Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Original game spoilers are free, keep what happens in this one under wraps for now

It's the Final Fantasy, again! The seventh one, again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMaZVapb4I

Synopsis posted:

The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet’s very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him.

The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party’s escape from Midgar, and goes deeper into the events occurring in Midgar than the original FINAL FANTASY VII.

Final Fantasy VII is a JRPG that originally released in 1997 for the Playstation 1. This is not that game. This is Final Fantasy VII Remake (Part 1), an Action RPG... in HD!! currently exclusive for the PS4. This game covers the first section of the original game and takes place in Midgar only. The demo will Soon be upon us, according to leaks, so let's get this thread on tracks!

STORY

quote:

Mako─the lifeblood of the planet and the fuel that powers the city of Midgar...

By exploiting this resource through their Mako Reactors, the Shinra Electric Power Company has all but seized control of the entire world. A ragtag group of idealists, known as Avalanche, are one of the last bastions of resistance.

Cloud, an elite SOLDIER operative turned mercenary, takes part in an Avalanche operation to destroy Mako Reactor 1 in the city of Midgar.

The bombing plunges the city into fiery chaos, and amidst the raging inferno, Cloud is tormented by visions of a bitter enemy long thought dead.

After this hallucination fades, he meets a young woman selling flowers, who offers him a single yellow blossom.

In that instant, a host of swirling shadows surround them.

Once more begins a story that will shape the destiny of an entire world.

With new HD faces in new HD places, the story as well has been changed from its Perfect, Pristine Form it had in the original game, with more and extended scenes meant to breathe more life into Midgar and its characters both old and new. Yes, the Honey Bee Inn is still here, as is Cloud crossdressing.

Again, to keep it clear: we can't expect everyone to keep the events of the original story, now over two decades old, spoiler-free. That said, if someone comes in here and says they barely know anything that happens in the original, don't be an rear end in a top hat. It worked in Elentor's fantastic Let's Play of the original, it can work here.

GAMEPLAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEGRZ8itn7g

Okay I'm not gonna lie this combat system looks cool as h*ck and is the thing I'm most excited for. The bare essentials of the combat system were first explained in this segment from E3 2019 at 4:30, so if you want the barebones on how this works, check that out.

Quick rundown: It's an action game where you hit the Square button to attack. You have bars called ATB that fill in over time, and fill quicker as you land normal attacks. Once you've filled a bar, you can issue a command, such as using magic, items, or special attacks, which will then deplete one or several bars. You can either bind these commands to shortcuts, or press the X button to enter Tactical Mode, where you can select commands from a regular menu à la Final Fantasy VII.

There are currently four characters known to be playable: Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret. Each character has a unique command available via the Triangle button, as well as their own Abilities and Limit Breaks. You can freely switch between who you play as with the press of a button, and you can also issue commands for the other characters to do. Perform your abilities in tandem and form combos and you get some bonuses during combat!

To use spells and certain abilities, you must insert materia into your equipment. Different effects can be achieved by combining different materia in certain ways. In the above image, Cloud's Buster Sword has two materia slots that are linked together. By putting the Ice Materia into one, which lets Cloud cast the Ice spell, and the Elemental Materia into the other slot, the Buster Sword now deals additional ice damage with every swing. Materia can be leveled up to increase their effects, and equipment can also be upgraded to add additional slots and other neat stuff.

FAQ

Holy loving poo poo I'm so loving excited for the Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1, Jesus gently caress, I need to consume every screen and video for every minute detail, can you please help me aaaaAAAa
I cannot, but this dude on youtube has several 20-60 minute long videos going over absolutely everything released in incredible detail. I recommend checking out some videos if you're bored and very excited.

Is this really only going to cover the Midgar section of the game? That's only a couple of hours long in the original!
Aye. New characters, bosses, areas, minigames and gameplay segments have been added to add some meat to the bone. Personally, I expect a 20-25 hour long main story, with optional stuff adding to that. I don't have anything to base that on!!

Part 1? How many parts will there be?
Square has begun work on Part 2, and it is currently unknown how many parts it will eventually end up being. Expect 3.

Hey, the voice actors sound different.
Yeah, the whole English troupe has been recast. Their old voice actors will still play them in other FF related media.

Zarin posted:

Will we get all the available trailers linked in the OP?

I dunno, will you?
yeah okay

The Old Ones
When the game didn't yet exist, not really

Original announcement from E3 2015
Gameplay from December 2015

The Actual Game

May 2019
June 2019
E3 2019
September 2019
December 2019

Earith.

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The thread icon is layered like an onion, much like the story of Final Fantasy VII.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I want sassy bitch Cloud so badly. it was a big moment when I replayed FF7 (with the fantastic New Threat mod) a few years ago and remembered that Cloud isn't mopey for almost all the game, that was EU fuckery

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zarin posted:

Will we get all the available trailers linked in the OP later on, or am I going to have to use the search button on YouTube? <:mad:>

Posting in this thread to get it in the User Control Panel so I can follow it

You should already have them bookmarked on youtube, smdh

Okay, but just for you

mandatory lesbian posted:

Where is my Barret option in the poll, you suck op
That's for the Part 2 thread!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Holy loving poo poo I'm so loving excited for the Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1, Jesus gently caress, I need to consume every screen and video for every minute detail, can you please help me aaaaAAAa

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If anyone here still hasn't watched Tim Rogers going over FF7's translation then now's the time to get that started.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow, they made the story better.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/sharko_vb/status/1212566097867575296

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In the middle of all of that, Barret becomes an oil baron.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1212369415460671488

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Discussion > Games > Final Fantasy VII Remake - Huge Final Fantasy VII Fan Excited to Play It for the First Time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

rideable chocobos confirmed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

Think the demo will be out this month? It comes out March 3rd so a 1.5-2 month gap seems about right. I really, really hope they don't cancel it because of the leak, I really want to try the combat system before I buy it.

January 31st is when the og game released, so

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A month is a whatever-amount of delay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In fact, it's such a short delay I think it's quite possible that the main reason for it is not to add extra polish (but of course that's a bonus), but to push it into the next fiscal quarter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't that usually the opposite of what companies want to do? Though I guess if Square are a bit short of games in that quarter/fiscal year, it makes sense.
Avengers got hit with a significant 4-month delay that slapped it from May 15th to September 4th. They're both SE games, so it's quite possible they pushed 7R later to accommodate that loss. If 7R had like, a two-three month delay then yeah I could buy into some rough edges that need to be fixed, but a month? That doesn't seem likely.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tomorrow's the 31st which is the original game's anniversary so if we don't get the demo then, well, I'd be sad

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Original game spoilers are free, keep what happens in this one under wraps for now

Again, to keep it clear: we can't expect everyone to keep the events of the original story, now over two decades old, spoiler-free. That said, if someone comes in here and says they barely know anything that happens in the original, don't be an rear end in a top hat. It worked in Elentor's fantastic Let's Play of the original, it can work here.
I'm not a mod or anything and I don't make any rules or am able to enforce anything. All I can do is tell you that yes while the original game came out in ages past, this is not that game and has new story elements, and there is no need to have an attitude with that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Whether something has or hasn't I don't know, I've been skipping all the talk of the trailer as I'm not gonna watch it anyway, that was just in reply to Gologle's post.

e: And yeah trailers and officially released stuff are of course generally okay to talk about untagged but poo poo like the entire script being leaked is not something to talk about outside of tags.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

However, Aerith is standing next to Yuffie, Tifa, Reeve, Dyne, and Wedge for "people with weird bullshit names that nobody much would actually have."
Rude.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Justice for Barett, who never gets this talk.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Losen up oldie.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Literally 95 percent of people who buy this will have played the original.

Here's a hotter take: the majority of people who play this will not have played the original, and only have the vaguest notions of what happens in it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Do you have a link?
It's in the OP :argh:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Man, don't even get me started on WC3R.

Looking forward to the 7R equivalent of this writing

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1223114669021257728

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No Wave posted:

you just lose all your materia between games? sounds freakin terribad.

Happens in the Trails games every time, it's fine

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Perfect bodies people to fix leaky mako lines in the reactors! :eng101:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow I can't believe this releases in less than a week, so hyped,

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I'm making a jolly

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sneak Lemming posted:

I wonder if the Turks will still be leaned on for comedy value.

https://i.imgur.com/viNNbna.mp4

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I made this thread near the end of December because the demo leaked and I figured it was only a couple of days or maybe a week or two or so before it was made available

Anyway time to update the OP

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah it's very hectic and your fingers are all over the controller trying to keep track of all the commands you can do, but that's just normal growing pains. A couple of playthroughs and it'll be golden.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry Barret

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They actually have not.

They never said "episode 1 ends in midgar" or "episode 1 ends as they escape midgar". That hasn't happened. Post a news link if it has.

All they've said is "the game will be episodic" and things like "episode 1 will cover the first section of the game".

Its just its always seemed really obvious since the announcement of FF7R that midgar would be a very likely and convenient cutoff point. But Square has never said "yeah its just midgar".

I'm not "Holding out" for anything and I completely agree they're going to end it at Midgar. I've said that since the beginning. But I've also never seen any official announcement on that whatsoever.

The closest we've had to confirmation its just midgar is the official Square account has only posted pictures of the characters from Midgar. We haven't seen a single render of Yuffie or Vincent or Cid. But there's no hard confirmation, its just obviously what they're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvzzivkK28&t=172s

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LORE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spermando posted:

Oh so THAT's what a Stamp dog is. I was confused when Barret said that.
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1234455257062629378

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I agree, but I also think there's a fair bit of damage that you can avoid but will need some more experience with the system and controls ala Kingdom Hearts data fights.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It took me until basically just before the end of the demo when I realized, oh right, I have ethers, I should use those :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's the first 45-60 minutes of an rpg with talent trees and equipment and weapon skills, I'd wager there's a fair amount of +Speed poo poo you can get to bump up your characters. What we've played is just the baseline.