Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I really liked the environment work that went into the reactor as a location. Has a nice progression from "reception area" to "worker prep" to "maintenance storage" to "the actual facilities."

On the twist: I'm not too turned off by Shinra's escalation, even if it could have been handled in another manner. It certainly highlights how ragtag AVALANCHE is and how much more control the electric company has. I haven't looked at any spoilers so I'll have to remain curious on whether Jessie's off-hand mention of there being someone who gets her passcodes when no one else in "command" will talk to them is a Shinra agent/Turk since as I recall the original implied they lost people trying to get those codes (or at least in the localization).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It auto guards, I think. The dodge roll you get from hitting the o button is kind of a trap because as far as I could tell it doesn't have iframes and most enemy attacks track way too well to dodge them unless you're already pretty far away.
The dodge is good for avoiding certain moves that you can see enemies casting over their name, like Guard Scorpion's EMP Field - you can roll out of the area of effect from melee range before it goes off. It's not so great for regular projectiles or (for Cloud) melee attacks you could just counter in Punisher instead.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

So, here's a thing. Heid mentions that Avalanch might be the same group that attacked President Shinra in the past. In Before Crisis (I know, shut it) Avalanch is behind an assassination attempt on him. While, hopefully, it's just a cute reference But perhaps not, as I've seen some datamined leaks from the former unreleased demo using Deepground as a name, which makes me hope it's JUST cute references and nothing more it is also "Hey, world building"
I thought much the same. (Also lol || is for Discord and [spoiler] is for these boards)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder how Supernova will be handled.
The penultimate act ends with Sephiroth casting it and the entire last game is navigating the solar system, doing a myriad of timed side-quests, all to try and mitigate the damage. If you do well enough you can continue the battle, otherwise you have to do New Game+ to try again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as Compilation material references go, there's mainly Before Crisis and Crisis Core to draw from (they can do some cheeky references to the others, but by and large they all take place after FF7). Before Crisis: Avalanche's attempt on President Shinra's life was at the beginning of that game (it turned out to be a diversion), and most of the story has to do with the Turks' history and pre-Barret Avalanche. Might inform some background details on Rufus, Heidegger, and the Turks. Maybe a cameo from Cissnei, even. Crisis Core is more about Zack's journey - might be referenced in Wutai and flashbacks. A non-zero chance of Angeal and Genesis namedrops if not appearances. The most Dirge of Cerberus is going to be able to contribute is maybe details about Vincent and some kind of Deepground presence.

Comedy option of the Mobius tie-ins bringing Wol and Echo into the game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

How are the weapon fights even going to work in this engine? Shadow of the Colossus type gameplay?
You have to hold off the Weapons with ballistae and cannon until the Dragonator is ready.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Terper posted:

Actually, they'll realize Cloud's a cheat and go on a date with each other instead
Is this the alternate route to the Barrett date?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Actually the only date they'll let you go on is the one with Gackt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Blue Mage wrecks shop in FFV, and Enemy Skill breaks FFVII's meager challenge on its knee.

Every other implementation does suck quite a bit though.
Eh, Strago's a bit of a wash since regular magic's so effective as it is, but if you count Rage, Gau's got some very effective options with relatively little investment. (You just have to know how the Veldt works and deal with a terribly unoptimized, low-information UX :v:)
Quina's set would be more useful if accuracy was better, spirit didn't nerf Mighty Guard so hard, and there were more enemy compositions with large numbers, but alas, proving your point there.
XI Blue Mage is in a pretty fine spot, if a bit of the Jack-of-all-Tradesy problem by endgame.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I replayed the original a bit after playing the demo and I wonder how they’re going to do the dialogue Cloud has in his own head.

Also you get a flashback to Cloud’s mom really fast. Hopefully they expand on her a bit, maybe even give her a name.
Nomura named her "Claudia Strauss" on the concept art, might just use that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If it helps at all, at an early stage of development, the ladies were one woman. Tifa was split off later and given a portion of Aerith's plot beats.
And for an extra amusing little detail still present in the art design, Aerith and Sephiroth were going to be siblings at one point and this was supposed to be hinted at by their similar hairstyle ridges.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, I remember hearing Yuffie was going to be a wanted Ex-Soldier or something whose skills changed depending on the bounty you read about her.
It's true. There would be a bunch of wanted posters and the last one you had inspected when you recruited her would determine stats/skills/level. She was also going to steal your money to try and help Wutai (and still give it all back), and the sub-plot involves thwarting a Shinra spy's attempt to blow up the mountain and level Wutai to make way for a Mako Reactor.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Kimahri makes a good healer taking over for Yuna who takes over for Lulu, though Rikku still has the better overdrive.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

bubbapook posted:

Finished the demo and found the combat just became incredibly frustrating at scorpion as I just couldn't seem to dodge or effectively block anything and went through all 15 or so potions I'd found. Is it actually possible to dodge attacks effectively? It didn't seem like there was anything like iframes in it and I seemed to constantly roll into missile barrages.

Also really odd that you have to fill a full ATB bar to use potions and that you couldn't set more than one instruction at a time in the combat menu.

I'll likely still buy it because overall it was fun, but the combat really didn't gel on my first playthrough. Also jesus gently caress that camera.
There are no iframes on the roll (currently - I won't pretend to know if there's like Dodge materia in the full game), it's for quick repositioning. The only attacks you can dodge by virtue of not having your body in range are things like Guard Scorpion's Electrostomp and EMP Field - but you basically need to start dodging about when the attack name pops up over the enemy name, not do a last moment Monster Hunter super dive. Blocking works against most ranged attacks including the missiles. The better trick for the lock-on targeting is that it focuses its attacks on the currently active character, so you can switch between Cloud and Barret as soon as you see like the Mark 99 Launchers starting and have a window to wail on the boss.

This Cloud solo video shows the dodge roll being used successfully a few times against the EMP Field (the player also eats poo poo a few times trying it during a missle salvo).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsr8KOYEKlg

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Was it always supposed to be pronounced Macko instead of May-co? Barrett is destroying my childhood.
Yep, Japanese vowel sounds, not Maori like the shark.
(Also why Yuffie is going to be "You Fee".)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

precision posted:

If they pronounce it Jee-NO-vah I'm out!
ジェノバ
Jenoba
Should be in the clear, that's a short e sound in English.

precision posted:

There's no way Jenova wasn't meant to be a reference to Jehovah, considering Sephiroth is similar to Seraphim and has a song literally called "One Winged Angel"
Probably a portmanteau of Jehovah and Nova. "New god" certainly fits some of the themes present.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If this sells well they ain't gonna make ff6 remake they will just make more ff7 instead. The lead producer straight up admitted it as such.
That said, Kitase's expressed personal interest in a FFV remake, at least.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried googling this to find out what it means and got no results.
If you were being serious,

TV Tropes posted:

Chuunibyou (中二病 / 厨二病), often shortened to chuuni or chuu2, is an often-derisive Japanese slang term for the embarrassing behavior of 13-to-14-year-olds. The term literally means "Middle [School] 2[nd Year] Syndrome" (often translated as "Eighth-Grader Syndrome" in US media). Despite the name, it can manifest in people of all ages.

As a colloquial term, the exact "symptoms" of chuunibyou aren't entirely set in stone, but in general, a chuuni acts like a Know-Nothing Know-It-All who thinks of themselves as more awesome than everyone else because of experiences, abilities, and even special powers that they clearly don't have. Imagine a kid trying to convince you (in the most obnoxious way possible) that they're an accomplished Ninja who could kick your rear end, and you kind of have the idea.
The three main "types" are people who pretend they're hardcore when they have clearly never been in a real fight, used hard drugs, or been more than mildly inconvenienced by life even; people who pretend to be part of a "cool" subculture without knowing much of anything about it beyond maybe aesthetics (like someone wearing a mohawk at an office party to be "punk"); and people who pretend they've got special powers and a real identity of like Elvendish Angelkiller when they're not forced to hold back their power level to prevent destroying society; might try using a lot of foreign language they think sounds cool but don't really understand. Doesn't have to specifically be those, but affecting traits like that is the basic gist and "chuunism" can just be being quirky in that manner. (Although the term originates in Japan, they themselves see the roots in works like Don Quixote.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 17, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think the nuance of that description is a little off, the idea is more that they're pretending to be the main character of an anime.
I mean, it's been through tons of memetic mutation from the original use of the term (a radio personality who just used it to describe any kinds of childish behavior exhibited by kids that age), so the things I brought up were just broad descriptions from the Chuunibyou User Manual by Saegami Hyouya (your description is closest to the "Evil Eye" archetype).

Wanna see that anime Don Quixote now though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

I have often said that Nomura designs plots with the same sensibilities that he designs character outfits.
What's the Nooj of plot beats?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yN3JeFrfRQ

Here’s a pretty good history of the ff7 development and it covers where some of the scrapped concept and ideas ended up
A fun bit to add to the chain of projects getting bits and bobs from the same general pool that wasn't quite clearly emphasized (given the video's focus on VII) was that Chrono Trigger inherited unused/unfinished ideas from the Secret of Mana development as well. A whole lot of rolling shifts at Squaresoft seem to have stemmed from the Super Famicom CD project falling through.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Jessie will have a big role in the 4th remake game, subtitled "The Maiden Who Travels the Planet."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Clarste posted:

The unorthodox level up systems are like, the least weird part of any given SaGa game.
Akitoshi Kawazu's platonic idea of an RPG is one that can emulate playing a tabletop game without a firm grasp of the rules. He loves the idea of not being able to really figure out the systems programmed into his own games.
And that's how we got Unlimited Saga.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WildSparklingBluejay-mobile.mp4

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Weapon S Project...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Remake Final Fantasy VI in the Ehrgeiz engine.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dissidia doesn't have quest mode. :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They reskinned a Valkyrie Profile game, finding yet another way to deny Hrist her divine right.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It was all a set-up to put Tidus at minimum level for FFX-3: It's One Again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll do the Etrian Odyssey method. Having a first part clear save game gets you a special badge in part 2. The badge does nothing.

Having a first part COMPLETE clear save game (all sidequests complete, all optional superbosses downed, fully maxed materia, the maximum amount of unique items, etc.) gets you a special crown in part 2. The crown also does nothing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The webcomic crossover no-one expected.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My son is also named Butz.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz9QWTcbXYE
It's at about 2:58. You can see Barret doing a sliding smash-uppercut with the Atomic Scissors.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, there's always Sealed Book...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7hqbXXy98

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cloud will actually only beat you up - the camera will swing around and he'll attack it head-on.

The gallery will unlock this cutscene and it will be labeled ASMR.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They made a new date and it is with Palmer.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vanrushal posted:

Aerith's name is about as dumb as any of Vincent's poo poo, EU included. Aeris sounds better but is also phonetically identical to "heiress" which I guess is thematically appropriate but still too on-the-nose. But goddamn I EARTH loving sucks so much.
It simply rhymes with actual Biblical-age given name Cherith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The ending will now be Cloud explicitly saying directly to Tifa "so you think if I jump in the Lifestream again she'll go on another date with me?"