Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I'm going to miss the eternal nighttime feeling of the setting. It always felt too bright when you went to corel, because it had that same filthy aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Have we seen anything in regards to Chocobos? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some chocobo racing based gambling around the wall market sector 6 stuff.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Oxxidation posted:

replaying the early parts of FF7 has me wondering what they're going to do with the shinra tower

Bear in mind that for the ps1 game the pacing made sense for there to be lots of minigames and bonus floors in shinra HQ because you went from; Don Corneo's sewers to fighting on the pillar, then immediately climb to the shinra hq. There's little in the way of a rest period between the wall market and shinra hq. It's likely that since the remake will flesh out everything and add new content, probably change old stuff, that getting from the fighting on the pillar with the turks and getting to the upper floors of shinra HQ could be hours apart.

I'm really curious how they handle the prison scenes, since we won't be topdown, I'm just wondering what it might look like.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Gutted there wont be gold saucer in Part 1

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
https://twitter.com/TheJayOfSpade/status/1233263178076872704

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I wonder if the Turks will still be leaned on for comedy value.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Elentor posted:

Lifestream raises many questions:

If you die in space do you get to return to the planet or does your spirit just wander around endlessly trapped forever in the cold nothingness?
If you die in a different planet, do you return to its lifestream or do you become a weird virus like Jenova?
At which point does your spirit become a literal liquid, are people like measuring you after your death and then suddenly you gain or lose 10 pounds worth of lemonade?
Do you get to trip balls while being sucked by a Mako reactor?

You see, these are the questions that do keep me up at night.

Obviously your lifeforce mako is pulled into whatever gravital body you are closest to. So if you die in close orbit, Gravity will pull you in and back to the lifestream. If you're near a different planet, then you're gonna end up in that lifestream.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Whats the difference between classic and normal?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

GoGoGadget posted:

The game will auto attack and defend for you in classic. You can still manually move and attack, but don't have to. Instead you focus on abilities, items and spells.

Is it also harder? I would have expected the classic mode to be more micromangey

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think that was partly my issue too i tried to do every sidequest and got burnt out

Whenever I try to play ff8 again I end up bogged down in Triple Triad and just burn out

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

oswald ownenstein posted:

Holy poo poo they’re releasing this in episodes ?

I paid no attention to it but assumed it was just a full game remake coming out

I'm not sure it was confirmed, but it was heavily implied that Episode 1 is going to be Midgar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1AVPc496o&t=593s

When you get to the end of midgar in the original, it really does feel like an ending.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

There’s some footage that looks like its from Junion, so they might go as far as the first Jenova boss

Do you have a link or screenshot? I feel like it would be shocking if Episode One went beyond Midgar

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Ignore me, I misremembered something I saw in a trailer

I mean its definitely possible that Jenova is in the game after all...

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Jenova deff will be in some capacity but I was misremembering something from a trailer and thinking it was the Bottomswell fight just before Junion but I think it was Leviathan

We've seen several summons right? I'm pretty sure I've spotted Shiva. That would indicate that summons will be in Midgar, and not spread out like in FF7. The Chocobos at the farm better still do a dance though.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
For those of you without a ps4 are you going to watch a stream of the game or a no commentary lets play?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
The plot of FF7 gets fairly convoluted, and especially filling in how Cloud got to Midgar, and the time right before that would be neat. I know it was in another media format that he basically went from the tubes to midgar and zack died getting him there, but its not really laid out very well in the game. The first time the game starts to fill in the blanks is when go to the Glacier. I think if you try to get someone familiar with FF7 to on the spot spell out the beats of the plot they get to Junon before it starts to fall apart, and the most dedicated can talk you to the Tiny Bronco. I replayed the game last year and I have trouble piecing together the plot without looking at some reference material. There is so much that could be done to connect the scenes better. Like that stupid plot with stopping Shinra from getting the Huge Materia just kinda falls apart and seems really pointless, why did we blow up that rocket again exactly? FF7 is remembered for all the neat scenes and set pieces, but the overall plot is weak, considering what people expect today.

As for thinking about where Part 2 and 3 and so on might cover, FF7 is fairly cleanly split into three parts already.
1) Midgar & Flashbacks in Kalm (which it looks like they will integrate into the Midgar section given the promo stuff)
2) Chasing Sephiroth Across the World; where you travel and visit all the major locations of the world, eventually ending up in the Glacier/Crater.
3) Revisiting different parts of the world and running around dealing with the "big crisis" and the finale.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
People always think that aeris is the big spoiler/twist in the game, when its zack who is the real spoiler/twist.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

ItBreathes posted:

Eh, Shinra is already after avalanche at the start of FF7R now, since they tried to kill president Shinra in one of the prequel games, something that wasn't true as of the original release. Jessie says it went boom bigger than expected, but it never implies Shinra had a hand in it. In original FF7 they drop the plate just to kill avalanche since they keep blowing up reactors.

It's heavily implied that Shinra are done with the Midgar project, and simply don't care anymore. They just want the promised land. Dropping the plate is more an act of malice than to shut down avalanche.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Is Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus (or before crisis) worth playing?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I guess I gotta find a ps2 emulator and check out Dirge of Cerberus then

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
From what I can gather, there seems to be contradictory lore from the different games? Like how exactly does Zack die, was he gunned down or was it a missile from a chopper?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

DeathChicken posted:

I feel like the confusion arose due to the fact they never make explicit that Sephiroth (that is the real one stuck in an ice cube) was guiding all of the Jenova/Fake Sephiroths you chase around and kill up until the final one in the North Crater

Holy poo poo i never realized this. I just thought you know, magic n poo poo, whatever.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Statistically, there's going to be some people playing The Final Fantasy 7 Remake who genuinely won't know that Aeris dies. I would love to see their reactions.

It's not even the games biggest spoiler.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I'm not sure, it looks kinda off, but perhaps I'm just a purist.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Elentor posted:

Something to always keep in mind about Final Fantasy in general is that with the exception of the unexpected success of FFXIV, the Japanese kinda don't give a gently caress about the FF series anymore.

So what? Not everything needs to be a cultural icon. It's still a Japanese game, in so much as any game made by big international companies are.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I figured this is mostly because FF15 didn't sell well when it released in Japan. How much of that is the decline of consoles and how much is it a lack of interest or marketing?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Has all gaming in general seen a big decline in JP then?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
It's more that the art design was excellent, making things look good despite the limitations.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Chieves posted:

To be fair, isn't Midgar is linear as hell, even in vanilla FF7? You really DON'T have a need to even think of backtracking through most of it- it's just setpiece after setpiece.

The wall market and sector 6 and 7 are very open and explorable.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna reveal a most terrible secret

I don't think I've ever renamed a character in an JRPG.

That's really not weird for a JRPG to be fair. Complete customization is more of a crpg thing.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
The Barret date is pretty disappointing. Yuffie date is the best date. It's platonic, its like taking your kid to disneyland, its not creepy like the aeris one, and the tifa one is the default.

I wonder if in the remake you will just get to pick.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

ItBreathes posted:

Like temp agencies. No benefits, but otherwise comparable pay, and often a company thats looking for a temp is understaffed, and it's much easier to hire the temp that's been doing the job for a while than someone else.

How do you find a temp agency?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Dell_Zincht posted:

This first installment:

Hell House (rumoured to now be a Boss Fight), Brain Pod, Eligor, Mighty Grunt (especially the transformation when they lose their "shells"), Warning Board.

Next installments:

Adamantaimai, Grangalan, Ghirofelgo, Ying/Yang, Dorky Face, Dark/Blue Dragons, Ghost Ship, Head Hunter, Magic Pot, Master Tonberry, Toxic Frog, Scissors and of course, all the Weapons.

I've been thinking a lot about how the weapons were designed after gundam mobile suits, and I've been wondering:
Should the Weapons look more mechanical, or more organic now that we will be able to see more of what they look like?

I don't remember if they confirmed in an interview if they did take inspiration from gundam or its just fan theory.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 15, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I always figured they were mostly mechanical, but with mushy fleshy bits underneath, like EVAs. Looking closely to the old FMVs though they do look like monsters don't they.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I now have all 4 huge materias and everyone's Final Limit except Cloud's because I didn't do the Battle Square yet. I have a Gold Chocobo and KotR though. My final team looks to be Cloud, Red (with Stardust Ray) and Yuffie (With Doom of the Living).

There's a lot of nice character moments if you take the time to talk to your team ebwteen plot events, like Vincent reminiscing about Professor Gast giving all the machines to Cosmo Canyon, Red telling us Aerith used to pet his snout a lot and it bothered him but now he misses it or Caith Sith saying he told Elmyra about her daugther'S death and both Elmyra and Marlene cried a lot.

You blazed through that fast. I assume you were using a guide for the disc3 stuff?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Whats so great about a shinra keycard?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Oh like so you can go to the gym and workout after or before work? That would be an awesome perk to be honest

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
The kalm flashback is going to be integrated into this game during midgar, you could see they cut parts of that out for the demo, but in preview copies they had the start of flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Since we're getting to release sooner than anticipated, does anyone know a streamer or youtube channel that will be doing a lets play?