Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SE teasing people, accidentally or not, since 2006 probably pulls it a good deal ahead of other games that are just similarly really popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Going back to the ATB stuff, I think there's an interesting dynamic to how successful aggression and mechanic usage feed into themselves, but getting a third party member and stuffing one with better Cure spells will probably help stave off the situations I've seen in streams where players having trouble get stuck making Cloud and Barrett toss potions at each other instead of using their offensive skills.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Summonsare apperently a contextual thing, not something you can do whenever. Possibly, it's not entirely clear yet.

According to Maximilian's impressions they're only available during bosses. Based on some trailers I think it's a little more broad, but still something that only happens in designated encounters where a dedicated "Summon" meter appears to build throughout the fight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’ve been selling KH3 for dirt cheap.

You can also get All The Kingdom Hearts bundle for real cheap in a sale these days, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see FF7R Complete or w/e getting pretty cheap whenever that long road ends.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PT6A posted:

Does Cloud cross-dress in the remake? I'm okay with deviations from the original to a point, but if they cut that... I'll smash them!

Based on the trailers Cloud crossdressing is one of the main things they want people to know about.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just based on the demo, there are skills that explicitly build more stagger than others, and enemies have weaknesses that will unbalance them and make their stagger build faster in general.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blizzard and Aero spells really feel like they have a bad habit of whiffing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

I love you Andrea but goddammit stop holding your hands up in front of my button prompts I swear to god

At least it's surprisingly lenient compared to most minigames. The item (a music disc) is tied to the practice session and the trophy/earring doesn't require a perfect, just like 20 Great inputs iirc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like the combat a good bit, but I think it's inarguably spikey in its difficultly curve and way more demanding than FF games on average. The weirdest part is stuff like the sewers where a new enemy type will inexplicably just do tons of damage while everything else around them feels more or less normal for that part of the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BlueTide posted:

Gotta make that money. Classic corporate poo poo. Completely ironic given the story of the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some weak-rear end poo poo and have Shinra "redeem" themselves at some point.

Extremely greedy for this game developer to develop a series of games for money.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, they do? Tifa, Barret, and Jessie all react to the bombings and the general results of their activities in pretty strong ways.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

That girl on the train supposed to be Yuffie?

Overall,m I have no interest in ever playing this game myself because turn-based supremacy but I've missed these two and I'm having fun.

Nothing major but nonetheless:
No, she's a side character that shows up again later on and ties into some sidequests.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's been "Aerith" since at least 2001.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Again, this is pointless.

Oxxidation posted:

we're getting further afield from the original topic, but this is still true!

the idea that you can somehow decouple human nature and intentions from the institutions they create and perpetuate will always be so baffling to me

lol, posting in the climate change threads should get you perma'd for your own good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

You all engage with the Final Fantasy franchise how is "hot anime dudes popular" a surprising thing

tbf the guys being hot is something online gamer dudes have been mad about for decades

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To this day I'm genuinely unsure where the fact that Ifrit is the source of the starscourge comes from.

e: glancing at a wiki even that might not be right, lol

e2:

ImpAtom posted:

FF13's story is really not complex or hard to understand and I feel like there's a level of performative to the 'it's so confusing I just don't get it.' Like FFXV's story is genuinely harder to understand because it ties a bunch of poo poo into movies, anime or DLCs and basically only carries itself on the basic premise of "Four friends on a road trip" which is strong enough to make up for that.

yeah, I've never played 13 myself, but having watched a bit of an LP years back I didn't find the terminology hard to keep up with.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tales of the Abyss is a good example since people call it confusing when 90% of the "terminology" is just saying fonic/fonon instead of magic/mana.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FF13 was actually infamous for having bosses that just used a timed Doom spell if you were too bad at the combat to kill them fast enough.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'infamous' for putting a doom counter on 15 mins into a fight. The amount of people that legit saw the doom counter on non-eidolon fights has to be single digits. There's no way people are that loving terrible at slightly more action focused gameplay.

Didn't say it was reasonable, just that I definitely remember the game catching heat back in the day for those timers despite all the other criticism that the auto-battle command meant it played itself.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're probably gonna play it straight and it'll probably be as okay as it was in the original, but until we get there I feel like it's just gonna retroactively make how they've written Remake Aerith and her relationship with the party feel like lame playing up of the meme sad moment.

Gaius Marius posted:

If Shakespeare wrote a sequel to Romeo and Juliet where they both lived and ended the feud it would be a bad play.

It'd be good if it was executed well, and bad if it wasn't.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think that's just a natural difference between being the sole playable and a party member.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It gets forgotten between Smash games, but Sakurai absolutely gets a ton of hate from Nintendo weirdos who think not including cranky kong or w/e means he hates western fans.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

His legacy is cloud's incredibly messed up head

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that's unfortunately pretty common in general to this day, yeah. A lot of TL issues arise from, among other things, having to deal with a bunch of text dumped on you with little context as to which lines go together or their place in the game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the wackier ps1 ff translation story is that the ff8 localization team weren't given any script files and had to literally gameshark their way to the text

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

either that or trying to be really hands on wrt a language they don't know and overriding the people who do is pretty common, yeah. that said there are people who get it or were convinced by translators (usually in smaller instances like VNs and stuff) and are a lot more helpful and cooperative

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the ff8 loc team had to hack the game to get their job done. as in, with gameshark

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it'll be anything like zack or aerith's presence being in itself bad, but there will probably be some dawning sense on at least on aerith's part that the fate they broke from was a broadly good one and sephiroth's goals are back on the board somehow.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Console SP star rail is just the Trails series, that's the open inspiration to the point Falcom did a promotional interview for it.