Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, me being the clueless person that I am, I wasn't sure about something but somebody independently saw the scene exactly the same way.

AVALANCHE'S bomb did little damage in this. It was Shinra causing their machines to go haywire that led to a much more dramatic explosion. So AVALANCHE are not murderous terrorists in this.

Fuckin' called it. Then again, so did a lot of people.

I don't really like that change. Feels like it was done just to make the leads less morally grey.

Elentor posted:

You could have the cake and eat it too by having Heidegger ask Pres. Shinra if he wants the anti-bomb unit or whatever to disarm the bomb and Pres. Shinra went "no".

This would be a good compromise.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Who wants to bet people online are going to try to turn this into a “Han shot first.” type scenario?

President Shinra: Maclunkey!

Weasling Weasel posted:

Barrett shot first.

I think you'll find that was Scarlet.

Chillgamesh posted:

Well at first I was gonna say game was 0/10 confirmed dogshit because Barret doesn't say the line on the elevator but then I heard this and now I'm seriously going to suffer waiting for this to come out on PC

https://youtu.be/Gc8IBpoFPW8?t=1454

That was funny, but it felt more like a Yuffie thing than something for Barret. Especially at this point in the game when he's at his grumpiest.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 1, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Webbeh posted:

Folks are already datamining some resources from the beta: https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1212513660293304321

(read Twitter thread, spoilers on folks that haven't been shown yet)

VII Remake's got leaked hard. Even the final boss has been posted. No surprise that it's Jenova-Sephiroth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait seriously?

Yes. https://imgur.com/a/m9hPLxR

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Caidin posted:

Tseng is kinda spooky looking.

Yeah, I don't know why the Aerith image is getting so much flak when Tseng looks like he's contemplating a lunch of babies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What's with all the naked hairless people in the screens, lmao

Placeholders are so weird sometimes

You can see President Shinra and Cait Sith in the Honeybee Inn in the original game, so it's canon that they get up to some weird after hours activity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Elentor posted:

Jesus christ that Lifestream police is gonna be bad isn't it

It already makes no sense with Advent Children in mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Apparently there's some new dialogue where Hojo talks to Aerith about how he killed her mother, then cut her up and cataloged all of the pieces for study.

:stonk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is there a summary of the extended universe stuff anywhere? I never played anything except the original game.

- Before Crisis: There was an older version of Avalanche that was even more extreme terrorist than the main cast and they tried to kill President Shinra. Also, apparently there was a Jade Weapon that got killed around this time.

- Crisis Core: Zack goes on an adventure that has pretty much nothing to do with him and everything to do with an evil prototype Sephiroth who looks like Gackt. Also J-Pop.

- Advent Children: Sephiroth's lame brothers show up and get killed. Cloud becomes a Super Saiyan.

- Dirge of Cerberus: Hojo uploads himself to the internet and also there are a bunch of dumb characters who fight Vincent. Vincent becomes a Super Saiyan. Also Gackt returns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, after hearing a bit more details about those weirdo Dementors in the remake, I have a theory.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is both a remake of the original game and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus meant to finish out the compilation. Genesis and Weiss from DoC's secret ending are going to get up to some time-fuckery and mess with the canon events of the game, trying to bring about a better future. Or some stupid poo poo like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I didn't fully believe that theory until you said that.

Now I'm almost positive that's what's going to happen. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Caidin posted:

You'll be awful disappointed by the surprise boss encounter with Verde the green riding a raptor with Genesis's hair then!

I actually do wander if they'll bother to explain what if anything happened to Zacks other friends from CC but I kinda doubt it.

Maybe we'll kill Kunsel in the remake. :unsmigghh:

Chillgamesh posted:

If SE had any sense they'd treat DoC like SEGA treats Sonic 06, by pretending it doesn't exist and just saying "oh yeah haha whoops" whenever they can't avoid talking about it. This is also how the cast of FF7 should treat Vincent in the remake

But Sonic 2006 was in Sonic Generations, a game celebrating Sonic's history!

Has there ever been a game about Time Police in this series? Seems like a thing that would fit in well.

Oh yeah, the XIII sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope the Dementors won't be involved in that sequence, though I wouldn't be surprised if Aerith got shoehorned in there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cactus posted:

Knights of the round :lol:

Well, on the plus side, that's an optional materia that isn't unlocked until the end of the game. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

I think there was a theory somewhere that the ghost dudes of time have something to do with the "Remake" title. As in they are trying to remake the events that originally happened into something else or to restore it after something else changes them.

Yeah, I posted that a few pages ago. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is both a remake of the original game and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus meant to finish out the compilation. Genesis and Weiss from DoC's secret ending are going to get up to some time-fuckery and mess with the canon events of the game, trying to bring about a better future. Or some stupid poo poo like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't want a remake of IX that makes it weird, but I'd also like a remake of IX that gave Freya more screentime and fixed the translation issues. :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

What translation issues? IX is generally regarded as one of the best-localized FF games, as far as I know.

I think the plot got across fine. There's just a number of mistranslations when it comes to names:

- Hill Gigas becoming Hilgigars.
- Dahaka becoming Taharka.
- Shinryu becoming Nova Dragon.
- Marilith becoming Maliris.
- Skystone becoming Pumice.

And so on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Is there any FF where couerls aren't massive dicks ?

X maybe? They were kind of nothing mobs by the time they were introduced in that game.

And in IX, you could instantly get rid of them with Level 5 Death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDets1_G9gQ

New trailer dropped for FFVIIRE, It has Crossdressing Cloud and a loving TONNE of other poo poo but that's the one you're all here for.

Too much Sephiroth and the Dementors are still dumb. Looks great otherwise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Barret is definitely benefitting in memorable lines by virtue of this game only covering Midgar. It's nice to see.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how many Jenovas will be in the final game. Seems like more than three, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

one of the compilation's very few good decisions was giving him a brick-thick fake scottish accent and they had better stick with it so help me god

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, it's the correct way. The name is Scottish.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Was Cait Sith's accent always different from Reeve's? Or did Reeve speak with a bad Scottish accent too? I honestly can't remember.

Dirge of Cerberus confirms that Reeve has Microsoft Scotsman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I swear to god Carry Armor is by far the hardest standard boss in the game

I don't recall ever having trouble with that guy. TotA probably had the hardest story bosses for me. At least until I got Great Gospel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Midgardsormr. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like I remember seeing an interview where it was mentioned that scene initially involved them walking out of a chocobo stable the next day and straightening their clothes, but they thought it'd be too silly of a gag so they cut that part.

That said, I choose to believe that the intent of "they smashed" is still there. :colbert:

Found it:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's all well and good until Deepground attacks. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You never meet any SOLDIER 1st Classes except Zack and Sephiroth. They were the elite of the elite, I guess. No fodder for them.

I definitely remember SOLDIER 1st Class enemies being in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yuffie is great and I will hear no words to the contrary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot that Hedgehog Pie was in VII. I mainly remember that from that really obnoxious minigame in IX.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

That's every minigame in IX.

I won't hear any bad words about Chocobo Hot and Cold. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Also carbuncle isn't a summon in the original FFVII is he?

Nope.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Barret: Lets go Merc!
Cloud: *ollies off train* Right.

*screen fades to black

*fake twitter page appears next to 'Loading....'
Cloud: really nervous about my first mission!! <3 #planetsdyin

What is this, Kingdom Hearts III?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

have I lost my mind or isn't it straight up text that powerful materia coalesces in mako reactors, such as huge materia?

Not just the reactors, but caves as well. That's how you get Knights of the Round and other rare Materia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kith posted:

My team is going to be Cid and Yuffie because nothing brings me greater joy than "Cloud's world-saving adventure with some Self Actualization on the side" happening because he was accompanied by an angry old man going through a midlife crisis and a conniving little poo poo who makes incredibly awful puns.

That was the team I always used.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

V is kind of a cheat since you (technically) only have four party members the whole game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Put me down for you stop the plate collapse letting you continue exploring sector 7 and save Avalanche.

Also removes the Turks big inarguable in your face crime.

Even assuming it failed, that wouldn't erase the fact that they tried!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

there’s even a tasteful patch to the original

:golfclap:

I hope Palmer gets hit by another truck Butterfinger after he launches everyone into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No Wave posted:

apparently one of the crap sequels has rufus survive his unambiguous death scene. really hope that does not make it into this one.

The way it was done is kind of funny. Rufus calls Cloud out to the middle of nowhere to have a conversation, which basically goes along the lines of

"Rufus Shinra?"
"You're probably surprised to see me alive."
"What do you want?"
"The story of how I survived is actually quite compelling."
"Why did you call me out here?"
"You see, it all started whe-"
"Yeah, I don't care. I'm leaving."

And then no explanation is given. :allears:

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

man, as much as I love the original game I’ve never been interested in any of the sequels or spin offs and the more I hear about them the more correct I feel I am to just continue ignoring that poo poo

Advent Children is pretty dumb, but it's at least watchable with a handful of good moments. Crisis Core is also decent, if you ignore all of the poo poo with Genesis and the ending being overexaggerated significantly compared to the original scene from VII.

Also, apparently the canon explanation for how Rufus survived is "emergency evacuation trap door", which sounds stupid because I'm pretty sure Diamond Weapon blew up the top half of the Shinra Building while Rufus was shown still in his office.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 28, 2020