Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

al-azad posted:

Thank you FF7 for resolving a 25 year old bet on how to pronounce Marle. Now I can rub it in my friends face who insisted it was Marley.

you coulda just showed them how it was pronounced in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ymgve posted:

Whenever I switch characters in combat it's a 50% chance I end up with the wrong one because I never remember which order they switch in.

there are shortcut icons beside the other party members for L2 and R2 that indicate which button will cast spells for which - if you press right on the dpad you'll switch to the R2 member, and so on

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Onmi posted:

In the games ending Sephiroth tells Cloud "Seven seconds until the end... Enough time for you, perhaps. Let's see what you do with it." someone went and timed the scene in the original game we're talking about, and it's 7 seconds for Sephiroth to drop and stab Aerith

The game cuts from Sephiroth's seven seconds thing to Zack apparently surviving his final stand.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

LeafyOrb posted:

So how is this fight against 6 bloodhounds with just Tifa and Aerith even remotely doable. They interrupt anything I try to do and kill them both super fast.

I died like seven times and then got really lucky by having Tifa run to the corner and spam Chi Trap.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Kin posted:

It's weird how much nostalgia it's triggering while i play this just from the music alone though.

there's a part during a boss battle towards the end where the music quotes the original song and then after like four or five minutes the actual song kicks in and it's hype as gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cait Sith no one has ever used and no one ever will

playing as Cait Sith is the single thing I am most excited for

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mulva posted:

I mean Zack got the poo poo kicked out of him by Sephiroth and died to randos. Conversely, Cloud lived. Lets not downplay how bitchmade Zack was.

it was literally hundreds of infantry and they left Cloud alone because they thought he was already dead

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

If anything Tifa's voice acting sounded really weird and wooden in the beginning but idk maybe I got used to it.

tbh this makes sense plotwise

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

personally I'm excited to see how they rectify the weird harsh disconnect between Incredible Machine Cities, Midgar and Junon, and then every other place on the planet being a lovely little dirt town

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My wife is watching me play this game. She has never played the original nor does she know the story so it’s been a loving trip so far.

what did she think of Cait Sith

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

just block until it starts to do something then hit it with the right spell

Onmi posted:

You know, I think the thing people tend to forget, if I'm not wrong, is that Sector 7's top plate also had people living on it. So it's not that Shinra dropped the plate just to kill the 50,000 or so living in the slums, but also everyone who lived top side.

yep, and then they publicly blame it on avalanche

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

edit: oops double

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

yeah - the thing I've seen with spells is that the higher tier spells do more damage but not necessarily more stagger, so if your enemy's pattern is "needs to be hit with this element to cancel big death move" just throw the tiny one at them

I'm about halfway through hard mode and it's basically not possible unless you get used to doing this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

I feel like if the combat wasn't so good the linearity of the game would have been way more noticeable.

the combat is so good that I was honestly annoyed whenever it wasn't linear

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

Hey but seriously can we talk about Chapter 17 how hard the JENOVA theme pops off in the third phase of the Jenova Dreamweaver fight because god drat

I was floating five feet in the air from pure joy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Fondly reminiscing the time I spent trying to convince my friends that FFX-2 had the best FF gameplay and they all refused to play it because of extremely thinly veiled misogyny.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

From what I remember of that, you really want to focus on getting rid of all of the smaller guys, since the big guy uses them for ammo. Luckily Barret's Maximum barrage is really, really good at killing smaller guys

this is true, but also, in Hard Mode, the boss casts a spell that makes all the little guys immune to physical damage

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

the dodge has no iframes, it's just a way to get away from something slightly faster and is pretty useless for anyone besides tifa

there are a lot of unblockable attacks that you can dodge completely as long as you time it correctly

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Here's a question- how much harder do the enemies seem on hard vs. normal, ignoring all the other limitations that mode puts on you? Because if the power difference isn't that big and it's mostly a matter of needing to learn to really conserve resources, I can see it being manageable. If you can't restore MP or heal easily AND everything is twice as strong as it was on normal, I think that's a big NOPE.

I feel like stuff does more or less the same amount of damage, but is generally tougher to kill. You really have to take advantage of the enemy's weaknesses.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

FFVI is a great game but the idea that it's anywhere close to the cultural behemoth that is VII is an Extremely Online Opinion

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

gently caress melancholy, it's 2020, I could use some more happy endings. Even if it does render the plate drop almost meaningless.

iirc the intention with the ending of the original game was that every human dies

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I only realized about 75% through my Hard Mode replay that you can cancel the recovery frames of Barret's basic attacks, and most of his abilities, into Charge.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People overlooking FFXII on best FF discussions always makes me :tizzy:

I like video games, not spreadsheets

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Y'know we've got a spoiler thread for all these black bars.

this is the Nth time that someone has posted this and yet remains the 0th time that anyone has linked said spoiler thread

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I understand how to pronounce his name now and I expect a Scots accent, but drat if Cait Sith didn't sound like Ed Wynn with a hard Brooklyn accent in my head when I was young

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

"Advent Children ruined Cloud" is another way to say "I saw Advent Children as a kid that was too dumb to understand the concept of a character arc"

like the movie has a lot of problems, but "wrote the characters as having to deal with the consequences of the thing it is a sequel to" is not one of them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Adus posted:

what is Cloud's character arc that causes him to go from 'Let's Mosey (to save the world because I care about poo poo now)' to 'i'm sad about Aerith again so that i have to isolate myself'.

The whole movie is about the difficulty that Cloud has in understanding who he is, as a person who has spent a large amount of time being a person that he very much was not. He isolates himself from his friends because their interactions with him remind him of the person he was trying to be, which hurts him.

He feels particularly guilty over Zack and Aerith, of course - Zack more or less sacrificed himself for Cloud's sake, and Cloud feels guilty that he repaid him by attempting to steal his identity.

In Aerith's case, one reading I've been interested in lately, which I believe the Remake supports, is that Aerith knows from the get-go that Cloud isn't who he says he is - even in the original, Cloud is shown wielding a fairly distinctive sword that we know once belonged to Zack. It's difficult to get accurate character readings in the original because of how awful the English translation is, but I feel like a lot of Aerith's dialogue in the Remake supports this. Anyways, point is, he also feels particularly guilty about Aerith, because he feels like he stole Zack's role in this story, and ultimately failed where Zack presumably would have succeeded.

It's like... he injected himself into these people's lives, and they all suffered, and sometimes died, for it. It's very sad.

Tifa also has an interesting thing going on in the movie where she's trying to get him to realize that he needs to move on from feeling guilty about not being a real person if he's actually going to be a real person ("dilly dally shilly shally"), but is also still habitually indulging him, like she does in the game - she lets him mope around for months and ignore the very real home and family they've built, and when the opportunity arises, she convinces everyone to hang back and let him fight Kadaj alone, more or less telling everybody "he kinda needs this right now" (remember, Cloud's whole idolization of Zack and being in SOLDIER was based on an inherent need to be The Big Hero).

There's a lot to be said about what Advent Children does wrong (Kadaj and co. are crappy antagonists and Sephiroth just sorta coming back is real dumb, many other things), but I don't think "it got the characters wrong" is one of them.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

berenzen posted:

important plot information being hidden in random spots that people might never actually look at

This, especially - the flashback scene that's hidden in Nibelheim is, arguably, crucial to the story, and I've spoken to a bunch of people these past few weeks who have just never seen it, because it's hidden for some reason!

khy posted:

I guess I'm just wary about it since it's priced at a full $60 game but comprises so little of the original game. That's why I wonder how well it stacks up and if it's worth the cost.

I'm more or less finished with it now, and I put about 75 hours in. It's frankly an improvement on the original in every way (yeah, I said it).

Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion: I like the new Sephiroth nipples.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dell_Zincht posted:

I think it's inevitable we're going to get some crossover with Before Crisis and Crisis Core

This already happened, even!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

:pseudo:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

DarkLich posted:

He only made sense as a villain in this game if you were familiar with the original game.

must have been really disappointing to all of the people who hadn't played Final Fantasy 7, one of the most popular video games ever made

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

zakharov posted:

The game is called "Remake" and you find it insane that some people wanted a remake?

the only remake I can think of in any media of any kind that was a complete shot-for-shot mechanically identical remake of the original was the 1998 Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho

which is, unsurprisingly, famous for being terrible

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's an entire generation of adults born after the original came out.

Super Mario Bros came out five years before I was born and yet somehow I've still played that game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have multiple friends whose first interaction with the game was the remake

I also have multiple friends who are children - I don't care what they think, of course

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

it's good, actually,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

maybe the reason it doesn't do that is because it's fairly obvious

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe for you! The only things I figured out was that he wasn't a car I could just whale on freely without expecting retaliation and 'Hmm, well there's two enemies here and they have a line connecting them. I should hit them with Triple Slash because that just ziplines me at any enemies nearby'

I probably should've figured out that Braver would immediately take him out but he recovered from stagger so quickly I was never prepared.

if you Scan him it says he's vulnerable to Sleep

hitting him with Braver during his reload animation is possible and a pretty fun way to approach the fight, but you can also just dodge his stuff until he's reloading and then cast Sleep on him

Braver still staggers him immediately if you hit him with it while he's asleep

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

spent his entire career completely misunderstanding FF7 characters across all available types of media

the short of it is that 1) characters have arcs and 2) it's not an artist's job to cater to your expectations

AC is meandering and strange but "it doesn't get the characters" has always been a stupid criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol what the gently caress

who gets butthurt and defensive about advent children in 2020? good gracious.

responding to a basic criticism with the word "butthurt" is definitely timely and cool