Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kobal2 posted:

Are those the FFRK sprites ?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Clarste posted:

It does sound like a working title, doesn't it?

On the other hand it's like going "Here, you fuckers, the thing you asked for, for DECADES"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDets1_G9gQ

New trailer dropped for FFVIIRE, It has Crossdressing Cloud and a loving TONNE of other poo poo but that's the one you're all here for.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Caidin posted:

Its weird that Barret is now this dude that crawled out of the decimation of his hometown brought on by the betrayal of the company he trusted; stapled a gun to his wrist stump and started a terrorist cell dedicated to the destruction of Shinra and now on his midnight raid on one of their primary facilities where AVALANCHE murders the entire security team he plants a bomb that will kinda wreck a control panel for the couple hours it would take Shrina to fix that.

Keep in mind that even in the original game, Jessie is shocked at the exact level of destruction the bomb wrought. It was never the intention to do that much damage, but Barret as he does in VII-RE, says that nothing ever happened without people dying. I agree that it's kinda annoying that Shinra are the ones who blow it up instead, but at the same point, it doesn't change that if it'd been Barret's fault, he would have been fine with it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I thought that was confirmed years ago.

It was, and has basically been repeated, but people... don't... believe it?

Like... people forget this game had to restart development because they originally had Cyberconnect2 working on the game, came back, looked at what was done and went "What the actual gently caress?" And tossed it all.

Actually not all surprising this isn't remembered, as the information of this has basically vanished from the internet, like scrubbed from existence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

For people who are dealing with Guard Scorpion being too much of a damage sponge, remember to keep slamming it with thunder, which will generate huge amounts of stagger, and also smash through the barrier it throws up in Phase 2. Each leg you shatter in the final phase also makes stagger go up.

This is very XIII in that you want to hit staggers fast, and do all your damage in that burst period. You can take him down absurdly quick if you do that. 5 minutes is the speed kill I've seen. and that's without staggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRH5Mkb8Mt8

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, here's a thing. Heid mentions that Avalanch might be the same group that attacked President Shinra in the past. In Before Crisis (I know, shut it) Avalanch is behind an assassination attempt on him. While, hopefully, it's just a cute reference But perhaps not, as I've seen some datamined leaks from the former unreleased demo using Deepground as a name, which makes me hope it's JUST cute references and nothing more it is also "Hey, world building"

EDIT: when you're on Discord too much...

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 3, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Is it really so unreasonable to assume that Jessie botches the bomb just like she later botches the ID cards?

I mean... it's hard to botch a bomb that goes from "Small explosion that can blow up a room" to "Blow up an entire plate basically." Which is the result of the explosion here which is the setting of Chapter 2, where you see that EVERYTHING is hosed up beyond all get out

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 3, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

The problem with the "they didn't actually kill any innocent people" view is that Cait Sith later explicitly calls out Barret on killing innocent people. Reeve obviously knew what was going on and it's an important part of Barret's character that at one point he was so consumed by rage that he could justify murderous terrorism.

Counterpoint, they do kill innocent people, and the fact that the bomb blew up all of Sector 8 in NO WAY makes Barret change his plans. Shinra escalating the issue certainly makes Avalanch seem more impressive, but they still kill plenty of innocent people to do their terrorism.

Like if the game stops and they got "Haha we actually killed all those people!" You might have a point, but since it won't... you're still responsible for the deaths of innocents.

Like.. Barret still is, even if Shinra's the one who blew it up, guess what? Shinra wouldn't have blown it up if Barret hadn't done it. Just like Barret blames himself for the Sector 7 plate drop, because even though Shinra dropped it, it was a result of his actions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So we have a bit of time scale in that Airsweeper and the Sector 5 Bombing Run are Chapter 7

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

some Guard Scorpion experimentation

- Phase 2 can be ended early by using fire on the core. the core's immune to lightning, but the bot isn't.
- Barrets focused shot consumes ALL his ATB, but a two-bar shot deals around 60% stagger. so he and Cloud can force a quick stagger to skip Phase 3.
- In the final phase, taking down a leg immediately brings the boss to around 80% stagger. So use Punisher and Overcharge to quickly whittle it down, and then use your ATB on stagger phase to get the quick kill.
- Use your limit breaks at the END of Stagger Phase. As it automatically brings it to an end, as does pushing a phase.
- Switch between your characters. They gather ATB so slowly AI controlled, you need to be swapping between Cloud and Barret to get their ATB up and then coordinate their attacks to drive the Stagger gauge to full.

You can kill Guard Scorpion in around 2-4 minutes by using his weaknesses and learning your abilities.

This is the sign by the way of a good action game. Because your first fight with Guard Scorpion, Oh it takes so long to kill him, but if you learn your abilities and how they work on the boss, you can utterly crush it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 3, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope the full game lets you adjust the materia situation. It kinda feels like they gave Barrett the thunder materia specifically so that you're not just using Cloud in the boss fight.

You didn't get access to adjusting materia until you got out of Reactor 1. We already know Materia customization, along with weapon customization, are main systems in the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyEkIPvm4g

The Guard Scorpion speed kill is down to around 3 minutes. This fight is absurdly easy once you know the strats.

Which is good, that's how an action RPG boss SHOULD BE.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

I don't know how I feel about magic being gated by MP and also gated by ATB and also essentially being gated by controlling the character that has it equipped because you basically gain no ATB otherwise.

So you hated the original game?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I'm getting unreasonably annoyed when I see people talk about the combat in this demo and compare it to XV's combat or say it's the same because I begin to wonder if they also believe... I can't metaphor right now, but two things that are anything but the same, only sharing at most superficial elements.

That said, there is a game this combat is comparable too, that game was never released. This game plays almost exactly how Nomura described wanting vXIII to play. Most notably in the way the game's combat works with ATB combo's and Nomura's own stated desire for player-made combo's in 2011 for vXIII

quote:

* You can combo your attacks across character changes -- that is, you can keep your combo going when you switch the character you're currently controlling. As an example, you can make the scarfaced character do positional damage with his hammer, then switch to Ignis, or you can make the enemy shrink away in fear from Ignis's magic then call in another character to attack.

While it doesn't seem that big, if you go back and watch those trailers and read the interviews around the game it's pretty clear that this is yet another thing from vXIII that Nomura is finally getting to use, no, he is not bitter, why do people keep asking him that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jC2uMmfnmI

Guard Scorpion is down to 2:55. Which is faster than the average speed on classic Guard scorp.

This game clearly rewards being aggressive, and I dig that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Alright, who made this decision, and can we fire them.

Fake Edit: Apparently Kitase was the one who came up with the compilation in the first place. This is like doing a remake of FF4 but adding references to The After Years... then again TAY is nothing but references to FF4... And they still acknowledged Dalton ending in CTDS...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I don't have a PS4, does the demo do anything new with my boy Wedge

blue mage is one of those where it's cool in theory but basically every implementation of it blows

Portrays him as very dyed in the wool believer. Where as Biggs mostly seems to be here because he wants to gently caress Jessie, and Jessie seems to be here because she's a thrillseeker. This is still the first 'real' mission.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So here's a question in more game design thoughts than necessarily story thoughts but.

How do you incentivize players to use Aerith? Aerith worked in FF7 because her death is sudden and unexpected, but now her death is pin point accuracy and extremely expected. And people just have a habit of not using characters who are gonna die. Like... I see people just not use Aerith when they play classic FF7, because why bother to spend time on a character who's not gonna be around forever?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

Assuming she dies at or near the end of a part, the question is meaningless because each game will be entirely separate. It's not like the levels or materia you get in Part 1 or 2 are going to even remotely matter in Part 3.

I sure hope it does, because... without like Save carry through, I'm entirely uninterested in an episodic RPG concept.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's not episodic, they're sequels where they already know roughly the direction the story is going in. They may well not even have the exact same mechanics, if they decide things need reworking.

Let me repeat myself: I am entirely uninterested in playing multiple games covering a single narrative where nothing carries over.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zushio posted:

The Trails games all do save import between chapter of individual sub-series. Sky 1 > 2 > 3 you got bonus items depending on your rating and your level carried over if it was within a certain range. If you were under the range you get bumped up in the next game, and if you were over you get cut down a little. You could also start each game fresh with the characters already at the appropriate level and no bonus items.

The Crossbell sub-series and Cold Steel sub-series do roughly the same, except for Cold Steel 3 since it was an entirely different console generation than Cold Steel 2 (this will likely be a non-issue going from PS4 to PS5, but PS3 to PS4 saves were not compatible AFAIK). It worked really well in all the games and gave good incentive to get a high ranking (sidequests and events). The games themselves are SNES/PS1 style RPGs, easily my favourite RPG series other than Yakuza. They do have a tonne of SNES/PS1 style hidden sidequests and events though, so unless you want to play a dozen times a guide is recommended.

Yeah like the Sky series is where my mind goes for "If I'm gonna have a game that's covering all this, I really want to carry over some." Like... I ain't asking for the level cap in the first one to be 50, the next one to be 100, and then finish of at gently caress it, 200, Disgaea Numbers. But I want... I want if I upgraded my materia a certain way, for that poo poo to carry on. I don't want to start game 2 and "Oh all those upgrades you did to your swords, yeah gently caress em."

EDIT: Same for the .Hack games, but they concluded at level 150. in the GU series.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 5, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdm82eAskeQ

Guard Scorpion is down to 2:36. Christ. That's quicker than an average fight with Guard Scorpion in the original (There's of course, limit cheese, but we're discounting that)

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e60f6e5547c9-guard-scorpion-comparison.php

I did a video mash up for anyone looking for a comparison

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 5, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Does Barret not have a Limit Break in the demo? I haven't seen anyone use Big Shot.

He does, but a lot of limit build is based on damage taken and who you're controlling, so most people get it for Cloud first. I think whoever causes a stagger also gets a chunk of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Consider, we'll likely just... get to play Zack's last stand.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

But FF7 definitely toyed with "were Avalanche's method's too extreme, in that they had blood on their hands from killing innocent civilians?"

Which they still do. In chapter 2 you can hear a lot of the civilian chatter in the disaster zone, one guy mentioned he was meant to be going into the reactor to work tonight, and if he had, he'd be dead, not because it blew up but because Avalanche would have killed him for being in the way

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXSzY046fQ

And that's 2:30 broken, god remember when I was like "Ah down to like 3-5 minutes"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Good poo poo.

How are you doing that jumping air dash right at the beginning of phase 2?

Not my playthrough (I don't even own a PS4, I'm just living vicariously through others right now) I think you can do it by hitting the attack button, or holding it. Since there's a certain amount of Dash that Cloud will do to get towards his opponents with his attacks

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3U8jfJnkfw

Christ taken down to 2:22. Are they actually going to crack 2:20?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I did my thesis about FFXIV (And Anthem as a comparison point) and how that project went tits up and the full extent of it. The basic summary tho is that XIV didn't just have the decency to gently caress itself, it basically hosed everything in and around the company until ARR finally hit. Like... everything with XV can basically be brought back to 1.0 being an unmitigated disaster.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Last thing I want to see is my good friend FF4 with cheap looking RPG maker sprites and backgrounds, and smoothed over text that makes me want to dry heave.

and they should quit remaking the music. Like real actual music existed when these old games came out and I still thought the music was great, it doesn't need to be "improved"

FF4 just has an ugly 3D PC version and an actually good looking PSP version

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sentinel Scorpion is officially faster than FF7 gameplay, having been reduced to 2:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4L2HeVcOg

Here's the video of Dickus doing it, along with a comparison video.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e663ed4520b5-guard-scorpion-ff7-vs-remake-comparison.php

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

When I saw the weird beclawed Shinra troops I was so happy since I figure they'll be keeping most of the enemies as is. Maybe they'll even keep in the Hell House! Though without random encounters I bet a lot of enemies just get cut.

We've seen Hell House. And most other enemies in Midgar. Pretty sure they're all in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

bustin keaton posted:

Really hope the characters either shut the gently caress up 90% of the time, or you can switch off character 'banter'. Absolutely killed FF15 for me – not only is it painfully I'm aware raise one eyebrow look at camera, but we're talking about 40+ hour games that run out of new quotes after half an hour of fighting.

None of the banter in the demo was at all "I'm aware, let's break this 4th wall!" So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Question, is the Retranslation mod of FFVII any good? The uh Beacause one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Barring anything else popping up, it appears the fastest Guard Scorpion can be killed is 2:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp2NIknL41c

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I appreciate nomuras dedication to chuunism by making sure he was shot for the interview slouched in the dark, with shiny hair. Also his statement of "So to remind myself of the game I went and watched a bunch of let's plays

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If you've not watched the video

Yeah Nomura deciding the best way to conduct the interview is in a dark room, with some light spilling upon him, while he slouches. And everyone else is giving normal interviews. He's such a dork.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still nowhere near Yoko Taro's level.

I do think they have very similar personalities, but Yoko Taro's is way more shy. But Nomura also gives the impression of being very shy and wanting to avoid the spotlight. Thinkin' to the promotion, he rarely gets involved on the giving interviews side, even when he's a producer. In comparison to say Kitase here. to play internet armchair psychologist, he strikes me as the kind of person who's very introverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think that "episodic" means it will be released like episodes from games like The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange. They should have used a different word.

Well, technically, before any of those, there's the Dot Hack games, which were made by Cyberconnect 2 who was originally brought on to help development... until they were summarily shitcanned and all reference to development trouble they had with the game was wiped from the face of the internet with a bloody vengeance. And those games did all come out in basically the same year... buuuuuut also those games were way smaller, and less in scope.

The person doing the LOTR comparison is on point.