Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FF7 Reunion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I have basically finished the game on hard, I am at the last chapter but I am trying to finish the secret vr battle.

Any tips for the vs top secrets vr battle? I haven't been able to beat Bahamut yet in it. Once he summons Ifrit should I just kill Ifrit? He seems a lot easier to kill but also there is so much damage going around that I can't keep everyone alive.

Btw can you get a 2nd magnify materia on hard?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok good advice, I already have reprieve so not sure if the revive pendants are worth and I'll probably lose atleast some member in leviathan. As for the elemental absorption ya that might be good, I was using that only on cloud but I had ice so I can just smash through Shiva but if it makes Ifrit basically into a cleric for my party that might be worth it. I'll give it another go.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

doos posted:

Also remember that you get 50% of your MP back after every fight, which I personally found hard to wrap my mind around after going through the game on Hard. With MP Up you can afford to keep up the pressure and go a little ham by casting big spells on Shiva and Leviathan.

Ya, I know and reprieve is so useful on this mission. I still can't beat Bahamut. I might just go try the solo bahamut fight to see how I got him, I really have trouble getting his stagger down. I've seen people go full damage with fury rings or use arcane ward to spam raga spells. I tried both but I got him only to 10% and couldn't finish him before stagger ended.

The first 3 I am just speedrunning now, just gonna figure Bahamut out.

I would just get it on PC for better textures that's it. This game looks so good but then there are random textures that look ps1 era.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh not sure I just played Star Wars Fallen Order before FF7r and didn't notice any texture issues but that was on PC. I think I saw someone show that the high res textures in FF7R are there they just don't load for some reason, I would guess an SSD would solve some of that.

Btw I am so loving happy finally finished the mission vs vr top secrets. I tried it for a whole week. I used Cloud/Tifa/Aerith all with fury rings, basically I saw some guy doing this speedrun of it without using limits + summons or gotterdammerung. The whole tactic was to instantly stagger the enemies and basically finish them in 1 rotation. I think I only got to pride and joy twice.

I don't know if they patched it but all the all videos I see of the run I see people staggering Bahamut before he can summon Ifrit but I just couldn't get him staggered before he summoned Ifrit. I wish there was a command to position your teammates because the key way to beat Bahamut is to raga spam him with Arcane ward but your allies just move in random directions so you have to micromanage so much.

Anyway now I can finish the last chapter on hard and abuse gotterdammerung for a few battles. Also I don't know if this is a bug but it doesn't matter who I set my party leader to but it always stays Cloud?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Changing party leader only changes which character gets the camera at the start of a combat, if that's what you mean. It doesn't change who you run around as in the non combat portions, unfortunately, because of course everyone would be Tifa at all times.

Ya I know that it was bugged for vr battles but in regular battles it was working. I saw videos of people doing vr battles and they were getting proper leader in it.

Gotterdammerung makes the rest of the game a freebie, also bless whoever in Square decided you could skip the awful motorfights.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe I'm confusing what you're saying, but your party order in VR is based on the order you select your characters to participate. Since your party leader might be set to Cloud, but you could make a team of Barret, Tifa, and Aerith.

Oh fk, ya I totally forgot and it actually never even occurred to me to not take Cloud or that you could do that. I thought the order had no importance there.

Anyway finished the game on hard. It was easy till like the Eligor boss fight because he casts reflect nonstop, the vr battle vs top secret was also hard. Other than that I think it was fairly straight forward even with the new moves for the bosses.
Basically in chapter 17 if u get the gotterdammerung the end game is a piece of cake, without it I could see it being a bit harder.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

I finished it on hard today as well, didn't have gotter but it was still relatively straightforward. While you have to have a good plan to beat Rufus and the Arsenal, you can just sorta do what you want against the Whispers (kinda wish I knew what was going on but it worked so never mind).

I'm not one to really pay much attention to trophies, but it's funny how slightly more players have gotten all 9 outfits than have gotten all the enemy skills. I don't think I can be bothered to go back and redo chapter 10 to get Cloud's 10th manuscript, I can't imagine doing all the outfit tasks over and over...

Edit: repeat chapter 9, I mean..

Ya honestly I use to do trophies/achievement hunting when I was a teenager but gently caress these days I barely have time to play games. I normally just try to replay the game on harder difficulty if I like the combat. That's as far as I will go or try to see different endings if that is how it is.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I heard the exclusivity on this ends for Sony in March. Really hope a beefed version comes out on PC. I have like 100+ hours on ps4 but would replay this instantly. Combat is so fun in this game and the story/dialogue is enjoyable until like the last 2 hours.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a safe bet that as soon as the exclusivity ends in April, there will be a PC version ready to go or at least close to being ready.

Ya hope it's out on both Steam/EGS. Since it's on unreal engine 4 and Epic loves throwing money at timed exclusives it might get released on ESG first. I don't think ESG is bad as people make it out to be but I definitely would prefer to buy on Steam on launch.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I was on board with Weiss The Immaculate but man, the rest of the game's lookin' real weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8hg732pPM

Lol.

Still sad Intergrade ain't out on PS4 or PC. I guess I will have to wait to replay this game, hopefully on pc sometime this year.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm doing my first ever PC build right now and I'm super excited to finally get to try games that I liked, but which looked like they were only brought up to their true potential by the modding scene (like literally any modern Fallout game, for instance). Final Fantasy 7 Remake hitting PC is gonna generate a lot of cool stuff, I think, and I'm stoked to see what comes. Maybe a proper combat holodeck where you can choose the enemies you face in each round from all the enemies (or allies!) in the game.

I'd also flip for a multiplayer mode where friends could control some of the other player characters, though I'm not sure how it would deal with the menu screen bullet time in combat. Perhaps you just don't have any, and you gotta to get comfortable with button shortcuts. Maybe playable Red XIII!

Ah who am I kidding, it's probably gonna 85% pervert mods that make Tifa's breasts humongous or make Aeris poo poo her pants or something.

A mod that puts Wedge in your party and all he does is get chased by enemies like that Shinra compound section.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The door was never as distracting to me as some of the background textures when you were climbing to the plate

Ya the door was the obvious ones but there was a lot of areas where a random texture in the back looked like a ps2 era texture.

Can't wait to try this again in 60fps.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That seems to be the norm from what I've seen, graphics modes have very little difference but switching between 30 & 60 fps is night and day

Ya I will take 60fps over 4k any day of the week especially in action oriented games. If it's some poo poo like Until Dawn or something that is just bunch of cutscenes and walking maybe it's bearable.

I have 4k on my pc monitor and tv, honestly very few games you can tell the difference between 1440p/4k.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

On the normal difficulty you should be able to run through most opponents. Only Wedge and Chadley put up a fight. The high ap units work well with the higher end boards since you start with more ap. In a 6 unit board I normally would only have 2 units at 4 ap or above.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone is stuck vs Chadley on hard in Condor Fort. You can bumrush him with guard dog + slug rail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOxtxbaZx4

This is the only tactic that worked vs him. I think you could probably beat him if you use the dual barricks and use your materia spells well but this dog rush strategy is way more brainless and easier for me.,

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that they buffed the materia in the PS5 update patch. It used to be awful and now it is better.

Ya on Sonon if you equip a bosses elemental weakness whenever Yuffie uses a command Sonon will use level1 magic spell for no mp no atb.

Btw I got to Nero on hard but with 0 mp on both characters so had to start over. The no MP regen on benches is crazy. Now I know you have to basically use Boomerang on Yuffie to regen mp during fights but I was getting max proficiency on all the weapons. I wish they just gave you your materia from the main game(after 1 playthrough), I don't want to grind ap to max materias because the secret boss vr is really hard with low level materia.

I know they added the Ninja Armlet item to make ap grinding fast has anyone tried it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I don't think I cast a single magic spell on Hard except for Raise (not Arise) when Sonon fell every now and then. Maybe a magnified Curaga if things got dire.

Can you give any tips? I am still getting used to Yuffie, I am replaying chapter 2 on hard again and I think I have the combos down but I play too aggressive. Are you using the precision shields? That's one thing I think I need to use on hard, also what weapon did you use mainly?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I slept on brumal form until it came time to unlock the weapo proficiency and started using it and yeah as soon as I realized what it was it immediately went into a shortcut.

Ya brumal form is insane, all her weapon proficiency bonus abilities are great. I wish the dlc was out for all the ps4 peeps but I feel like Yuffie's combat at 30 would have felt really bad especially with more timing abilities like brumal form + her precision shields. It still doesn't make sense though that a dlc is next gen exclusive but maybe thats what they were thinking?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I think I stuck with boomerang since it increases magic the most. Stick with ninjutsu as much as possible, as you can keep your distance, damaging the enemy constantly. Let Sonon and his Steadfast Block take the brunt of attacks. Equip Parry and use it liberally - I never found myself blocking. Obviously keep Chakra and Prayer on, Prayer can heal a good 2-3k on use - I kept Chakra on Yuffie and prayer on Sonon, then just never used his abilities so that I always had that prayer ready. I also never used Brumal Form, I never found that I needed it.

For a quick burst of damage, use Windstorm when youve thrown your shuriken at an enemy, it does a surprisingly large chunk of damage and can hit multiple targets.

Fedule posted:

Don't forget about Windstorm. In ranged mode, Windstorm sends out a very wide shot directly towards wherever your weapon is, and can easily hit a lot of targets for a lot of damage (this will also automatically retrieve your weapon). In melee mode, it creates a damage field around Yuffie that can launch and juggle enemies.

Thanks for the tips, made it to Nero with full mp almost using tips. I still hadn't figured her out yet but the ranged windstorm is clutch and the air juggle with square square > triangle x2 > square is great you can just get super high and avoid dmg from other enemies. I also made use of the precision block which can be huge in a fight and lets you go ham. I probably put parry as you said as well, the extra mobility is welcome. I got the trophies for Fort Condor and box challenges. Now I only gotta finish Nero and the VR missions.

I completely forgot Bahamut summons ifrit, honestly Bahamut felt harder than Pride/Joy in vanilla.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Bahamut was the hardest fight in the dlc for me, far harder than the second and third battles in his arena challenge. Took me like 8 tries to take him down, then I beat the others on my first try.

Once my gf is done using the PS4 I'm going to boot up the main game and get through hard mode on that.

Because of trophies, you see.

Eh mine is the opposite, I am beating Bahamut consistently on the dlc but Ramuh kills me with his big aoe spell. Vs Bahamut if you just stay synergized and spam the aircombo you just stick to him and can brumal form to dodge everything he does in air. Just need Sonon to cast heal with magnify. Haven't made it to pride and joy but my wrist hurts after so many attempts, gonna take a break.

I feel like the vanilla secret boss should be easier for you since you breezed through this. Also the reward is really good, might be fun to replay a bit with Gotterdammerrung it's the most broken item in the game. I just have Weiss and Secretboss trophies left for the dlc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I casually ran through Chapter 2 on Hard without paying much attention and now I'm at Nero with no MP left.

This ain't going well, folks!

There is lots of good tips in the previous page, I had similar issues and some folks here had good tips. Mainly I recommend being max lvl and using boomerang on Yuffie. You should have no issues, also know where the benches are so you don't heal when a bench is about to come up.

Btw I gave up on the secretboss and Weiss for now. I getting the secretboss in the main game was enough and finishing both in hard was also nice. I'll probably replay the whole game in a few months and try again, kinda burned out since I played it the whole game on hard not long ago.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I know I said I would give up on the vr battle but I am so close to the platinum. I am probably gonna grind it out a bit every day until I get it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got him! Took a few more tries after but I got a good groove for the first two phases, used the hell out of Pray to conserve MP, the. Unloaded summon and limits in the final phase. And it almost wasn’t enough! I was in the red when my limit bar filled and I used it in a “well this kills you or you kill me” last play. Done with that and I got Yuffie to 50 with that.

Gonna need to take a step back and reorganize both character’s equipment and materia before taking on the VR mission. I gave it a go to see what it’s all about and it opens with Bahamut so I promptly said gently caress that and left.

Playing through Hard made me appreciate Yuffie even more. I’m in a tough spot where I would like to see the rest of the characters get this kind of flexibility but at the same time I understand why Yuffie has it in the first place. Doing the extra VR stuff with the main crew and being able to swap around characters as you fight is such a joy.

They did such a loving good job with the combat in this game.

Ya I honestly though the combat looked cool when I played it in normal but you miss out on so many interactions with the materia and combat that you are forced to use on hard due to the mp constraint. Once you replay it, the combat really shines. Even Yuffie dlc I didn't even realize you could do ranged windstorm, the synergy materia with sonon, the air juggling with Yuffie. There is so many things that you can miss about the combat.

Yuffie throw reminds me of Noctis's wrap ability except in that game there was literally no reason for Noctis to fight from range other than to wrap to healing spots.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/o5jabm/ff7_remake_part_2_leaked_image/

Finally got the trophy for Joy/Pride in the dlc. drat that was easy once you know what do. I had to max out a few materias but it made it a cake walk. Next is Weiss then I am done.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Long range warp strikes deal more damage, so that isn't exactly true.

Do you think/like FFXV combat? I genuinely am wondering because I thought the game had so much potential but I never understood the combat or it was too simple/easy. Played it on pc as well and it ran/looked great.

Btw got Weiss and the trophy popped up but then didn't show up in my trophy list. I almost got a heart attack. So I am done with the game, basically beat all the end game. I was about to give up to Weiss and Yuffie secret boss but it was worth in the end. Weiss's third phase is immaculate.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't touched the game since beat Intermission. Decided to replay it from the start again on hard, but I have 2 gotterdammerung so should be easy, just going to enjoy playing it on 4k/60.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really hope they use Price of Freedom in Rebirth.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

I really like the weapon system in FF7R, yeah. Every weapon is equally viable at endgame, they just have different purposes. I always like that kind of thing.

Ya I feel like everyone has atleast a 2nd good option although there is always one clear better option.

I just keep remembering how busted punisher mode parry is that and counterstance is the only reason I got through Bahamut in the secret boss arena.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Counterstance should have unlocked much earlier in the game, definitely not in the final dungeon. Completely transforms Cloud's play style.

Ya I agree. I had to see other people do the arena mode in hard mode to see how strong that ability was. Literally made me get through the vr stuff in hard. Although its so weird the game never tells you clearly what's parryable or not. For example in Souls games you can parry most humanoid enemies but not all monsters. But in FF7R you can parry Bahamut and it's one of the best tools vs his melee offense but you would never think of doing that unless you saw someone or did it by accident. Sephiroth was an obvious one to parry though. Then I think you can't parry Weiss or atleast some of his stuff. So it's just kinda inconsistent with what you can parry vs what you can't.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Isn't it just "you can parry all melee physical attacks"? More like a dodge-counter than "parrying" a weapon.

Are you speaking of FF7R or Souls cause I mentioned that? There were definitely some physical attacks you can't parry like Weiss stinger attack you have to jump out of the way. But I only found about counterstance when I got vr missions hard mode so I never got to test it vs other bosses.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I coulda sworn you got countering right away. You switch from quick to strong style with Cloud and then hold Block and he counters, that is a big part of the entire stance shift deal? No?

Ya like Moola said its different. Counterstance is an ability like Braver it uses 1 charge of ATB, you go into a parry position for a few seconds then it times out. So counterstance requires timing vs regular punisher mode parry where you can just hold block indefinitely. But the upside is you get more dmg, on hard where the whole fight is about getting the boss pressured asap before they do their big bang attacks any extra dmg helps. Also even if you don't connect with counterstance it counts for a ability used in the Skill Master materia, so you just need to use 2 different abilities/spell after it to recover 1 atb bar.

It's really good in hard mode but mainly vs stuff like Bahamut/Weiss, where they have abilities that can one shot your whole party, you really need the extra dmg to get them pressure before they summon or do their final attack. The regular story is fine in hard mode, I went through it all without ever using counterstance until I saw videos of the vr missions online.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair Iframes do rule

Rolls with iframes are a easy way to add some depth and reward skill if your game is fast paced. More and more games are doing this since Souls made it popular. Like in Returnal you have a dash which has iframes, feels so good to react and dash through projectiles.

Not saying Souls created this game mechanic but for me thats the first time I saw it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the backgrounds in FF7R are gorgeous, some areas are definitely very low res but still the art is great. This like 3rd run of the game and I forgot you can't go into boss fights without in revive even random bosses can one shot atleast one party member.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The JRPG age talk got me thinking which jrpgs got old main characters. I can think of Yakuza where in the later games Kiryu is 30-40. I remember people saying FF12's protag was suppose to be someone else but instead they chose the younger guy because they were scared it wouldn't do well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Normal difficulty. I got staggers on everything in the reactor except the laser turrets and those eyeball-on-a-stick guys, so I’m not in terrible shape, I just didn’t know staggering everything was going to be a requirement yet.

Really enjoying the character development between Cloud/Tifa. The scene after rescuing Johnny when Cloud was one second away from killing everyone in that abandoned lot was really jarring and interesting. Barret and everyone in Avalanche rules, it’s so good they fleshed them out a lot more.

Ya I think other people told you but the whole combat is based around juggling aggro> build atb> use pressuring/weakness skills on enemy which helps build stagger> then go ham when staggered.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's not nonexistent but it might as well be. I think they intend for you to switch between all three and by the time you've gone through two characters, the third will be close to a bar

You are right but there are certain fights on hard where you mainly want to play as Tifa. IF you have all the atb boosting materia on Tifa and mainly ATB assist + skill master you can give lots of ATB to your teammates just by playing Tifa the optimal way. Mainly Aerith is the character that you usually don't want to control for too long and keep her on her Arcade ward, they really need a command to keep character in place. The ai on aerith rarely uses tempest so she won't build ATB unless you control her but she gets one shot by most things. If you can get ATB boost on Aerith and have Tifa atb assist keep her atb charged up, you just need to micro Aerith every once in a while to keep her on the arcane ward. This is super micro stuff but it's very useful vs the hard bosses in VR. The AI is usually fine with Cloud at building ATB because if you have steadfast block Cloud is in melee range he will build atb with that + his normal attacks. This is a great way for fighting stuff like Bahamut/Weiss, just control Tifa and micro Aerith. It doesn't work as well with Cloud Tifa Barrett because you won't get proper use of Barret's charge shot while Aerith doesn't really need to do more than spam spells on top of Arcane ward.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

2024 goty confirmed bruh

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If Sephiroth is playable or in your party at some point. I am guessing modders will make him fully playable.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27l-ny5KX4

people have already done that in the original game without him being playable, so

Dang missed out on the pc version. Might pick it up on sale just for the mods down the line.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really don't want to see anymore trailers. Square enix ruined some of the big icon fights in FFXVI by showing so much pre launch content. Maximilian says its good, it looks like improvement over FF7R combat which was one of the better implementation of real time with pause in a JRPG so I am in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah I'm about to go media blackout. There will probably be 2-3 more trailers for the game, but the one to really be careful of is the the Launch trailer or 'Final' trailer, that comes out a week before release. That's the one where they make a push to grab the last bit of audience who isn't already on board and they spoil every god drat thing.

Ya apparently the media even got to play as Sephiroth? gently caress is that, that is such a great moment to have for yourself during the game. No thanks I don't want to see anything. I will just follow the discussion but I don't want to see anything. Also I think they will do the demo with the save carryover like FFXVI cause that was one of their best marketing strategies.

Also Persona 3 Remake, Yakuza 8 and FF7R are all coming within 4 weeks of each other. Gonna be a good time for rpgs to start the year.