Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

One of those times where I would like to flick my finger really hard against Square employees' heads.

One by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I was hoping the demo would make me like Barrett.

Nope. He’s still a dumb character, even after all these years. I’m bored of “tough rear end in a top hat” but at least he’s not a Mr. T stereotype as much.

What character changes were you looking for? I'm interested.
Better combat lines?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure you have steal equipped where you're nearing the end of the Train Graveyard segment. Haven't noticed anything else too notable otherwise.

Lol, so glad I came into this thread, took a break at the start of Graveyard

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Sapozhnik posted:

There's kind of an FFXIII-ish vibe to the combat where even for certain trash fights you're expected to figure out a particular approach and if you don't then you kind of immediately go into a tail spin and die.

You need to watch your HP and who the enemy is targeting. This is way more "action-game" than "strategic RPG game"; it's more about knowing when to press your dodge/block/attack button...also how to position your camera correctly so you can see enemy tells.

I literally beat Hell House with Nail Bat Cloud and spamming attack/pray/dodge on Aerith. I completely forgot about that boss and was just running random equipment.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
:siren: PSA: :siren: If Leviathan is beatable with less than 3.2k HP on your characters, I will tip my hat...but I'm 80% pretty sure it's not; wait until closer to endgame (Chap 15-18).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The game is good...despite some of the bosses/enemies not being thoroughly play-tested (ie: Sweepers freaking out and drifting like crazy when you flirt between mid/close range combat).
It's indicative of how this era of Final Fantasy is still pretty lame. It'll be nice when new blood enters/rises up in Squeenix Shinra...

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
^^^Everything in this game is effectively countered by Pray Materia and micro-managing your heals^^

LeafyOrb posted:

So how is this fight against 6 bloodhounds with just Tifa and Aerith even remotely doable. They interrupt anything I try to do and kill them both super fast.

Corkscrew Punch. Block. Cast Sleep.

Rinse Repeat.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
^^^Yea that works too, but interrupts / cast time is so janky in this game, imo. I still can't get over that you can miss Limit Breaks via dumb in-battle cutscnes...like when you PAUSE TO WATCH SEPHIROTH CHANGE HIS ELEMENTAL AFINITY :eyepop:^^^

I don't know if it's a good or bad sign for the quality of this combat system that I just stopped using assess once I got to level 30+ / Beat Train Graveyard.

Or maybe I just play too many Souls-games? I dunno.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 13, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

orange sky posted:

let me play.

It comes down to this.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

DrNutt posted:

I really think the combat could have used another pass when it comes to camera and notifications because it's annoying as hell to get hit by unlockable attacks from offscreen. There's a lot of poo poo to keep track of to avoid getting blindsided, even in some of the regular rear end fights.

The enemy attack notifications are way, way, way too subtle; it's especially apparent on Hard Mode where you're really just fighting against visual information (MMORPG-like floating numbers and colorful-explosions)

Darko posted:

Also, the A.I. characters need to do SOMETHING, at times. Having the characters you're not using not charging any ATB at all while you are aggroing or dodging swordipedes or whatever is just annoying. No real reason for Aerith or Barret to not just be blasting away at all times.

The game is designed around the assumption that players don't want to dodge or defend and will immediately just switch away; it's kinda weird.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Arrrthritis posted:

It's a real fun system but it's a little unclear as to the "right" way to play it.

I think it's supposed to be souls-like combat: only lock on when you are on the offensive, unlock for bigger enemies / groups. Being able to pause combat replaces traditional animation cancels in a crude way.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Harrow posted:

One thing with the combat that I know I've seen people struggle with is how hard it can be to pull out of a bad situation.

Yeah, there's very little improv in this game during combat; sometimes you just have to go in prepared.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aeris's house is a palace compared to the rest in the slums.

:guillotine:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Nope, just the cool Steel Rain song.

RatHat posted:

Is there a Day One patch? How big is it?

Nah, there's still weird texture pop-ins that haven't been fixed.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 15, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

RatHat posted:

Does actually using a materia level it up faster?

You get an AP up materia later-on and the post-game gives you better AP rewards; if you didn't know already.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The actual grind in this game is learning enemy tells.

:negative:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
All the voice acting in this game was really good (even if some of the animations didn't match up perfectly) and I dunno if that's getting enough attention.

ASenileAnimal posted:

yup. being at level cap probably wont save you from getting your rear end kicked if you get lazy and button mash.

Protip everyone: it can actual help to play with the sound off on Hard Mode in order for you to focus on what's *actually* happening. There are exactly zero-audio cues for enemies/bosses in this game anyway.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

FAUXTON posted:

dodging properly is rad as hell though

Tru, also Punisher counter-combo into 3-Hit/2-Hit Operator pokes into Disorder into Punisher counter-hit.

The combat system isn't bad at all, it's just not refined.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CottonWolf posted:

The DPS check on the first reactor boss is currently getting me on hard. It's healing for more damage than I'm putting out. I clearly need to switch up my build...

That fight is just a straight up a grind, even at level 50. You might just need to stick it out.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Clarste posted:

My assumption is that there isn't enough space for him in the room.

Never noticed this, hahaha, I so rarely use summons (ma precious ATB).

That's actually a really funny and cool limitation....intentional or not.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah the summons were one of the coolest parts of that game.
I also really, really liked the World of Ruin reveal; It would actually be awesome if FF7 Remake does something akin to that after the events in Northern Crater.

A noticeable time skip where you re-recruit the party...maybe...*cough*

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ImpAtom posted:

The World of Ruin reveal I think would have owned if you got to spend a bit more time there. I know it's due to the rush to finish the game but actually doing the WoR as a place you can explore.

I don't wanna get into a big rant about it, but a lot of the Final Fantasy games since 10 feel incredibly rushed. Even the whole Yunalesca boss-rush section at the end of 10...not to mention its really, really terrible dungeon puzzles feel at odds with how amazing the rest of that game plays.

One of the more comforting things about this remake is that there's actually a places for the team to go, story and gameplay wise.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've been wondering if the Mythical Amulet + Leviathan / Bahamut is any good on stagger.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Lmfao @ Eligor on Hard Mode.

PSA if you're doing it: kill your non healers immediately during his second phase and have them be revived -- you're perma-reflected. Pretty sure that's not part of his deal on Normal mode?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Sapozhnik posted:

Like the second time I ran into those stupid loving Sledgeworm enemies I set the difficulty down to Easy for the first time in the playthrough to smash my way through.helps a lot.

They aren't that bad when you stop meleeing and just focus on magic/range.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The plot beats in FFXV didn't have any stakes, really.
Also all four of those characters like...sort of knew each other, there wasn't room for dramatic conversation.
I mean the game is essentially Da Bois hanging out.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I was just going back to Garbodor's (lol) question: I think that a lot of what makes acting work really stand out is like dramatic material to work with.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

esperterra posted:

100% a meatier role is going to lend to better performances, though there's also something to be said for being able to do a lot with a little.

Yep, I was just thinking of how the villain in XV is sold entirely on the VA work...not by anything that dude did (steal the kingdom? Kidnap blonde kid?).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Darko posted:

Cactaur is kind of useless, but Carbuncle is great due to Hasting everyone and then putting both barriers on. It just takes too long sometimes, like all of them on certain bosses. But having all 3 bluffs had gives you means you can finally wail on things freely.

Carbuncle sounds OP if you could actually summon him freely, lol.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Depends on the fight, tbh. But this game is very offense oriented and I lean towards Tifa/Cloud.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Cloud and Tifa's Limit Breaks are basically there if you need to end the third-phase of a boss; Rufus and Rude in Chapter 12 comes to mind. All the limit breaks just leave you waaaaaay too open in most of the important fights imo.

Literally got Cloud killed during the second Abzu fight (Hard) thinking I could just limit break at the start of his third phase....nope...lol...all the little shoats killed Cloud while he was doing the start-up animation; really unexpected and funny.

Chi Ball / Starshower set-ups or Punisher-Disorder combos are way more useful.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

stev posted:

I'm wondering if I'm switching characters too frequently.

As long you're finishing combo-strings, I doubt it. It doesn't make sense to sit on one character most of the time because the AI can't be relied upon to do basic attacks.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

stev posted:

Huh, I kind of assumed you were immune while doing your limit break animation since the camera focuses in on you.

I assume in Classic it's fine, but for w/e reason it's not the case in other modes.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've been juked by the boss-phase cutscenes so many times; it's incomprehensible to me.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel like it never activates, or the threshold for it is too low. Similar to Auto-Cure.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CottonWolf posted:

But two ATB, so it's much more difficult to pull off in a pinch.

Yeah, you run it on your batteries, not your designated healer. The start-up and cast point are really low; it's basically your only saving grace in Hard Mode if you decide to do that.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
This game needs one more shortcut button: double-tap L1...or let me use the directional pad with L1, tia Nomura.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've pretty much accepted that there will be zero exploration in this Remake series if it continues. Maybe a Highwind / Gummy Ship-esque mini-game could tide some people over if you want to fly around and do stuff? Who knows...

The chapter set-up they've got going is perfectly fine.

DrNutt posted:

I don't know why people get so hung up on "open world maps" when it comes to final fantasy games. Even in the most open entries they were still just open areas between linear paths in which you could walk around and fight random battles. They've never been an elder scrolls game though. Even the first one gives you the freedom to... Uh... Walk around aimlessly until you go to the only available next location I guess?

I think, for me at least, it's the actually not-knowing where *exactly* to go.
Sometimes wandering in RPGs is fun in itself.
But you're absolutely right that Final Fantasy games aren't really about exploration.

The problem is -- and FF7:RE isn't guilty of this -- the "streamlined corridor" design of 13 (and to some extent 12 and 15) refused to make those corridors "interesting". Chrono Trigger is the perfect example of how to do a world map and dungeons that aren't "open world" at all, but still really, really fun to battle through. All the zany animations and the quick transitions into the battle system make the game really exciting despite being a go-to-point-A-and-then-to-point-B kinda game.

A more modern example might be Mass Effect 2 where you're actually more excited to goof around with your abilities than take a leisurely stroll to "find stuff".

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
hire Rockstar to create world map pls nomura, pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Hmm, I was at 40 on Normal. Different strokes; I usually try to power-level / gimmick my way to an advantage in RPGs.