Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm in the middle of the game, Sector 5 slums, running around and doing random poo poo before heading off to Wall Market. Game is beautiful, sounds great, VO's are on point, enough is changed that I'm super intrigued, and the combat system is something I want them to patch into FFXV.

Game is loving good, ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That Hell House fight was brutal. Good god.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They're all pretty mediocre; only XII and XV dared to do different. The former is divisive as gently caress, the latter is universally derided

Lol, FFXV being universally derided. I will die on the hill that FFXV is a good game. Not perfect by any means.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm not even to chapter 14 yet, but by far, BY FAR, the worst parts of the game are the ones that have anything to do with Johnny.

gently caress that shitbag. God, what a useless rear end in a top hat.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just beat (chapter 14) the behemoth underneath the slums. That was a tough, but really fun fight. I'm sure next time I face it, I'll be able to get by without using all of my phoenix downs.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Nail Rat posted:

The constant "uh" "gasp" "eeeh" sounds bother me but it is what it is, it's a super anime game, I got used to it (while still being bothered) a long time ago.

I don't understand why that's a thing in anime, maybe it's to try to "add depth" to a scene without much dialogue if the animation wasn't detailed enough? I'm sure we have an anime historian or ten here who knows.

I didn't notice that much in this game, but I definitely noticed in FFXV, where every time I filled up on gas it was accompanied by grunts and sighs like I was telling Noctis to do suicides up some stadium steps or some bullshit.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Finally started my hard mode run and wow, it quickly showed how bad I really am at this game. Normal, you can almost button mash your way through. Lack of item access makes it so much harder and yet so much more satisfying when you take out a tough enemy. The Scorpion killed me a few times before I was able to skate by with Barret dead and Cloud under 2k HP (and Cloud's mocking of Barret the entire time was fantastic).

Now I'm in the middle of sidequesting in chapter 3, and I have to ask - can I just sell all these worthless items then? Since I can't use them, might as well get some gil that will be completely useless once I buy all the materia I want, right?

Good game, remains good.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

d0grent posted:

My friend covered the FF7 boss music in the style of Doom and it's siiiiiiiiiiiick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIkJFi6uqY

:krad:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I think that's what both surprised and delighted me about FF7R. It was so easy to gently caress it up, to give into the stereotypes for the characters that have been built up for over 20 years - Tifa being brash and brassy, Aerith being demure and shy, Cloud being uber-stoic and badass. All which are not supported in the original FF7 at all, but gamers are morons.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I re-installed this game and I'm still a bit boggled by how good it ended up being, from the opening shot for shot remake of the bombing mission, to the additions, the music, the battle system, everything is just so clean and works so well. Without a massive day one patch necessary.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
How seductive that would be - working for a giant, evil corporation run by aasholes, but telling yourself you’re one of the good ones.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I think what really just put up a roadblock for me in FFXIII was when characters acted certain ways and I had zero idea why. I was willing to roll with it until I discovered the characters motivations are literally spelled out in a little chapter summary buried in menus and it was a real wtf moment. If anyone is curious (early FFXIII spoiler) it's why Hope was super angry at Snow. I didn't know Hope blamed Snow for the mom's death until I read the summary of the chapter. I feel like that could've been communicated to me in a different way. Through something crazy like dialogue between Hope and Lightning or something.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I always thought it was implied that when you travel back to the open world after Altissia, it was a story telling conceit of "this happened too, we're just flashing back to see it occur now".

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
It deals with dark themes but it’s definitely not what I consider a dark game. Silent Hill, Spec-Ops The Line, Papers Please are dark games.

One of your party members in FF7 is a talking cat plushie. Not to mention all the ridiculous things already listed.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I do remember back in 97/98 when FF7 first came out, that was a big debate amongst my friends who played it - what happened at the end. I remember one of my friends absolutely despised the ending because he was convinced it was proof that Holy failed and Meteor killed everything and everyone except Nanaki and cubs.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
The worst thing about FF7R is Johnny and all the times you're forced to interact with Johnny and pretty much any time Johnny is speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Only speaking for myself, he grates like a fresh piece of sandpaper on a dried up broken log. Every time he was on screen I was cringing.