Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Didn't Jessie mention in the remade first bombing mission that they have a contact in Shinra? I was thinking that could be Reeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Priestly posted:

I don't remember her saying that, was it missable? If you're referring to the dialogue before the elevator ride, it sounds like Jessie was talking about getting information from other parts of Avalanche that didn't join Barret's crew when they split.
Dialogue from the demo below, spoilered just in case.

This is what I was thinking of, thanks! You're right.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

CapnAndy posted:

Crisis Core is superb. Prequels are not easy and it does everything right: it uses the foregone conclusions for dramatic tension, makes you care anyway, and actually clarifies some of the more confusing elements of FF7 and retroactively makes it better. Plus it's a good game; the combat is satisfying and the slot machine mechanic could have been idiotic but instead it's a lot of fun and the way they use it at the end is legitimately heartbreaking. I'm holding out hope it gets a remake too, or at least a remaster. It'd be a neat thing to include in Remake 3 or whatever the last one is.

Anyway, the game is absolutely great so far and the new plot elements are interesting. Spoilers for late Chapter 1/early Chapter 2: I'm not sure I love Shinra using your ultimately failed attack to false-flag themselves, especially if the game wants to rub your nose in the catastrophe right after. I'd feel bad if it was my fault, but you just showed me it wasn't, so instead... yeah, yeah, Shinra is bastards, that's got a lot less emotional weight.

Also I just want to lay down this guess because if I'm right I'm gonna feel really smug: I'm really wondering if putting "Remake" in the title is actually a clue. Hallucinated Sephiroth talking about "her body yielding to cold steel" could be referring to swatting Tifa away in Nibelheim, but... that wasn't with his sword? And that's not really the words I'd use to describe it? But what it does describe well is the literal first thing anyone thinks of when it comes to Sephiroth, especially Sephiroth in conjuction with a "her". Is he talking about killing Aerith? And if weird future knowledge is in play, I wonder if the robed smoke figures are maybe the original party, trying to reach back and alter events? Are they trying to save Aerith? Is someone, or multiple someones, trying to literally Remake Final Fantasy 7?

Sephiroth absolutely "swats" Tifa away with his sword. He slashes her right across the torso and sends her flying down the stairs.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I know that you gotta sync 100% with a weapon to gain its weapon ability for good, but are the various skills such as the stat boosts you gain from each weapon skill tree permanent no matter what weapon you have equipped?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

DeathChicken posted:

I choose to believe Marle is in fact Chrono Trigger Marle and being a cranky old slumlord is where she ended up in life

I'm relieved I finally get to hear that name spoken in a Square game, feeling vindicated that I was using the correct pronunciation.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The Huntsman is very slow about turning around so I just kept rolling behind him and wailing away.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Man, people these days really don't expect something this good from Square to actually be real, especially not a Final Fantasy game. There was a lot of pessimism about this game coming out and now that it has and seems pretty good I'm seeing a lot of pessimism about the series continuing.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

HD DAD posted:

SE really seems to have a thing about lovingly modeling barrels. See XIV 1.0.

I think back to art class and its love of having us draw a lot of cylindrical and spherical objects and wonder if barrels are a part of that for graphic design.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Holy poo poo I loving hate Fat Chocobo. It combines two of my most hated elements of boss fights I hate: adds, and enemies that spam immobilizing effects.

Edit: The complaining on the internet strategy worked, I beat him right after making this post.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 18, 2020

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Wow, I loved the Hell House fight. What an absolute blast.

Also Aerith is a healing beast, I don't even need to use Cura with her, her version of Cure still heals for most of our hp and saves me a lot of mp.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah Braver didn't work for me for whatever reason so I wrote it off too and settled on another skill that seemed to work well enough, I forget which.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly I didn't even get that vibe so much. Sephiroth wanted to cause a big enough wound to the Planet that he could absorb the Mako it bled and bootstrap to godhood - and judging by both the summons and Minerva in Crisis Core, apparently this is a viable plan and divine beings do exist on Gaia. Going off Aerith's lines about Sephiroth and how she says he would say he's going to save the Planet, it seems entirely likely this is a weird-rear end post-hoc Jenova-tainted rationalization for the Jenovoid drive to assimilate other worlds. Sephiroth does seem to think he's the hero, at least in some respects, protecting the legacy of the Ancients from the ravages of modern man.

I'm not even sure it's implied that Meteor would kill all life or even all humanity. It would just elevate a new, terrible god over them.

Yeah you're right, I think the "all humanity" bit was purely Holy's contribution to the mix.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The song when Tifa and Aerith are beating them up is one of my favorites in the game.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I definitely have had way more excited conversations with my friends about FFVII Remake stuff than I would have if they'd done a much more faithful remake. They took a gamble but it paid off big.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Do you get promoted in SOLDIER when you do more teamkilling or less?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Wutai being in the next game fits with my theory of all of the Weapons being part of the main story in the third installment rather than being bonus bosses, like how Yuffie and Vincent have been integrated into the main story.

I figure each one will attack a different place. Diamond and Sapphire attacking Midgar and Junon like in the original. While Ruby attacks the Golden Saucer, Emerald attacks Wutai, and Ultimate attacks...either Rocket Town or Mideel like in the original and it actually sticks around for a fight this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wouldn't you have Ultimate attacking Cosmo Canyon since that's where the last fight for it is in the original?

I kinda figured the Weapons would be cool with Cosmo Canyon it's just a chill place that loves the planet.

But you're right I completely forgot about that.