Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RatHat posted:

Was anyone else taking a lot of seemingly unavoidable damage? Are you meant to have to chug quite a few potions? I think I used around 10 throughout the demo.

Yeah I had that. I wasn't sure how much of it I was supposed to be able to block through, but there were a lot of attacks that couldn't be evaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed the demo way more than I expected to. Considering how much of a clusterfuck FFXV was on PS4 I expected this to look and run terribly but it's beautiful and silky smooth.

I'm still not on board with splitting the story into an indeterminate number of chapters, and the fact that they haven't advertised this as "part 1" or committed a plan for future installments is scummy as hell.

I'll wait for reviews. If they manage to maintain this level of fun and make it feel like a full game without going down the Hobbit route of overstuffing it with any old poo poo, then I'll pick it up at launch. Otherwise I'll wait until it's £20.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's really annoying that Cloud slowly puts away his sword each time you use it out of combat. So if you have multiple boxes that you want to break you have to wait for him to sheathe it every time.

Just let me swing around like a lunatic, game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Onmi posted:

So you hated the original game?

It's obviously not the same thing though.

Having to run around and autoattack a bunch just to use a potion was annoying. I get what they're going to but I think items at least should be free-use. With their own cooldown if they want.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

For FFVII pros, was it ever explained why Cloud is good at fighting despite not being a SOLDIER?

No you see Cloud is in SOLDIER, it's clearly explained in the demo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just remembered Red XIII isn't playable in this so I'm no longer excited.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ocarina of Time was pretty huge as far as remakes go - though it obviously wasn't as big of an overhaul as this. Shame it was on 3DS.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't notice while playing the demo but the remade boss theme is really weak. It doesn't have any of the punch of the original.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elephant Ambush posted:

How are the weapon fights even going to work in this engine? Shadow of the Colossus type gameplay?

Kaiju fight with summons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I honestly can't imagine Square keeping the combat, levelling systems or anything else consistent between the parts - so keeping your save would be pointless.

They can't help themselves to tinker and reinvent. Part 2 will probably be an RTS or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TommyGun85 posted:

with there being no branding or marketing of this as being 'Part 1', I think it will all be DLC also and will be released sooner rather than later.

I can't see them releasing three quarters of the game - presumably including an open world - as DLC. If that was the plan they'd have announced it by now.

I think the best we can hope for is that it integrates seamlessly with the first part and can be purchased/played either separately or as one big game.

It'll be years though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ulio posted:

I'd like to also say the game is super easy from what I saw in the demo. I played both normal and classic, I think I didn't use any items,. Kinda hope the front of the game is just easy. I never finished ff7 but remember the start being actually hard and even this specific mission.

Lol the demo was loads harder than the OG reactor section.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Who the gently caress pays £60 for games?

Nail Rat posted:

some lovely gaming news site (IGN)

Sick burn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly I don't know if people would care that much these days. 'Major game character/love interest dying' isn't really a mind blowing concept in TYOOL 2020.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want a Switch port that doesn't look like a poo poo mobile game like every other attempt Square has made to port those games does.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this isn't hugely shocking.'

We're on our third remake of the original Pokemon games. Hell, we're on our third remake of Medievil for some reason. I've been doing game reviews for... gently caress me.. almost 20 years now to the point where I am now regularly encountering remakes and ports of games I reviewed when they first came out. If you count reboots we're even further along.

I'd love a remake of MediEvil 2, or a third game. The first never really grabbed me but the wacky Victorian poo poo was great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It's fairly easy to see that phenomenon in FF15's design, too. It's very obviously attempting to pour the franchise into the mold of contemporary western AAA games, presumably because they see the western market as the franchise's future.

And they somehow failed to realise that Western gamers don't want their JRPGs to be the same as their Western games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NikkolasKing posted:

This gets into the eternal argument about "what even is an RPG let alone a JRPG?" but what of the Dark Souls games?

I admittedly know little about them but they're giant open world games too, aren't they? With none of the heavy-handed storytelling you expect from a JRPG?

And yet everyone everywhere raves about them, Japan or the West.

Eh Dark Souls is sort of a beast unto its own. I don't think people really play it for its traditional 'Japanese' appeal the same way someone would play a Final Fantasy game for dumb anime shenanigans.

It's definitely a game influenced by Western mythology. A big reason it's so beloved is that it did a lot of new things. It's a quiet, lonely game set in a small, interconnected world - but it's also incredibly rich. And people love the combat obviously.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember one time I went underwater and Emerald Weapon was right there.

I was always scared to go down there afterwards until I killed him.

poo poo like this is why I always hate underwater sections in games. Who knows what the gently caress is lurking down there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Have we seen anything about what happens between the chapters? Can we actually explore Midgar at will or will it be more like Astral Chain's 'explore this small isolated area that's accessible during this chapter'?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadget posted:

I think anyone that is expecting this or any other episodes to be open world are going to be sorely disappointed.

Corridors then?

I really don't see how they'll make the other parts non-open without seriously kneecapping the whole experience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Getting a huge XP boost is half the fun of beating a boss. I'm always disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Numbers must go up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Onmi posted:

The person doing the LOTR comparison is on point.

Assuming they've already nearly finished the other parts and they'll be released annually, sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sapozhnik posted:

Twice as much content doesn't necessarily mean twice as much good. Pacing also matters. Persona 5 had something like 70 hours of content but the pacing is terrible, at least 20 of those could have been dumped without sacrificing anything in terms of plot engagement. So many conversations that are repeated practically verbatim.

The extra stuff could well be quite good in its own right but it better be something better than Poochie the Biker With Attitude

This. I have no doubts it'll be a great time, but stretching out a prologue with 40 hours of "content" does not a complete game make.

It's going to be The Hobbit of video games. But it's at least shaping up to be enjoyable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

infraboy posted:

Is it too early to speculate that they would do an FF8 remake? They could probably use a similar combat system instead of the old draw system, the game did have some spectacular settings and soundtrack as well.

I really don't see that happening. VIII is great, but it doesn't have one tenth of the mainstream popularity that VII has.

Non gamers hear Final Fantasy VII and go "oh yeah, Cloud, big sword goth guy, I remember that". I don't think any other FF game would garner the same sort of familiarity. I can't see Square pouring the same level of time and resources into any of the others.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I want a gritty as gently caress VI remaster. The cartoony look of every existing port doesn't suit it at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zakharov posted:

I decided to play X-2 for the first time a few days ago. Is the entire game an anime music video?

Yeah it's great

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super No Vacancy posted:

theyre not episodes theyre all full games

No, they're 40 hour episodes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It is incredibly weird that they kept the title as just FFVII Remake when they already knew that more parts were incoming.

It's really lovely. So many people who like FFVII but don't follow games in TYOOL 2020 are going to buy it thinking it's the whole thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Only if they're idiots.

People who see an advert for "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and buy it thinking it's a remake of Final Fantasy VII are idiots?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Could this be one of the rare cases where pre-ordering a video game is the sensible thing to do?

No, but it's definitely more justified than usual. I just hope Amazon UK is getting it early. :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elentor posted:

FF7AC has taught me that after you suffer severe blood loss, you can finally unleash your trick that automatically defeats the enemy in one go.

I hope that after they finish with FFVII they release an epilogue that covers Advent Children. I loved that dumb terrible movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

These sidequests feel like a thing that I'll hate.

Has anyone said roughly how long the critical path takes to complete? I know people were floating 40 hours for the whole game but I mean without the bullshit busywork.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TommyGun85 posted:

...a lot of the busy work (so far) is mandatory.

Oh no.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wolfsheim posted:

At some point in the next few weeks some dude is gonna storm into the thread pissed that the game ends at Midgar and its gonna be extremely funny when it happens

That'll be me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The real surprise is that the game doesn't end in Midgar. It ends on the chocobo ranch and you can spend the post-game taking care of a chocobo

If they can fit in the whole Knights of the Round sidequest then I'll forgive them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Was talking to the guy at my EB when I picked it up and he's pretty sure that corporate okayed it because they're sure they're getting shut down next week as non-essential and didn't want to completely miss out. Which like. Understandable?

Why is it still open now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TontoCorazon posted:

Lol if you buy anything physical these days.

The PSN store is charging £60.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadget posted:

If only I understood German, I could get my copy early. Unless Germany also sells English copies...

Games sold within the EU generally have all EU languages included.

Or at least they used to I don't know how it works these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I watched half of that trailer before reaching the conclusion that it's basically all of the major cutscenes in the game - why would they release that, why.