Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a link to any of the spoilers? I don't have a PS4 but I want to know whats changed or what the plot is I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jassa posted:

Does anyone know if saves for this game can be transferred back-and-forth between PS5 and PS4 at the moment? I started playing it on PS5 recently but all of next month I'll be visiting my parents and will only have access to a PS4. It'd be cool if I could continue playing it on PS4, then come back to resume it on PS5 after my trip.

...or perhaps I should just bench the game until the PS5 upgrades come through.

I think you can since the PS5 would read it as a PS4 save. Just upload to the cloud.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
AZUL THE CERULEAN

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s out in America, downloading now from psn tab all the way on the left ps5 menu

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man it looks so nice in 60 fps

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
When you have the ps4 play disc you can get the ff7 remake ps5 upgrade for free. You’re downloading the whole new ps5 version of the game, not a patch.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thundarr posted:

What sort of fps does Intergrade pull if you set graphics to optimize for 4K rather than for 60fps?

if you do 4k it drops to 30 fps

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well the good thing is, Square seems to be making sacrificial final fantasy spinoffs to suck all the lovely Nomurageneric stuff away from their prized VII line

tfw you realize other people in square involved with ff7 are also psychos

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
All I remember from Crisis Core was the god awful dice mechanic

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
AZUL THE CERULEAN

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think we all saw that coming too when Cyberconnect2 was announced as the main developer for it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

everyone knew this already

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

FFXII is Star Wars if we never left the droids' POV

^

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Moola posted:

I played 40 hours of XIII and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the characters motivations or plot, other than "Pulse" "El'Cie" "Cocoon"

Lightning used to be a soldier I think? I have no idea what kind of soldier and why she left

Ah i see you didn't read the data logs

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

No, it was a response to the designer saying "she's the first female protagonist in FF!" And people were like, but what about Terra and Celes, and arguably Yuna and Ashe? To which the response was "well those were more ensemble games..." Which.... so is XIII, honestly. She's obviously the "face" of the XIII games, but the way the game is structured really doesn't make her the nucleus around which everyone else revolves.

I know that this is gonna be hard to hear but Tidus and Vaan are the main characters you play as in ffx and ff12

Yuna is the main character in ffx-2 thank you and god bless

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Why would you bother playing a game that you were so checked-out of the plot thereof?

Because it was a long awaited game that spearheaded the HD era of final fantasy

E: I think I played 50 hours, got to pulse. got bored and never went back. That or got stuck on a boss and just never went back around Gran Pulse

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its actually really easy to figure out who the main character in a game is. Its the one you control.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

so how bout that Final Fantasy VII Remake huh

Actually I did have a question brought on by my recent replay. For the most part the Whispers always show up specifically when events threaten to derail the whole story (Cloud not going on the Sector 5 Reactor raid, or killing Reno before he can drop the plate, Hojo spilling the beans early, etc.). What I'm not entirely clear on is what they were doing with Aerith in chapter 2. Was she about to leave and they were keeping her in place so she'd meet Cloud? And then later it seems like she's sticking around too long so they scare her off?

The main character? yeah its Cloud

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

It's actually Tifa because she's the most fun to control

Yeah well lots of characters are more fun to control in most final fantasy games. That doesn't make them the lead/main character though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

That makes sense. The people I really can't understand are the people who play through a FF game and admit that they didn't understand the plot at all.

I mean for final fantasy 13, that criticism is one I super agree with. Like yeah sure I eventually kinda knew and figured out what was happening, but the game itself was not giving it any favors. You're thrown into the story, in media res, and a lot of poo poo is popping on the data logs and its like. Who the gently caress wants to stop playing and read these data logs????

The story is already confusing, the characters are also confusing or cryptic on purpose. The story details are basically drip fed to you slowly. Its hard to even get a grasp of who the actual main villain is for a very long time. 13 was the game where honestly they just decided to be very weird and complicated and ultimately forgot how to tell a story.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I’m just glad we’ve moved past the era of “we created all these expensive unrelated FMVs and assets, can you write a story around them” production. That was half of XIII’s issue.

The other half? Spending years on that godforsaken Crystal engine

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The kind of damning thing about 13 is that, in terms of gameplay, it was basically tailor-made for me. I like linear RPGs with lots of cutscenes. The more linear, the better. I want to go down endless corridors disguised as fancy set-pieces. And it had fantastic graphics for an early PS3 game.

But I still just lost interesting half-way through the game.

Yeah I think Square was basically looking at triple A games in the west and was like: we can do that with Final Fantasy. It really makes sense that they did that since FF is usually the most accessible JRPG outside of dragon quest and pokemon and its essentially the one with the most budget. I don't think they were able to perfect this until FF7 Remake, which truly feels like what if the Last of Us was an action rpg.

E: as to losing interest half way through: I think the pacing in 13 is really really really bad imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Why can I not skip dialogue in cutscenes. I have to skip the entire thing and figure out what happened afterwards.

its a cutscene OP

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

search engine posted:

I don't mind the plot diverging from the original but it is handled in an incredibly stupid way.

95% of the game: ugly kingdom hearts looking ghost swarms intervene in every other cut scene, robbing basically everyone's actions of any importance. Characters go "huh, fate is immutable can't do anything about that"
last 5% of the game: "wait never mind for some reason now we can and will change fate!"

I tried to digest it as some kind of meta commentary on remaking games and retelling stories but ultimately it just sucked a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me.

You need to fight ghosts in your brain that are putting these things that didn’t happen in there cuz goddamn bro

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Aerith owns, Tifa owns

simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Clarste posted:

But a significant number of people who played FF7 are Japanese, where it was written phonetically with the correct pronunciation. Arguably more FF fans know the correct pronunciation than otherwise.

are you saying there are more japanese ff7 fans than any other country? Didn't it like sell more in the US alone?