Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Speedball this loving game into my veins immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What's with all the naked hairless people in the screens, lmao

Placeholders are so weird sometimes

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If anything it is a teeny bit lame that the box art, title and cover doesn't say anything about its episodic format. I think there's going to be a few people upset when the game ends at the city's edge and the world opens up.

Maybe call it ffvii part one or something

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If it makes you feel better, a lot of us English don't really have a great grasp of it either.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah a lot of games from Japan have Japanese mannerisms and it looks odd with English VAs. Monster Hunter is a big example, they do that exaggerated nodding all the time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I really liked the chocobo ranch though. After the balls-to-the-wall action of Midgar, being out on the ranch in the lush green countryside with that jaunty music was a real palette cleanser. FFVII is full of perfectly timed breaks in the action like that. The ranch after Midgar, the rocket town after the horrific death march from Nibelheim, etc. Catching a chocobo takes precisely one battle and had a clear payoff in being able to easily avoid the zolom, so I don't feel it was a speed bump, just something slightly different to do along the way, keeps the player engaged and thinking.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

so many people who don't realize shinra blew up the reactor in the original game too

Talk to Jessie in the inn after the first bombing run and she tells you she must have made a mistake with the bomb, it went off way bigger than it should have. And Shinra implies the same thing with his waste of fireworks comment on the second bombing run

It's a lot more subtle in the first game and a lot of the comments in this thread so far is a good example of why square made it much more clearer this time around

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Of curse I know how popular FFVII was but for some reason this fact never really hit me until somebody pointed it out...

This is the single biggest video game remake of all time. The original game was super popular and has maintained its legacy all these years, having people clamor for a remake for over a decade. It's got the hype and the demand.

Nothing else even comes close that I know of.

I think only a MGS1 or Demon's Souls remake could come close. And both of them have been regularly rumored as bluepoint studio's PS5 game for a while now.

FFVII definitely is the biggest name in remakes though, not many games with its legacy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Speaking of tutorials, is it possible to disable them in the demo?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Elentor posted:

Please just give me vagrant story, please.

It's absolutely criminal that arguably the PS1's finest game is left all alone by itself, but that's probably not a bad thing.
I don't think Square could match the atmosphere, writing or general ambiance of that game again. That's not to diss on Square who are obviously doing a fantastic job with FFVII remake - it's just REALLY hard to recreate the vibes VS gave off

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If this sells well they ain't gonna make ff6 remake they will just make more ff7 instead. The lead producer straight up admitted it as such.

quote:

Final Fantasy 7 is a game which, if it just stayed as the original, would just be remembered as something from the past and people wouldn’t be as engaged with it. I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it as we’re doing now. And in 10 years time, 20 years time, it may need to be done again! So even if this is the only thing that I do in the rest of my career, I won’t be disappointed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-developer-want-the-saga-to-/1100-6474177/

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

If they remade Vagrant Story, the only review that would make me not buy it would be "this game will kill your dog"

Hmmm... hm... I think it would only take me a couple of days to get over that. Then it's Guildenstern-smashing time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't even know what's agency work.

I did it while at uni. Basically you're cannon fodder, but the pay is ok for what you have to do. You sign up to an agency in town, and they ring you and tell you to go to X company for a week or so, doing simple tasks such packing or bottling. In the UK they're called temps. Most temps are from abroad, as its a quick and easy way to find work.

It's dreaded zero hours contracts but you almost always get your 40.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Viridiant posted:

Didn't Jessie mention in the remade first bombing mission that they have a contact in Shinra? I was thinking that could be Reeve.

I doubt that, Reeve was a spy whose cover wasn't revealed until he blackmailed the party at the gold saucer much later on.
My guess is that the undercover contact is a character new to the remake. My other super long-shot guess? The major of Midgar who was sick of Shinra (and gave Cloud free stuff during his break-in to the headquarters) in the original

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nomura looks and acts exactly like I imagined he would

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Hair is REALLY hard to do in games, you're probably referring to the dithering effect which simply makes it cheaper to render

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Zushio posted:

I still know people subscribing to the whole "All of MGS2 was a VR Simulation" theory.

It wasn't far off, the entire Raiden mission was a fake from start to finish. The vr theory is a misunderstanding or misinterpretation more than anything else

MGS2 was panned for about a decade after it came out, it's aged like wine and I think it's a masterpiece now

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think Fort Condor served to show you how bad Shinra was outside of Midgar, it's the first time you confront them after leaving the city and you're trying to stop them from harming a rare condor because it's just getting in the way of their reactor operations. It continues the whole eco-warrior theme of the game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

I was excited about this game until I saw just now that it wasn't going to be the full game. No way in hell am I buying this. Maybe I'll wait 2-3 years until you can get the complete story for 30 bucks

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

infraboy posted:

Will we have to shell out money for every episodic release?

Take my money I guess Square Enix.

yet another one

It's a full-length mainline Final Fantasy that just happens to tell the story of the Midgar chapter of the original instead of being Final Fantasy XVI

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That character design is woeful and too emblematic of the dearth of imagination & creativity that has plagued post-FFX era

Don Corneo is a scummy don in a seedy part of the midgar slums, his right hand lackey would look a bit meaner than some k-pop twink.
I've seen old babushkas that are way more intimidating

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

infraboy posted:

Is it too early to speculate that they would do an FF8 remake? They could probably use a similar combat system instead of the old draw system, the game did have some spectacular settings and soundtrack as well.

Oh boy. Not for many years. A decade at minimum.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nairbo posted:

I'm probably fine to use an OG PS4 with this game instead of upgrading to a Pro if I'm using a 4K OLED TV, right? I haven't really used my PS4 in years since getting a new 4K TV but my understanding is that it'll have HDR support in 1080p but not 4k - is there *that* much of a noticeable difference between the old and newer consoles? I'll definitely be getting a PS5 for the future releases FWIW

Do you mean is there much of a difference between 1080p and 4k? The HDR is going to be the same on either console but the resolution difference is enormous. It's four times the pixel density

The game uses TAA and some sharpening post-process on top so even a 1080p output will look good on a 4ktv anyway. Post-processing has come a long way in this generation

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

They'd have to tell Sony to get ready earlier than normal, something tells me they can't do that easily. Paperwork, getting the infrastructure ready, having support and networking staff on hand in case things go wrong etc. I'd love to see an early release but I think it's unlikely

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Will this game have a preload? It's quite large, and Sony are limiting speeds.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I recognize the 'goons eat goons' thread phase anywhere, it's usually after the game honeymoon period not just before release tho

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

ErrEff posted:

30 FPS like the PSX original.

the battles were 15fps in the original and the menus & minigames were 60

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Things that irritate the gently caress out of me: ATB gauges being used up even when the ability/spell doesn't get cast because the character got attacked

And also what's going on with the slum areas? They look completely unfinished, like an upscaled PS1 game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's everywhere in the slums... running it on SSD too. The weirdest thing is that they have modelled the roundest, nicest barrels that surely takes up thousands of polys, and put it against a ghastly 12x12 texture cliff face. It's best described as inconsistent.

The most obvious is when tifa shows cloud the flat. The door right there looked like it came off the N64.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a fast way to heal everyone? It takes a long time to give people potions 1 at a time.

Out in the field unfortunately no, unlike the original where you could use potions and cure magic from the inventory.
In battle you got some options such as pairing magnify and healing materia (magnify is the same as 'all' materia from the original) or the 'prayer' command materia which is incredibly powerful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Chapter 8 with its oblivion-level stilted dialogue/NPCs, poor graphical issues, bad layout and abysmal voice acting (kids are never a good fit for this kind of game) is easily the worst part of the game, but oh boy once you soldier on past it, the game shoots into the stratosphere.

I wish they gave this chapter a second pass, looking back on the game. It's an ugly spot on an otherwise pristine game. The Turks are a standout obviously

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Square said they had a patch in the hopper for the shoddy textures

Where

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I like how the only legitimate strategy for tonberry is to literally burn through all your phoenix downs while hitting the little fucker as hard as you can, as much as you can, before you run out. I thought there was a hidden trick to it. There isn't.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't understand the hate. Cast Aero at them and they get dizzied, then do a few melee attacks and they stagger and melt.

The issue is that sometimes those guys (and other aerial enemies as well) tend to fly about a lot in the air, so your aero spells tend to whiff. I've had a few frustrating encounters with helicoptor guys and drakes because of this

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You quickly learn to rely on pray, chakra and drain spells on hard mode

Chakra is one of those things that seem bad at first but it's very useful

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Can anyone explain on the summon meter actually works? Cause it'll just randomly start charging and I don't know what triggers it.

I would like to know this as well. It feels like the summon bar appears when you're getting hurt a bit, and not every party member's summon is available. Many times I could only choose one of them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

People overlooking FFXII on best FF discussions always makes me

Matsuno trumps Nomura every single time and all non-believers must be scourged off the Earth

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I like to think it smells like a cross between petrol and mint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

All was ridiculously OP in the original, I'm not surprised there's only one per playthrough.

edit: and apparently there isn't even one in the second playthrough, wow. Just a hard limit of one, ever.