Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Yeah I wonder if they'll change Nibelheim to Niflheim too.

Probably not. Nibelheim is deliberately spelled that way in Japanese (ニブルハイム niburuhaimu) vs Niflheim (ニフルハイム nifuruhaimu). Just like Midgar deliberately dropped the 'd' in Japanese (ミッドガル middogaru vs ミッドガード middoga-do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

What about the Midgar Zolom?

Can't find any standard transliteration of Midgardsormr, but the one in game is spelled kind of like Midgar's Worm (ミドガルズオルム midogaruzuorumu), and this is the same spelling used in subsequent FF games, so it's either the standard transliteration or Square's just sticking with it because of FFVII.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It might also be that the Head of Weapons Development (AKA Scarlet) is obsessed with huge materia and straight up doesn't care about run-of-the-mill summon materia. Like she thinks Titan is trash when she finds it in Gongaga and leaves it behind.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

I've got 82 hours put into the game and I even I don't get Tempest. Saw someone on reddit say it kicks in after several seconds but I haven't noticed the numbers make themselves more useful than square-spamming.

I've found it's her best option for gaining ATB while an opponent is staggered, or to charge it up, then switch out to another character while it procs in order to have bonus damage/hitstun for whoever's going in for melee. It's her most damage-dealing option for no ATB, as well. But like for one-on-one stuff or fast moving enemies, her regular moves build ATB just fine.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pro stair-climbing tip: If you set the camera so that it repositions behind you as you move, you can snap a rubber band on your analog stick diagonally at a certain angle and only have to rarely adjust it and still climb as many flights of stairs as you want stress-free!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, what he said. Though I do have to addendum it looks like you shoot the same shots no matter how full it is before max. I thought it changed but that was probably in the heat of battle mixups going on, ha.

Yeah, it's just a time limit before it levels down one level automatically. At top level, if you use Unbridled Strength again, it just refills it to max.

In addition to changing up her Triangle attack, high chi meter levels increase the length of her combo. If you have max level, she actually has a different set of combo finishers that can pressure opponents (and may or may not slam certain flying opponents down to the ground). Her new combos also appear to make her ATB charge even faster somehow.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Uh don't you need to do both parts of the questline but you can only one at a time?

Chapter 9: You need to do all of Chapter 8's sidequests to get Aeriths' best dress. The split questline changes which of Cloud's dresses are available.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I recall that probably half the fat jokes were Wedge making them at his own expense and not feeling any insecurity about it.

Which is kind of the same as the original, where he calls himself a roly-poly due to eating too much of Tifa's cooking (because it's so good).

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wedge has like 20 lines in the original. This is practically his longest conversation (when you talk to him in Seventh Heaven, one of the few times you can have optional interactions with him):

quote:

Wedge
Oh, Cloud!
Tifa really knows how to cook. Mmm, mmm......
Anyway, let me tell you somethin'

About what?

Wedge
Tifa always lets me taste her cooking.
And look at me now, I'm rolly-polly.
Don't know whether I should be happy or sad. But it's the good food and drinks that make this shop famous.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Adus posted:

I remember that now, though I can't remember if they implied the group we've been following now in this different universe. If so, are there going to be two Clouds and Tifas, etc?

I think it's pretty much safe to say everything is speculation and no one will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Stamp has his own theme song. What does Biggs have?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile, when's the next place that would make a good conclusion for a standalone game? Leaving Midgar is a big, climactic moment in the original game and makes a natural spot to place the conclusion of a standalone game. The next moment like that is... quite a ways away.

My speculative stopping point for Part 2 is after Temple of the Ancients. We finish off with the Demon Wall, Cait Sith dies and comes back, Sephiroth is actually there again, and Aerith leaves the party permanently.

The next game starts off with Cloud dreaming about Aerith running off through the sleeping forest into the City of the Ancients and wakes up in Gongaga, picking up more Zack storyline while they're at it. Other than the big thing, nothing of interest happens in the City of the Ancients, so I imagine that will actually have new plot.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

What's so great about Disorder? It seems like a slightly fancier mode-switch that burns an ATB bar. I don't get it.

Disorder can pressure lighter enemies, actually builds up a bunch of ATB still, does a ton of damage, and doesn't require you to stop attacking in order to mode switch, essentially. Also it's very strong.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah they didn't bother to introduce Stamp as Shinra propaganda until after that line. It was weird.

There's a poster in the train station hidden in one corner that let's you see him before he's introduced, but yeah. It's super missable, and in the demo, I thought Stamp was some slang thing I'd never heard about.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna see Cait Sith as a full-on beast master type class. Triangle is manipulate, and is basically just Cait Sith jumping from the moogle and riding on the enemies.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

In my experience, the AI was usually so good at avoiding damage that I would just keep switching to different characters to let them deal with the damage while I built ATB. Then I'd switch away to let the AI heal using the ATB I just got, while drawing attention away with the other character. Like, sometimes they'd eat some damage that could've been avoided, but in general the AI plays it really safe and blocks/avoids most attacks, making them really good at getting healing/support spells off.

Also, if your character is in a long animation you can't do anything with, switch off of them and build ATB using someone else. Who needs to watch 10 second limit break animation when you can swap to Aerith and build ATB from a distance while the enemy is stun locked.

The final boss on hard mode took me maybe five times before I started fiddling with my loadouts, then after some more abject failures, suddenly I steamrolled it and I have no idea what went differently. Probably Aerith with Magnify + Cure instead of just Pray, and Tifa with Revive. Also steadfast block. The AI works really well with steadfast block.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

To get the achievement for doing hard mode, can you drop back into normal to do things like the vr missions, so long as you go back and complete each chapter on hard, even if it's broken up and out of order?

You get a "Chapter X Completed on Hard Mode" type popup when it registers the completion, and you can't swap out the difficulty from the system menu during Hard mode, so as long as you get to the end of the chapter after picking Hard mode when selecting it (or continuing from the previous chapter), you're guaranteed the completion for it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone have a rec for a good FF7 original video let's play?

I remember this one by SnackAttack8 being good, mind it was like 5 years ago and I caught it just as he got back around to it and finished it, so I don't remember much about it. It was a blind LP if that affects your decision either way.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

2 months, actually.

I know that's the official timeline, but how the hell did she hide him/his problems for two whole months, especially when she sleeps in Seventh Heaven with the rest of Avalanche in the original game?

For the record, I'm assuming the possible replies "Next to you who wouldn't?" and "Barret's snoring kept me up" imply that Cloud, Tifa, and Barret all slept in the Avalanche underground lair where Cloud wakes up before the assault on Mako Reactor 5 and have no reason to believe Tifa would sleep there if she had somewhere else to stay.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Cait Sith's gimmick should be to ride on any of your other characters' shoulders. I don't know what that will do, but I want it.

Alternatively, Manipulate is his Triangle attack instead of a materia, and he just rides on enemies instead.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe like that first room where Jessie and Biggs are unlocking the doors?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think he acknowledges that. His point as I understand it was that the hard mode more organically forces the player's objectives to line up with the characters' objectives. That is, the hard mode player is more likely to go straight from point A to point B in tense scenes, as opposed to the normal-mode players who are more likely to just completely ignore story to explore even if the plot wants them to hurry forward, which puts them into conflict with what the characters are supposed to be doing. He thinks it would be preferable to cut out the middleman and just get the experience hard mode is trying to give you, if it were possible to do such a thing, but I don't entirely agree with that conclusion. (I don't entirely disagree either, though.)

It's hard to argue developer intent because at that point it's just a guessing game, but I do believe that the developers of this game encourage playing through the game at least twice. The New Game+, the Hard Mode unlock, certain elements of the story that beg for a second look after the ending, etc. all point in that direction.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think it counters anything that you can actually block and maybe more besides that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

On the other hand, in the original, President Shinra actually shows up in person to a reactor that they they know is being targeted, so unless he's being a massive idiot, he doesn't view them as a credible threat. Or he thinks he can get away fast enough, I guess.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hellioning posted:

XII's cast is good, it's just that they have three other people that barely matter following them around for some reason.

I'd say two and a half. Vaan is set up as a foil for Ashe with regards to using the nukes for revenge. (Unless number three was someone other than Vaan.)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

What's Sector 9?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Dreylad posted:

I hope they keep refining the battle system because Hard mode is my ideal version of the game. Maybe make items limited or equipable or something but if they have the courage to actually push the game more in that direction it'll be better for it imo.

Yeah. Hard mode felt like how the game was supposed to be played, and normal mode was just letting you familiarize yourself with the mechanics. It even pretty much maxes out your materia and levels for you!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Is there like a link or something to exactly what he argues on this? The review is like 4 hours long and I'm not dealing with that horseshit.

Seems to start right about here (2:22:03 if the timestamp doesn't work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I&t=8523s

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seraph. Safer is just one of the billion examples of weird mistranslations

You should look at what the Japanese says before you make incorrect corrections. (セーファ・セフィロス, Sēfa Sefirosu, lit. Sefer Sephiroth)

As in Sefer, the Hebrew word for book. The Book of Sephiroth.

EDIT:
To expand, Sefer is the prefix used for some books in the Hebrew Bible like Joshua, Isaiah, and Jeremiah. Seems to mostly be used for prophets.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 16, 2023

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

While we're talking about Sephiroth form names, Bizarro Sephiroth was called Reverse/Rebirth Sephiroth in Japanese.

The same Reverse/Rebirth pun from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories. The same one that's in the title of FFVII Rebirth....

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Mandoric posted:

Speaking from experience, sometimes the decision is also "those aren't the katakana I'd use, so it was probably supposed to be Legally Distinct, so I'll swap whatever else sounds best."

FFVII has a lot of funky katakana spellings. Nibelheim instead of Niflheim, Midgar instead of Midgard, and Knowlespole instead of North Pole, all of them written weird in the Japanese and so got to be funky in English too. Also Sephiroth instead of Sefirot and Jenova instead of Jehova, possibly.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Part of Sephiroth's plan was to create a wound large enough that the Lifestream would gather there to heal it and he'd absorb it, so I assume that's basically what was happening during the ending with Holy and Meteor, only no Sephiroth around to absorb it allowed it to do its job.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This is also part of why I'm wondering if Aerith living will be framed as a negative thing (at least as a temporary plot point), since IIRC she's responsible for healing Geostigma from her presence in the lifestream.

Aerith healed Geostigma with her level 4 Limit Break, which she can do while she's alive.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sure looked like she was one of them.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

During the time I was probed I came up with a new theory: Cloud isn't Cloud - even more than he wasn't Cloud before. The Cloud we've been controlling is somehow a double (possibly created by Jenova/Sephiroth or The Planet itself) , and the events of the remake happened slightly earlier than the original timeline. Zack's arrival at Midgar and battle against the Shinra army actually are happening at the same time as the battle against the Arbiter of Fate, and he's got A Cloud with him.

While this is a fun idea, I think the ending of FFVIIR doesn't agree. Zack and Cloud arriving in Midgar literally pass by Aerith during the ending movie, and she feels it happen, but nobody sees anything. I mean it could still be true, but it would make the framing of that sequence incredibly odd if it was just metaphorical instead of literally passing through the same space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't remember what Remake says about this. Does Aerith say the Promised Land doesn't exist?

Because Remake Aerith knows what everything is all about, at least more of it than the original.

In both the original and remake (english script for both), Aerith says she doesn't know if it exists or not when Tifa asks at Shinra HQ, although the exchange in the original game implies she doesn't think it's real the way Shinra does, where in the remake she comes off more ambivalent.

Further along in the original, Aerith tells Shinra the Promised Land is not what they think it is, but she also talks about it like it's a physical place in the Temple of the Ancients. She might be talking about the Lifestream, which is kind of a physical place, i guess.