Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

But guns and smoking are not good for the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Seriously that was so good

By the end I'd really gotten into the rhythm of the combat and there's so much room for depth later on, and the controls are super intuitive. Much better than FF15

Good to hear this, a combat system with some depth is essential in JRPGs, unfortunately XV had none. Downloaded the demo for tonight.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No nostalgia for the original but the demo was fun and combat seems already like it has more depth than XV

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I'd like to also say the game is super easy from what I saw in the demo. I played both normal and classic, I think I didn't use any items,. Kinda hope the front of the game is just easy. I never finished ff7 but remember the start being actually hard and even this specific mission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

stev posted:

Lol the demo was loads harder than the OG reactor section.

Ah I had the exact opposite experience, maybe I wasn't paying attention when I was playing the OG.

Zaphod42 posted:

... you can only play classic on easy, so did you play normal on hard? Because if you played it on easy and now you're complaining its too easy....

Its literally the first level of the game, dude. Its meant to be baby's first tutorial. So yeah, playing it over and over is gonna be a cake walk.

Played on normal and classic.

Also the moron who didn't put Jessie in the poll can go gently caress himself/herself.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Question.

The Stagger Effect Pt.1 Use unique abilities on staggered enemies and charge the ATB gauge 10 times.

I don't understand what this one means. Is it just getting atb bar filled 10 times versus a staggered foe? Also do these Chedley report challenges work for any character who does it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kongming posted:

The fastest way to do that stagger challenge is to use Barret’s overcharge, each hit counts so you get like 4 credits per use.

Ok thanks. It was the only challenge that wasn't building up, now I am close I think only need few more attempts.

Just got the Shiva vr battle and did that with Cloud. Pretty fun and most challenging boss so far. Luckily I had the elemental materia + fira but the my basic attacks kept showing reduced but when Shiva was staggered it was showing weakness.

I didn't know to get the elemental materia on your weapon the dual slots have to be on the weapon itself so I tried to do the fight with the iron sword since it has higher magic dmg but I had the materia on my accessory. Btw if you have elemental materia on your sword is that damage going off your strength stat or magic? Also I am guessing weapon level affects materia slot/linked slots and the amount of slots you get?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are the vr battles with chedley all solo and is there a way to remove your party members like you could in ffx.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bewilderment posted:

You can equip the party members you don't like with the Frog Rings.

The VR battles work the same way as the Colosseum extra battles, some are solo, some aren't.

Thanks for that, the little side content so far has been fun in this game. Is there more stuff to do later on as in side content?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Aerith and Cloud moments in sector 5 when they first meet is so wholesome. Aerith trying to get Cloud to show some emotions while helping other people.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Worth getting the SP points items from the Moogle store?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Heath posted:

Just play the crate smashing game a ton, you get a medal even if you fail

Ya did that to get the last few SP books.

Also that high five moment between Cloud and Aerith was too cute. Not sure about the English VA but the Japanese VAs is so drat good, feel like I've heard these guys in a bunch of animes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

The English VA is insanely good.

Ya I saw some videos of the Aerith VA playing the game on Youtube, sounds good. I usually replay games that I love the combat of so I am gonna do a hard mode run, I will do that one in English.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just beat the Hell House fight, man that was hard. I realized too late I was suppose to take off his limbs because they weren't adding any stagger until you completely destroyed them. That fight ended up being way longer than it needed to be.

Btw is there a way to dodge the unblockable attack he does after his flying round, hellbound I think it's called?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Levantine posted:

Literally everything about the remake was better than the original. Thank you for reading.

Ya absolutely loving it so far. Although I never finished the original, I thought the combat was very bland even though I normally like traditional turn based. The current combat is a great mix of tactics/action and for me gameplay is the most important part of a game if I am going to be doing that for 90% of my time with it.

I am pretty sure I know what they changed in the story it's kinda obvious maybe it's cause I never played the original on release so I don't realize the impact but imo the original story is still there and this is just another take on that story perhaps worse but with superior gameplay.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya thanks for the responses, I think it's because I went with hardedge and guard stick. Which was the worst setup for this boss. I should have gone magic oriented but I didn't die in my first attempt so it was a really slog with only 2 elemental materia. On a 2nd try I would have definitely gotten all the materia weaknesses covered and use Aerith as the main source of dps instead of Cloud.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Even when you redo the fight in hard mode it’s really hard and long. You pretty much have to hit the weaknesses with great timing and go in with a good materia load out and full MP. If the fight catches you off guard it can go incredibly long

In hard mode the hell house shoots out tonberries at you. At low It he also summons the 2 robots you fight right before it (you’re supposed to use aerith’s invincible limit break and just go ahead and tank it)

Ya I saw that, looks fun if you have the proper build, I am looking forward to a 2nd run on hard knowing they bosses battles are different instead of just more damage.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress even the squating mini game is fun, the music remix in that part is particular good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I've seen a few streams of people who are playing Remake as their first exposure to FF7, and some of whom have decided to play the original after Remake, and to be honest I haven't seen any of them having the reactions that fans of the old game, especially those critical of the Remake, seem to conjecture they should have.

As a first timer to FF7.

Honestly it seems like the people who hate the remake seem to give lots of weight to the story when evaluating the game but I feel like the gameplay is so good in this, it's probably one of the best action jrpg combat systems out there and you have depth with the builds/upgrade system. 90% of what you do in this game is fight and that part is fun so why should the 10% matter so much to ruin the game?

I am still not done but I don't think the story will bother me because the combat system and rpg mechanics are so fun. I just got done with the dance scene and that was absolutely fabulous. This game was quite ahead of it's time, it had eco terrorism, transgender characters, black character as your main party member and big part of the story. Like even now sometimes it's so weird watching something like Friends or How I met your mother and there is almost 0 colored characters for 99% of the show which is taking place in NEW YORK. So for a piece of media from a conservative country like Japan to have all these things in 1997 is wild.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The true final boss's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCeXgLxK2o

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man Aerith and Cloud are such dorks, in the best way. Also the scene when they threaten Don Corneo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just got to Chapter 14 where the game opens up again. Time to grind a bit. I managed to finally get weapon proficiency for everyone while doing some of the side quests.

The boss in the previous chapter was pretty disappointing, he lived up to his name. So far all the boss fights have been really hype from the battle itself to the music and cinematics.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya the music is great, I also collected most of the original music in game, both are great imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the pro pull up challenge is hard, I really want another champion belt. I am getting super close but Jules seems to barely mess up in the 2nd phase. The worst part is if you mess up and give up, you go through a long rear end loading screen so the whole process is so slow.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

Ignore your opponent, whether he falls down or not does not change anything and he is only there as a distraction. You need to get a certain number of pull-ups (I think 44).

Ok thanks ya I notice in the first phase he almost always just gets 18? I managed to get 24 once but botched the 2nd phase up.

Oxxidation posted:

as someone who cleared it in one try i maintain that the Great Secret is to stop looking at the screen once the prompts fade, if you just focus on your thumb hitting the buttons and periodically glance up to make sure the mash prompt isn't coming back up then the lack of visual stimulus will make you gently caress up way less

Ya I actually just focus on the pattern on the dpad and saying it out loud helped me.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok ok finalllly starting this game. Life happened and yeah anyway.

Anything i should know as a first timer? Any settings to mess with? Have a ps4 pro

Brunom1 has some really solid tips, I would also add a few more things as someone who just started the game a few weeks ago.
- At first you should be fine just mainly controlling Cloud but later switch party members as much as you can during combat because the enemy will in 99% of the case aggro on the character you are controlling.
-If you are not switching a lot make sure to press x which pauses the game and you can issue commands to party members you are not controlling. I've seen in fights where I stick to 1 character, the party members not using any skills/abilities they don't seem to be programmed to work on their own unless you attach some specific materias to them but I find those just lazy solutions. You can give them more damage and just take few seconds to issue commands each time their atbs filled.
-Do all the side quests when you are given the opportunity, they are mostly monster hunts or fetch quests but still have some fun writing and really good rewards.
-Try to equip your party in a balanced way, like don't go full magic build on everyone or full glass cannon no utility.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the guy who said Biggs = Charlie Sheen...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still in chapter 14 finishing the side quests, finally managed to beat Jules in pull ups and my heart was legit racing.

I went back to Corneo's house to get some loot and there is a guy locked behind the door. Is that Corneo there himself?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Ulty posted:

If you can hear him but haven't found him yet, you can get back to the basement by going through Corneo's office, the room where he made the selection from your three party members. That will answer your question.

Can I still get this? After finishing all the sidequests I left to the sewers, am at the boss.

Also man this game on hard will be challenging. Some of these encounters even in normal are pretty challenging but maybe all the powerful materia will just make up for the difference?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

To answer your question though: no you cannot go back and get this materia if you've already progressed through to the sewers.

Protip for missable materia: do all the Ch14 side quests then look around. There is one materia rewarded by this that there are only 2 of in the entire game, and both are missable until you compete the game and get access to chapter select.

Ok thanks.

doos posted:

Yeah, higher level elemental materia, for instance, makes a lot of encounters a joke, though the Chapter 13 sewers are just a general combat low point. Outside of that, most encounters can be won with Cloud starting a fight with Triple Slash.

Ya I was watching a video of someone playing the Shiva vr battle on hard but this is before I knew hard is basically ng+ so you keep all your equipment. This guy destroyed her and that is a solo battle. But he of course had maxed out materias and end game stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ohh gotcha! Wasn’t sure if you posted little quips without spoilers or something. Definitely going to thumb through once i finish binging this week.

How long did it take y’all taking your time? I’m no completionist, but not in a rush. The game does seem very linear? Is that only the beginning?

Most FF games tend to be linear they really aren't as open as other JRPGs like Dragon Quest. There is normally though a point in the game where you get to a huge open world area and it's normally before the end game point of no return. It's mainly for farming, maxing gear out and completing any sideuqests.

FF7R isn't the full game so it doesn't really have any big open area but like Doctor Fruitbat said there is 3 chapters interspersed that are you just going around doing sidequests in sector 5 and the wall market.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 17, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Finally getting around to finishing the game and Barrett's whining as he's forced to climb 59 flights of stairs is goddamn hilarious.

Ya climbing the stairs was worth it just for the banter,

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

Finally started my hard mode run and wow, it quickly showed how bad I really am at this game. Normal, you can almost button mash your way through. Lack of item access makes it so much harder and yet so much more satisfying when you take out a tough enemy. The Scorpion killed me a few times before I was able to skate by with Barret dead and Cloud under 2k HP (and Cloud's mocking of Barret the entire time was fantastic).

Now I'm in the middle of sidequesting in chapter 3, and I have to ask - can I just sell all these worthless items then? Since I can't use them, might as well get some gil that will be completely useless once I buy all the materia I want, right?

Good game, remains good.

Ya I haven't played on hard yet but plan to, I am on last chapter but I felt like a lot of boss belts I lucked out and didn't figure out their patterns/weakness properly but still got them. Gonna be enjoyable in hard to get my poo poo shoved in.

Btw what is the difference betwee Mythril Blade and Twin Stinger?

Also this games combat is so deep even without accounting for materia, like if you hold square in punisher mode you can get a berserker buff. Doesn't say that anywhere but I saw it on a video.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If you are still in chapter 14 you can do the box mini game and spam the weapons abilities there you will get the proficiency really quickly. That chapter is really good because the enemies are easy and you can max all the current weapons very quickly.

I finally finished the game. Have to say it's one of my favorite jrpgs of all time now and I have played quite a few. It definitely has flaws with it's story later on but for 90% of the length the story is fine and very engaging/comprehensible. The ending pulls out all the worst storytelling tropes from movies/anime. That being said the gameplay is amazing, this is a JRPG with animation canceling, real time rolls/dodges, parry system, each character having a unique system to them. Then there is the materia, pairing materia's to find new broken combos is the cherry on top. I am excited to start it on hard tonight, I will probably go level up materia's then do all the chapters one by one. Music is great especially the newer tracks they added fit really well in the new areas. Also I had only played a few hours of the original so I had no expectations story wise.

Can't wait for part 2 in 2030.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do you do the Aerith solo vr challenge in Shinra HQ? Which part should I chapter select, is it after chapter 17 then just find an elevator to go back down? Also you have to complete the existing battles to get the secret hard battles?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Chapter 17. The VR sim is immediately after the first fight with the test subjects.

And yes you have to complete all fights including Corneo Colosseum ones

Ok thanks I have done everything except in my first run I never returned the shinra vr station after getting Aerith so just need to do her stuff to unlock the extra ones. Some of those hard ones look particularly tough. I might just come later after I have done most of the chapters on hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The hard mode run has been pretty quick so far and actually the materia/equipment make for most of the difference. I haven't been any situation low in mp which most people complain about for hard mode. Still early on but I remember struggling in the airbuster fight in normal and a few other spots. HP absorb is so busted and bloodsucker, they were kinda meh in normal in hard they are lifesavers.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

titties posted:

Hi i just thought you should let you all know that the Japanese voice track is the one true way

Ya I did my first run on Japanese and used English on the hard run but turned back to Japanese. I think the delivery/lines are probably better in English but I prefer the Japanese VAs as the voice fits the characters a lot more imo.

Also just got through Hell House on hard mode, he is quite easy actually once you know what to do. Last time I couldn't capitalize on all his elemental weaknesses because I didn't have enough materia slots. The added Tonberries in the fight don't add much as the first few seconds they come in they fall on the floor and you can just burst them out with 2 triple strikes. Even his final form's hell attack is canceled if you have the right materia which I never had in the last fight. The only hard bit is when he swallows a party member but if you have double healing and revive you can't really die to him. Interesting to see what new ability the next boss has.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 8, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any item with a link of 3 slots?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Do you mean like o=o=o ? There's nothing that links three in a row, but I think there are items that have 3 linked pairs, like o=o o=o o=o iirc.

If you want to link one materia to two other materia simultaneously, I believe you can? Sort of? Sometimes? Like for instance I think you could take a Fire materia and link it to MP Absorb, and then in another paired slot, you would take a Fire of equivalent level and link it to All, and then in practice you would be able to cast Fire spells on multiple enemies at once while absorbing MP from all of them as well. You can actually do some serious work with Aerith this way if you gear her specifically to one element, pick a weapon that reduces attack spell cost and/or increases attack spell damage, and cast from within her Arcane Ward. Doubled Thundaga on a mob of enemies for a net cost of like 2 MP.

Ya I guess that is the only. Like I wanted to magnify + elemental + fira but u have to do it with 2 different chains. I hope they add some late game item for a 3 pair.

Also so far on hard mode Abzu was the hardest, I just notice how few bosses in this game have aoe attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress the Eligore fight was so tough on hard mode, I thought Hell House would be tougher and long but it's super quick actually if you know what to do even with the tonberries added

Eligore even if you know what to do he casts reflect on you so the only way to heal party is through chakra or pray which is 2 atb slot. Just the addition of reflect completely changes the dynamic of the fight. Best thing about hard mode is seeing the new abilities each boss has and I got the bladed staff for Aerith finally.