City of the Ancients, even however they change it, would make for a satisfying ending to an episodic main story. It does not feel like the place you'd put an ending and it needs time for that to breathe in the journey and for the characters to deal with it. It would serve better as the act 2 nadir for a Remake Part 3 (the darkest before the dawn, etc) that would actually end with the first trip to the Northern Crater -- that would give you an Empire Strikes Back "holy poo poo" ending to set up the fourth and final part.

My gut for how you break up the story is Part 2 ends on Mount Nibel, Part 3 ends at the Northern Crater, and then Part 4 will have the Huge Materia arc and Cloud coming back for the last chapters and the final battle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Nibelheim has to be significantly different because if they did a whole episode without paying off anything related to Zack being alive that would be riotous, and that is the place where it would matter the most

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aeifa is Remake canon anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barrett is also the name of a gun manufacturer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007