Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Onmi posted:

So here's a question in more game design thoughts than necessarily story thoughts but.

How do you incentivize players to use Aerith? Aerith worked in FF7 because her death is sudden and unexpected, but now her death is pin point accuracy and extremely expected. And people just have a habit of not using characters who are gonna die. Like... I see people just not use Aerith when they play classic FF7, because why bother to spend time on a character who's not gonna be around forever?

Give her an ability that makes your entire party invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

According to Eurogamer there are some (limited) dialogue options in the remake so I wonder if certain choices will carry over between chapters.

I wonder how the Barret date will look in 3D

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Elentor posted:

I think by the time of FF7 the Jedi Order is basically extinct. SOLDIERs were some unfathomably powerful force that did literally fantastical work, they were an army of Captain Americas. The war is over, Sephiroth went crazy and MIA, their reputation was probably tarnished outside of the inner circle.

Cloud tries to convey to others just how powerful Sephiroth is, because he doesn't think the reputation does it justice. In all likelihood the new grunts have no idea what SOLDIERS were capable of.

The first thing we see Sephiroth killing on-screen is a mythological creature, we had seen weird FF designs but nothing like a full-fledged Dragon.

Arent some of the Shinra enemies you fight in game SOLDIERs?

And there's one guy in Junon studying to become a SOLDIER. The latter could just be Cloud hallucinating though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

jenova is literally the Thing, any individual part of her no matter how small is effectively a fully capable copy of jenova herself. it's why jenova-cell injection results in identity death, because jenova's rudimentary intelligence still exists in the cells and hijacks the host's brain

the "sephiroths" (plural) cloud encounters are just little wriggly bits of jenova that sephiroth's corpse is remote-piloting from the northern crater, recreating them in his image using her shapeshifting abilities, but when he decides to go on the attack he shifts the jenova pieces into full-on replicas of the original organism, ie Jenova BIRTH, LIFE, and DEATH

I always thought the sephiroth you were chasing was just the headless body of jenova that escaped Shinra HQ, and everytime you beat it you cut off a piece of it.

I like this explanation better though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

esperterra posted:

Half the fun is naming him Nanaki, the comedy comes from him correcting everyone that his name has indeed been Nanaki this whole time.

e: whoever suggested the the best option of naming everyone Sephiroth is on point tho. i think you can only fit that on PC tho

But goddamn tryna follow the story with how often everyone says eachother's names or Sephiroth's name is :discourse:

Calling everyone "ShinRa" created some comedy in one of my old playthroughs.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The 1st disc of FFVII is probably my favorite part. You meet a lot of the characters in Midgar, then you travel across the world exploring the side stories and backstories for a lot of characters while picking up a few more along the way.

The side stories like cosmo canyon, corel, etc. add a lot to the game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

amigolupus posted:

My guess is that it was around the time people realized Yuffie's LV3 Limit Break had good DPS that they started liking her. I also remember goons liking Yuffie a lot more during Elentor's LP, when we were shown how Yuffie had some amazing lines, and how she was the closest thing in the group who reacts like any sane person would.

"Oh, you're telling me the guy that murdered President Shinra and a whole bunch of dudes is currently in the ship's hold? And you want to go down there and confront him? Well don't put me in the frikkin' party then!"

Is there a mechanical reason people dont like yuffie or is it all personality?