Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Based on the latest trailer, we might be getting sassy Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do we know anything about the demo? Will it give you a save file that can just carry across into the main game?

I might just wait till release if not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

In the middle of all of that, Barret becomes an oil baron.

The Planetís dyiní, Cloud.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, on the plus side, that's an optional materia that isn't unlocked until the end of the game.

Not really optional, considering you could only get the secret ending where they resurrect Aerith if you kill Sephiroth with it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Your guess is as good as ours.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Caidin posted:

Oof, right between R3make and Cyberpunk.

It's okay. One of them will almost certainly get delayed too.

I've been expecting Cyberpunk to be pushed back till the Christmas window basically since the date was announced. Think how many delays Witcher 3 had.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Isn't that usually the opposite of what companies want to do? Though I guess if Square are a bit short of games in that quarter/fiscal year, it makes sense.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CottonWolf posted:

It's okay. One of them will almost certainly get delayed too.

I've been expecting Cyberpunk to be pushed back till the Christmas window basically since the date was announced. Think how many delays Witcher 3 had.

Called it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Everything I watch looks amazing, but part of me still can't believe that SE have pulled it off.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Son of Rodney posted:

There is actually nothing in this planet that I anticipate less than some random gamefluencers opinion on a game that nobody has played yet. Prereview, are you loving kidding me.

Tim Rogers is good actually. Also, watch his FFVII translation series. If anyone is qualified to have thoughts on FFVII it's him.

He's also going to tear the game open when it fully releases.

https://twitter.com/108/status/1223374801181597696

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Was Cait Sith's accent always different from Reeve's? Or did Reeve speak with a bad Scottish accent too? I honestly can't remember.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Dirge of Cerberus confirms that Reeve has Microsoft Scotsman.

They've clearly changed that then, because in the trailer Reeve doesn't have a Scottish accent, so I guess Cait Sith won't either.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think they're gonna do Cloud beating the poo poo out of Aeris in the remake but that's absolutely what's happening in that scene

I think they keep it. It's the perfect illustration of just how hosed up Cloud is by that point.

Being horribly uncomfortable is the point of that scene.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just finished Chapter 2. My review:

Game good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

lol man (chapter 8 spoiler) it kinda sucks if you put lightning>elemental on cloud's sword before airbuster like a big smarty man and don't realize you'll have to fight reno, who's resistant to lightning, right the gently caress after it

rip my rear end hole, this game is so much harder than a normal jrpg

Actually, it's not a bad tactic. It's how I beat him. I'd had that set-up on Tifa for the Airbuster, but I changed it to Cloud after dying once in the Reno fight, because it adds elemental damage, but also gives you elemental resistance. Getting electricity resistance in that fight is clutch, even if it drops your DPS a bit.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

Elemental resistance only happens if you have on it armour though

I see I placebo-ed myself to victory then.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wall Market Collusium: Oh my god. Hell House. How did they manage to make loving Hell House a highlight of this game?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 11, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Speaking of Yuffie, given how much more referenced Wutai has got in this game than the original, I'm almost expecting a Wutai game as one of the parts.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

esperterra posted:

One might argue that Tifa is still best girl. Jessie however is a solid contender.

Wait til you meet Madam M.

I might be coming around on Aerith being best girl. Tifa's still ahead in the CottonWolf Best Girl ratings, but Chapter 12 gives her a very strong showing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

PunkBoy posted:

I love all the small details in this game.

Chapter 9 Spoilers
The announcers during the arena fights were hilarious, but I was completely taken by surprise during the Hell House fight when they had an unique callout when I summoned Shiva.

So loving cool.

Yeah. That got me too. When I summoned Ifrit.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I want the full version of Let the Battles Begin! from the dance training minigame. That was a bop.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Candlekeep?!?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megasabin posted:

Is poison materia worth leveling up in this game? I feel like in the older games it just sort of existed. Enemies generally weren't weak to it compared to the main elemental spells.

Chadley wants you to, and you don't want to disappoint Chadley.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just finished it. The ending is audiatious, and great. I am very excited for Part II of ???.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pollyanna posted:

Holy gently caress, how do I do this battle in chapter 17? The one with like 6 bloodhounds where you only have Tifa and Aerith. I get completely mobbed for 600hp/hit.

I just Firaga'd them with Aerith, and then Starshowered them to death with Tifa.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sindai posted:

Yeah, this is my biggest complaint about the game. There are a lot of materia and it's unlikely you'll have exactly what you need for a specific fight. Too often I find myself using most of my ATB just spamming cura on all 3 characters while slowly grinding through a fight.

While the materia system in general is fine I've grown to hate how heavily it restricts your access to spells coupled with how the game loves to play the "you must use exactly this element at exactly this time" card.

My tactic was usually, if a battle's taking too long, restart out of that battle, fiddle with my materia set-up and go back in. I personally was fine with that being the way to do it, because every boss fight becomes a puzzle boss and it comes down to executing the correct strategy when you've worked it out, but I completely get why some people would like that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

Personally, I like the Normal difficulty a lot. I have a few mechanics complaints, especially with how Blizzard and Aero spells work being dumb as gently caress and the dodge roll being kinda useless, but by and large I enjoy the level of challenge. But I understand the people who don't and find it really frustrating that they sort of need to redo battles sometimes to take the "right" approach.

I actually got a lot of use out of the dodge roll. It's good with Cloud and Tifa, especially Tifa. Not with Barret and Aerith though. I agree on the Blizzard and Aero issue though. The game clearly does too, because when you get hit with it, you actually get stunned until the explosion unless you're blocking. Something that doesn't happen to enemies, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I enjoyed the combat enough that I'm actually going to go back and play it on Hard in a week or two, which is something I almost never do with games.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sapozhnik posted:

where is the Parry materia obtained?

Ya boy Chadley has it. I think itís the reward for the stagger gauge to 200% challenge.

Chadley is weird and I donít know why he exists. Is he an android? Is he a child? Is he just small?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ASenileAnimal posted:

oh god no not the spear guys that turn you into a frog again

Single worst enemy in the game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arrrthritis posted:

It's a real fun system but it's a little unclear as to the "right" way to play it.

The fact that it fails to teach you the fun and designed way to play it was a flaw with XIII too, which, considering they share a lot of DNA, is perhaps not surprising.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It's the switch from in-engine to FMV. I get it, but it does jar a bit. I actually think that the in engine stuff looks good enough that the FMV was unnecessary, but clearly Square didn't for some reason or other. (There's probably a good reason for this, but I'm no game development expert.)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrNutt posted:

Lmao I love how chapter 18 immediately transitions from a pretty pitch perfect recreation of one of the most iconic sequences of FF7 (the escape from Shinra HQ) to BUCKLE THE gently caress UP, BECAUSE poo poo'S GETTING WILD NOW SON

I knew something was going down as soon as the "you cannot record this scene" prompt came up. It's like holding up a sign saying "We're off the rails now".

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tifa's triange combo ups the stagger gauge.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

As far as I know, yeah. And no it wasn't in the original

I didn't. I got a scene with Tifa instead where Cloud hugs her as she cries.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The DPS check on the first reactor boss is currently getting me on hard. It's healing for more damage than I'm putting out. I clearly need to switch up my build...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

Maxed out prayer is almost as good as curaga, anyway

But two ATB, so it's much more difficult to pull off in a pinch.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

Barret's voice actor is really doing some work in these later chapters. The entire English cast is good but Barret especially has been elevated from what was, if we're being honest, a caricature in the original to a relatable and engaging character in his own right.

Remake Barret's character is great, I just think he's the least fun to actually play as. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but he just felt less powerful than the other three.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maybe it's just me then. He just didn't click for me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DLC Inc posted:

is there any kind of fast travel/backtrack part to other areas in the game? I'm only like in Ch. 8 but wondered if that was even a thing.

Depends on what you mean, but I think yes in both potential senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

If I'm about to wrap up Chapter 14, should that be 20 sidequests completed? Not sure if you're supposed to get the trophy before or after finishing the entire game for the first time.

Mechanics spoilers:
I think 24 if you've done everything in a single playthrough? Also, you can't get the trophy the first time through, as one of the chapters has two alternate paths giving 26 total side-quests. You get a chapter select on completion though.

E:

Dackel posted:

Don't think you can get that one in your first playthrough right? Because it's the divergence in wall market following M or Sam path or did I miss a different one

Yep.