Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I found that a good strategy if you don’t know what to do is engage punisher stance -> block-counter, if nothing else you get a guaranteed hit in and in some fights it triggers an actual mechanic.

Anyway, I just finished the game and I’d like to say (actual spoilers) haha Nomura baby what are you doing why is zack here, why did we have to fight the actual, literal, not-an-exaggeration Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

stev posted:

Does dodging and blocking ever become compulsory? I cannot be hosed to do either and have been able to heal through everything so far.

Yes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The funniest part about doing the stairs is that the music slowly gets more and more hosed up and cloud starts moving slower and slower the higher you go

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The whole sequence right after the plate comes down where you’re walking through the sector 6 and 5 slums and see and hear all of the survivors just trying to collect themselves and get away from sector 7 in case poo poo starts snowballing was loving incredible, and probably my favorite bit of what the remake expanded on compared to the original.

Pollyanna posted:

Counter is in this game!?

Cloud counters blocked melee attacks automatically in Punisher stance, and the weapon skill from his final sword is a more powerful counterattack ability.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 13, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ymgve posted:

What do you mean by "Max level concentration"? Also, what do you mean by three triangle moves? I can only do the uppercut one?

Tifa’s first skill (unbridled strength, iirc) doesn’t do damage directly, it charges Tifa up and changes her triangle attack, with one for a single stack and another for two. Using trisngle burns a stack.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

in a masterful troll, the finished game will have the final boss be 30 helicopter guys fish that cast sleep instead of sephiroth if you have it on hard mode

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Caidin posted:

The Shinra building is a loving trip, I feel like I'm in some kind of weird sinister Epcot attraction.

I really, really hope the Gold Saucer when we get to it just leans way into Shinra being nega-Disney.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

:vince:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

d0grent posted:

so I'm assuming if I forgot to steal the aerith weapon from train graveyard boss then I can't complete the weapon abilities battle report?

You can go back and steal it in ng+ using chapter select but you have to go through the whole train graveyard again and complete the chapter for it to stick.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

In the original FFVII mastering a materia would spawn off a fresh copy, so the same mechanic might have been in tie at some point and got cut for balance concerns.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Augus posted:

The script and acting are uncannily good compared to any of Square’s non-FFXIV output in a long time. What the hell happened that just made everything click?

Presumably every single person in the company realizing that if they hosed this one up there’d be untold hell to pay.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Aerith’s abilities are hilariously useful, her basic ability is a Doublecast zone and nailing a pressured enemy with Ray of Judgement is a guaranteed stagger half the time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

the Behemoth is probably the best executed fight in the game, honestly, no stupid gimmicks and the strategy is intuitive, and the arena is big and wide enough to let you really feel the character mechanics.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc the remake is running on unreal engine 4, which has been for plenty of open world games, so linearity is probably just a creative decision more than anything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

bare bottom pancakes posted:

I don't understand the fight with Rufus at all, and I definitely won because of the enhanced guard materia and having elixirs to spend. Don't know how I'm going to handle him on hard if I decide to play it again.

Braver he rear end when he reloads.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lmao god dammit, someone just pointed out to me that Tifa’s “sporty” outfit in Wall Market is a Chun Li reference

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

what makes it a chun li reference and not just a chinese dress

It’s blue and gold and Tifa also has her hair up in double odango. Also, “sporty = chinese dress” doesn’t make sense unless you’re thinking of famous martial artist characters in videogames

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Biggest possible advice if you’re having combat trouble is to switch characters more, they never actually say it but the combat is very clearly designed for you to be jumping around to different party members pretty regularly, among other things enemies are programmed to get a big aggro spike to whoever the player is controlling and switching often lets you spread the love.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Best way to describe the combat in 15 is “what if we took every lesson we learned from the last 15 years of designing ARPG combat for Kingdom Hearts and just did everything the wrong way, on purpose, as a joke”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Best song in the soundtrack (spoilers for chapter 17):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOtzx-fXTY

When that bossfight started and it was all orchestral I admit I was kind of disappointed, because I like the synthier side of FF music and the original was definitely one of the greats of that group.

So imagine the grin on my face when the final stage starts and the music changes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

zakharov posted:

The classic boss music kicking in as the Airbuster fight begins after like a half hour of buildup is quite a moment.

Airbuster is the first time the actual boss music kicks in in the original so it’s extremely fitting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Re: sector 7 debris - it is a little bullshit, but I figured that the plates themselves are mostly hollow from utility piping, internal tunnels etc. and the plate also clearly didn’t come down in one piece like it did in the original, it was more a progressive disintegration as all of the supports holding the plate together broke up. Could’ve been depicted better but I can deal with it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Heath posted:

I assumed the plate fell in large pieces and wasn't a straight drop

Well that’s the thing, in the original the plate does come down more or less as one piece like dropping a heavy book, but that doesn’t seem at all to be what happened in the remake, where its mostly a rain of large debris.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My hot take of the day is that VI is very good but the World of Ruin was a mistake

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

So if you want to know just how wrong a human being can be a friend of mine just said Barret's VA is not very good

There are definitely times where he goes a little over the top but he sells the small moments very well.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

Are there any notable LPs of games in the FF series? I'm reading Elentor's run of 7 and it's great. Given that most of the games are breakable as hell it's cool to see it run by someone who really knows how.

Iirc, The White Dragon’s LP of 9 is insanely good and Cool Ghost’s LP of 8 is also hilarious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The best way by far to farm AP is to just blitz the shinra garage a few times spamming magnified fira spells.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The combat system is designed for you to constantly switch characters, if passive ATB growth were as fast as Active Battling then it wouldn't have that effect

Pretty much every complaint I’ve had with the battle system has been solved by switching more.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Stamp being different is just visual shorthand, a tip to the audience that poo poo Is Different, even in ways you wouldn’t necessarily expect.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I want a Stamp DLC.

I also want a Classic Model dlc, with a bunch of goraud-shaded polygons everywhere.

Square did a chibi version of 15 for the switch so I fully expect a Classic Proportion FF7R in like a year and a half

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the plate separation thing is designed as an emergency system to prevent the adjacent plates from getting damaged in case of a sector having some major structural failure, but I might just be confusing fanfiction I read 20+ years ago for actual explanations

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does a Phoenix Down work on the Ghoul boss in 7R?

It does not, though I believe it does work on the mobs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, I actually missed Barret AND tifa’s final weapons the first time around, but once you clear the garage there’s no more fights until after you can get both, so its actually pretty easy if you skip cutscenes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Barret is the osama bin laden of midgar, in that his cause is just and his target had it coming

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

This whole argument is extremely funny to me because given that FF7 takes place in a universe where A) an agnostic, judgement-free afterlife exists and B) the villains are, literally, sucking that afterlife up and burning actual souls for fuel, violent terrorism seems not only a reasonable measure to stop B, but almost kind of mild

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kill ‘em All 1997

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Really, really hoping that at some point we get a “my test subjects!” from Hojo in the same cadence as the cabbages guy from Avatar.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nomura’s character designs have always been extremely heavily inspired by Japanese street fashion, it’s not that he’s devolved or anything, its just that fashion has changed in 20 years

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Moola posted:

I'm voting for Domino

Honestly kinda surprised they didn’t restore Hartt’s name to Hut, to keep up the pizza city gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Scarlet/Tifa fight just becomes a Yakuza boss fight, where Scarlet rips off the dress to reveal a backless leotard and heretofore hidden bahamut tattoo