Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aerith has an Aegith Reflector so she's the only character you should play as that's a pro tip.
:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing that is really disconcerting from time to time is how everyone in a Japanese game makes noises all the time. Everybody is gasping or sucking in their breath any time they do anything.

Jesie: *random breath* You and Tifa bangin'?
Cloud: *turns head exhales, thinking* Tifa and I...
Jessie: *more little gasps*
It's so ingrained into japanese culture, but of course without redoing all the animations, the english version would be weirder if they were silently emoting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko
EFB took me ages to find it so heres the other one I was thinking of

Elentor posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish FF was as tame as that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIANCyXGN5I

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

WaltherFeng posted:

I wonder how many used/unused assets from FFXV show up in this game

Cup Noodle quest??

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Chillgamesh posted:

I could easily see it being 6 tbh
Ch.1 Start of Disc 1 > Leaving Midgar
Ch.2 Kalm > Cosmo Canyon with a ton of new towns and distractions to pad out the playtime
Ch.3 Nibelheim > End of Disc 1
Ch.4 Start of Disc 2 > Cloud's Psyche
Ch.5 The Rocket Town Mission > End of Disc 2
Ch.6 Disc 3

The only reason the original game had 3 discs was the amount of movies. Disc 3 was just the northern crater so that wouldn't be it's own chapter in a remake considering it's like an hour or two long. I'm expecting some of the Kalm story dump to be moved into Midgar.

And they've already said (claimed) that each part will be the length of FF13 so a 6-parter would be really hard to stretch out. And personally I think any more than 3 parts and sales will really start to drop off.

There's no reason that 2 parts can't cover the rest of the game post-Midgar, since the hardest parts (engine,initial assets,gameplay refinements) will be done.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

Everyone should just play or replay FFVII with the New Threat Mod.

https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0

Best version of the game in terms of gameplay.
I don't mind it, I think it's nice that it revamps it as compared to just "multiplies enemy HP by 3 and nerfs all materia" like some kind of dumb hard mode mod, but some of the bosses got tiring. They made some bosses have a specific strategy to kill and just mashing attack or using your strongest magic doesn't work which is really annoying. Some of the boss fights also took well over 5 minutes which is where I start to lose interest. I'm not talking "10 minutes of interesting strategy", more like "repeat the same rotation of attacks for 10 minutes straight"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Cactus posted:

gently caress yeah, got beta from the snake at ~lvl 20. Feels like the game only really starts once you leave Midgar. I'm really curious to see how they expand it. Will it be more story added into a linear structure or will Midgar be more of an open world that you can explore, with all the familiar story beats gated so that they're still experienced in the right order?
I suspect a bit of both. Maybe they'll expand some of the other sectors, add in some side quests like FF15. I think they'll move some of the story dump in Kalm forward to Midgar. It also looks like some of the game length will be in the fact that you can't escape battles - from demo footage doesn't look like you can use ladders or open doors in battle, so they can add in enemies to set the pace and stop people rushing past enemies. No idea if the game will "open up" and allow you to avoid non-boss fights entirely later.

Also, it's interesting that you get Ifrit much earlier but if Midgar is really going to be a full-length game, it makes sense to get 1 or 2. Also don't know if save games will actually transfer between games or you just get a new base save.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

CharlestonJew posted:

SE looked at the leaked screenshots and realized "oh poo poo we forgot to texture this guy"

Didn't one of the new Tomb Raiders have a "classic poly Lara"? Maybe they can just release "classic untextured low poly retro" mode and patch in textures later

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

TommyGun85 posted:

3 separate characters make these noises in literally the first 10 seconds of the trailer. Expect maximum sighs, grunts and groans throughout. As Ive mentioned before, Japanese voice direction is an abomination.
Yeah, the game would either require an entirely separate animation for non-JP, or otherwise you'd have characters silently mouthing words constantly because apparently Japanese people in anime/video games cannot stay silent for 5 seconds.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Oxxidation posted:

most do, these days
Lip sync, sure. But I meant the entire mannerisms. Over gesturing, head nodding/shaking.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

RatHat posted:

Ending at Kalm would also let it have a bit of postgame with the chocobo farm and probably some extra stuff and a hidden superboss or two.
I doubt it. All signs have said it ends at Midgar, none of the leaks showed any post-Midgar assets either.

Fister Roboto posted:

Vincent and Yuffie will be DLC characters :twisted:
I mean they basically already were - I beat it the first time without ever recruiting either. And they're never in any of the CGI cutscenes for obvious reasons.

Kheldarn posted:

It's gonna have a world map, just like Final Fantasy XV.
I was thinking FFX. A traditional world map with random encounters can't possibly happen with the current battle system unless they really wanna go full "pause the action while it loads a separate scene, zoom in, finish battle, zoom back out to world map".
Or maybe they will do that to keep it closer to the original, if the transitions are quick enough it might actually not be too annoying.

But either way, surely they won't have it as "party silently travels between towns, dumps an hour of story, then back to silently travelling" like the original

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Kheldarn posted:

I'm gonna put this behind spoiler tags for those who didn't watch the demo footage:
Yeah but FFXV doesn't have a world map. It has a couple of large areas (certainly not spanning the globe like previous games) and nothing to actually join them.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Elephant Ambush posted:

Welp gotta watch Jojo on principle now
I'm refusing to watch Jojo on principle because every second reddit post is IS THIS A JOJO REFERENCE

Kith posted:

The only time catching Chocobos is relevant is:

1) Crossing the marshes when you can't handle the Zolom, something that lasts for five to ten minutes at most and then is never relevant again
2) Breeding for races, something that only matters if you care about the racing minigame (which you cannot actually access until you're on another continent)
3) Breeding for a vehicle to access postgame items, which you don't actually need (and also cannot successfully do until you're on another disk at the earliest)

I'd be fine with it if it was a completely optional side content sort of deal like it was in FF9, but it's not. It's a forced speedbump that rattles the game's otherwise decent pacing and narrative coherence.
Yeah, it really should have just been a "talk to Choco Billy, you get loaned one for crossing the swamp" event. I guess they wanted to force the player to learn how to catch one for your points 2 and 3.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 9, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Zarin posted:

Even if KOTR boosted the final form of Sephiroth to some level, it really didn't matter; it wasn't like you couldn't just cast it every turn or something
Well unless you mastered it (takes a poo poo load of grinding) or you got Mime, you in fact couldn't do that.

And if you've grinded enough to get Master Summon or even just Mastered KOTR so now you have two, you aren't going to have a challenge with the final boss anyway.

I hope when/if they get to part 2 or 3 and have KOTR, it's a similarly long animation that triples the length of the battle.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

GoGoGadget posted:

People in this thread go on and on about how anything beyond the original game gets Aerith wrong...but then they say dumb stuff like the past page. Pretty sure you don't know what Aerith was like if you think she's the type to be packing heat and smoking blunts.
But she was the slum drunk??

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Man, can't believe it's still like 6 weeks away. Got one KO in the demo on normal (but wasn't staying at full HP).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ymgve posted:

Just played through the Midgar part of the original FF7, and I really hope there is some content beyond that in the remake, or the game will be like 6 hours long. Somehow that part felt much longer two decades ago.
I'm glad you brought this up, you should tell the developers immediately, as obviously they haven't thought of that. Can't believe everyone's getting excited for a 3 hour game SMH

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Can't wait to see how many things I miss that are references to the spin off games, which I never touched.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Kin posted:

Was it ever said how long this part was going to be?

I'm trying to remember all the stuff that happens in the original and if there are enough general story beats to stretch it out into 40 odd hours or however long the standard RPG is these days.

Like, that demo was just a demo but i'd say it was only maybe a bit longer than the pace of the original version

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-remake-length-chapter-ff7r

quote:

Just how long will FF7 Remake last?

Game Revolution estimates based on hands-on experience with the game that it might be close to 50 or 60 hours. The site points out that it may be shorter for those rushing through the adventure to experience the story, but believe that it could take almost three days to complete for those scouring everything FF7 Remake will have to offer.

Director Yoshinori Kitase confirmed to Game Informer in June 2019 that the amount of content in the first part of FF7 Remake is comparable to a mainline Final Fantasy. 

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I hate the new ATB. Just let me cast a spell or use a loving potion please. I’m trying to NOT die here.

Aside from that I had a good time.
Classic mode does that (ATB automatically fills) but shame its stuck on Easy

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like we had this discussion just a few days ago but give me my Xenogears remake.

But now I think on it...they'd make it an ARPG wouldn't they. Ugh.

Yeah but mecha :allears:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
People have speedran the boss without taking any damage. I think for missiles you just have to run away rather than try to dodge them.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control
This is true horror

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Sneak Lemming posted:

The kalm flashback is going to be integrated into this game during midgar
I've said that for a while, it makes no sense to have a long story dump at the start of the second part instead of trickling it through this one. Then they can have a shorter refresher in part 2 (or maybe an option for the full recap) so people can get into the game quicker.

Imagine HL1's tram ride but an hour long before you even get to do anything.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Freaking Crumbum posted:

uhhhh, for the same reason i didn't throw away the first disc when i finished it back in 97? i would assume that, if the entire city of midgard is a 100GB install, you might need that if you ever wanted to go back there? of course the games actually spanning multiple console generations also fucks with that theory. my point is there's so much unknown and it frustrates me

has SE at least confirmed how much content is going to be in the first 100GB episode? i feel like disc 1 was on a few hours on the PS1, but i am aware they're not just doing a straight port + nicer graphics. like if it's somehow a 30 hour game then i guess the $65 tag is justified; my fear is it's $65 for something that you beat in a few hours.
People have already commented on this, but the only reason that FF7 was 3 discs was the cutscenes. The entirety of the game world, script, assets (except the FMVs) etc is contained on each disc. They are also not equal in length - the 3rd disc is basically just the nothern crater. And the Midgar section of disc 1 contains ~1/3rd of the entire game script (in text length).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Starting the game, for once :australia: gets something first

So fuckin psyched

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Explicit loading screens exist (as compared to the background loading in more recent games), but even on a PS4 slim running on original HDD, it was barely 10 seconds.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

teacup posted:

I just picked up the game here in aus but stuck at work for a few more hours.

Does anyone know if there is a day one patch / how big is it... and is it even out yet considering the rest of the world won’t get the game for a while?
I didn't see any day 1 patch, especially since it's still day -9. Just copy from Data Disc (at least 30-40 min, I played Animal Crossing while waiting) and then insert Play disc.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Schwartzcough posted:

Remember what Square asked, everybody: Please don't spam the internet (or this thread) with spoilers. Preferably not even under spoiler tags! Because you know a lot of goons will be unable to resist mousing over poo poo.
Believe me, I know. I'm the type that struggles to resist reading them. Or someone will use a spoiler tag to spoil an end game thing when the rest of the replies are like chapter 1 so I feel safe reading it.

All I'm going to say so far, is that the characterisation with voice and properly modeled animations is amazing. Nobody will play this and think "oh yeah it's just a shot-for-shot remake of the original with no extra content."

I'm at 3.5 hours and I haven't even started the second bombing mission yet. Yes, of course there are side quests, but none of them so far have felt as "meh" as FF15's version (collecting frogs etc).

However, I would recommend an SSD/PS4 Pro for this. I'm getting a lot of texture pop-in/loading when running around (PS4 Slim with mechanical HDD), and some conversations are sorta frozen for a few seconds if I try to talk to them too quick, while it loads the detailed models/audio.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

TommyGun85 posted:

You know what would be really fun and not at all padding, if after the first bombing mission they make you distribute water filters throughout the slums.

At least there arent any sewer rats that need killing.

e: I spoke too soon.
Yeah I fuckin hate seeing an expanded sector 7 slums with voiced characters (even all the background NPCs without names have voiced chatter that changes as you progress), and I definitely hate having to kill enemies in a game with fun combat!! Wasn't sector 7 a single screen in the original, plus the beginners hall, 7th heaven and a shop?

Seriously though, if you're somehow expecting this remake of Midgar to be a good length without introducing new storylines and characters (whether it's from the EU or just new), or fleshing out existing characters and areas, you might be expecting too much. Instead of thinking "ugh sick of this padding, I just want to get back to the REAL content", you should maybe enjoy all of the new content you're getting???

The combat system is fun, and cloud/Tifa/Barret all feel different to play.

You only have to do 1 or 2 of the side quests to progress btw. You even get to choose!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The motorcycle guy pulled a Rubicante before his boss fight!
I love him. It's not even the most ridiculous thing to be in FF7 when you look at some of the original stuff like honeybee inn (I know it's been in trailers but I can't wait to see how they expand that whole wall market area :allears: )

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

JBP posted:

This game has zero downside it's so good
Downside: it's pushing the limits on a non-Pro that I'm getting a lot of texture pop-in and had a few pauses for loading when trying to talk to named NPCs

another downside: I know roughly when the game will end.

Also downside: my work won't close down and I can't do 90% of my job from home, I just want to play more of it!!

The combat just feels so much better than FF15 even though you could say they're similar.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Couple of trophy spoilers (These trophies are not hidden, so visible once you launch the game if you look, gameplay spoiler rather than story):"Beat all chapters on Hard difficulty" - Hard was not available at the start. New Game+ mode or just new difficulty after beating the game once??
Trophy for possible max level: "Reach level 50"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

TontoCorazon posted:

Lol if you buy anything physical these days.
Lol if you have to wait till April 10 these days, and it's up to $20 cheaper in stores in the release week (JB Hi-fi, Big W sometimes)

And our stores are still open because our Prime Minister is more concerned with the economy and probably doesn't want to spend more money on paying people to be at home

I rushed to get it because also, Good Friday is a public holiday here, which means the stores wouldn't be open anyway

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Terper posted:

Quit it with the hint hint wink wink posting.
You don't have to worry about what they posted, because this game ends at the end of Midgar. There's no "wink wink" there. And if it's about the Sephiroth part of their post - it was shown in the demo end that you bump into him early, I'm sure its shown even more in the later trailers (which I haven't watched because I'm playing the game!!)

ymgve posted:

are 60 floors of stairs still in the game
Yes, it was shown in earlier trailers and it showed a floor indicator next to each character.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 4, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

exquisite tea posted:

A modern JRPG with a runtime of only 40 hours is a mercy.
Agreed. Persona 5 took me 120 hours to beat, I was trying to get all trophies in one playthrough and I hosed it up and need to replay. That will never happen. I enjoyed the game but started to feel like a slog by the end.

But based on my current FF7R playthrough, I won't be replaying to get the (difficulty based) achievements here. There's a couple of bosses so far that have had me using all my items, literally down to the last phoenix down and mega potion. I guess I'm just bad at this game, but I don't wanna bump it to Easy unless I have no choice.

I guess I'm just missing something (a brain?) because I was able to kill one boss without issue (figure out pattern etc) but then the next one just keeps killing me. Maybe I'm underlevelled because I haven't done any grinding at all but based on a few events, it feels like I should be higher level.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the boss battles are (mostly) extremely well designed. You can brute force them but if you pay attention and learn how the mechanics for each battle work they become a lot smoother and swifter. It feels really good because once you learn what you need to do you're styling on the boss.
Wall market boss spoiler - I couldn't figure out the ---hell house-- at all. Like I read the Assess description, but it felt like vulnerability windows were too small and I kept loving up and healing it or doing little damage. I was down to my last Phoenix Down, if I ran out I would have restarted the fight and bumped it down to Easy cause I just couldn't get the rhythm.

I've also had a few bosses where my characters would get ressed and then immediately die because they were too stupid to move out of the way I was too dumb to take control of them and get out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

exquisite tea posted:

I just bought the Regular Edition for this game because while I have some nostalgia for FFVII, I don't got 20 extra bux of cactuar nostalgia.
Neither Cactuar or Chocobo chick are worth it alone, but the art book and mini soundtrack is pretty cool. And a steelbook with Sephiroth!

However, Cactuar and Chocobo Chick can be summoned in smaller areas compared to the main summons. They do way less damage but can still be good for getting a stagger or interrupting an enemy.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Shoehead posted:

Oh hey I totally missed that there's a girl at the watch building in sector 7 who gives you rewards based on your kills. Would have been handy to know
I mean she is yelling out THE TALLY OF SLAIN MONSTERS HAS BEEN UPDATED or whatever repeatedly (was 30 hours ago for me), and there's a big scoreboard which updates. Did you (and others) not think to go over and talk to her?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Oh good, encountered a softlock in Chapter 16 (Shinra Tower), no story spoiler if you've played the original: Once you climb into the vents in the toilet, attempting to view the flavour chatter (before the main one as per the original game) with Triangle will get you stuck there - it will say "Circle: Back" but it does nothing, you can view the map but no other button does anything, shame the autosave was before a longish VR battle, don't really wanna repeat it again.

Tried it twice to the same effect.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Mailer posted:

Well Chapter 17 may have been boiled rear end but it ended with the best the game has felt combat-wise. The cutscenes were great too for the rest of the game.
I dunno, i hated a few of the boss fights there, I couldn't figure out the "proper" way to kill (Chapter 17 Rufus and his dog - ended up Sleeping the dog, running in circles until ATB was full, casting Fira on it, until it died. Then running in circles until Rufus reloaded but was close enough to me to use Braver so I could stagger him. But this still didn't feel like the right way because it was unfun and took like 10+ minutes. and then the boss after it The Arsenal - I just hid behind pillars slowly chipping away the little robot's health until they all died, and then fighting the main one, took forever because I couldn't lock onto the "Weak Points" to do extra damage.

I'm just bad at the game, I might check out Hard briefly but I get the impression I will ragequit very quickly.