Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the first two mods that come out for this game are going to be tifa having larger breasts and playing as crossdressed cloud for the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they will both be installed by everyone but most people will claim to have done it ironically

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I just want to point out that there's no reactor 4 in the new opening.

there is, though, it just looks somewhat exploded

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

It wasn't. I have no idea when this trend started. FFX has a lot of gasps and overacting but it's nowhere close to the symphony of suffocating VAs that we have today.

The first instance that I can remember where grunts are overused to fill in is FF7:AC.

I imagine the scenario writing for these games has a "everyone gasps in surprise" quota that keeps getting higher every year.

people naturally have body language and make noise but in a way that is subtle and was, at least in the early days, very difficult to convey properly though 3d models. Originally they just didn't bother, but once the models became good enough, like PS2 era, you started getting an uncanny valley effect where the complete absence of breathing and body language made everyone seem like weird robots. So they had to start doing it, but "move his eyebrow up 1mm and tell the voice actor to breathe into the mic 5% more strenuously" doesn't come across very well so they had to exaggerate everything. Now that's what everyone in the industry has experience with so even though we have now reached a level of technical proficiency that would allow us to do those subtle things we still have people react to someone saying something slightly surprising like mike tyson just punched them in the mouth, and everyone huffs and puffs like a fat boy with asthma every time they have to jog 3 feet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Huuuh. If we're going beyond Midgar does that mean we are getting the Kalm flashback this game? If so they have sure kept it under wraps

We're definitely 100% getting the Kalm flashback in this game because it is the setup for the entire plot and not having it in the first installment will leave everyone who doesn't already know the plot wondering why they should even give a poo poo about sephiroth to begin with. The way the original did the buildup to Sephiroth was great but unfortunately if you stretch out Midgar to 30 hours and then make everyone wait 2 to infinity years to keep playing you kill the pacing on that buildup and have to radically change how it works. This is why you actually see Sephiroth showing up in Midgar now: if he didn't then he just wouldn't even be in the game, and they'd have to put out a game called Final Fantasy 7 Remake that contained 0 sephiroth. The main question at this point is whether the Kalm flashback actually happens in Kalm, and the game is actually Midgar + Kalm + maybe the mithril mines, or if they just jam it in earlier so that it still acts as Sephiroth's proper introduction before they have him start showing up in person.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

The things you guys talk about to avoid talking about the fact that we didn't get a demo is just :allears:

it got leaked and people played through the whole demo already so I don't even get what the holdup is, just release the drat thing already, it's clearly done

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

For real though how is the answer not immediately costa del sol, imagine swimming all day every day in that place.

mideel, so that I can be swallowed up by the earth and destroyed

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It's an amusement park literally built on top of the old Corel, the one burned down and massacred by Shinra.

It certainly fits with the theme.

A lot of people used to be weird Midgar Onlyists who insisted the game lost a lot of its quality and thematic power once you leave Midgar. But we never stop seeing the atrocities of Shinra even as we are ostensibly going after Sephiroth and forgetting all about Shinra.

it's not so much that it loses quality after midgar so much that Midgar is wall to wall Interesting poo poo Happening but then after Kalm a big chunk of disc 1 ends up just being bumbling around in the theoretical direction of sephiroth

Like Midgar is: Blow up a reactor, go back to your terrorist hideout and hear some establishing backstory, blow up another reactor, meet the president, fall off a cliff, meet aeris, run from the turks, dress up like a girl, infiltrate the don's mansion, fight through the train graveyard, fight your way up the plate tower, fight Reno, escape from the destruction of sector 7, climb up the burning plate wreckage, bust into Shinra HQ, climb up and learn all about Shinra, see the weird poo poo in Hojo's lab, meet a talking dog, get thrown in jail, escape jail, follow the trail of blood, holy poo poo the president's dead, fight Rufus, motorcycle out of town, escape to Kalm and learn all about the setup for the game's actual plot. poo poo is continuously happening.

then you get to the rest of disc 1, which starts off with you spending half an hour trying to figure out how to catch a giant chicken that you will ride for exactly 30 seconds before you go into a generic mine dungeon that ends with a conversation instead of a boss fight, and the conversation ultimately doesn't tell you anything other than "the turks also want to follow sephiroth". There's cool parts, and there's also boring parts where nothing really happens. Like Red and Barret both have their own big focus segments which you will enjoy if you like those characters, but if they were benchwarmers then you won't really care because they're self-contained segments that have no greater plot impact.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

precision posted:

Clearly I need to watch Jojo :)

there is an entirely serious and important villain with several highly impactful and emotional scenes focused on them who is named "Vanilla Ice"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

if you show that to someone unaware of FF7, and they'll have no clue what the game is about.

the stupid bullshit is just as much a part of ff7 as anything else

remember how snowboarding, with its wacky music and balloons that you can collect for no reason and the constant slapstick of cloud plowing head on into a snowman at 100 mph, happens like 15 minutes after aeristh dies? Remember how the revelation that you get from cloud dressing up like a girl and interrogating corneo is that thousands of people are about to die? remember cloud going insane and beating the poo poo out of aeristh while cait sith's replacement hops into screen and goes
"hiya everybody, uh, is this a bad time?"

that's what this game is about, that's what it is

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Here's a random thing:

People often comment on the glowing eyes for SOLDIER's. It's supposed to result from exposure to Mako. Somebody elsewhere brought up AC and looking at pics and listening to music reminded me of how the Bishie Brothers all had slit pupils. I vaguely recall this was supposed to be a result of Jenova Cells...maybe?

So Cloud shouldn't just have glowy eyes, he should have the catlike pupils.

all members of SOLDIER have Jenova cells in them

I guess the cat pupil thing is because sephiroth got jammed full of them as a fetus

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Master Twig posted:

Something I've always wondered is that SOLDIER doesn't seem to have a presence in FFVII outside of flashbacks. Cloud talks about them existing and warning against them a few times early on. So it's definitely implied that they're still around. But then you never encounter them throughout the game. Or if you do, the enemies you fight are never explicitly stated as being part of SOLDIER. Is it because every member of SOLDIER suddenly went north for the Reunion? If that's the case, it's never mentioned.

there are a couple of areas that have generic SOLDIER random encounters(that are labeled as SOLDIER 2nd Class by sense) and there's an NPC in Junon who is a retired SOLDIER but other than they have literally no presence and there's not a single time that you actually speak to a current member

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

You never meet any SOLDIER 1st Classes except Zack and Sephiroth. They were the elite of the elite, I guess. No fodder for them.

you can fight SOLDIER 1st classes on like 1 screen in the midgar raid

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

I think they might touch on that with that 3rd class dude turned biker gang leader but if I had to guess I'd say after Wutai fell and Shinra ruled the entire drat world they just decided to shutdown the super soldier program. They didn't really need them anymore and judging from Crisis Core there are some striking loyalty issues with that organization!

they're totally established as being still around, though, by virtue of being random encounters and the whole "hey cloud was there anyone from SOLDIER in the reactor today?" conversation

they just never show up outside of random battles

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Barret: Lets go Merc!
Cloud: *ollies off train* Right.

*screen fades to black

*fake twitter page appears next to 'Loading....'
Cloud: really nervous about my first mission!! <3 #planetsdyin

i want to see cloud get into a twitter feud about stolen valour

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

as a reminder the PC version of FFXIII, a game released in 2009, was 60+ GB of which at least 45 GB consisted purely of uncompressed video files

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

theeeere's the padding

alright, game's 120 hours long and 100 of them are these

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Game is going to change things. Don't be a dick.

yeah but the specific change in question happens 30 minutes in and is in the demo that 70% of the people who play this game will have already played

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

amigolupus posted:

In FF7, Lucrecia was this tragic figure who lost her kid to Hojo's science and suffered greatly for it. She also seemed to care about Vincent. Dirge of Cerberus somehow managed to unwittingly turned her into the Worst loving Person ever who willingly shacked up with Hojo and destroyed Vincent's life by experimenting on him and turning him into Goth Chaos. And somehow we're supposed to accept that her constant apologies makes up for the poo poo she's done.

she willingly shacked up with hojo in the original, too. she had sex with hojo, on purpose, and then let him inject jenova juice into the resulting fetus to see what would happen. she felt bad about it afterward, but not bad enough to actually do anything so she kind of just went and hung out in a cave for 30 years.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Booky posted:

weren't they actually paid actors hired by Shinra? or am i thinking of a different letter? :psyduck:

Yeah, the people in present day Nibelheim are paid actors, which is presumably why no amount of "but I lived here" will get them to admit anything.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they never said it was only going to be 3

it could easily be 4 or 5

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is what happened in the original game

it very much isn't and attempting to somehow draw "AVALANCHE's bomb wasn't intended to destroy the whole reactor despite the fact that none of them act surprised when the reactor blows up and, in fact, Barret declares that he wants the next explosion to be even larger" from a single line where Jessie, a dangerous amateur who has never done this before, says that she didn't think it would be that big, is an extreme and untenable stretch

shinra was definitely aware of the plot by at least the time of the reactor 5 raid and deliberately allowed at least the second raid and possibly both of them to be carried out, but there really is absolutely nothing in the original game that indicates that the bigass explosion wasn't basically the intended outcome

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

My interpretation of the end of the demo is Avalanche totally intended to blow the reactor but they're a bunch of amateurs who can't competently make a bomb. Shinra wants to scapegoat them but they know they have to be actual terrorists for that to work so they cover for them. I bet making them terrible terrorists is intentional in order to humanize them more.

honestly yeah, given the fact that they all seem to be in a big hurry to get the gently caress outta there before it goes off it seems like the plan was still pretty much to blow the whole thing up

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

If they add more JENOVA fights, what names will they have. JENOVA Afterbrth?

jenova adolescence

jenova middle age

jenova retirement

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If this sells well they ain't gonna make ff6 remake they will just make more ff7 instead. The lead producer straight up admitted it as such.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-developer-want-the-saga-to-/1100-6474177/

i can't wait for reremake

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

Apparently FF15 was the result of a long decline, like a consequence of it. I am not sure how much that is the decline of consoles - all I know is that they complain a lot about videogame prices, something that I empathize because games cost a truckload in my Country as well.

The vibe I get is that since the PS2 era interest in the franchise has been steadily declining, so by the time FF15 was released there was no real motivation for people to buy it. I don't know how much marketing there was. Dragon Quest XI sold twice as much as FF15 in Japan, for reference, in the first day.

if you look at the series it's perfectly understandable why it went from being incredibly popular to declining. They had a string of really solid games that were coming out very close together. Games were coming out every year or two, and were generally, if not universally, liked.

Then after X, you have a 5 year gap because they went to try and do MMO stuff, and then you get XII, which was a bit of a disappointment, then 3 more years, and then XIII, which was a worse disappointment. Then they try the MMO thing again and holy poo poo, it's a disaster. Then six years of mediocre spinoffs of games that people didn't like later, they take one of the spinoffs that was stuck in development hell, declare that it's Final Fantasy XV now, and rush it out the door half-finished. It's not really a surprise that public interest has strongly declined.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I admittedly know little about them but they're giant open world games too, aren't they? With none of the heavy-handed storytelling you expect from a JRPG?

They're not really open world games, no, at least not in the modern sense. They're basically along the lines of a 3d Castlevania or something. The whole thing is a connected world but the path you have to take through it is fairly linear. As I recall, first one goes Asylum to Firelink, then you do Undead Burg and then Blighttown(which you could theoretically do before Undead Burg but won't because it's significantly harder((and sucks)) and the game strongly guides you to do Burg first), and then Sen's Fortress, and then Anor Londo, and then there's Izalith, Catacombs, Archives, and New Londo in whichever order you feel like, and then you do Kiln and the game ends. There's some optional side areas and you can theoretically go to some of these places before you're supposed to, but there's usually not much point to it other than suicide grabbing items that you want because you'll get your rear end kicked.

The storytelling is pretty minimalist though, year.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

15(8.4m) sold more than 13(7.7m) which sold more than 12(7.2m)

yes, worldwide. We were talking about in Japan, specifically, where it sold significantly worse than those games.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Final Fantasy has always been a global franchise and Japan's share of the home console market has been in steady decline for over a decade, so in that context FFXV probably did pretty well.

I kind of think you have to look at it differently. FFXV was multiplat, and thus hit a bigger market because it hit more consoles. This isn't true in Japan because no one in Japan has an Xbox. The sales figures I could find for FFXV Xbox version in Japan were less than 4000 units sold, so it's pretty much non-existent and you can write it off. So, in Japan, FFXV didn't get any sales boost for going multiplat, and the result was that it sold significantly worse than XIII. XIII was a PS3 game. Neither the PS3 nor the PS4 came anywhere near the numbers of the PS2, so that argument would hold water for explaining the drop from X and XII to XIII. But the PS3 and PS4 actually sold pretty comparably in Japan, so that doesn't explain that kind of drop from XIII to XV.

EDIT: that said, while the figures I could find for first week Japanese sales for XIII and XV showed that XV sold about half as well, indicating a pretty sharp decline in Japanese interest, I also found that that was in line with Square's predicted figures, which showed that they fully expected FFXV to sell less units in Japan over its entire lifetime than XIII did in its first week. Which does indicate that they pretty much intend to go for worldwide sales over Japanese sales as their business model.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 9, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

use rotating save files.

also buy ramza a gun

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

large_gourd posted:

it'll be weird to see the 'good' parts of midgar cos i think everything shown in the original is just under the pizza and is a poo poo hole

you spend way, way less time on the plate

it's like 2 screens you run through after reactor 1, and like 2 more during the raid on disc 2, and you never have any reason to stick around in them for more than a minute

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

lmao, I feel for anyone named Zack who decided to use their name for Cloud too

this happened to my cousin and as a result i ended up having to spend like an hour trying to explain the plot to him

the words "okay, but what?" were used frequently

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

“BASCH LIVES” shouts the register, as I shamefully purchase a half stale apple fritter

"I'M CAPTAIN BASCH" I scream at the terrified cashier reaching for the silent alarm, an avalanche of butterfingers spilling from my pockets

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dyz posted:

Is there a mechanical reason people dont like yuffie or is it all personality?

She's pretty strong mechanically. Inherent long range, one of the better limit breaks, ultimate weapon is good for morphing and strong enough in general. Personality wise she's mostly known for being really annoying to recruit without a guide and for that time she steals all your poo poo. Given that she's optional, she doesn't really do that much when she's not in your party. So if you aren't using her, your main impression of her is going to be that she's annoying.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

Clone was a bad mistranslation.

it's just a weird term for it, I wouldn't say it's a mistranslation. It's an attempt to replicate his abilities and connection to Jenova. I'm not really sure what other word you would use for it that wouldn't have the same connotations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Legin Noslen posted:

Have they released any info about the wild wacky action motorcycle guy? Only thing I've found concerning so far.

yes, they've said he's in SOLDIER

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Is Barret still going to have the occasional melee weapon? Can he still just strap a fuckin cannon ball to his arm and smack people with it?

there's a screenshot of him with the atomic scissors equipped out there somewhere

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bholder posted:

One thing I'm curius about is how they are going to handle the death of the Shinra president, I'm willing to be we are going to see it rather than just the results.

Also is FF7 the only Final Fantasy that has shown graphical blood on screen, I might remember that wrong.

I want to say that there's a little bit early on in VIII after Squall gets hit in the face but that might just be a red anime line instead of actual blood

ffx has blood but it's from a fish

XIV has at least one instance of it, I swear, I just can't think of what it is. possibly anime death cough.

crisis core has it where you would expect but that's like, basically still VII

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And your actual best friend in Heavensward.

Was there blood there? I mostly remember it being a kind of lightsaber cauterization effect because it was a magic related fatality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

stev posted:

What gets me is that everyone went on about how brilliant ARR was after the disaster or the original release. How did it get so popular?

People are exaggerating how bad it is. It's fine. It has a bit of a slow start, and a couple of rather dull bits, but is overall perfectly adequate. But it leaves a bad last impression on people because it's immediately followed by the Post-ARR questline, which is aggressively bad. And then it gets compared to Heavensward, which is very very good.