Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Terper posted:

Wow I can't believe this releases in less than a week, so hyped,

Bad news buddy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm sure there's some contingent of people who are holding out for a surprise swerve of there being content past Midgar.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Very rude to drop a demo on a Monday morning imo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Part 2 ends with Aerith dies absolutely and without a doubt.

Unless the game is actually going to be four parts I think it better they shuffle a bunch of things around and end p2 with the Weapons being released and Tifa waking up in Junon. Final shot is of the meteor in low orbit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Has any game successfully done a 'transer save between games' excepting like the old, old RPGs that were designed around the idea?

.//Hack series did it pretty ok. Though one could easily say that it was 1 game simply split into 4.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My interpretation of the end of the demo is Avalanche totally intended to blow the reactor but they're a bunch of amateurs who can't competently make a bomb. Shinra wants to scapegoat them but they know they have to be actual terrorists for that to work so they cover for them. I bet making them terrible terrorists is intentional in order to humanize them more.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Excited for the literal stop sign enemy you can fight after Jenova escapes the Shinra cell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

never played FFXIV, but Phantom Train can only kick rear end if youre allowed to suplex it.

Bad news about the PT fight in XIV, then. Story goes that the devs had little idea that the meme was so popular. The fight is still really interesting though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Utgardaloki posted:

actually the motorcycle escape kicked total rear end

This sequence is hype as hell in the original and I think it'll be the big centerpiece in the Remake.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember one time I went underwater and Emerald Weapon was right there.

I was always scared to go down there afterwards until I killed him.

I think any time you exit the sunken plane down there Emerald is literally right in your face.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just name everyone SEPHIROTH like a normal, well adjusted individual.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't think of no better place to end (at least one of) the part(s) than with Tifa waking up in Junon looking at the meteor.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Chapter 1 and most of Chapter 2 have this very goofy feel. Then the game takes a shift in tone to a bit more like Final Fantasy X.

Yeah once the plot settles in the game actually gets pretty real. Not that the game ever abandons the pop vibe entirely, but it does get pretty serious. Also I goddamn love X-2.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure it expects you to fail.

It must, because there's a bucket right at your feet where you start and taking a single step will fail you.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't see this mentioned very often but changing into punisher stance is itself briefly a counter window. So if you understand your basic attack you can combo around in operator and then change into punisher right before an attack hits and then counter it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bet Vincent will build meter with ranged attacks then transform into his monstrous forms for melee attacks. You get to choose the form and each one has its own Limit Break.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Should I play the original first?

Should you? If you want. It will contextualize the Remake differently. It is by no means required. Though, perhaps selfishly, I am very interested in someone's opinion of the Remake who doesn't have a fierce nostalgia of the original.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's one thing that I especially like about this game is that all the weapons are not incremental, but instead fill different niches. So you can use any and all of them at pretty much any time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah you're not really losing much by blowing off the battles with cheats or whatever. It stops really being a game at that point though and more of a VN but that's not really a condemnation either. I still enjoy the old school-ness but that's almost all nostalgia.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Leathal posted:

Just beat the Coliseum in Ch 9, holy poo poo that last boss hahaha. That whole section has gotta be the best part of the game so far.

But I’m confused about Wall Market side quests (or lack thereof). Madame M gave me one of those “the story is moving ahead” choices which usually means you need to finish side quests except...I haven’t found any.

I want to finish as much of the content as possible on my first playthrough so I googled and it looks like the side quests all require you answered in a certain way and made certain choices earlier in the chapter? Am I locked out of doing them until hard mode now?
As far as I can tell you can elect not to do sidequests but you cannot miss when they appear. IIRC after you commit Aerith to Madame M you get some sidequests (if she was your sponsor and not Sam).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some of the battles are really uneven. Like the turtle enemies in the sewers. Their jump does 1/3 of your total health in damage. Couple that with being able to straight up be canceled out of any action you do and waste your ATB and you get a very frustrating fight when you fight 3 at once at the end. Worse than the bosses so far!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell House is my favorite fight in the game so far. That video stresses me out though since it feels like an eternity between when the shield drops and the player finally decides to go into the menu and cast a spell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

where is the Parry materia obtained?

It's a Chadley reward.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The weapon report says to acquire all 16 weapon abilities, but there are 24 total weapons (6 per character).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The worst is building ATB as Aerith then executing Pray only to have every enemy hit you at once to stun you out of it, losing both the Pray and both ATB bars.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ymgve posted:

I might be misremembering, but I think it was the reward for the Coliseum battles

They are, and you can get Cloud and Aerith's the moment you can do free battles there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Where do you get the Enemy Skill materia? I'm in chapter 13 and haven't seen it yet.

Chadley reward for assessing a bunch of enemy types.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They can put as much of that weird stuff into the game as they want, I just wish it had more accompanying exposition so we don't have to deal with rampant speculation for two years.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I at least hope they answer our current questions and just raise new ones to speculate on in the next installment.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An old friend of mine, a giant fan of the original, won't touch this game with a 10 foot pole until the full thing is released. Hope he's okay waiting 10+ more years for that. This is a great game with a solid playtime attached to it so I just think he's being arbitrarily obstinate.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The first time I felt like there was obvious padding was when Aerith suggests a shortcut to Sector 7 but the collapsed highway takes ages to traverse, complete with *three* crane puzzles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they keep the exact same battle system, it will almost certainly just be that you swap out your combatants in the menu outside of a battle. Any places with a story will just have everyone loiter around or subtly fade out of existence when a battle starts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like filling out my weapon trees but it looks like you *need* to replay on Hard to even just get to level 6? Annoying.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I find it really funny that the Nail Bat is a reward that a child gives you. Thanks kid!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Ugh where am I supposed to get this Judgment Ray ability, that makes two playthroughs where I've missed it now

Ray of Judgement, Aerith's skill? It's on the mythril rod. You can find it in the train graveyard or you can buy it in Chapter 14.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shinra gets away with one they made in the Nibelheim reactor before the party starts looking for them. This way the party always has to infiltrate the rocket even if they acquire all the other ones.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Cloud after Cid's rocket crashes into meteor: "Rufus and the other's plan was a failure."

YEAH NO loving poo poo YOU SPIKY HEADED MORON YOU STOLE ALL THE MATERIA IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LOADED WITH

You can put the game is such a state that Shinra gets away with all 4 of them AND you fail to retrieve them from the rocket. The outcome is the same!

Shinra's plan was bad, but the game didn't put a lot of thought into explaining why outside of SHINRA EVIL.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Door restoration mod works by deliberately overloading your graphics card's VRAM buffer so it can't load the texture.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tidus will always be Hey You, or Him, depending on the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will be forever scarred by the prospect of episodic releases because of Half Life Episode 3.